Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Off the Court Lounge

Off the Court Lounge Basketball fans talk about everything EXCEPT basketball here

Old 03-29-2011, 06:27 PM   #31
Timmy D for MVP
Chuck Hayes Stan

Timmy D for MVP is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableTimmy D for MVP is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableTimmy D for MVP is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableTimmy D for MVP is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableTimmy D for MVP is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableTimmy D for MVP is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableTimmy D for MVP is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableTimmy D for MVP is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableTimmy D for MVP is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableTimmy D for MVP is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableTimmy D for MVP is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable
Default Re: How can someone actually like/watch baseball?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlh1981
Major League Baseball is, by FAR, by favorite sport. If that makes me weird, then so be it. I grew up playing the game, and me and my grandpa used to watch the Reds games when I was a kid. It's part of my blood.

It seems that generally the attachment to the game is more ingrained in our culture than any other sport. I think because it's a part of our culture, baseball seems to be the sport that most of us have memories having involvement with.

Although I like basketball, football, golf, and soccer more, I have more of an attachment to the Oakland A's and Modesto Nuts (previously the Modesto A's) than any other team because I grew up going to games, going to that ballpark, sitting in the left field bleachers. Or spending summers going to Nuts games with my friends.

It's a little more accessible as a sport than those other ones.
Timmy D for MVP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2011, 06:47 PM   #32
RaininThrees
Meats Don't Clash

RaininThrees is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRaininThrees is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRaininThrees is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRaininThrees is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRaininThrees is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRaininThrees is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRaininThrees is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRaininThrees is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRaininThrees is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Love baseball.

Probably my favourite sport.

Find it completely entertaining, on TV, radio and in person.
RaininThrees is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2011, 07:14 PM   #33
Patrick Chewing
Cobra Kai Sensei

Patrick Chewing is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablePatrick Chewing is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablePatrick Chewing is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablePatrick Chewing is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablePatrick Chewing is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablePatrick Chewing is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablePatrick Chewing is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablePatrick Chewing is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablePatrick Chewing is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablePatrick Chewing is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablePatrick Chewing is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

I like baseball cause it's a numbers game to me. So many different stats and so many different match ups that it makes it fun to be a fan. Plus, if you truly know a lot about baseball, you'll know that each teams manager will from time to time try and outwit the other one from the dugout. It's like a chess match some times and it's great to see.
Patrick Chewing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2011, 07:33 PM   #34
DuMa
Canned

DuMa has a terrific reputationDuMa has a terrific reputationDuMa has a terrific reputationDuMa has a terrific reputationDuMa has a terrific reputation

its a nice game but dont ever try to put above football or basketball. its only a nice outdoors game in the spring and sometimes in the summer. i got a lot of gripes with baseball, especially the length of the season and how steroids have ruined the game basically. a sport basically where a game is played every day isnt a great idea. tradition is ruining the game itself. i also dont really understand how 2 different leagues, AL vs NL, have 2 different sets of rules. (DH vs no DH). and i dont really understand why you need to play an opponent 3-4 times every time in a series so many times. if Baseball could be reduced to a 90-100 game season, i could like it. until then, baseball is just something to watch or do in the summer when there is absolutely nothing else to do.

Last edited by DuMa : 03-29-2011 at 07:35 PM.
DuMa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2011, 07:38 PM   #35
johndeeregreen
Oh yeah, Mitch Kramer?

johndeeregreen is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterjohndeeregreen is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterjohndeeregreen is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterjohndeeregreen is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterjohndeeregreen is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterjohndeeregreen is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterjohndeeregreen is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterjohndeeregreen is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterjohndeeregreen is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterjohndeeregreen is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterjohndeeregreen is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by TylerOO
The sport sucks and is the most boring sport to watch. Please, if you like baseball, tell me what is so exciting about it? Does it make you that excited when someone hits a ball over a wall? Which only happens maybe 1-3 times a game.
Chances are very high that you simply don't possess enough understanding of the game to make it a stimulating/enjoyable experience.
johndeeregreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2011, 07:41 PM   #36
ThaSwagg3r

Baseball isn't that bad, but it isn't that great either. It's fun to watch in person, but it sucks to watch on the TV screen.

If ask me, Baseball isn't even a team sport.
Old 03-29-2011, 08:58 PM   #37
Big League
I hit open layups

Big League has an OK reputation so far

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slam91
It shouldn't be called football tho.
Soccer is the real football.
There is football and there is non-American football.
Big League is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2011, 09:01 PM   #38
Meticode
Cavaliers Fan 1997

Meticode is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMeticode is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMeticode is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMeticode is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMeticode is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMeticode is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMeticode is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMeticode is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMeticode is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMeticode is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMeticode is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

I love me some baseball.
Meticode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2011, 09:10 PM   #39
JustinJDW

JustinJDW is popular on this boardJustinJDW is popular on this boardJustinJDW is popular on this boardJustinJDW is popular on this boardJustinJDW is popular on this board

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timmy D for MVP
It's great background noise. I'll put an A's game on while I'm doing something else and such. Also great for listening to on the radio.

And going to the ballpark for a game is a lot of fun. One of my favorite spectator sports.
This. I thought I was the only one, but I also love to have baseball on as background noise while I'm doing something else. It almost like its perfect for it. I can't really sit down and watch a Dodgers game for nine straight freaking inings, but I do always just have it on and then once in a while, take a glance at the screen and see whats going on. I think I enjoy baseball the most that way.

And as everyone else have said, baseball is much better in person than just sitting down and watching the whole thing on T.V. I've only been to one baseball game, and it was way up in the crappy seats, but I still found it hella enjoyable. Baseball is much better watching as a spectator sport and watching a couple innings every once in a while, than being heavily dedicated to watching every game and series, and watching it like we do with basketball. Especially since they have a game like every day, haha.

The only thing thats really crazy to be about baseball is the absolute crazy 160 something game season, and then a Playoffs thats only like 2-3 weeks long. And then only like 8 teams out of the whole league get in the playoffs. 4 for each conference.
JustinJDW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2011, 09:33 PM   #40
Big League
I hit open layups

Big League has an OK reputation so far

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustinJDW
The only thing thats really crazy to be about baseball is the absolute crazy 160 something game season, and then a Playoffs thats only like 2-3 weeks long. And then only like 8 teams out of the whole league get in the playoffs. 4 for each conference.
I would like it if baseball went back to a 154-game schedule. I know that has been bandied around in recent years.

I enjoy the length of the MLB season. I like that I can watch my TV on team and/or listen to them on the radio 162 times over the course of 180-something days. If you have a favorite team and you enjoy the sport, all those games are not going to get tiresome for you.

I am also a football fan. When your football team loses a game, it's going to be another week before they can play again and try to rebound from the previous game. Then when your football team has a horrible 5-11 or 4-12 or worse season? Sheesh, that is brutal. See, in baseball your favorite team could suck but still win 70 games.
Big League is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2011, 10:06 PM   #41
rufuspaul
Kubla Kemba

rufuspaul is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablerufuspaul is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablerufuspaul is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablerufuspaul is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablerufuspaul is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablerufuspaul is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablerufuspaul is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablerufuspaul is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablerufuspaul is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablerufuspaul is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablerufuspaul is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

For me baseball means summer. Warm weather, a leisurely Saturday at the park with hot dogs, beer, cotton candy, ice cream. A truly American experience.

Even on TV it beats the shit out of that incredibly boring sport of soccer (futball to you euro freaks).
rufuspaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2011, 10:12 PM   #42
Mr. Grieves
He shoots, he bricks.

Mr. Grieves has decent reputationMr. Grieves has decent reputation

I enjoy playing baseball, but I'm also 100% with you on watching it OP, god damn it's awful.

I caught the little league world series one time on TV and it was 100x better than MLB. Just constant play. Still not the best but better than MLB.
Mr. Grieves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2011, 11:42 PM   #43
BankShot
5-time NBA All-Star

BankShot is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableBankShot is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableBankShot is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableBankShot is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableBankShot is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableBankShot is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableBankShot is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableBankShot is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableBankShot is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableBankShot is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableBankShot is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

I really enjoy going to games.... especially in the Twins' brand new stadium.

Baseball on TV is okay when its featuring your favorite team in either a marquee matchup, or towards the end of the season when the pennant race is full on.

Other than that.... yeah its pretty boring to watch.

Fun as shit to play though.
BankShot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2011, 12:21 AM   #44
Is He Ill
Cowboys & Spurs

Is He Ill is considered somewhat coolIs He Ill is considered somewhat coolIs He Ill is considered somewhat cool

I played it as a child, know all the good players, tried hard to like it, but I just can't do it. The games are so long, monotonous, and absolutely boring to watch on TV. It's better live, especially on a nice day, but I can't watch it on television.
Is He Ill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2011, 12:40 AM   #45
Fuschl am See
I brick open layups

Fuschl am See has not been impressing people

Baseball is a cool sport if you get into it. It isn't fast paced, but it is more about strategy, timing, using your team's skills etc.

I used to think it was boring and have little interest in it for years, but my attitude eventually changed over time and now I actually enjoy it quite a bit.
Fuschl am See is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: