Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > NBA Team Forums > New York Knicks Forum

New York Knicks Forum New York Knicks forum - NY Knicks message board

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 03-27-2011, 11:41 PM   #16
Scoooter
Very good NBA starter
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 8,341
Scoooter has an incredible reputation hereScoooter has an incredible reputation hereScoooter has an incredible reputation hereScoooter has an incredible reputation hereScoooter has an incredible reputation hereScoooter has an incredible reputation hereScoooter has an incredible reputation hereScoooter has an incredible reputation here
Default Re: Why does Shawne Williams guard opposing centers??

Quote:
Originally Posted by knickscity
I have to agree with that. Really none of our player have true defensive instincts.

I might add size has something to do with it, but there a few exceptions in the League.

Chuck Hayes immediately comes to mind, and he is 6-6 and plays Center.
Chuck Hayes is a beast, I agree. You don't have to be 7'0" tall to play center, you just have to be the Chuck Wagon.
Scoooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2011, 02:15 AM   #17
franchize
"The Residential Pit"
 
franchize's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 4,694
franchize is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterfranchize is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterfranchize is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterfranchize is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterfranchize is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterfranchize is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterfranchize is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterfranchize is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterfranchize is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster
Default Re: Why does Shawne Williams guard opposing centers??

DeJuan Blair is also almost 300 lbs and ha played center or pf all his life.As too with guys like Big Baby.Turiaf is far from a defensive stopper but he @ least looks the part.I've seen Turiaf get blocks and rebounds before.Shawne Williams shouldnt even be guarding PFs let alone Centers.N thats not a knock on Shawne Williams either.I really dont get your logic behind justifying such an ridiculous theory.Douglas and Fields are pretty good defenders so let's let them guard big men too while we're at it.They have positions for a reason you know.If Villanova comes up short every year in college basketball despite outstanding depth at the guard positions,it damn sure aint gonna happen in the NBA
franchize is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2011, 02:35 AM   #18
Scoooter
Very good NBA starter
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 8,341
Scoooter has an incredible reputation hereScoooter has an incredible reputation hereScoooter has an incredible reputation hereScoooter has an incredible reputation hereScoooter has an incredible reputation hereScoooter has an incredible reputation hereScoooter has an incredible reputation hereScoooter has an incredible reputation here
Default Re: Why does Shawne Williams guard opposing centers??

Quote:
Originally Posted by franchize
DeJuan Blair is also almost 300 lbs and ha played center or pf all his life.As too with guys like Big Baby.Turiaf is far from a defensive stopper but he @ least looks the part.I've seen Turiaf get blocks and rebounds before.Shawne Williams shouldnt even be guarding PFs let alone Centers.N thats not a knock on Shawne Williams either.I really dont get your logic behind justifying such an ridiculous theory.Douglas and Fields are pretty good defenders so let's let them guard big men too while we're at it.They have positions for a reason you know.If Villanova comes up short every year in college basketball despite outstanding depth at the guard positions,it damn sure aint gonna happen in the NBA
Look, I can't keep explaining why Shawne Williams was guarding Dwight without insulting you. I suspect you're being willfully ignorant just to **** with me, because no one has comprehension skills this poor.

Imagine this scenario. Your opponent has a 6'11" center who manhandles everyone he gets in front of him. You have a 7'5" man-***** who couldn't guard or box out a five year old, and a 6'3" fire hydrant that actually does the job as well as can be expected. Certainly better than the 7'5" guy. Do you play the taller guy just because he's a "true" center, or do you play the guy that can actually do the job (to any discernable degree)?

You play the guys that give you the best chance to win. Plain and simple. If you don't get that, then there's nothing else to say.

Scoooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2011, 06:38 AM   #19
earlofupstate
Good High School Starter
 
earlofupstate's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Another state
Posts: 773
earlofupstate is popular on this boardearlofupstate is popular on this boardearlofupstate is popular on this boardearlofupstate is popular on this boardearlofupstate is popular on this board
Default Re: Why does Shawne Williams guard opposing centers??

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scoooter
In the last game against Orlando, Turiaf rolled his ankle and disappeared into the locker room for the fourth quarter, which is when most of the Williams-Howard match up occurred. I like Ronny, but he gets hurt every three trips down the floor.

I have to admit I didn't watch the whole game. Turiaf got injured? Again?
That guy ALWAYS gets injured.
earlofupstate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2011, 07:07 AM   #20
knickscity
Knicks Board Moderator
 
knickscity's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Home of BullyBall!!!!
Posts: 9,234
knickscity is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableknickscity is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableknickscity is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableknickscity is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableknickscity is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableknickscity is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableknickscity is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableknickscity is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableknickscity is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableknickscity is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableknickscity is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable
Default Re: Why does Shawne Williams guard opposing centers??

Quote:
Originally Posted by earlofupstate
I have to admit I didn't watch the whole game. Turiaf got injured? Again?
That guy ALWAYS gets injured.
Yep, again. Ankle this time.
knickscity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2011, 07:20 AM   #21
knickscity
Knicks Board Moderator
 
knickscity's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Home of BullyBall!!!!
Posts: 9,234
knickscity is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableknickscity is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableknickscity is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableknickscity is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableknickscity is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableknickscity is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableknickscity is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableknickscity is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableknickscity is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableknickscity is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableknickscity is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable
Default Re: Why does Shawne Williams guard opposing centers??

Franchize, I hear your point, as much as I hear Scoooter, but when it come down to it......

Our roster doesn't have any legit Centers, we also know D'antoni most likely won't play one anyway.

Athletically, and as the Leader, Amar'e should be doing the job.

Sadly Shawne is our best mid post defender, and thats sad in itself.

Not because he's good at it, but he is willing.

As much as most folks don't care for him, Jeffries is or best defender overall.

Not because he's good at it, but because he is willing to make a defensive play.

I'd rather see a guy give effort and fail, than to just look at opponents drive in at will, and don't put a body on the big.

Watching Amar'e and I have completely soured on him, no way he should open his mouth about energy, when in the game if he isn't scoring he doesn't give a shit about anything else.

If it isn't a pick and roll, he is in "Paint Avoidance", "Contact Phobia".
knickscity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2011, 11:50 AM   #22
franchize
"The Residential Pit"
 
franchize's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 4,694
franchize is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterfranchize is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterfranchize is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterfranchize is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterfranchize is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterfranchize is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterfranchize is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterfranchize is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterfranchize is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster
Default Re: Why does Shawne Williams guard opposing centers??

I had a lengthy reply for you Scooter but it didn't post.Then I thought,whats the point.End of the day,you can call me "ignorant", you can use phrases like "get it through your skull" or "how can you be so dense" or talk about my "comprehension skills".We can go back and forth.You know,your jokes vs my common sense lol.However,there is no rebuttal for FACTS so here they are:

1.Since Mike D'Antoni has been a head coach,his teams have given up the
2nd most points per game in the NBA.I believe the 1st was Don Nelson.

2.The lowest ppg total his teams have ever posted in a year was 102. (Including his tenure with PHX)

3.He's yet to have a year under 105 ppg since he's been here.

4.Cleveland avg 114 ppg vs us.Minn 113.The Clippers 115
franchize is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2011, 01:07 PM   #23
Scoooter
Very good NBA starter
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 8,341
Scoooter has an incredible reputation hereScoooter has an incredible reputation hereScoooter has an incredible reputation hereScoooter has an incredible reputation hereScoooter has an incredible reputation hereScoooter has an incredible reputation hereScoooter has an incredible reputation hereScoooter has an incredible reputation here
Default Re: Why does Shawne Williams guard opposing centers??

And they're still headed to the playoffs for the first time in six seasons.
Scoooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2011, 01:19 PM   #24
Scoooter
Very good NBA starter
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 8,341
Scoooter has an incredible reputation hereScoooter has an incredible reputation hereScoooter has an incredible reputation hereScoooter has an incredible reputation hereScoooter has an incredible reputation hereScoooter has an incredible reputation hereScoooter has an incredible reputation hereScoooter has an incredible reputation here
Default Re: Why does Shawne Williams guard opposing centers??

Quote:
Originally Posted by knickscity
Franchize, I hear your point, as much as I hear Scoooter, but when it come down to it......

Our roster doesn't have any legit Centers, we also know D'antoni most likely won't play one anyway.
Don't buy it. He played Mozgov, both at the start of the season when he was unproven, and again later when he was actually ready. He played Earl Barron last year, and that guy can't even get on a roster.

Quote:
Athletically, and as the Leader, Amar'e should be doing the job.

Sadly Shawne is our best mid post defender, and thats sad in itself.

Not because he's good at it, but he is willing.
Ding ding ding. He's a pretty strong guy though. I haven't really seen him get bullied, per say.

Quote:
As much as most folks don't care for him, Jeffries is or best defender overall.

Not because he's good at it, but because he is willing to make a defensive play.
I don't know if I agree with this. The praise Jeffries gets for his D is based on his "versatility", which in this case is code for, "he can't guard guys his own size" - the thing they need him to do. He's our most defensive minded player, but that's only because he's doesn't actually know what offense is.

Our best defender, I think, is Toney Douglas. He's completely relentless, and he's changed the momentum of games with defensive players. After him it was all guys we traded away. And Ronny.

Quote:
I'd rather see a guy give effort and fail, than to just look at opponents drive in at will, and don't put a body on the big.

Watching Amar'e and I have completely soured on him, no way he should open his mouth about energy, when in the game if he isn't scoring he doesn't give a shit about anything else.

If it isn't a pick and roll, he is in "Paint Avoidance", "Contact Phobia".
We need a matador emoticon. Ole!
Scoooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2011, 03:08 PM   #25
NY-Knicks
FIRE PRINGLES
 
NY-Knicks's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Knicks nation
Posts: 5,853
NY-Knicks is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterNY-Knicks is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterNY-Knicks is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterNY-Knicks is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterNY-Knicks is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterNY-Knicks is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterNY-Knicks is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterNY-Knicks is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterNY-Knicks is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster
Default Re: Why does Shawne Williams guard opposing centers??

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scoooter
Ding ding ding. He's a pretty strong guy though. I haven't really seen him get bullied, per say.



So you didn't see those Magic games?

He can't hold is own against guys as strong as Dwight, just not strong enough and not good enough at the fundamentals and tricks to counter the strength.
NY-Knicks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2011, 04:50 PM   #26
Scoooter
Very good NBA starter
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 8,341
Scoooter has an incredible reputation hereScoooter has an incredible reputation hereScoooter has an incredible reputation hereScoooter has an incredible reputation hereScoooter has an incredible reputation hereScoooter has an incredible reputation hereScoooter has an incredible reputation hereScoooter has an incredible reputation here
Default Re: Why does Shawne Williams guard opposing centers??

Quote:
Originally Posted by NY-Knicks
So you didn't see those Magic games?

He can't hold is own against guys as strong as Dwight, just not strong enough and not good enough at the fundamentals and tricks to counter the strength.
I understand that. My point was about his toughness. He's not getting brushed aside quite as easily as, say...Jared Jeffries, basically.
Scoooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2011, 06:42 PM   #27
Clutch
Stop flopping
 
Clutch's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: MSG
Posts: 16,321
Clutch is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableClutch is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableClutch is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableClutch is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableClutch is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableClutch is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableClutch is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableClutch is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableClutch is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableClutch is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableClutch is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable
Default Re: Why does Shawne Williams guard opposing centers??

Shawne Williams starting tonight

If I had knew before I went to sleep I would never get up for this game.

I would sleep through this loss.
Clutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2011, 08:26 PM   #28
franchize
"The Residential Pit"
 
franchize's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 4,694
franchize is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterfranchize is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterfranchize is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterfranchize is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterfranchize is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterfranchize is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterfranchize is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterfranchize is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterfranchize is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster
Default Re: Why does Shawne Williams guard opposing centers??

We're the 7th seed in a conference where the bottom half is horrible.Im not sure that's an accomplishment.We aren't even above .500 You act like it's an accomplishment.I love how you disregarded everything.End of the day,I came with facts and you came with nothing.

Before you call someone ignorant,listen to your logic.It really makes no sense. Essentially you're saying because Mike D'Antoni played Mozgov for a few games (a foreign rookie with no experience) and Barron (for 7 games),it justifies him giving up on on the center position for his entire coaching career.That's your defense of your beloved coach?lol

Your other defense is that Williams is better than Jeffries so that's why he's guarding centers.D'Antoni was the one who insisted we bring Jeffries back.So essentially thats HIS problem!
franchize is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2011, 08:42 PM   #29
Scoooter
Very good NBA starter
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 8,341
Scoooter has an incredible reputation hereScoooter has an incredible reputation hereScoooter has an incredible reputation hereScoooter has an incredible reputation hereScoooter has an incredible reputation hereScoooter has an incredible reputation hereScoooter has an incredible reputation hereScoooter has an incredible reputation here
Default Re: Why does Shawne Williams guard opposing centers??

Quote:
Originally Posted by franchize
We're the 7th seed in a conference where the bottom half is horrible.Im not sure that's an accomplishment.We aren't even above .500 You act like it's an accomplishment.I love how you disregarded everything.End of the day,I came with facts and you came with nothing.
Well, we were the sixth seed and we were above .500 until the team got all chopped to hell, but I see your point. Nevertheless, fact: Knicks are in the playoffs for the first time in six years. You seem mad about that.

Quote:
Before you call someone ignorant,listen to your logic.It really makes no sense. Essentially you're saying because Mike D'Antoni played Mozgov for a few games (a foreign rookie with no experience) and Barron (for 7 games),it justifies him giving up on on the center position for his entire coaching career.That's your defense of your beloved coach?lol
When he has centers that can play - and contribute to wins - he plays them. Fact.

Quote:
Your other defense is that Williams is better than Jeffries so that's why he's guarding centers.D'Antoni was the one who insisted we bring Jeffries back.So essentially thats HIS problem!
But now that we're at that point, what would you like him to do? Compound the error by continuing to play an inferior defender, or actually try to win games?

BTW the way they were doing a great job on Howard tonight with Williams starting. No field goals in the first half, I believe.
Scoooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2011, 10:09 PM   #30
knickscity
Knicks Board Moderator
 
knickscity's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Home of BullyBall!!!!
Posts: 9,234
knickscity is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableknickscity is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableknickscity is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableknickscity is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableknickscity is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableknickscity is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableknickscity is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableknickscity is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableknickscity is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableknickscity is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableknickscity is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable
Default Re: Why does Shawne Williams guard opposing centers??

Both Williams' give a very good effort on defense.

They aren't great defenders, but the effort alone make up for the skill.
knickscity is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by:
Reply


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 08:49 PM.




NBA Basketball Forum Key Links:
InsideHoops Home
NBA Rumors
Basketball Blog
NBA Daily Recaps
NBA Videos
Fantasy Basketball
NBA Mock Draft
NBA Free Agents
All-Star Weekend
---
High School Basketball
Streetball
---
InsideHoops Twitter
Search Our Site













Powered by vBulletin Version 3.5.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd. Terms of Use/Service | Privacy Policy