Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Off the Court Lounge

Off the Court Lounge Basketball fans talk about everything EXCEPT basketball here

Old 10-18-2012, 05:40 PM   #1951
Real Men Wear Green
Please clap.

Default Re: MMA Discussion/News thread

Sonnen fans are now officially a detriment to MMA. How is this a good fight? When's the last time Sonnen even fought an LHW? How is a 17-12 MW getting a shot at the Champ? He can't beat Silva, so how does he beat a bigger, faster, stronger, younger version of Silva? But no, this is what the fans supposedly want...please. Rashad Evans would beat him into a coma. Easily.
Real Men Wear Green is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 07:45 PM   #1952
gigantes
Tor Johnson.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackass18
He's referring to UFC 151 when he asked people to take it on rather short notice. It also ignores the fact that there were a couple guys (Weidman is one off the top of my head) who said they would have taken the fight at 151 if they were asked.
yea, he's basically trying to say the post-hendo mad scramble of 151 is the same thing as the logical next candidate for jones at TUF.

as i see it, the two things are almost completely unrelated. but it's all the same thing if you hear dana white tell it.

machida or hendo should have been next if this was currently a sport that made any sense.
gigantes is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 09:28 PM   #1953
Jackass18
The Iron Price

Quote:
Originally Posted by raiderfan19
To be fair as little as I think of chael, Weidman has absolutely no business in that conversation.

He has more business than Chael.

Another thing that Dana seems to be conveniently sidestepping is that the guys who turned down the title shot at 151 did it because not only was it on rather short notice, but also that it might have been their last shot or at least wouldn't get another one for a long time, so they would want time to prepare for it. The way dipshit Dana is talking, he's punishing guys for wanting to actually be prepared for a title shot (which could end up being their last chance)... Dana needs to stop bullshitting so damn much and just admit he gave Chael the shot simply for ratings/PPV buys. But I guess Dana knows nothing but how to bullshit people. FFS, Chael had very, very little to lose and everything to gain by being willing to take that fight on short notice while the other guys who were asked had much more to lose. Oh, but let's praise the hell out of Chael for accepting a title shot handed to him on a silver platter.

Last edited by Jackass18 : 10-18-2012 at 09:36 PM.
Jackass18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 09:58 PM   #1954
Qwyjibo
Yankee.Hotel.Foxtrot

Quote:
Another thing that Dana seems to be conveniently sidestepping is that the guys who turned down the title shot at 151 did it because not only was it on rather short notice, but also that it might have been their last shot or at least wouldn't get another one for a long time, so they would want time to prepare for it. The way dipshit Dana is talking, he's punishing guys for wanting to actually be prepared for a title shot (which could end up being their last chance)... Dana needs to stop bullshitting so damn much and just admit he gave Chael the shot simply for ratings/PPV buys. But I guess Dana knows nothing but how to bullshit people. FFS, Chael had very, very little to lose and everything to gain by being willing to take that fight on short notice while the other guys who were asked had much more to lose. Oh, but let's praise the hell out of Chael for accepting a title shot handed to him on a silver platter.
I totally agree with that. It would've been incredibly stupid for guys like Machida or Shogun to accept that fight on such short notice. They already lost once to Jones. This would be their absolute last chance at the title. You need to be prepared for that kind of a fight.
Qwyjibo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 10:33 PM   #1955
gigantes
Tor Johnson.

Dunno about you, but lately it's becoming harder and harder to get excited about zuffa events. Lately it's all cancellations, double-talk, manipulation... god. Point is, it's getting pretty bad. Unprecedented bad I couldn't say because I've only been an MMA fan for about 3-4 years.

Thing is this- whenever anyone, anywhere challenges Dana he keeps going the macho, needlessly-antagonistic response route. Although from all the first-hand accts I've read, he does consistently work his ass off to be the front man, and that should get some respect, I guess.

But, riffing on what Jackass and most of the fighters and MMA writers seem to be saying- Dana is becoming more and more a detriment to MMA than an a resource when reality comes down to reality.

Anyone, anywhere think that Dana is being unfairly persecuted here?
gigantes is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 10:53 PM   #1956
Jackass18
The Iron Price

The UFC hit a rather rough patch, but I think there's daylight now. The last event was great. The returns of GSP, Overeem, Nick Diaz and such are coming up. Alvarez might sign with the UFC. There's good events coming up. Strikeforce OTOH...
Old 10-19-2012, 02:44 AM   #1957
jaydacris
Al

looks like its not hendo/machida

but instead machida/evans 2 is prly going down in january

jaydacris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2012, 03:05 AM   #1958
raiderfan19
Shazam!

I have no problem with that. I want Hendo to get a shot, but I have no problem with Evans getting that fight if it's a number 1 contender fight. IMO Evans might end up in a situation like rich Franklin where he's clearly the number 2 guy in his weigh class and yet clearly has nothing for the champ.

Speaking of Franklin, with him about to fight ill point out I absolutely love that guy. Truly would fight anyone, was always willing to trade with guys even though his chin got worse as it got beat on(he started out with a damn good chin or the first silva fight would have been over much quicker). He will be a UFC hofer and a deserving one.

As for weidman, he's beaten Damien Maia who is now a ww and Munoz. Neither one of those exactly screams I'm ready for a title shot in a higher weight class. I honestly don't see much difference between how much him or chael deserves it.
raiderfan19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2012, 04:00 AM   #1959
blacknapalm
spider 2 y banana

so we're gonna get a shad face 2? would have preferred hendo/machida if anything. i said it before but hendo is already in his 40s...he really can't afford to wait around a year or two.

i can agree with the overall sentiment of the last page. i can understand having a balance of drawing power/rankings but lately it just seems like drawing power and money have really taken over and rankings have just become irrelevant.

dana's a promotor and whatever but ya, he really struggles with taking criticism. he always sees it as an attack. i really wonder who is there to keep him in check. then the rest of his 'accounts' are some one sided rhetoric POV shit. fujitas have deep pockets and as long as dana keeps bringing in money, i don't really see a change.

dana's done a great job of bringing ufc to where it's at which is mainstream national spotlight but one has to wonder how much better it would be with some new blood...someone professional and creative at the same time.
blacknapalm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2012, 12:24 PM   #1960
Jackass18
The Iron Price

Quote:
Originally Posted by raiderfan19
As for weidman, he's beaten Damien Maia who is now a ww and Munoz. Neither one of those exactly screams I'm ready for a title shot in a higher weight class. I honestly don't see much difference between how much him or chael deserves it.

Maia, the same guy who beat Chael. Munoz had a good win streak and was the #3 MW when Weidman beat him. Weidman is 9-0 while Sonnen lost his last fight. Sonnen has already had 2 fairly recent title shots and lost both while Weidman hasn't received one yet. I'm not saying that Weidman is deserving of a title shot at LHW, just that he's more deserving than Chael.
Old 10-19-2012, 03:26 PM   #1961
$LakerGold
#TeamRousey #TeamStark

Arrow Re: MMA Discussion/News thread

Damn ... that's gonna be good. Rashad takes a lot of pride in his boxing. I wonder if he's goin to stand-up with Machida.
$LakerGold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2012, 04:14 PM   #1962
Faptastrophe
Rivalries Never Die

It'll be Forrest Griffin vs. Phil Davis at UFC 155.

http://www.ufc.com/news/ufc-155-fight-card-updates
Faptastrophe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2012, 05:01 PM   #1963
raiderfan19
Shazam!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackass18
Maia, the same guy who beat Chael. Munoz had a good win streak and was the #3 MW when Weidman beat him. Weidman is 9-0 while Sonnen lost his last fight. Sonnen has already had 2 fairly recent title shots and lost both while Weidman hasn't received one yet. I'm not saying that Weidman is deserving of a title shot at LHW, just that he's more deserving than Chael.
Munoz beat leben, Maia, cb dolloway and Aaron Simpson. I'm sorry but he was never the third best middleweight. To be perfectly honest the middleweight most deserving of a title shot at this point might be bisping

Edit but all of that said, middleweight is probably the shallowest division in Mma and 205 is probably the deepest so I don't see how it makes sense to give a middleweight a 205 title shot

Last edited by raiderfan19 : 10-19-2012 at 11:12 PM.
Old 10-19-2012, 10:51 PM   #1964
raiderfan19
Shazam!

Watching the ultimate fighter, that was a horrible stand up.

Last edited by raiderfan19 : 10-19-2012 at 10:58 PM.
Old 10-20-2012, 09:34 AM   #1965
raiderfan19
Shazam!

Btw, considering that he's a mw again, rich Franklin should be ranked number 2 to be honest.
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: