Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > NBA Team Forums > Toronto Raptors Forum

Toronto Raptors Forum Toronto Raptors message board - Toronto Raptors forum

Old 03-23-2011, 07:13 PM   #31
lilbeastnani
InsideScoops

lilbeastnani has a bad reputationlilbeastnani has a bad reputationlilbeastnani has a bad reputationlilbeastnani has a bad reputation
Default Re: James Johnson vs. William Buford vs. Travis Leslie vs....

It seems for whatever reason that you guys seemed to think that I was saying anyone we draft who isn't James Johnson is supposed to be a multiple year superstar who bring us many rings. No, that's not the point. In fact all those other guys that FC posted with the exception of Wallace are just solid support players rather than main cogs. However, the point is that you build through the draft. That's how you rebuild, young players with potential, the more the better no matter what they turn into. Why? Because as i said there's not a ton of risk involved. A late first rounder doesn't command a high salary and worst case scenario they take up a roster spot for a couple of years and you let them go.
lilbeastnani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2011, 07:25 PM   #32
Chamberlain
Riggin' for Wiggins!

Chamberlain has a terrific reputationChamberlain has a terrific reputationChamberlain has a terrific reputationChamberlain has a terrific reputationChamberlain has a terrific reputation

And I was saying there likely won't be a huge difference between Johnson and whoever gets picked at #25.

Keep in mind I'm on record as being against the trade.

edit: to save myself from being over-analyzed.. I'm actually on record as being against the trade at first and now not caring either way because I don't think it will make much difference.
Chamberlain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2011, 07:38 PM   #33
lilbeastnani
InsideScoops

lilbeastnani has a bad reputationlilbeastnani has a bad reputationlilbeastnani has a bad reputationlilbeastnani has a bad reputation

JJ makes twice the salary of a 25 pick and doesn't seem to have a ton of potential.
lilbeastnani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2011, 07:48 PM   #34
Chamberlain
Riggin' for Wiggins!

Chamberlain has a terrific reputationChamberlain has a terrific reputationChamberlain has a terrific reputationChamberlain has a terrific reputationChamberlain has a terrific reputation

Should I say again that I'm on your side in not liking the trade? I'm just not as worried about it.
Chamberlain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2011, 07:52 PM   #35
kmart
No props needed

kmart has an OK reputation so far

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilbeastnani
JJ makes twice the salary of a 25 pick and doesn't seem to have a ton of potential.

Once again a 25 pick doesn't seem to have a ton of potential too. I'd say it was a minor, but even deal that Colangelo pulled off. Who knows maybe down the line he'll win the trade or maybe he'll lose it. Either way it wouldn't make such a huge difference to me if we had a 25 pick or a 24 year old player that has played less than 2 seasons. All those players that FC pulled off were decent role players excluding one, Gerald Wallace, other than him its a 50/50 shot at getting a role player. I don't see how James Johnson can't be a role player though IMO hes got some game.
kmart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2011, 08:21 PM   #36
bluerap
Local High School Star

bluerap has decent reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilbeastnani
It seems for whatever reason that you guys seemed to think that I was saying anyone we draft who isn't James Johnson is supposed to be a multiple year superstar who bring us many rings. No, that's not the point. In fact all those other guys that FC posted with the exception of Wallace are just solid support players rather than main cogs. However, the point is that you build through the draft. That's how you rebuild, young players with potential, the more the better no matter what they turn into. Why? Because as i said there's not a ton of risk involved. A late first rounder doesn't command a high salary and worst case scenario they take up a roster spot for a couple of years and you let them go.

I agree that we should look to rebuild through the draft.

That's why I think we should look to trade AB for a high pick.
bluerap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2011, 08:28 PM   #37
kmart
No props needed

kmart has an OK reputation so far

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluerap
I agree that we should look to rebuild through the draft.

That's why I think we should look to trade AB for a high pick.

I think everyone has a clear understanding each others opinion of Barganni, therefore I don't think it was necessary to bring up Barganni in this thread.
kmart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2011, 09:39 PM   #38
bokes15
Playoffs!

bokes15 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbokes15 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbokes15 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbokes15 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbokes15 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbokes15 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbokes15 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbokes15 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

I see James Johnson the same way I see a lot of guys on this team. He's gonna look pretty good by being given more minutes and more opportunity on a bad, developing team. I don't really care about the trade one way or another and I feel like there are bigger things to worry about.
bokes15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2011, 10:13 PM   #39
Toni
The Clumsy Waiter

Toni is considered somewhat coolToni is considered somewhat coolToni is considered somewhat cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by bokes15
I see James Johnson the same way I see a lot of guys on this team. He's gonna look pretty good by being given more minutes and more opportunity on a bad, developing team. I don't really care about the trade one way or another and I feel like there are bigger things to worry about.

We can probably flip him for something better once his stats become more inflated.
Toni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2011, 08:31 AM   #40
DJMason
High School JV MVP

DJMason is considered somewhat coolDJMason is considered somewhat cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by bokes15

Bingo, Bango, Bongo. /end thread. With 20 mill locked up in Calderon and Bargnani I'm not losing sleep over JJ making 2 mill when a rook with perhaps the same potential would make 1, and in all likelihood both will only be role players. It's like the rebublican party in the states trying to balance the budget by cutting heating oil for the poor while leaving the glut that is the defense budget untouched. It just doesn't make much sense.

I mean come on, this team has been dying for a late-first gem for years and I have yet to see our GMs produce one, so my money's on even if Chicago finds a gem we wouldn't have drafted the guy anyway given our scouting record.
DJMason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2011, 08:58 AM   #41
Jballer
Local High School Star

Jballer has decent reputationJballer has decent reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJMason
Bingo, Bango, Bongo. /end thread. With 20 mill locked up in Calderon and Bargnani I'm not losing sleep over JJ making 2 mill when a rook with perhaps the same potential would make 1, and in all likelihood both will only be role players.

+1

Although I like the trade cause "I think JJ" might/maybe/could be more in the right mix i.e. not just a role player but a "solid threat" as 4th option with "lock down d" capabilities on the other teams SG SM.

Could a 25th do it also? Sure maybe I dont know. See above in quote. However as stated above mutliple times - its all conjecture for another 2-3 years.
Jballer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2011, 09:03 AM   #42
FCardelle
High School JV MVP

FCardelle has an OK reputation so far

San Antonio is a perennial contender based on a franchise player AND great late 1st round:Tony Parker (28), Barbosa (28), Splitter(28), Salmons (26), Udrih (28) and 2nd round selections (Ginobili, Blair, Scola)

This is the way to go for the Raptors... including all those excellent International Players. In fact it seems that BC tried... but he isn't a talented GM... he is in the NBA just for nepotism, like somebody said, so he can't select the right players.
FCardelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2011, 09:18 AM   #43
DJMason
High School JV MVP

DJMason is considered somewhat coolDJMason is considered somewhat cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by FCardelle
San Antonio is a perennial contender based on a franchise player AND great late 1st round:Tony Parker (28), Barbosa (28), Splitter(28), Salmons (26), Udrih (28) and 2nd round selections (Ginobili, Blair, Scola)

This is the way to go for the Raptors... including all those excellent International Players. In fact it seems that BC tried... but he isn't a talented GM... he is in the NBA just for nepotism, like somebody said, so he can't select the right players.

Great for San Antonio, as I said earlier I have zero faith that our management can draft similar players that late. Our scouting has consistently been balls and if BC is retained why should I expect different next year?

Once again though, in their second year Parker and Ginobli weren't exactly monsters. I'm still ready to wait on Johnson like I was willing to wait on Bargs and like I'm willing to wait on DeRozan before I call him a scrub. He's a tallented kid in his second year, and a second year does not a career make.
DJMason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2011, 09:53 AM   #44
The_Night_Elf
My Game's Nucking Futs

The_Night_Elf is considered somewhat coolThe_Night_Elf is considered somewhat coolThe_Night_Elf is considered somewhat cool

I like Jhonson. He's still got some potential left in him IMO. Right now I feel he does fill a need for an athletic wing that can defend a bit.
The_Night_Elf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2011, 08:25 AM   #45
bluerap
Local High School Star

bluerap has decent reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by FCardelle

Great point. That is why we need to can BC and hire SAnt's head scout as our gm.
bluerap is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: