Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > NBA Team Forums > New York Knicks Forum

New York Knicks Forum New York Knicks forum - NY Knicks message board

Old 03-16-2011, 05:38 PM   #1
Sky2k8336

Default If Melo had waited until FA..

to join the NYK, we would have obviously been a better team. But how much better?

I'm not too familiar with the financial aspects of the game. I don't know when you can or cannot go over the cap, luxury tax or any of that. From what I remember you all saying we would have definitely lost Will either way. Feel free to add in who wouldn't have been able to return if you know.

But how good would the team have been? As far as seeding goes after the reg. season, and what do you think our ceiling would have been for the 2011-2012 season?
Old 03-16-2011, 06:21 PM   #2
knickscity
Knicks Board Moderator

Thumbs up Re: If Melo had waited until FA..

Personally I don't think there was a chance in hell he'd give up his money but.....

I'll give a rundown if Melo came as an FA......

We would have had our core for the upcoming season.

That mean Felton, Gallo and Moz, could have been Knicks along with Melo at the start of camp.

Chandler a restricted FA, could not have been retained because we would have to renounce his rights to acquire Melo, to create the needed cap space, unless Melo takes a starting salary of about 9 mil a year.

Chandler's cap hold is around 6.5 mil with a qualifying offer for one year at the minimum of 3 mil.

9 of cap + Chandler 6.5 = close to 15.5 for Melo

So in essence Melo gives up 18 mil in the first year to make at the most 15.5.

But keep in mind he is still losing money because we have no idea what the CBA will be.

If the CBA stayed the same he stands to lose between 4 and 5 mil per season on average.

Now here is a factor...Felton and Gallo need contracts now.

Do we balloon over the cap to sign Gallo at around 8 mil per, thus killing the CP3 chances or renounce him as well and use Felton's salary of 7.5 and Turiaf of 4.5 for a total of 12 mil.

We don't have Gallo's cap hold because we are over the cap now from signing Melo.

The best bet is to trade Gallo or Turiaf or Felton for CP3 in some type of three way to get CP3 and another player maybe a Center.

Does CP3 come over for 12 mil, as a free agent or we extend and trade him as well and go over the cap, by using maybe Felton as a TPE?

So basically it comes down to, most likely we lose everybody later or lose them now?

Last edited by knickscity : 03-16-2011 at 06:25 PM.
knickscity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2011, 06:30 PM   #3
Sky2k8336

Default Re: If Melo had waited until FA..

I also agree that Melo would not have given up the money for FA, it was just a what if..

Thanks for clarifying the financial part of the situation. I had no idea about any of that detail.

I'm happy with the trade. I wanted it to happen. I believe in the end we will build a solid team around our stars and get our shit together.
Old 03-16-2011, 06:41 PM   #4
NY-Knicks
FIRE PRINGLES

We wouldn't have the MLE though, and we couldn't re-sign Wilson.

So that would leave us with this (+ draft picks):

Raymond Felton / Toney Douglas
Landry Fields / Bill Walker / Roger Mason Jr.
Carmelo Anthony / Danilo Gallinari
Amar'e Stoudemire / Anthony Randolph
Timofey Mozgov / Ronny Turiaf

Right now at least we have a better PG and the MLE (if it still exists), and we don't need the depth at the 3 IMO.
NY-Knicks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2011, 08:06 AM   #5
It's A VC3!!!
I will believe

I don't think so, honestly the Knicks are terrible, like the Heat they brought in the wrong group of people, it's embarassing watching the opposing team score on every possesion, the knicks are terrible, no way in the next decade the Knicks can win built laregly on Carmelo and Amare. The Nets are doing it right, They bring in a top 2 pg, and a top 3 center, which are the best positions to fill in the NBA. The knicks just bring in two superstars hoping that will lead them to winning. 6th place, barely above 500 is sad, and I don't expect it to get better. Sorry just a lot of cross river hate.
It's A VC3!!! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2011, 08:38 AM   #6
knickscity
Knicks Board Moderator

This is the wrong way to come on the Knicks board, Nets fan.

It reeks of trolling, not a good look.

Quote:
Originally Posted by It's A VC3!!!
I don't think so, honestly the Knicks are terrible, like the Heat they brought in the wrong group of people, it's embarassing watching the opposing team score on every possesion, the knicks are terrible, no way in the next decade the Knicks can win built laregly on Carmelo and Amare.
Stars win championships, plain and simple.

Other than the Piston's a few years back, no team has won it all without superstars being on the team.

Sorry Dude the formula is correct.

Miami will get it together, so will we.

Keep in mind players will want to play with both squads.

Good luck with your recruiting.

Quote:
The Nets are doing it right, They bring in a top 2 pg, and a top 3 center, which are the best positions to fill in the NBA.

They are doing the same thing the Knicks have done.

They are trying to bring in star players.

And don't forget, if you guys don't load up your team, how do you even know Deron will stay?

You don't, you took a huge risk, hopefully he doesn't bail, otherwise you guys will continue to look like trash.

But don't act like you guys are in that good shape.

When your starting Center only gets 6 boards a game I seriously doubt that is top 3 worthy.

Dwight, Bogut, Bynum, Marc Gasol, Jordan, McGhee, Chandler, Horford, Gortat, Nene all say "HELLO".

And I will say this with conviction.....

NO team has won it all with their best player being the pg, since Isiah Thomas, over 20 years.

I seriously doubt the record gets broke anytime soon.

Quote:
The Knicks just bring in two superstars hoping that will lead them to winning. 6th place, barely above 500 is sad, and I don't expect it to get better. Sorry just a lot of cross river hate.

Keep in mind this is not the finished product by any stretch.

The team hasn't regressed at all.

We were six before the trade, and sixth now.

No way a Nets fan can claim that is sad.

It's sad when we help sell out your own building, that's sad.

Meanwhile the Nets will be turning off he lights in their arena in less than a month.

You guys feel free to borrow our dog shows, if you want something to watch in May.

For future reference, when you come in here, don't come as a troll.

We have posters from all teams coming and they are welcome, when they add to our great board.

THANK YOU VERY MUCH.
Old 03-18-2011, 08:54 AM   #7
Clutch
NBA Legend

knickscity
Clutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2011, 09:30 AM   #8
knickscity
Knicks Board Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clutch
knickscity
I'm in a Melo state of mind.......: "I do this!"

I don't think the poster had malice to it, but trolling is just not a good look.

And don't be a hypocrite, the Nets are trying to do what we just did.

They gave up a ransom, for a player they can't extend to next season.

That's guts, hopefully he don't bail on them.

On another note, I enjoy the hate, because now the team is relevant.

Every team gives us their full effort now.

It's just up to the Knicks to match that, forget the opponent, and play their game.
Old 03-18-2011, 11:11 AM   #9
It's A VC3!!!
I will believe

I need to take my "trolling talents" to the NBA Forum.

I hate the Knicks because I wish my Nets were like them.

Me: GTFO!!!!!!!

Last edited by knickscity : 03-18-2011 at 02:08 PM.
It's A VC3!!! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2011, 11:28 AM   #10
franchize
"The Residential Pit"

You can say what you want about the Nuggets but they are at their peak right now and still middle of the road in the West.I commend them for winning games w/o Melo but these are regular season games and the only Elite team they beat was Boston who was clearly out of sorts because Perkins got traded.How dare you ridicule us because we got the superstars who YOUR TEAM WANTED.Melo woulda been a Net way back in December if yall didnt suck so much.I admit the Knicks have a lot of improving to od but last time I check your Nets were the worst team in the league last year and stink this year as well.Your best player may ditch your team and play for us.Yall have no draft picks.You lost your lottery rookie and the guy you got back is an argument with the coahc away from being a Knick.Also,everyone with these BS rants about buyer's remorse are forgetting that half our roster is expirers and we will still have cap space to get more players.Essentially we are a shell of who we will be in a year or two. Chris Paul and DWill will be rumoroed to be coming here starting this summer.Who is going to NJ or Denver...NOBODY! Not only that,Denver may not even be able to re-sign JR Smith who is a free agent!Take that crap back across the river.NJ is NY's trash site...literally!
franchize is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2011, 11:32 AM   #11
Clutch
NBA Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by franchize
You can say what you want about the Nuggets but they are at their peak right now and still middle of the road in the West.I commend them for winning games w/o Melo but these are regular season games and the only Elite team they beat was Boston who was clearly out of sorts because Perkins got traded.How dare you ridicule us because we got the superstars who YOUR TEAM WANTED.Melo woulda been a Net way back in December if yall didnt suck so much.I admit the Knicks have a lot of improving to od but last time I check your Nets were the worst team in the league last year and stink this year as well.Your best player may ditch your team and play for us.Yall have no draft picks.You lost your lottery rookie and the guy you got back is an argument with the coahc away from being a Knick.Also,everyone with these BS rants about buyer's remorse are forgetting that half our roster is expirers and we will still have cap space to get more players.Essentially we are a shell of who we will be in a year or two. Chris Paul and DWill will be rumoroed to be coming here starting this summer.Who is going to NJ or Denver...NOBODY! Not only that,Denver may not even be able to re-sign JR Smith who is a free agent!Take that crap back across the river.NJ is NY's trash site...literally!

Harsh,but true
Good post
Clutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2011, 12:17 AM   #12
Sky2k8336

Good shit knickscity
Old 03-19-2011, 07:44 PM   #13
franchize
"The Residential Pit"

Yea Knickscity...you tore ole boy a new one lol
franchize is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2011, 10:04 PM   #14
knickscity
Knicks Board Moderator

I just can't stand trolls, plain and simple.

Which is why I cringe going into the NBA Forum.

It's littered with bullshit in there.
Old 03-20-2011, 09:29 PM   #15
lebob23
38563065 38563065 3

Yeah I get it now too, I just wanted to keep felton and mozgov because we might not get CP3 and Marc Gasol. I dont like billups because he slow but he has good ball IQ, Also I hate teams with no depth.

Obviuosly there is no way the nuggets can keep the team they have together under any cap, so they dont really gain much.

If we get Marc gasol and a quick point I will be happy. And that will be a legitimate team.
lebob23 is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: