Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Off the Court Lounge

Off the Court Lounge Basketball fans talk about everything EXCEPT basketball here

Old 10-16-2012, 10:22 PM   #2071
Qwyjibo
Yankee.Hotel.Foxtrot

Default Re: MMA Discussion/News thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarlosBoozer
What do you guys think of Brock Lesnar's MMA run?
He went 5-3 and was on a 4 winning streak with wins against frank mir, heath herring, randy courture and shane carwin.

For me, yeah he was a bit overhyped but I was always pumped up for his fights because he was always exciting too watch! I think his run was pretty impressive for someone who barely had MMA training and was a WWE superstar half of his life.
Brock had a short but very nice career. He should be proud of it. He was relatively inexperienced and beat some tough fighters. He lost to two former HW champions and another guy who is around the top of the division too.

It honestly looked like he was totally checked-out mentally for the Overeem fight too. As if he wanted a reason to retire.
Qwyjibo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 10:26 PM   #2072
The Macho Man
Randy Savage

Quote:
He went 5-3 and was on a 4 winning streak with wins against frank mir, heath herring, randy courture and shane carwin.

For me, yeah he was a bit overhyped but I was always pumped up for his fights because he was always exciting too watch! I think his run was pretty impressive for someone who barely had MMA training and was a WWE superstar half of his life.

Like 3 years.

I enjoyed Cain beating him silly. And I enjoyed him beating Mir silly.
The Macho Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 10:32 PM   #2073
CarlosBoozer
"Boozer"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qwyjibo
Brock had a short but very nice career. He should be proud of it. He was relatively inexperienced and beat some tough fighters. He lost to two former HW champions and another guy who is around the top of the division too.

It honestly looked like he was totally checked-out mentally for the Overeem fight too. As if he wanted a reason to retire.
I think he'll be the only successful WWE superstar to compete in MMA and actually win a championship belt. I only wished he had trained in MMA earlier.. so much potential
CarlosBoozer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 10:33 PM   #2074
blacknapalm
spider 2 y banana

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qwyjibo

agreed. dude was a freak athlete. would have definitely been interesting to see what he did if he entered mma as soon as his wrestling days were over. it's not like he ever had the best training camp guys either.

one of the funniest moments to me was when he was watching that mir knee bar film and he said he fvcking hates maazigatti. he did have a point since he tapped like five times while looking at him before mazaigatti broke it up. i'm sure you can put together a reel of mario's mishaps.

i also just found it amusing that so many mma purists hated the fact he had a wwe background. they were so mad every time he won, lol. really never understood that...why be insecure/sensitive about something so insignificant. if you're going to dislike someone at least let it be about their attitude/approach.

Last edited by blacknapalm : 10-16-2012 at 10:42 PM.
blacknapalm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 10:34 PM   #2075
CarlosBoozer
"Boozer"

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Macho Man
Like 3 years.

I enjoyed Cain beating him silly. And I enjoyed him beating Mir silly.
Wow 3 years only?! I guess as a kid it felt longer

I usually hate watching guys get pounded in gnp the entire fight, but it felt good seeing trash talkin mir get beaten to a bloody pulp!
CarlosBoozer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 11:19 PM   #2076
gigantes
A piece of fluff

Quote:
that little winning streak is drastically overhyped IMO.

mir was never the same after his accident, herring and couture had major flaws as "HW elites," and carwin was basically bashing brock's face in until he got a little too excited and gassed. brock has a good chin, but without shane going wild and gassing, there's no way he wins that fight.

Quote:
agree. brock did great in MMA, and despite his flaws he's one of the most riveting fighters to watch, ever. toss it up between watching the diaz bros fight and lesnar fight, and i'd probably choose brockle snar every time.

what disappoints me about brock is that his huge ego pretty much prevented him from ever becoming an elite MMA fighter. probably because he insisted at training at a local facility in MIN with 2nd-level coaches when he could have hopped flights to train with elite gyms, like jacksons and AKA, that weren't all that far from him.

the other thing is that brock's standup was pitiful for being such a huge, strong, gifted athlete that he was. and it just never developed. smaller, less-gifted MMA athletes work their asses off between every fight trying to shore up their weaknesses and expand on their strengths, and yet brock was a headcase about all of that stuff. he seemed to think he was great the way he was and never needed to become significantly better.

the worst thing of all to me was when he faced off against overeem knowing that his standup game still sucked. by all rights he should have seen his main path to victory was in a successful shoot for top control, or maybe even an underposition submission. instead, he stayed on his feet the whole time, exposed his tender midsection to a kickboxing virtuoso, and did a weird kind of toe bob while every part of his body looked near-frozen. i've rarely seen a stranger gameplan from a fighter, ever.

brock just never got what MMA was about IMO. his record is more smoke and mirrors than substance, and he definitely does not belong in any MMA HOF. at the same time, you can't help watching him and missing him. to be honest, the sport still needs him. unfortunately, dana does not seem able to match the salary that vince does.
gigantes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 12:18 AM   #2077
Jackass18
The Iron Price

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaydacris
with TUF not doing so well... looks like UFC is pulling out some big guns for the show

reports are saying that Jon Jones and Chael Sonnen will be the next coaches for the ultimate fighter, and will fight in April

http://www.latimes.com/sports/sports...,1269872.story

Chael would be good for the show, but why does he get to fight Jones? It's a shame they value ratings and PPV buys much more than the integrity of sport.
Jackass18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 12:21 AM   #2078
Godzuki
3-time NBA All-Star

they should let chael juice for this fight. i hope he brings his A game, i'd like to see Jon Jones tested. its going to be interesting to gauge the Silva fights with Chael to this one, not to mention TUF might be hilarious if Chael keeps talking shit.
Godzuki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 12:25 AM   #2079
Qwyjibo
Yankee.Hotel.Foxtrot

As much as I'd like to see Chael beat Jones, he's going to get wrecked. At least against Silva he could get him to the ground. I don't see that happening against Jones, especially with the way he toyed with Evans.
Qwyjibo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 12:26 AM   #2080
Jackass18
The Iron Price

Quote:

Short, but sweet career. Got screwed over in the first Mir fight, but got his revenge in the second fight. It was good in that he brought in a lot of viewers, but that has hurt the integrity of the sport with them giving shortcuts to popular fighters.
Old 10-17-2012, 12:40 AM   #2081
Jackass18
The Iron Price

Quote:
Originally Posted by gigantes
that little winning streak is drastically overhyped IMO.

mir was never the same after his accident

Mir was never the same after the accident? He beat much better opponents after the accident than before it.

Quote:
herring and couture had major flaws as "HW elites,"

Yeah, but look at how inexperienced Lesnar was when he fought those guys. He had very little experience while Couture and Herring were experienced fighters who had already faced a lot of top tier opponents.

Quote:
and carwin was basically bashing brock's face in until he got a little too excited and gassed. brock has a good chin, but without shane going wild and gassing, there's no way he wins that fight.

Yeah, Carwin was winning until he got tapped by Lesnar. Maybe if Carwin had better cardio then he wins the fight, but who knows? It just seems like you're totally trying to discredit Lesnar's win for whatever reason.
Old 10-17-2012, 12:51 AM   #2082
Real Men Wear Green
Your ad here

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackass18
Short, but sweet career. Got screwed over in the first Mir fight, but got his revenge in the second fight. It was good in that he brought in a lot of viewers, but that has hurt the integrity of the sport with them giving shortcuts to popular fighters.
In Lesnar's case it was kind of retroactively justified by him winning the belt but it can't be argued that he jumped the line thanks to fame. I'd have made the same decision as UFC did, they're still in infancy and have to get attention.
Real Men Wear Green is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 06:46 AM   #2083
gigantes
A piece of fluff

Quote:
Yeah, but look at how inexperienced Lesnar was when he fought those guys. He had very little experience while Couture and Herring were experienced fighters who had already faced a lot of top tier opponents.
good point. but it also speaks to what i said earlier about lesnar being incredibly gifted with size and very gifted with athletic ability.

Quote:
Yeah, Carwin was winning until he got tapped by Lesnar. Maybe if Carwin had better cardio then he wins the fight, but who knows? It just seems like you're totally trying to discredit Lesnar's win for whatever reason.
it's just hard to give a lot of credit to lesnar in that fight, period. he did nothing of significance whatsoever until carwin was gassed, which is when he pulled out a little bit of wrestling and submission skill. nothing more, nothing less. the hype that flowed afterwards was ridiculous... "brock has the heart of a champion", "brock knows how to come back", etc etc.

as was quickly revealed in his next two fights, it was all pure bullshit.
gigantes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 07:59 AM   #2084
Faptastrophe
Rivalries Never Die

Quote:
Chael would be good for the show, but why does he get to fight Jones? It's a shame they value ratings and PPV buys much more than the integrity of sport.

Last edited by Faptastrophe : 10-17-2012 at 08:02 AM.
Faptastrophe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 08:12 AM   #2085
blacknapalm
spider 2 y banana

lord hendo

chael's last three of five fights have been title fights...this after losing the first two title fights. now he gets a shot in a totally different weight division. he hasn't even fought LHW in years. i think it's lame that neither machida or hendo get the next shot. hendo isn't getting any younger here.

moreover, chael got to #1 contender fights by beating jim miller and okami. okami has struggled mightily with wrestlers. miller? well, i'll just let you look up his 'signature' wins.

who actually thinks chael has a chance? i give him less of a chance than vitor. even if he is able to get jones down, i don't see how he's able to keep him there. let's say he does...not like his gnp puts guys away. how does he win? you think jones lets it get to a decision? i guess jones saying chael 'wasn't deserving' didn't matter much either. dude says one thing and does another, yet again. i guess now he's deserving despite not having any fights since.

let's be real...not many real fans want to see jones fight guys outside machida/hendo/andy. not many real fans want to see andy fight guys outside gsp/jones/weidman. the rest of this is filler.

Last edited by blacknapalm : 10-17-2012 at 08:45 AM.
blacknapalm is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: