Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > NBA Forum

NBA Forum NBA Message Board - NBA Fan Forum

Old 03-31-2011, 12:32 AM   #1
HorryIsMyMVP
Good college starter

HorryIsMyMVP has a bad reputationHorryIsMyMVP has a bad reputationHorryIsMyMVP has a bad reputation
Default Why do the Sun's overrate Grant Hill SO much?

He gets the big defensive assignments like Kobe, Durant and other random superstars. They still score on him almost every time and Grant Hill being almost 40 gets fatigued. They need his offense and he should come off the bench. I understand they have to respect him for his leadership and prowess at his age. But come on. I don't even think he is the best defender on the team. They should start Pietrus. I honestly can't fathom how the Sun's organization thinks Grant Hill should be this all around lock down defender and offensive threat. They should use Pietrus for the big stars and be happy with Hill's 15-20 points. Idiots.
HorryIsMyMVP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2011, 12:35 AM   #2
HighFlyer23
National High School Star

HighFlyer23 is considered somewhat coolHighFlyer23 is considered somewhat coolHighFlyer23 is considered somewhat cool
Default Re: Why do the Sun's overrate Grant Hill SO much?

Because he went to Duke and was called an uncle tom
HighFlyer23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2011, 01:35 AM   #3
Harion
Banned

Harion posts stuff that is definitely making some people angryHarion posts stuff that is definitely making some people angryHarion posts stuff that is definitely making some people angry

because they are shopping him?
Harion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2011, 01:38 AM   #4
50inchvertical
College star

50inchvertical has an OK reputation so far

He is a great guy obviously, well liked, but i have to agree. You have to appreciate the fact he is the only 1 on the team (maybe Gortat and Dudley too) willing to even try and think about defense though. Hell, he even guarded Amare last matchup.
50inchvertical is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2011, 01:42 AM   #5
Assassin
Local High School Star

Assassin has an OK reputation so far

Isn't Pietrus injured at the moment?
Assassin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2011, 01:50 AM   #6
HorryIsMyMVP
Good college starter

HorryIsMyMVP has a bad reputationHorryIsMyMVP has a bad reputationHorryIsMyMVP has a bad reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Assassin
Isn't Pietrus injured at the moment?
I'm not sure. It wouldn't matter either way though. Grant Hill guards the other team's best player. Kobe, Durant, Amar'e. He got literally raped by Amar'e. I just can't imagine the situation where this seems like a good idea. Amar'e posterizes Hill and leaves his nuts in his face. Grant Hill has sad look on his face and looks over to Gentry...and Gentry says " Don't worry son you'll get him next time". And Hill is thinking mother ****ers I'm 38 and have to guard Amar'e FML.
Old 03-31-2011, 01:57 AM   #7
#1SportsFan86
Mavs All Day

#1SportsFan86 has decent reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by HorryIsMyMVP
He gets the big defensive assignments like Kobe, Durant and other random superstars. They still score on him almost every time and Grant Hill being almost 40 gets fatigued. They need his offense and he should come off the bench. I understand they have to respect him for his leadership and prowess at his age. But come on. I don't even think he is the best defender on the team. They should start Pietrus. I honestly can't fathom how the Sun's organization thinks Grant Hill should be this all around lock down defender and offensive threat. They should use Pietrus for the big stars and be happy with Hill's 15-20 points. Idiots.

He fell off hard...teams dare him to put the ball on the floor and he get's exposed real quick.
#1SportsFan86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2011, 02:03 AM   #8
HorryIsMyMVP
Good college starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by #1SportsFan86
He fell off hard...teams dare him to put the ball on the floor and he get's exposed real quick.
He fell off of what exactly? He isn't old. He is only 27 years old. He hasn't been making 3's lately but I can understand why the Sun's coaching staff would take issue with that. If he can't make a 3 he is worthless to us. He is our best defender and can score in the paint when he plays with Nash but who cares? We got Grant ****ing Hill to shut down the whole NBA.
Old 03-31-2011, 02:06 AM   #9
YouCallILose
Banned

YouCallILose has an EXTREMELY bad reputation around these partsYouCallILose has an EXTREMELY bad reputation around these partsYouCallILose has an EXTREMELY bad reputation around these partsYouCallILose has an EXTREMELY bad reputation around these partsYouCallILose has an EXTREMELY bad reputation around these partsYouCallILose has an EXTREMELY bad reputation around these parts

he actually is a decent defender. doesn't do much else.
YouCallILose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2011, 02:13 AM   #10
HorryIsMyMVP
Good college starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by YouCallILose
he actually is a decent defender. doesn't do much else.
All of Grant Hill's high scoring games are against team's without a decent player for him to defend. He just gets worn down fast and the guy he is defending scores anyway. I'm not seeing the point. The Sun's need more scoring threats and they have defenders they could subtract Hill's duties for. His defense doesn't have an impact on the game and in return his offense turns into stuff like 1-7 from the field. He is too old to play both ends of the floor. I would just let him play offense off the bench. The Sun's are in serious need of a consistent bench and he could fill that role. Replace Hill in the starting line up with Pietrus or Dudley. They couldn't do MUCH worse. Unless Kobe and Durant somehow start shooting 70%.
Old 03-31-2011, 02:14 AM   #11
Scientist
Banned

Scientist has an OK reputation so far

bc he's greg odens son?
Scientist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2011, 04:25 AM   #12
JMT
NBA lottery pick

JMT has an incredible reputation hereJMT has an incredible reputation hereJMT has an incredible reputation hereJMT has an incredible reputation hereJMT has an incredible reputation hereJMT has an incredible reputation hereJMT has an incredible reputation here

The Suns are 3rd or 4th in the league in scoring, and among the cellar dwellers on defense.

Pietrus may be a better defender, but Hill is the only secondary ball handler the team has on the floor most times. Aside from Nash, he's also the only one with the abilty to get his own shot (though not like he used to).

They lose a tremendous amount of cohesiveness when he's not on the floor.

Should he be starting in the league? probably not, but that's a reflection on the horrible job their front office has gone. Tthe Suns have many, many problems. Benching Hill solves none of them.
JMT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2011, 04:41 AM   #13
wagexslave
Messiahbolical

wagexslave is a pretty well-respected posterwagexslave is a pretty well-respected posterwagexslave is a pretty well-respected posterwagexslave is a pretty well-respected poster

You're underrating his defense IMO. It seems like you're saying that since people still score on him, he's not a good defender... even though like you just said he guards THE BEST PLAYER ON THE OTHER TEAM.

Let that sink in for a few seconds. He guards the best player on the other team, OF COURSE they're still going to score more than not. That's why they're THE BEST PLAYER on that team. Because they score no matter who's defending them.

Grant Hill just makes it hard for them. Never gives up on plays, always hustling back on defense, always in the opposing teams face, gets a lot of blocks and steals when the team needs it most... THAT'S why he's a great defender. I wouldn't be surprised if all of the players he defended this year had lower FG% on average than their normal FG% when he was guarding them.

He's also very clutch on defense... the Suns usually manage to get stops during close games late in the 4th quarter and have came back to tie the game and send it to overtime a lot this year(look at the 3OT game vs L.A. for example)... and a big part of that is Grant Hill making the star player of the other team uncomfortable and often causing them to brick potential game winners.

Just because amazing players score when you're defending them doesn't make you a bad on defense, it makes them amazing on offense. And besides, it's the FG% that matters most. Anyone can score on any defender if they chuck up enough shots...
wagexslave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2011, 06:19 AM   #14
HorryIsMyMVP
Good college starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by wagexslave
You're underrating his defense IMO. It seems like you're saying that since people still score on him, he's not a good defender... even though like you just said he guards THE BEST PLAYER ON THE OTHER TEAM.

Let that sink in for a few seconds. He guards the best player on the other team, OF COURSE they're still going to score more than not. That's why they're THE BEST PLAYER on that team. Because they score no matter who's defending them.

Grant Hill just makes it hard for them. Never gives up on plays, always hustling back on defense, always in the opposing teams face, gets a lot of blocks and steals when the team needs it most... THAT'S why he's a great defender. I wouldn't be surprised if all of the players he defended this year had lower FG% on average than their normal FG% when he was guarding them.

He's also very clutch on defense... the Suns usually manage to get stops during close games late in the 4th quarter and have came back to tie the game and send it to overtime a lot this year(look at the 3OT game vs L.A. for example)... and a big part of that is Grant Hill making the star player of the other team uncomfortable and often causing them to brick potential game winners.

Just because amazing players score when you're defending them doesn't make you a bad on defense, it makes them amazing on offense. And besides, it's the FG% that matters most. Anyone can score on any defender if they chuck up enough shots...
FG% is what matters most and if I remember right Kobe had maybe slightly above his season average. Durant had a very Duranty game . And Amar'e cleaned house. I'm just saying the overrating comes in when they actually think Hill can guard Amar'e.

I agree that the Sun's need defense and they have a lot of problems. I just think they need to be more balanced overall and they all have a man crush on Grant Hill. I'd say they should start Nash, Dudley, Pietrus, Frye and Gortat with the bench being Brooks, Carter, Hill, Warrick and Lopez. To me that just makes sense.

The starting line up has much needed size and Steve Nash. The bench now has a "clutch" defender and an underrated ball handler in Grant Hill. A leader amongst the scrubs. Dudley hustles and Pietrus is a better defender then Hill. They will be making players work just as much as Hill can.

What you don't take into consideration is that while Hill makes them work, it takes even more of a toll on him. The superstars can handle it. They are young studs. He is the old work horse and he is about to die. Conserve his ability to make his own shot/ ballhandling and hey you can even put him in for "clutch" defense situations. He plays more then any Sun on both sides of the court. It needs to stop.

Last edited by HorryIsMyMVP : 03-31-2011 at 06:23 AM.
Old 03-31-2011, 06:19 AM   #15
nashisbest

cos he's so old and is assigned the toughest defensive job. gotta respect that right? and mostly his attitude. gotta love the guy's attitude
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: