Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Off the Court Lounge

Off the Court Lounge Basketball fans talk about everything EXCEPT basketball here

Old 10-16-2012, 11:18 PM   #1921
Jackass18
The Iron Price

Default Re: MMA Discussion/News thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaydacris
with TUF not doing so well... looks like UFC is pulling out some big guns for the show

reports are saying that Jon Jones and Chael Sonnen will be the next coaches for the ultimate fighter, and will fight in April

http://www.latimes.com/sports/sports...,1269872.story

Chael would be good for the show, but why does he get to fight Jones? It's a shame they value ratings and PPV buys much more than the integrity of sport.
Jackass18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 11:21 PM   #1922
Godzuki
7-time NBA All-Star

they should let chael juice for this fight. i hope he brings his A game, i'd like to see Jon Jones tested. its going to be interesting to gauge the Silva fights with Chael to this one, not to mention TUF might be hilarious if Chael keeps talking shit.
Godzuki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 11:25 PM   #1923
Qwyjibo
Yankee.Hotel.Foxtrot

As much as I'd like to see Chael beat Jones, he's going to get wrecked. At least against Silva he could get him to the ground. I don't see that happening against Jones, especially with the way he toyed with Evans.
Qwyjibo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 11:26 PM   #1924
Jackass18
The Iron Price

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarlosBoozer
What do you guys think of Brock Lesnar's MMA run?
He went 5-3 and was on a 4 winning streak with wins against frank mir, heath herring, randy courture and shane carwin.

For me, yeah he was a bit overhyped but I was always pumped up for his fights because he was always exciting too watch! I think his run was pretty impressive for someone who barely had MMA training and was a WWE superstar half of his life.

Short, but sweet career. Got screwed over in the first Mir fight, but got his revenge in the second fight. It was good in that he brought in a lot of viewers, but that has hurt the integrity of the sport with them giving shortcuts to popular fighters.
Old 10-16-2012, 11:40 PM   #1925
Jackass18
The Iron Price

Quote:
Originally Posted by gigantes
that little winning streak is drastically overhyped IMO.

mir was never the same after his accident

Mir was never the same after the accident? He beat much better opponents after the accident than before it.

Quote:
herring and couture had major flaws as "HW elites,"

Yeah, but look at how inexperienced Lesnar was when he fought those guys. He had very little experience while Couture and Herring were experienced fighters who had already faced a lot of top tier opponents.

Quote:
and carwin was basically bashing brock's face in until he got a little too excited and gassed. brock has a good chin, but without shane going wild and gassing, there's no way he wins that fight.

Yeah, Carwin was winning until he got tapped by Lesnar. Maybe if Carwin had better cardio then he wins the fight, but who knows? It just seems like you're totally trying to discredit Lesnar's win for whatever reason.
Old 10-16-2012, 11:51 PM   #1926
Real Men Wear Green
Please clap.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackass18
Short, but sweet career. Got screwed over in the first Mir fight, but got his revenge in the second fight. It was good in that he brought in a lot of viewers, but that has hurt the integrity of the sport with them giving shortcuts to popular fighters.
In Lesnar's case it was kind of retroactively justified by him winning the belt but it can't be argued that he jumped the line thanks to fame. I'd have made the same decision as UFC did, they're still in infancy and have to get attention.
Real Men Wear Green is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 05:46 AM   #1927
gigantes
Tor Johnson.

Quote:
Yeah, but look at how inexperienced Lesnar was when he fought those guys. He had very little experience while Couture and Herring were experienced fighters who had already faced a lot of top tier opponents.
good point. but it also speaks to what i said earlier about lesnar being incredibly gifted with size and very gifted with athletic ability.

Quote:
Yeah, Carwin was winning until he got tapped by Lesnar. Maybe if Carwin had better cardio then he wins the fight, but who knows? It just seems like you're totally trying to discredit Lesnar's win for whatever reason.
it's just hard to give a lot of credit to lesnar in that fight, period. he did nothing of significance whatsoever until carwin was gassed, which is when he pulled out a little bit of wrestling and submission skill. nothing more, nothing less. the hype that flowed afterwards was ridiculous... "brock has the heart of a champion", "brock knows how to come back", etc etc.

as was quickly revealed in his next two fights, it was all pure bullshit.
gigantes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 06:59 AM   #1928
Faptastrophe
Rivalries Never Die

Quote:
Chael would be good for the show, but why does he get to fight Jones? It's a shame they value ratings and PPV buys much more than the integrity of sport.

Last edited by Faptastrophe : 10-17-2012 at 07:02 AM.
Faptastrophe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 07:12 AM   #1929
blacknapalm
spider 2 y banana

lord hendo

chael's last three of five fights have been title fights...this after losing the first two title fights. now he gets a shot in a totally different weight division. he hasn't even fought LHW in years. i think it's lame that neither machida or hendo get the next shot. hendo isn't getting any younger here.

moreover, chael got to #1 contender fights by beating jim miller and okami. okami has struggled mightily with wrestlers. miller? well, i'll just let you look up his 'signature' wins.

who actually thinks chael has a chance? i give him less of a chance than vitor. even if he is able to get jones down, i don't see how he's able to keep him there. let's say he does...not like his gnp puts guys away. how does he win? you think jones lets it get to a decision? i guess jones saying chael 'wasn't deserving' didn't matter much either. dude says one thing and does another, yet again. i guess now he's deserving despite not having any fights since.

let's be real...not many real fans want to see jones fight guys outside machida/hendo/andy. not many real fans want to see andy fight guys outside gsp/jones/weidman. the rest of this is filler.

Last edited by blacknapalm : 10-17-2012 at 07:45 AM.
blacknapalm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 08:55 AM   #1930
Godzuki
7-time NBA All-Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by blacknapalm
lord hendo

chael's last three of five fights have been title fights...this after losing the first two title fights. now he gets a shot in a totally different weight division. he hasn't even fought LHW in years. i think it's lame that neither machida or hendo get the next shot. hendo isn't getting any younger here.

moreover, chael got to #1 contender fights by beating jim miller and okami. okami has struggled mightily with wrestlers. miller? well, i'll just let you look up his 'signature' wins.

who actually thinks chael has a chance? i give him less of a chance than vitor. even if he is able to get jones down, i don't see how he's able to keep him there. let's say he does...not like his gnp puts guys away. how does he win? you think jones lets it get to a decision? i guess jones saying chael 'wasn't deserving' didn't matter much either. dude says one thing and does another, yet again. i guess now he's deserving despite not having any fights since.

let's be real...not many real fans want to see jones fight guys outside machida/hendo/andy. not many real fans want to see andy fight guys outside gsp/jones/weidman. the rest of this is filler.

chael has a better chance than most fighters if he brings his A game. his style matches up better to Silva and Jon Jones than most, even if people want to think he was only good because he juiced. Jon Jones may be good standing and on the ground, but if he's going to get beat i figure its not going to be from stand up.
Old 10-17-2012, 09:03 AM   #1931
blacknapalm
spider 2 y banana

Quote:
Originally Posted by Godzuki
chael has a better chance than most fighters if he brings his A game. his style matches up better to Silva and Jon Jones than most, even if people want to think he was only good because he juiced. Jon Jones may be good standing and on the ground, but if he's going to get beat i figure its not going to be from stand up.

jones' takedown defense is better than silva's though. his wrestling can simply neutralize sonnen's. hell....you can argue jones is the better wrestler overall. i just don't see how sonnen keeps jones on his back and finishes him. how often have we even seen jones on his back for a long time? sonnen will beat him on the ground? the guy that has one submission victory in the ufc? the rest of his victories are decisions. this is just a bad matchup for him. he doesn't have the size advantage at all to make it work like it did vs. silva.

this is a money fight. that is all.

Last edited by blacknapalm : 10-17-2012 at 09:07 AM.
Old 10-17-2012, 09:22 AM   #1932
Godzuki
7-time NBA All-Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by blacknapalm
his takedown defense is better than silva's though. his wrestling can simply neutralize sonnen's. hell....you can argue jones is the better wrestler overall. i just don't see how he keeps jones on his back and finishes him. how often have we even seen jones on his back for a long time? sonnen will beat him on the ground? the guy that has one submission victory in the ufc? the rest of his victories are decisions.

when Sonnen is on his game nobody is more relentless on the ground. at least i've never seen anybody that is as nonstop, working somebody over ground and pound like chael. i don't think most fighters have a shot at all standing against jon jones reach, which leaves his ground game as the only thing a fighter will last working if he can somehow maintain control.
Old 10-17-2012, 11:30 AM   #1933
B-Low
The Love B-Low

I'm wondering if Dana's gonna somehow try to use Chael as a pawn to start steering Jones vs. Silva into happening. Have Sonnen start going off about how much better one is than the other once he's fought them both etc. We've already seen that Chael can get under both guys skin pretty damn easily, and having the entire Ultimate Fighter season practically secluded with Jones to work his magic might be what Dana is counting on.

Just funny that he makes this decision less than a week after promising that he WOULD make Jones vs. Silva happen
B-Low is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 04:58 PM   #1934
blacknapalm
spider 2 y banana

dana just said all the top contenders turned down a fight with jones. ok, i guess that makes a little more sense.

Jones not worried about Sonnen's wrestling. "He was a freakin' [Olympic] alternate." "Who cares if he gets me down, he's getting submitted."

ya, just an olympic alternate....as if that's nothing noteworthy
Old 10-17-2012, 04:59 PM   #1935
jaydacris
Banned

looks like they will be switching TUF out of the friday slot

that plus the new coaches, should help quite a bit
jaydacris is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: