Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Off the Court Lounge

Off the Court Lounge Basketball fans talk about everything EXCEPT basketball here

Old 10-17-2012, 09:55 AM   #2086
Godzuki
3-time NBA All-Star

Godzuki has decent reputationGodzuki has decent reputation
Default Re: MMA Discussion/News thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by blacknapalm
lord hendo

chael's last three of five fights have been title fights...this after losing the first two title fights. now he gets a shot in a totally different weight division. he hasn't even fought LHW in years. i think it's lame that neither machida or hendo get the next shot. hendo isn't getting any younger here.

moreover, chael got to #1 contender fights by beating jim miller and okami. okami has struggled mightily with wrestlers. miller? well, i'll just let you look up his 'signature' wins.

who actually thinks chael has a chance? i give him less of a chance than vitor. even if he is able to get jones down, i don't see how he's able to keep him there. let's say he does...not like his gnp puts guys away. how does he win? you think jones lets it get to a decision? i guess jones saying chael 'wasn't deserving' didn't matter much either. dude says one thing and does another, yet again. i guess now he's deserving despite not having any fights since.

let's be real...not many real fans want to see jones fight guys outside machida/hendo/andy. not many real fans want to see andy fight guys outside gsp/jones/weidman. the rest of this is filler.

chael has a better chance than most fighters if he brings his A game. his style matches up better to Silva and Jon Jones than most, even if people want to think he was only good because he juiced. Jon Jones may be good standing and on the ground, but if he's going to get beat i figure its not going to be from stand up.
Godzuki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 10:03 AM   #2087
blacknapalm
spider 2 y banana

blacknapalm is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterblacknapalm is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterblacknapalm is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterblacknapalm is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterblacknapalm is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterblacknapalm is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterblacknapalm is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterblacknapalm is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterblacknapalm is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Godzuki
chael has a better chance than most fighters if he brings his A game. his style matches up better to Silva and Jon Jones than most, even if people want to think he was only good because he juiced. Jon Jones may be good standing and on the ground, but if he's going to get beat i figure its not going to be from stand up.

jones' takedown defense is better than silva's though. his wrestling can simply neutralize sonnen's. hell....you can argue jones is the better wrestler overall. i just don't see how sonnen keeps jones on his back and finishes him. how often have we even seen jones on his back for a long time? sonnen will beat him on the ground? the guy that has one submission victory in the ufc? the rest of his victories are decisions. this is just a bad matchup for him. he doesn't have the size advantage at all to make it work like it did vs. silva.

this is a money fight. that is all.

Last edited by blacknapalm : 10-17-2012 at 10:07 AM.
blacknapalm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 10:22 AM   #2088
Godzuki
3-time NBA All-Star

Quote:
his takedown defense is better than silva's though. his wrestling can simply neutralize sonnen's. hell....you can argue jones is the better wrestler overall. i just don't see how he keeps jones on his back and finishes him. how often have we even seen jones on his back for a long time? sonnen will beat him on the ground? the guy that has one submission victory in the ufc? the rest of his victories are decisions.

when Sonnen is on his game nobody is more relentless on the ground. at least i've never seen anybody that is as nonstop, working somebody over ground and pound like chael. i don't think most fighters have a shot at all standing against jon jones reach, which leaves his ground game as the only thing a fighter will last working if he can somehow maintain control.
Old 10-17-2012, 12:30 PM   #2089
B-Low
The Love B-Low

B-Low is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableB-Low is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableB-Low is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableB-Low is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableB-Low is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableB-Low is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableB-Low is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableB-Low is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableB-Low is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableB-Low is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableB-Low is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

I'm wondering if Dana's gonna somehow try to use Chael as a pawn to start steering Jones vs. Silva into happening. Have Sonnen start going off about how much better one is than the other once he's fought them both etc. We've already seen that Chael can get under both guys skin pretty damn easily, and having the entire Ultimate Fighter season practically secluded with Jones to work his magic might be what Dana is counting on.

Just funny that he makes this decision less than a week after promising that he WOULD make Jones vs. Silva happen
B-Low is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 05:58 PM   #2090
blacknapalm
spider 2 y banana

blacknapalm is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterblacknapalm is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterblacknapalm is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterblacknapalm is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterblacknapalm is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterblacknapalm is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterblacknapalm is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterblacknapalm is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterblacknapalm is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

dana just said all the top contenders turned down a fight with jones. ok, i guess that makes a little more sense.

Jones not worried about Sonnen's wrestling. "He was a freakin' [Olympic] alternate." "Who cares if he gets me down, he's getting submitted."

ya, just an olympic alternate....as if that's nothing noteworthy
Old 10-17-2012, 05:59 PM   #2091
jaydacris
Rose

jaydacris is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablejaydacris is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablejaydacris is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablejaydacris is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablejaydacris is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablejaydacris is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablejaydacris is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablejaydacris is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablejaydacris is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablejaydacris is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablejaydacris is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

looks like they will be switching TUF out of the friday slot

that plus the new coaches, should help quite a bit
jaydacris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 06:13 PM   #2092
AlphaWolf24
Bringer of Rain

AlphaWolf24 has decent reputation

Quote:
dana just said all the top contenders turned down a fight with jones. ok, i guess that makes a little more sense.

Jones not worried about Sonnen's wrestling. "He was a freakin' [Olympic] alternate." "Who cares if he gets me down, he's getting submitted."

ya, just an olympic alternate....as if that's nothing noteworthy

no way Chael takes Jones down...

MMA Wrestling is not the same as standard wrestling...
AlphaWolf24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 06:16 PM   #2093
AlphaWolf24
Bringer of Rain

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarlosBoozer
What do you guys think of Brock Lesnar's MMA run?
He went 5-3 and was on a 4 winning streak with wins against frank mir, heath herring, randy courture and shane carwin.

For me, yeah he was a bit overhyped but I was always pumped up for his fights because he was always exciting too watch! I think his run was pretty impressive for someone who barely had MMA training and was a WWE superstar half of his life.

pretty good for a guy who basically took up MMA later in his athletic prime as just a hobby.
Old 10-17-2012, 06:24 PM   #2094
blacknapalm
spider 2 y banana

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlphaWolf24
no way Chael takes Jones down...

MMA Wrestling is not the same as standard wrestling...

if you read my previous posts, i'm mostly in agreement. even if he is able to take jones down, how does chael win? he'll get subbed before he can ride out a decision. i really can't see him keeping top control.

i just thought it was funny that jones shrugged off being an olympic alternate as if it was nothing. you're a damn elite wrestler if you become an olympic alternate.

might as well say, 'he only won a freakin' bronze medal'.

Last edited by blacknapalm : 10-17-2012 at 06:26 PM.
Old 10-17-2012, 06:36 PM   #2095
AlphaWolf24
Bringer of Rain

Quote:
if you read my previous posts, i'm mostly in agreement. even if he is able to take jones down, how does chael win? he'll get subbed before he can ride out a decision. i really can't see him keeping top control.

i just thought it was funny that jones shrugged off being an olympic alternate as if it was nothing. you're a damn elite wrestler if you become an olympic alternate.

might as well say, 'he only won a freakin' bronze medal'.

I hink jones is viewing it from this perspective...

"I (Jones) am in my Peak...I am arguably the best overall Fighter in MMA....I also am a great wrestler....I have a much more deverse style then Sonnen"

Imagine if Lebron and Durant were on the same team....and the won 5 NBA Titles in a row....

but then they (thier team) had to play the Argentine National team(after ARG won a gold medal)....they would understand that they were a good team...But Bron and Durant know they(there team) are just way better..

Sonnen is a great wrestler...Jones is a great wrestler...

but Jones has proven to be a much better MMA Fighter...and shrugged off Chael Olympic history...just as Brons team would shrug off a Argentinian team.

Old 10-17-2012, 06:54 PM   #2096
jaydacris
Rose

jaydacris is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablejaydacris is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablejaydacris is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablejaydacris is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablejaydacris is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablejaydacris is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablejaydacris is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablejaydacris is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablejaydacris is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablejaydacris is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablejaydacris is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

just 5 months ago...

after jon jones DUI

Quote:
chael sonnen @sonnench
@jonnybones There is no growth without pain. Small price to pay for the lesson learned. Glad you are safe. #gotyourback
4:01 PM May 19th

haha
jaydacris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 07:03 PM   #2097
raiderfan19
Shazam!

raiderfan19 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterraiderfan19 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterraiderfan19 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterraiderfan19 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterraiderfan19 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterraiderfan19 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterraiderfan19 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterraiderfan19 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterraiderfan19 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterraiderfan19 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Jones is a better Mma wrestler than chael. This will get ugly
raiderfan19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 07:25 PM   #2098
Godzuki
3-time NBA All-Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by raiderfan19
Jones is a better Mma wrestler than chael. This will get ugly

only true if you're judging him by his poor fights. he's looked as dominating a wrestler there is in MMA in his good ones...and i still don't think it was purely based on roids. i also think he could tire Jones out and win that way if Chael brings his A game and doesn't get caught.
Old 10-17-2012, 08:02 PM   #2099
The Macho Man
Randy Savage

The Macho Man is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThe Macho Man is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThe Macho Man is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThe Macho Man is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThe Macho Man is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThe Macho Man is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThe Macho Man is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThe Macho Man is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThe Macho Man is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThe Macho Man is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThe Macho Man is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Nothing could make me happier than Chael winning this fight. And I like Jones, I mean he'sa ******, but he's entertaining as hell.
The Macho Man is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 08:13 PM   #2100
AlphaWolf24
Bringer of Rain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Godzuki
only true if you're judging him by his poor fights. he's looked as dominating a wrestler there is in MMA in his good ones...and i still don't think it was purely based on roids. i also think he could tire Jones out and win that way if Chael brings his A game and doesn't get caught.

yes he is a great wrestler and does dominate other opponents..

but not against someone like Jon Jones.

2 factors I'm basing my opinion on.

#1. Jones is a great wrestler also...and has never been taken down ....factor in fighting Rashad Evans, Matt Hammil, Jake O'Brien and Ryan Bader..all great wrestlers..

#2. Jones will have a huge reach advantage and athletic advantage(speed , quikness)..he can keep his range and still effectively hit Chael.

this will be an easy win for Bones....a tune up fight for possibly the Spider....

In no universe will Sonnen beat Jones or even hurt him.

but you never know.....it's never over even when it's over.
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: