Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > College and High School Basketball Forum

College and High School Basketball Forum College basketball message board, high school basketball message board

Old 03-25-2011, 10:19 AM   #1
ILLsmak
Life goes on.

Default In Defense of Jimmer:

What's the opinion on Jimmer now?

It seems a lot of people are talking about how he is overrated, but it seems like they were just waiting for him to lose a game so they could say that.

They talk about his FG% or his turnovers, but if Jimmer has 6 turnovers, and the team has 12... that's good shit. Same with him having a low FG% and his team shooting well. obviously, his team didn't shoot well vs Florida... but the idea is let Jimmer shoot and make plays. Let him make mistakes... and let the other players build around him.

Dude is putting 40 on people in college, that's insane.

Last thing, Florida is a top 10 team... and they are playing even better than they were before. They went to OT when no other player scored 10 points and they were without their best big.

It just makes me wonder... are all of you killing Jimmer now, too?

-Smak
ILLsmak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2011, 01:25 PM   #2
Kombo
:)

Default Re: In Defense of Jimmer:

This tournament performance was nearly on par with Wally Szczerbiak's with Miami, except BYU was already hyped before the tournament. Because Jimmer had already been discovered, people were expecting so much.

If Josh Selby, Nolan Smith, Etwuan Moore, etc had this tournament, people would be talking about a lottery pick. Because Jimmer was defeated by a great team in OT (and he had a bad game really), people are talking about how garbage he is..

The guy can shoot, plane and simple. He's a less chiseled Ben Gordon, with better vision. The guy has a spot in the league. Shooters always have a spot.
Kombo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2011, 01:35 PM   #3
LilBTheBasedGod

Who else is going to score for BYU? If he doesn't take enough shots then he "lets his team down". Nothing to see here.
Old 03-25-2011, 02:22 PM   #4
ALBballer
Religion? LOL? WTF?

Jimmer is going to be a decent pro. I wouldn't draft him in the top 10 but after that I would take a chance on him. He's got a great jumpshot, good handles, drives to the hole and has decent court vision.
ALBballer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2011, 03:15 PM   #5
boozehound
An uglier Lamar Doom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kombo
This tournament performance was nearly on par with Wally Szczerbiak's with Miami, except BYU was already hyped before the tournament. Because Jimmer had already been discovered, people were expecting so much.

If Josh Selby, Nolan Smith, Etwuan Moore, etc had this tournament, people would be talking about a lottery pick. Because Jimmer was defeated by a great team in OT (and he had a bad game really), people are talking about how garbage he is..

The guy can shoot, plane and simple. He's a less chiseled Ben Gordon, with better vision. The guy has a spot in the league. Shooters always have a spot.
uhm, ammo?

I do agree he will be a fine bench contributor in this league (a whiter, better boobie gibson) but he wont be a star or even average starter level. Scorer off the bench.
boozehound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2011, 03:30 PM   #6
StateProperty
Sixers|Eagles|Phillies

I'm not going to say what I think he'll be professionally, but it's true people are always waiting for a guy to do poorly so they can feel better about themselves. If they don't think he'll do a good job in the NBA they're waiting for that 1 game out of 35 where they can finally go "See! I told you he wasn't any good! Nobody ever listens to me!"
StateProperty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2011, 04:52 PM   #7
ihatetimthomas
NBA Superstar

Quote:
Originally Posted by boozehound
uhm, ammo?

I do agree he will be a fine bench contributor in this league (a whiter, better boobie gibson) but he wont be a star or even average starter level. Scorer off the bench.

Generally, his statement is true. Shooters usually do find them selves on NBA rosters. I think he will find his way on a roster one day. I mean you have guys like Steve Novak making a roster with absolutely no skill other than shooting
ihatetimthomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2011, 05:03 PM   #8
ihatetimthomas
NBA Superstar

Jimmer was required to a lot on his team. He had teams covering his every movement on the perimeter. When you invest so much in one player, teams are going to make life tough for that one player. His decision making needs to improve as does his shot selection. I think he had pretty bad shot selection yesterday, but you can't hate on him for that because those are the types of shots he was making and thats what got BYU that far. He had an off night, Florida made him put the ball on the floor and get others involved. He may have had 6 TO's but you are going to get TO's when you have the ball in your had 95% of the time.

Last nights game didnt make me gain or lose any respect I had for him. I have thoroughly enjoyed watching him this year and in the tourny and I think he will make a good NBA player. He will just need to continue to improve his game. He is a fearless player and will be a nice asset to a team lacking in shooting. Defense will never be great, he will need to learn to play solid team D to help alleviate this.
Old 03-25-2011, 08:28 PM   #9
knickballer
Very good NBA starter

The only reason they were in the game was due to Jimmer. They took a very good Florida team into OT..

They didn't lose because of Jimmer they lost cause they got bullied in the paint and couldn't rebound for shit. They really could've used Davies yesterday.
knickballer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2011, 08:31 PM   #10
ihatetimthomas
NBA Superstar

Quote:
Originally Posted by knickballer
The only reason they were in the game was due to Jimmer. They took a very good Florida team into OT..

They didn't lose because of Jimmer they lost cause they got bullied in the paint and couldn't rebound for shit. They really could've used Davies yesterday.

Yea, the lack of size inside finally caught up to them. Alex Tyus was way too much for them to handle.
Old 03-25-2011, 10:26 PM   #11
Kujo
National High School Star

Jay Bilas on Jimmer:

"Jimmer a great college player, but he couldn't guard a bank with a machine gun. Guys going by him at will. He had a GREAT year, though."

Ouch.

I think he just ran out of gas in the game against Florida.

From the limited amount of games I've seen him play, I've been impressed with his offensive skills. He definitely has that Steve Nash like craftiness that makes up for his lack of athleticism.

If Matt Carroll can have an NBA career, so can Jimmer. He's a player that is most affective when he has the ball in his hands a lot, and that's not going to happen in the NBA. He's never going to be a good defensive player, and that's going to severely limit his playing time in the pro level. I think he'll be a mid to late first round pick. I wouldn't be shocked to see him slip to early second round.
Kujo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2011, 01:02 AM   #12
steve

The thread title is hilarious.
steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2011, 01:07 AM   #13
Professor Griff
I airball my layups

My main problem with Jimmer was that everyone I know was comparing him to Steph Curry in the '08 tournament. After that comparison, I was quick to point out Jimmer's flaws in comparison to Curry during this tournament.
Professor Griff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2011, 01:54 PM   #14
GOBB
Sixers|Eagles|Phillies

11-29 FG, 3-15 3pter...32pts 5ast but 6 turnovers and terrible defense to boot.

He had a bad game. All to it.
GOBB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2011, 04:13 PM   #15
leopoldstotch
Book 'em Dan'l

the guy is going to be a solid role starter or bench player. i say he's going to be another jj redick or kirk hinrich.
leopoldstotch is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: