Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Off the Court Lounge

Off the Court Lounge Basketball fans talk about everything EXCEPT basketball here

Old 08-23-2012, 05:50 PM   #1576
jaydacris
Banned

Default Re: MMA Discussion/News thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by $LakerGold
But you said it yourself, Sonnen accepted the fight. Meaning the offer was accepted by the UFC and Chael.

It still wouldn't make any sense if it'll happen.

Bottom line - Chael is coming off from a loss.

trust me i dont think chael deserves a shot either.
but if UFC had the choice of cancelling an event or giving an undeserving fighter a title shot and keep the event alive. i think they would choose keeping the event alive.

if anderson silva was fighting someone in a main event and that fighter got injured, and it was 8 days away from the event. if nick diaz was not suspended and called dana white and asked to fight silva and everyone else declined.
trust me dana white would say yes if it meant saving the event and saving millions of dollars.

but it comes down to ufc putting all their eggs in one basket, and making a card that is composed of Main event + fillers. well i guess theres some other okay fights, but i think every card should ideally have a co main event that people can get hyped for (aka not ellenberger-hieron. or ellenberger-koscheck originally).
jaydacris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2012, 07:12 PM   #1577
blacknapalm
spider 2 y banana

pros react (and it isn't pretty): http://www.mmafighting.com/2012/8/23...-151-cancelled

also a decent article here: http://www.mmafighting.com/2012/8/23...ce-guy-for-jon

did jones have the mma equivalent of lebron's decision?

main thing is jones said machida was high risk, low reward...then days later accepts a fight with him after refusing a fight with sonnen (who would be low risk, high reward). that sonnen fight might present itself later but still...sonnen on short notice without a training camp and moving up? who even think he makes it beyond 1-2 rounds? and as far as PPV draws, sonnen trumps machida easily, even with 8 days to hype.

Last edited by blacknapalm : 08-23-2012 at 07:40 PM.
blacknapalm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2012, 07:15 PM   #1578
sunsfan1357
Word.

Quote:
Jeff Hougland

@JeffHougland
@JonnyBones Can I at least get one of your new Nike T-shirts? I'll give it to my kid since I won't have any money for her school clothes.

Damn!
sunsfan1357 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2012, 07:27 PM   #1579
Lebron23
3rd Greatest Player

Lose-lose stuation for Jon "Bon" Jones. Sonnen is coming of a loss, and he doesn't deserve a title shot againts Jones. I still hope that Jones' camp will accept the challenge. I want to see someone end the MMA Career of Sonnen.
Lebron23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2012, 07:35 PM   #1580
monkeypox
Decent college freshman

Too late for that, he was given till this morning some time and he turned the fight down. Seems like it would be easy for him. They have him a soft ball fight to save the card and it was still too dangerous for him. Typical of Jacksons risk adverse mentality. Sucks since his first title shot came as a replacement against Shogun when everyone was crying that he didn't deserve it.
monkeypox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2012, 07:50 PM   #1581
Lebron23
3rd Greatest Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by raiderfan19
He's the champ. He has nothing to gain by taking a fight on this short notice. And if sonnen ever does deserve a title shot it would be stupid to waste it now, without the proper build.

I completely agree.
Lebron23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2012, 08:05 PM   #1582
raiderfan19
Shazam!

The people talking about what a draw sonnen is as a reason bones should have taken the fight are completely missing the point. The fact that bones vs sonnen could conceivably be a huge draw is why you don't hotshot it on such short notice to cover up for Dana whites stupidity.

Dana has done a great job getting UFC to the point it's at now but honestly they need to start seriously looking towards replacing him.
raiderfan19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2012, 08:20 PM   #1583
blacknapalm
spider 2 y banana

Quote:
Originally Posted by raiderfan19
The people talking about what a draw sonnen is as a reason bones should have taken the fight are completely missing the point. The fact that bones vs sonnen could conceivably be a huge draw is why you don't hotshot it on such short notice to cover up for Dana whites stupidity.

Dana has done a great job getting UFC to the point it's at now but honestly they need to start seriously looking towards replacing him.

it all depends on how sonnen transitions. if he struggles at LHW, the opportunity is lost. i still want to see the hendo fight...hopefully he can take a couple months off and we'll see it in the future.

joe silva also deserves blame since he's always touted as the matchmaker. i've always felt they should cut back on PPVs ever since the fox deal. they just don't have the depth to keep going at this pace and when there's a major injury, it can kill the card. injuries have hit hard this year.

oh well, nothing to do but wait for 152:

Last edited by blacknapalm : 08-23-2012 at 08:55 PM.
Old 08-23-2012, 10:31 PM   #1584
gigantes
Tor Johnson.

jon jones, you reap what you sow. if you didn't understand that principle before, i'm betting that in the coming days, you most certainly will. and i will not be shedding a single tear for you.

regardless, dana white needs to be replaced. somehow, some way he seems to be getting more unprofessional with time. i realise that he is in lock step with the fertittas and joe rogan in condemning jones, but out of those four people, the show-runner is supposed to be the most professional of all, like in pretty much all other sports. yet it's usually the reverse with dana white. crazy.
gigantes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2012, 10:36 PM   #1585
Real Men Wear Green
Please clap.

Sonnen doesn't actually want to fight Jones. He just wants to learn how to connect on a spin move.
Real Men Wear Green is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2012, 11:12 PM   #1586
Brujesino
Stephen Kerry

never will
Brujesino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2012, 11:31 PM   #1587
IcanzIIravor
NBA rookie of the year

Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeypox
Too late for that, he was given till this morning some time and he turned the fight down. Seems like it would be easy for him. They have him a soft ball fight to save the card and it was still too dangerous for him. Typical of Jacksons risk adverse mentality. Sucks since his first title shot came as a replacement against Shogun when everyone was crying that he didn't deserve it.

I wouldn't have taken it either. The UFC has made millions and is highly profitable. Comical of Dana to say that this has cost the other fighters money when he could easily just cut them a check and it would be pennies compared to what he and the company have made off the fighters. Hell he still could have let the card happen, slash the ticket and ppv price and still would have turned a profit considering the pennies he pays fighters compared to other major sports. Dana is just mad that for once a fighter didn't drop to his knees and unzip his pants to make him happy.
IcanzIIravor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2012, 11:38 PM   #1588
Patrick Chewing
New Jack Hustler

What a joke. Put on a fight any fight. MMA and their athletes are starting to become prima donnas.
Patrick Chewing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2012, 01:06 AM   #1589
Brujesino
Stephen Kerry

Wait a minute Machida turns down the title fight and now Vitor Belfort steps in!?!?!?!?!

http://www.mmafighting.com/2012/8/24...ida-turns-down
Brujesino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2012, 01:09 AM   #1590
blacknapalm
spider 2 y banana

holy shit, this is officially hilarious

how is belfort even deserving? who is the last good fighter he beat? franklin?

why did machida turn down the fight? did he want more money? wtf, i was actually looking forward to that fight.

at least if one of them gets hurt, 152 has a good co main event that people would be interested in. lesson learned even if this whole fiasco should and could have been avoided.....

Last edited by blacknapalm : 08-24-2012 at 01:24 AM.
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: