Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Off the Court Lounge

Off the Court Lounge Basketball fans talk about everything EXCEPT basketball here

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 08-19-2012, 09:31 PM   #1546
blacknapalm
spider 2 y banana
 
blacknapalm's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 5,704
Default Re: MMA Discussion/News thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by gigantes
i think she's saying that the 145lb division in SF is dead, so that her only choice is to jump to invicta or something.

but technically, she's correct. SF has not run a single 145lb fight since cyborg's suspension IIRC. so it's true that there is literally nobody competing with her anymore. so cyborg can technically come back to 145 anytime she wants to and recollect her belt whenever she wants to, with nobody of any importance available to slow her down.

anyway, who is sara mcmann?

ya, i think cyborg will be heading elsewhere which is a shame since she's the only current threat to ronda imo. she's had trouble making weight at 145 so i don't see how she make 135. ronda knows it, too.

mcmann, like ronda, is an olympic medalist. silver medal at the '04 athens olympic games. she fights for invicta and is 6-0. obviously, she's not nearly as dominant as ronda (three decisions) but since she can grapple at a high level, i feel she's the only fighter outside of cyborg that could pose a real threat to rousey. i'm not saying ronda won't take it to the ground and do her thing eventually but mcmann is strong and might keep it standing for a whole round.
blacknapalm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 03:12 AM   #1547
ErhnamDjinn
“Homo homini lupus est
 
ErhnamDjinn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Lurking in Dominaria
Posts: 2,713
Default Re: MMA Discussion/News thread

E
Quote:
Originally Posted by $LakerGold
paul harris

palhares bro.
thts the joke name they use on sherdog like michael cro cop etc
ErhnamDjinn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 03:22 AM   #1548
$LakerGold
#TeamRousey #TeamStark
 
$LakerGold's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: ☆Home of the 16☆
Posts: 7,465
Default Re: MMA Discussion/News thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by ErhnamDjinn
E
thts the joke name they use on sherdog like michael cro cop etc

oh what the hell lol
$LakerGold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 04:19 PM   #1549
$LakerGold
#TeamRousey #TeamStark
 
$LakerGold's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: ☆Home of the 16☆
Posts: 7,465
Default Re: MMA Discussion/News thread

Gracie Breakdown is out for the Ronda fight.
$LakerGold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 04:40 AM   #1550
blacknapalm
spider 2 y banana
 
blacknapalm's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 5,704
Default Re: MMA Discussion/News thread

frankie edgar is moving down to featherweight.

makes sense and i think he takes out anybody not named aldo. aldo is just a different beast, dude kicks so hard and accurately for a guy his size
blacknapalm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 01:23 PM   #1551
B-Low
The Love B-Low
 
B-Low's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Crowned Prince of the OTC
Posts: 15,345
Default Re: MMA Discussion/News thread

Edgar - Win lose or draw, notorious for coming out of fights looking like he just got hit by a bus

Aldo - Notorious for making guys look like they just got hit by a bus

Whether he wins or not, Edgar is NOT gonna look good after that fight whenever it happens
B-Low is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 05:41 PM   #1552
gigantes
Tor Johnson.
 
gigantes's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 12,845
Default Re: MMA Discussion/News thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by blacknapalm
mcmann, like ronda, is an olympic medalist. silver medal at the '04 athens olympic games. she fights for invicta and is 6-0. obviously, she's not nearly as dominant as ronda (three decisions) but since she can grapple at a high level, i feel she's the only fighter outside of cyborg that could pose a real threat to rousey. i'm not saying ronda won't take it to the ground and do her thing eventually but mcmann is strong and might keep it standing for a whole round.
thanks. that was a good little primer for me.

funny, even before hearing about mcmann i was suspecting that it was going to take someone equally skilled in judo to equalise rousey's big advantage and shed light on other areas of her game, like her striking.
gigantes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 05:45 PM   #1553
jaydacris
Banned
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 20,055
Default Re: MMA Discussion/News thread

cody mckenzie called out frankie edgar
jaydacris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 09:52 PM   #1554
$LakerGold
#TeamRousey #TeamStark
 
$LakerGold's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: ☆Home of the 16☆
Posts: 7,465
Default Re: MMA Discussion/News thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaydacris
cody mckenzie called out frankie edgar
Cody's aiming for wrestlers lol
$LakerGold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 10:14 PM   #1555
blacknapalm
spider 2 y banana
 
blacknapalm's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 5,704
Default Re: MMA Discussion/News thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by gigantes
thanks. that was a good little primer for me.

funny, even before hearing about mcmann i was suspecting that it was going to take someone equally skilled in judo to equalise rousey's big advantage and shed light on other areas of her game, like her striking.

ya, i totally goofed and didn't mention that mcmann is a wrestler though.

if you could combine cyborg's striking with mcmann's wrestling, we could definitely see a 'rousey stopper'.

anyway, i'm still amazed at rousey's arm bars and how she sets it up with those deep hook transitions. everything is so quick and fluid. scary thing...her mom drilled her from an early age on them. in judo, you only have a limited amount of time on the ground so you have to attack for submissions quickly. simply put, all that repetition and going after arm bars constantly is why ronda is so damn good at it. it just seems she can easily and quickly see things. i don't even think her opponents even know what is going on at times, lol

ronda even gives up position sometimes. when she could have someone's back, she grabs their leg instead and rolls them and immediately looks for the arm bar. shit is just plain crazy....she submitted kaufman from her guard and she can lock it down from her back, her belly and sitting down.

the other thing is she swarmed kaufman and that's how she usually comes out fighting. she closes the distance. if her striking improves, this girl can seriously go on a fedor-like run. interestingly enough, sambo has many similarities to judo.

i wonder what happens when hollywood starts calling. ronda can truly go on a dominant run but it wouldn't be shocking if she bailed in a year or two to make movies, a la gina carano. get paid millions to fake fight? it's a lot easier for girls to make that transition too...the market isn't saturated, males will buy tickets and she already has a growing fanbase that i'm sure would check out her movies if she went that route.

Last edited by blacknapalm : 08-22-2012 at 10:20 PM.
blacknapalm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 11:04 PM   #1556
gigantes
Tor Johnson.
 
gigantes's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 12,845
Default Re: MMA Discussion/News thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by B-Low
Edgar - Win lose or draw, notorious for coming out of fights looking like he just got hit by a bus

Aldo - Notorious for making guys look like they just got hit by a bus

Whether he wins or not, Edgar is NOT gonna look good after that fight whenever it happens
Edgar is also a guy who was working to pack on every possible bit of muscle to get as close to 155 as possible while his opponents were doing everything possible to cut water and get down to 155. Then rehydrating 10+ lbs and having a decisive height/weight advantage come fight time.

Dunno how you guys feel about that, but it's borderline insane to me. Both how much advantage every opponent had over Edgar as well as his incredibly stubborn nature sbout all this. Not to mention, the little dude arguably, both by fight fans and fight critics, WON the two bendo fights.

Not saying the outcome is predetermined, but when is the last time that Aldo took on a routine giant-killer like Edgar?? The little dude is an astonishing MMA badass by any measure. Anyway, just my $.02 as I sit here at the sushi bar and attempt to pontificate.
gigantes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 11:40 PM   #1557
gigantes
Tor Johnson.
 
gigantes's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 12,845
Default Re: MMA Discussion/News thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by blacknapalm
anyway, i'm still amazed at rousey's arm bars and how she sets it up with those deep hook transitions. everything is so quick and fluid. scary thing...her mom drilled her from an early age on them. in judo, you only have a limited amount of time on the ground so you have to attack for submissions quickly. simply put, all that repetition and going after arm bars constantly is why ronda is so damn good at it. it just seems she can easily and quickly see things. i don't even think her opponents even know what is going on at times, lol

ronda even gives up position sometimes. when she could have someone's back, she grabs their leg instead and rolls them and immediately looks for the arm bar. shit is just plain crazy....she submitted kaufman from her guard and she can lock it down from her back, her belly and sitting down.

the other thing is she swarmed kaufman and that's how she usually comes out fighting. she closes the distance. if her striking improves, this girl can seriously go on a fedor-like run. interestingly enough, sambo has many similarities to judo.

i wonder what happens when hollywood starts calling. ronda can truly go on a dominant run but it wouldn't be shocking if she bailed in a year or two to make movies, a la gina carano. get paid millions to fake fight? it's a lot easier for girls to make that transition too...the market isn't saturated, males will buy tickets and she already has a growing fanbase that i'm sure would check out her movies if she went that route.
back home finishing my sushi leftovers, even as i discard the rice (y'all know about empty carbs, right?), and we seem to be sort of on the same page again.

the one thing that -does- occur to me is that perhaps judo doesn't have quite as decisive an effect for larger bodies as it does smaller bodies. i mean, there is probably a physical-common sense reason why a superb judoka didn't wreck the higher weight divisions of the major fight orgs in the past the way that rousey is doing in SF here and now, no?

which also -possibly- suggests that the explosive power of male muscle mass has some kind of biochemical advantage over the same weight on the female end. i.e., the very reason why ideas such as the male 115 lb champion taking on rousey is becoming more than just crazy speculation at this point. dunno about you, but in the absence of cyborg, i would be totally fascinated to see how such a fight would go. riggs - king again if you're in to tennis, know what i mean?

but anyway, fedor, who you mentioned, was such an astonishing strike-defender and strike administrator that sambo / judo / whatever could consistently become a second-rate method of winning fights until the dude started to seriously slack off in 2009 or so... presumably due to age or laziness or whatever. but seriously, i don't quite understand how that happens for someone so skilled such that the ONE decisive loss the dude ever suffered was at the hands of someone (bigfoot) who two fedor-like wrestler-brothers absolutely destroyed.

possibly it's a serious flaw in sambo's wrestling technique, possibly what you were getting in to about sambo, earlier... i don't know.

but pardon me... i have a habit of rambling in this thread after i do my wednesday table tennis workout and visit the sushi bar. peace. :P

Last edited by gigantes : 08-23-2012 at 12:41 AM.
gigantes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2012, 12:34 AM   #1558
blacknapalm
spider 2 y banana
 
blacknapalm's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 5,704
Default Re: MMA Discussion/News thread

Quote:
Hearing that we may have some disappointed @UFC fans soon due to some unfortunate circumstances for an upcoming card.

- kenny florian

uh oh....shit, it better not be hendo. that card was already weak outside the jones fight. if it's gsp, he has the worst luck in the world.

EDIT: no idea what's going on. twitter is all over the place but luke thomas (reliable source) says it's so much worse than what is being tweeted. hmm...legal trouble? family emergency?

Quote:
Luke Thomas @SBNLukeThomas

@Jdiddy381 @KCBanditMMA @jamiekilstein again, I'm not talking about Hendo's health when I say the matter is 'worse'. Relax, people.

honestly the fact that no ufc brass has denied it makes me think this has legs. if it were not true, dana could simply tweet something like, 'i have no idea where the rumor came from, it isn't true and everything is ready to go'. thomas also says it doesn't have to do with TRT or a failed drug test.

ok wtf....hendo just tweeted he had a great training session, lol. so confused right now and i'm headed out. keep me updated, fellas.

if this is some small time fighter, i hate kenflo even more. i never liked him but if he tweeted that and caused all this speculation for a minor fight, he's on my shit list....

Last edited by blacknapalm : 08-23-2012 at 01:15 AM.
blacknapalm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2012, 01:11 AM   #1559
jaydacris
Banned
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 20,055
Default Re: MMA Discussion/News thread

hmm yeah i wonder whats up!
dan henderson just tweeted couple minutes ago that he had a great training session

damnit, ahh!! whats going on!
jaydacris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2012, 02:51 AM   #1560
Jackass18
The Iron Price
 
Jackass18's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Carcosa
Posts: 12,736
Default Re: MMA Discussion/News thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by gigantes
Not to mention, the little dude arguably, both by fight fans and fight critics, WON the two bendo fights.

What? Most people gave the first fight to Bendo by a comfortable margin. I didn't see the second fight, but I don't know how in the hell you give the first fight to Edgar. I looked at fightmetric for their 2nd fight, and it has it as a tie. From what I've seen, most had the 2nd fight as a draw or for Edgar.

Quote:
the one thing that -does- occur to me is that perhaps judo doesn't have quite as decisive an effect for larger bodies as it does smaller bodies. i mean, there is probably a physical-common sense reason why a superb judoka didn't wreck the higher weight divisions of the major fight orgs in the past the way that rousey is doing in SF here and now, no?

Women's MMA doesn't have much competition.

Quote:
but seriously, i don't quite understand how that happens for someone so skilled such that the ONE decisive loss the dude ever suffered was at the hands of someone (bigfoot) who two fedor-like wrestler-brothers absolutely destroyed.

Decisive? Fedor was still able to go after the round. The fight was stopped for far less than what occurred in the GSP/Kos fight (I think that fight was the reason why the Fedor/Bigfoot fight was stopped).
Jackass18 is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by:
Reply


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 07:29 AM.




NBA Basketball Forum Key Links:
InsideHoops Home
NBA Rumors
Basketball Blog
NBA Daily Recaps
NBA Videos
Fantasy Basketball
NBA Mock Draft
NBA Free Agents
All-Star Weekend
---
High School Basketball
Streetball
---
InsideHoops Twitter
Search Our Site















Powered by vBulletin Version 3.5.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2016, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd. Terms of Use/Service | Privacy Policy