Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > NBA Forum

NBA Forum NBA Message Board - NBA Fan Forum

Old 03-28-2011, 01:30 AM   #16
Christofire
Banned

Default Re: Top 10 Sgs of the 90s

Quote:
Originally Posted by rizzy
This was your attempt to bait Jordan fans?

Well unfortunately for you, obviously never watched Jordan play live because you would know he was guarded by the opposing teams best guard or SF on the team.

Gary Payton top defensive PG all time, guarded MJ his entire career. Not a SG

the list is long

well what do you know....another 6-4 180pounder trying 2 guard a 6ft6 212lb michael Jordan that was more athletic than he was
Christofire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2011, 01:35 AM   #17
UwishUhadWall
Kids at the park dunk on me

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christofire
i grew up a bulls fan sweet boy, my mother is a die hard chicago bulls fan she still has vhs tapes of jordan games. I knew who Jordan was defended by and i knew why he was defended by some of them. because the guards were TOO SMALL!!.....and he wasn't always defended by SFs of others teams. he was defended by the Teams best defender. some of those teams best defenders were PGs, some of them were SGs, some of them SFs......the Guards were too small and the SF were too slow and unathletic. the most athletic SF in the league was on his team and that is pippen. Jamaal Mashburn, detlef schrempf, Glenn Rice and chris Mullin were nowhere near the athletic stratusphere of michael Jordan. give me a break

Just curious, but why did you switch from a Bulls fan to a Celtics fan?
UwishUhadWall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2011, 01:36 AM   #18
Micku
NBA rookie of the year

Quote:
well what do you know....another 6-4 180pounder trying 2 guard a 6ft6 212lb michael Jordan that was more athletic than he was

Actually Gary Payton is one of the best perimeter defenders in NBA history. When Kobe was going off on his run with Shaq, the commentators question why doesn't the coach put Gary Payton on him. Gary Payton is also second in steals in NBA history if I can recall.

But seriously, Gary Payton is one, if not, the best perimeter defender.

I think only he and Jordan were the only ones who won the DPOY as perimeter players.
Micku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2011, 01:41 AM   #19
Micku
NBA rookie of the year

But yeah, the SG list of the 00s may be the best.

Look:
Kobe
Wade
T-Mac
Carter
Ray Allen

But the early 80s were also very good. But the 80s were stacked in terms of talent.
Old 03-28-2011, 01:43 AM   #20
Christofire
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by UwishUhadWall
Just curious, but why did you switch from a Bulls fan to a Celtics fan?

Growing up my mother was the main reason i was a chicago bull, my favorite player was scottie pippen, when the Bulls were dissolved i realized that i was more of a Bull player fan than i was an actual fan of the organization. Not being from Chicago i really didnt have any loyalty to the city. As i got older i became an antoine walker fan then a Pierce fan, and i've since then became tied to the organization. Now i'm a celtic fan for life regardless of who laces em up for the green team.
Old 03-28-2011, 01:44 AM   #21
Christofire
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Micku
Actually Gary Payton is one of the best perimeter defenders in NBA history. When Kobe was going off on his run with Shaq, the commentators question why doesn't the coach put Gary Payton on him. Gary Payton is also second in steals in NBA history if I can recall.

But seriously, Gary Payton is one, if not, the best perimeter defender.

I think only he and Jordan were the only ones who won the DPOY as perimeter players.

i know payton was great but still very undersized defending Jordan
Old 03-28-2011, 01:46 AM   #22
T-bomb 25
Local High School Star

Quote:
Those guys were great players. I dont know how Jordan was able to shut those guys down and dominate them the way he did
He didnt shut Richmond down he always said Mitch was impossible to guard and he was by far his toughest challenge....
T-bomb 25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2011, 01:49 AM   #23
Micku
NBA rookie of the year

Quote:
i know payton was great but still very undersized defending Jordan

He was also undersized against Kobe, but they wanted to put him when Kobe was going off. You shouldn't underestimate Payton. He is probably the best defender in the perimeter stance. You need to see him play more if you haven't already.

Besides, Payton guarded Jordan in the finals when Payton won DPOY. At his peak defensively.
Old 03-28-2011, 01:50 AM   #24
Christofire
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by T-bomb 25
He didnt shut Richmond down he always said Mitch was impossible to guard and he was by far his toughest challenge....

Mitch was a beast i know that. I loved the rock. But i think noone gave Jordan more Fits than Damon Stoudemire(raptors). He used to have micheal jordan dancing all over the court.
Old 03-28-2011, 01:51 AM   #25
T-bomb 25
Local High School Star

Quote:
But yeah, the SG list of the 00s may be the best.

Look:
Kobe
Wade
T-Mac
Carter
Ray Allen

But the early 80s were also very good. But the 80s were stacked in terms of talent.
Drextler and Richmond would score on all these guys at will even Kobe and Wade you can fit them 2 in any era...
Old 03-28-2011, 01:52 AM   #26
T-bomb 25
Local High School Star

Quote:
Mitch was a beast i know that. I loved the rock. But i think noone gave Jordan more Fits than Damon Stoudemire(raptors). He used to have micheal jordan dancing all over the court.
Old 03-28-2011, 01:53 AM   #27
Christofire
Banned

Quote:
He was also undersized against Kobe, but they wanted to put him when Kobe was going off. You shouldn't underestimate Payton. He is probably the best defender in the perimeter stance. You need to see him play more if you haven't already.

Besides, Payton guarded Jordan in the finals when Payton won DPOY. At his peak defensively.

I'm not questioning payton's defensive prowess mickou. In fact i think payton is the most underrated PG ever and that he is arguably the best PG that has ever played not named Magic Johnson. I'm just making a note of the fact that payton is another undersized guard on a long list of undersized guards that Jordan took advantage of but Payton not so much as the rest because his defensive skills were uncanny
Old 03-28-2011, 01:54 AM   #28
D.J.
College superstar

Richmond was better than Reggie. More complete player. He just had the unfortunate luck of playing on the Kings and Wizards when both were equally pathetic teams.
D.J. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2011, 01:59 AM   #29
Christofire
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by D.J.
Richmond was better than Reggie. More complete player. He just had the unfortunate luck of playing on the Kings and Wizards when both were equally pathetic teams.

yeah it's unfortunate
Old 03-28-2011, 02:05 AM   #30
D.J.
College superstar

In Mitch Richmond's first 10 seasons, his lowest PPG total was 21.9(where he only played 45 games). His lowest after that was a flat 22(his rookie season). And let's not forget his three All-NBA 2nd teams and two All-NBA 3rd teams.

Reggie's first 10 seasons, he only had six 20+ PPG seasons. He also never made the All-NBA 2nd team, though he does have three 3rd teams(1995, 1996, and 1998).
D.J. is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: