Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Off the Court Lounge

Off the Court Lounge Basketball fans talk about everything EXCEPT basketball here

Old 09-14-2012, 06:48 PM   #1936
jaydacris
Rose

Default Re: MMA Discussion/News thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edwin

haha nice
great thing about the knockout is that the guy throwing the spinning fist is almost doing all the work for the knockout
jaydacris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 08:21 PM   #1937
gigantes
A piece of fluff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Real Men Wear Green
...I'm not an expert here but I'm pretty sure that when the UFC wants to give a top Contender a title shot the Champ can't refuse him forever. Plus as prize fighters Jones and Silva will agree to any opponent if you throw enough $ at them.
i'm not so sure about that. jones is so hyper-concerned about building his legacy, being 'the greatest MMA fighter ever', and maximising every little bit of his endorsements that he is incredibly resistant to fighting silva. and the possibility of any loss, even to a legendary opponent, clearly freaks him out.

of course the part about them being buddies is probably pure bullshit and we can safely discard that reason. all it takes is the tiniest of slights for jones to go 180 on any friend or formerly respected fighter... "he disrespected me so i have no respect for him now!"

on that note, jack slack just kicked off a new analysis
series on how to dethrone the champions. an excerpt:
Quote:
Attempting outside low kicks against Jon Jones is positional suicide - a kick that connects on the outside of the thigh is very easy to catch. Jones simply sets his weight on his front foot (as always), points his knee outward so that the kick lands on the thicker muscle of his quadriceps, allows it to ride up, and catches it with his hand as it approaches his hip. This technique can be done by almost anyone but was most memorably used by Anderson Silva against James Irvin. Jones can be even more aggressive in trying to catch the leg because his opponents are unlikely to even be able to kick at his head height should he drop his hands to catch. Notice how Jones easily takes and catches the kicks of both Mauricio Rua and Quinton Jackson.

Outside thigh kicks do nothing to stop Jones planting his foot, in fact they encourage him to do so in order to take and catch the kick. Kicks to the inside of the thigh are a great deal more intriguing though. Only Rashad Evans and Quinton Jackson have used this technique against Jones in recent years and both had great immediate results then abandoned it. The beauty of the inside thigh kick is that it punishes the opponent for planting their lead foot. The more weight is placed on the lead leg, the more the opponents shin digs into a fighters' inner thigh. This kick also actively breaks a fighter's balance, notice that in the still below Rampage has kicked Jones' leg completely out of his stance.

Notice how open Jones is to attack, and that he cannot move back because he has nothing planted in front of him to push off of. This is when Rampage should have rushed in and attacked Jones, but instead Rampage returned to stance. Every time that Rampage actually tried to rush Jones without kicking it was out in the open and Jones simply circled away. Attacking Jones' legs and forcing him to check will also prevent him from moving backwards from his opponent's rushes. Rampage is not a good kickboxer and simply kicked then went back to stance, but a fighter who knows how to combine chopping low kicks and power punches may well be able to find success by simply using the inside low kick.

http://www.bloodyelbow.com/2012/9/14...-jones-UFC-152
gigantes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2012, 12:02 AM   #1938
Edwin
Serious playground baller

http://portaldovaletudo.uol.com.br/b...no-no-bellator

Curran suffered an injury in training and Patrício Pitbull told Bellator he didn't want to wait out for Curran to recover and would fight for the Bellator Interim Featherweight Title against Daniel Strauss.

He also told them he wanted a rematch with Joe Warren, but they told him that they couldn't put that fight together, because Warren had moved down to bantamweight.

He says that when he that Curran was injured, he doubted it and that he wanted to see it for himself, so he flew out to Orlando to see it and to do some marketing with Team Noguiera and he met up with Curran who he said was really nice to him and even complemented him and that Curran had his face really swollen from the injury he had suffered.

He said that he would be traveling again to the US to corner his brother Patricky Pitbull in his fight with Alvarez.

He also said that he, his brother, Rony Jason and Gasparzinho jokingly call themselves the "Team Nogueira Kids." He said he will be rooting for his brother, Rony Jason, Prado, Erick, Maldonado, Forte. Also for Minotauro and Anderson of course.
Edwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2012, 08:55 AM   #1939
Jackass18
The Iron Price

Anyone watching the new season of TUF? Mazzagatti is still horrible. He rushes in to stop a fight whenever there's a knockdown. Not a knockout, but a knockdown...
Jackass18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2012, 04:00 AM   #1940
Edwin
Serious playground baller

i watched it, i thought it was alright. yeah mazzagatti's referring wasn't the best.

the dude with the pink mohawk will be the chris leben and junie browning of the season.

the fighters i'll be looking forward to watch the most this season as they showed potential in their prelim fights are: ricci, diffey, alvey and waters.
Edwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 02:55 AM   #1941
jaydacris
Rose

god damnit
frank mir injured

no mir/cormier
argh!
Old 09-19-2012, 03:32 AM   #1942
blacknapalm
spider 2 y banana

super lame sauce. wtf are these fighters doing in their training camps? at this point, i'm just going to assume every big fight is going to be cancelled. that way, when it happens, i can actually be excited for it and not disappointed.

Last edited by blacknapalm : 09-19-2012 at 03:39 AM.
blacknapalm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 05:24 PM   #1943
gigantes
A piece of fluff

So Werdum is open to replacing Mir.

*gulp* I'm a little worried for Cormier in that matchup... Werdum is probably the #4 HW in the world... definitely a much harder road to a title fight.

Maybe when Cormier gets injured they can bring Fedor back for a rematch. Then, when Werdum gets injured, they can bring Tim Sylvia back for his own rematch with Fedor. Then, when Fedor changes his mind, they can bring in Arlovski for Sylvia - Arlovski #5, which both fighters wanted anyway. Woohoo!
Old 09-21-2012, 09:57 PM   #1944
$LakerGold
#TeamMir #TeamRousey

I thought UFC 152 was on today ... FML. This always happens.
$LakerGold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2012, 09:17 PM   #1945
$LakerGold
#TeamMir #TeamRousey

UFC 152 Thread:

http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/sho...85#post7811185
Old 09-23-2012, 10:50 PM   #1946
$LakerGold
#TeamMir #TeamRousey

Dana White:

"If you didn't like that flyweight fight, don't ever buy a UFC ppv again. I don't want your money. You're a moron."

I don't know bout yall, but I love Dana
Old 09-25-2012, 04:03 AM   #1947
gigantes
A piece of fluff

"My experiences with Jon Jones" (written by a fellow HS wrestler and training partner)
http://www.bloodyelbow.com/2012/9/24...with-jon-jones

he's obviously grown up somewhat since then, but this does explain some things IMO.

Last edited by gigantes : 09-25-2012 at 04:58 AM.
Old 09-25-2012, 09:00 PM   #1948
jaydacris
Rose

gsp/condit poster

looks good!

still kinda irks me that condit was made an 'interim' champ.... he never even defended it

it should be gsp reigning champ vs challenger carlos condit
Old 09-29-2012, 12:00 AM   #1949
SourPatchKids
Banned

Can you say worst season of TUF ever?
SourPatchKids is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2012, 02:34 AM   #1950
The Macho Man
Randy Savage

The worlds greatest fighter/athlete is on It's Always Sunny In Philadelphia. Is there anything he can't do?
The Macho Man is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: