Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > NBA Team Forums > Toronto Raptors Forum

Toronto Raptors Forum Toronto Raptors message board - Toronto Raptors forum

Old 03-31-2011, 08:20 PM   #16
Qwyjibo
Yankee.Hotel.Foxtrot

Qwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterQwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterQwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterQwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterQwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterQwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterQwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterQwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterQwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterQwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterQwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster
Default Re: Nene the raptors #1 FA target

If the Raptors get one of these big guys to pair with Davis going forward, I'm even ok with Calderon staying on if they can't find a taker for him. If another team wants him (or you draft Irving) obviously you take the chance to dump his contract but he's not the worst thing to have at PG.

Getting Deandre Jordan solidifies a good defensive and rebounding frontcourt for many years to come with him and Davis. You really need some good scoring talent in the backcourt though. So hopefully you can get someone like Irving or Barnes and they develop into an All-Star. I'm not too impressed with Derozan just yet.

Marc Gasol is a damn smart player on offense. He's like a more talented Rasho. He makes the right passes on offense, knows where to be and stick to what his strengths are. He's not a great defensive player but still an improvement to Bargnani and you hope that Davis will continue to develop. I'm a fan of his and think if you can find him more touches (wouldn't be hard on the Raptors), his value would definitely increase. Tough to do that in Memphis with Randolph and Gay.

The ideal somewhat realistic situation would be:

Best player: Irving or Barnes as a perennial All-Star
2nd best: Ed Davis, being a borderline All-Star
3rd best: Gasol or Nene or Jordan
4th best: Derozan (you hope he can improve and move up this list)
Qwyjibo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2011, 08:31 PM   #17
keantona
I hit open 5-footers

keantona has decent reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qwyjibo
I think the Raptors should be trying to "hit a home run" in the draft, not free agency. Oden is too big of a risk and Portland probably has a dollar figure that they'd match and keep him anyways. Oden when healthy was looking like he was well on his way to being one of the best defensive players in the league. You can't count on him being healthy though. These aren't even a series of little nagging injuries. These are serious knee issues to a 7 footer. I'd rather get Gasol or Jordan and take risks on talent in the draft.

I think the Raptors should be trying to hit home runs with young talent any way they can, as often as they can. Of course it will usually be the draft, but if there are other ways to get young players with superstar potential, they should be looked at. The Raptors are at the bottom, and without the advantages of a Miami, LA, NY or Boston, it's too hard for them to get to the top with a cautious, incremental build. They should be taking risks and taking risks and many will fail (leaving us back high in the lottery) but eventually one or two or three may succeed at once and that is our shot at a championship.
keantona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2011, 08:43 PM   #18
kmart
No props needed

kmart has an OK reputation so far

The only way I take Oden is if we have a damn good back up and if we can get him for cheap or very little. Otherwise I wouldn't touch him. He is way too injury prone. Skipping out on 2 of a possible 4 seasons because of injury isn't something we should want. Yeah he is a great talent but hes gets injured way too much for us to want him.
kmart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2011, 10:15 PM   #19
bokes15
Playoffs!

bokes15 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbokes15 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbokes15 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbokes15 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbokes15 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbokes15 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbokes15 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbokes15 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Yeah, I definitely don't want Greg Oden as my starting center going forward. Yao Ming i'd consider on a vet's min or anything like that but I wouldn't risk giving either of them anything in the 5-10 mill range. I'll pass.
bokes15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2011, 11:13 PM   #20
brwnman

brwnman has a terrific reputationbrwnman has a terrific reputationbrwnman has a terrific reputationbrwnman has a terrific reputationbrwnman has a terrific reputationbrwnman has a terrific reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilbeastnani
You guys would really prefer glass man Oden as our starting center to Bargnani? Irony, and you guys say that i'm the troll.

You cannot read...
brwnman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2011, 07:11 AM   #21
keantona
I hit open 5-footers

I know many don't agree, but I'd certainly rather have Oden as the starting centre than Bargnani. At least there's a chance he'd be a decent or good NBA centre. Obviously there's no chance Bargnani ever will be.
Old 04-01-2011, 07:38 AM   #22
bokes15
Playoffs!

bokes15 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbokes15 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbokes15 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbokes15 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbokes15 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbokes15 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbokes15 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbokes15 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by keantona
I know many don't agree, but I'd certainly rather have Oden as the starting centre than Bargnani. At least there's a chance he'd be a decent or good NBA centre. Obviously there's no chance Bargnani ever will be.
If healthy, I wouldn't mind. But that's a massive if considering the guy has played 82 games total in 4 seasons since being drafted.
Old 04-01-2011, 07:58 AM   #23
Doko
High School Starter

Doko has decent reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by keantona

That's why you're as biased as they come my boy
Doko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2011, 09:04 AM   #24
bokes15
Playoffs!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doko
That's why you're as biased as they come my boy
Old 04-01-2011, 01:27 PM   #25
Reef
College star

Reef is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterReef is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterReef is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterReef is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterReef is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterReef is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterReef is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterReef is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Oden with 2 broken legs would still play better D and get more rebounds than Bargs.
Reef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2011, 06:13 PM   #26
keantona
I hit open 5-footers

Also on Oden, if he looks like continuin to miss 3/4 of the games, I think it's quite likely he'd retire before too long. He's effectively missed 3 out of 4 seasons now, but would he really hang around if he'd missed 5 out of 6? I think there's a good likelihood we would have a retirement save us if we gave him a long contract and he continued to be injured.
Old 04-01-2011, 06:56 PM   #27
FCardelle
High School JV MVP

FCardelle has an OK reputation so far

That would be unlikely... but maybe he'd offered a buyout for the 90% of the salary in that long contract
FCardelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2011, 09:26 PM   #28
kmart
No props needed

Quote:
Originally Posted by FCardelle
That would be unlikely... but maybe he'd offered a buyout for the 90% of the salary in that long contract

What long contract?

He is still on his rookie contract set to expire this year, soon to be a RFA. I'd rather be in his situation than the one that we are in with our 20 win team, along with our 20 mill spent on 2 players team that are completely clueless when it comes to defense.
Old 04-02-2011, 12:17 AM   #29
Himan12
On the clouds

Himan12 has an OK reputation so far

Nene is too old and besides we should not be shelling out serious money on FAs who wont put us over the top this year or next year. There is no magic fix for this squad with the current philosophy of building around bargnani. None of the big men available this summer would help get us a championship PERIOD. As long as bargs is getting paid that money and getting starter minutes along with calderon's massive contract, add another ridiculous contract and we will be a treadmill team for the next 5 years.

For some who are still defending 'him' its time to put down whatever you're smoking and take a good hard look at bargs.

Has there ever been a player like him starting for a championship winning team in the history of the NBA?

Does it look like he will ever improve in his rebounding and defense?

If his shot isnt falling, can he contribute in other ways?

If you answered yes, I can't wait for the day when Bargs is traded and your little fanboy ass follows him off our board.
Himan12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2011, 01:41 AM   #30
kmart
No props needed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Himan12
Nene is too old and besides we should not be shelling out serious money on FAs who wont put us over the top this year or next year. There is no magic fix for this squad with the current philosophy of building around bargnani. None of the big men available this summer would help get us a championship PERIOD. As long as bargs is getting paid that money and getting starter minutes along with calderon's massive contract, add another ridiculous contract and we will be a treadmill team for the next 5 years.

For some who are still defending 'him' its time to put down whatever you're smoking and take a good hard look at bargs.

Has there ever been a player like him starting for a championship winning team in the history of the NBA?

Does it look like he will ever improve in his rebounding and defense?

If his shot isnt falling, can he contribute in other ways?

If you answered yes, I can't wait for the day when Bargs is traded and your little fanboy ass follows him off our board.

I believe that Bargs will be a great option off the bench for a team that needs scoring, where all he needs to do is come in and put up points in a hurry. I can see him as a perfect match for a team like Milwaukee. Sadly, he will never live up to the expectations that were forced upon him by the fans or the managing staff of the Raptors. Thats why I believe it is time for him to go.
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: