Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Off the Court Lounge

Off the Court Lounge Basketball fans talk about everything EXCEPT basketball here

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 11-18-2012, 04:39 PM   #2146
jaydacris
Banned
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 20,055
Default Re: MMA Discussion/News thread

just let diaz and koscheck fight each other. they both said they want to fight each other. and their mouths will promote the fight

both of them dont deserve any sort of fight that is near title contending. and the fight is great, because the loser will be knocked pretty far down the WW totem pole.
jaydacris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 04:48 PM   #2147
gigantes
Tor Johnson.
 
gigantes's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 12,845
Default Re: MMA Discussion/News thread

i'd love to see diaz take on hendricks or condit again. especially if condit decided to go to war with him and beat his ass down this time. OTOH, diaz is an amazing fighter, and it would also be cool to see him pull the upset against either of them.

either of those would be a nice consolation prize for me if GSP - silva goes down. nick is eligible again in february IIRC.

thank god WW has so much going on these days considering how close MW and LHW are too being total farces these days...
gigantes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 06:40 PM   #2148
ClutchOver9000
#Knickstape
 
ClutchOver9000's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 2,658
Default Re: MMA Discussion/News thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by gigantes
by contrast, an actual legit matchup that needs to be worked out ASAP is the rousey-cyborg match. DFW, if he had an ounce of integrity, should make that fight a condition for a women's division being opened in the UFC. or at least something along those lines... you know.

iirc, its a weight issue preventing that fight from taking place. Cyborg wants Rousey at 145 (the now defunct division that Cyborg was champ in and that Rousey previously fought at) and Rousey said she'll only take that fight at 135 (the division in which she is currently champion).
ClutchOver9000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 06:52 PM   #2149
raiderfan19
Shazam!
 
raiderfan19's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 6,108
Default Re: MMA Discussion/News thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by gigantes
i'd love to see diaz take on hendricks or condit again. especially if condit decided to go to war with him and beat his ass down this time. OTOH, diaz is an amazing fighter, and it would also be cool to see him pull the upset against either of them.

either of those would be a nice consolation prize for me if GSP - silva goes down. nick is eligible again in february IIRC.

thank god WW has so much going on these days considering how close MW and LHW are too being total farces these days...
Lhw is the best division in the sport. Jones is just too damn good
raiderfan19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 07:51 PM   #2150
Jackass18
The Iron Price
 
Jackass18's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Carcosa
Posts: 12,736
Default Re: MMA Discussion/News thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClutchOver9000
iirc, its a weight issue preventing that fight from taking place. Cyborg wants Rousey at 145 (the now defunct division that Cyborg was champ in and that Rousey previously fought at) and Rousey said she'll only take that fight at 135 (the division in which she is currently champion).

Cyborg's cardiologist told her that she couldn't cut to 135
Jackass18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 08:47 PM   #2151
pauk
NBA Legend
 
pauk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 17,653
Default Re: MMA Discussion/News thread

Look, i have been watching this "sport" probably earlier than anybody here (and am a longtime martial artist myself, TKD 1st dan, muay thai and a bit of bjj, if that means anything) and i can tell you right now that GSP is the most perfect & well rounded MMA "fighter" ive seen in my life and this i have been saying since the first time i saw him in 2002 (due to potential)... he has absolutely unmatched wrestling (like literally nobody ive seen before in MMA) and his striking can only be matched by Anderson Silva, which brings me to my point.... Anderson Silva will NEVER win against GSP if they decide to fight, i beg you please dont believe otherwise.... he will have as much of a chance against GSP as any of the best strikers GSP ever had to face.... he will fall to the same fate & outcome all of GSPs opponents did, which is GSPs bizarre wrestling....

You see, wrestling is and always will be the best & most important facit of MMA (or in any general no-rule-brawl bar bareknuckle man to man fighting outside your house with a stranger).... Being a superiour wrestler means that YOU control where the fight is gona go... now combine that with the absolute best striking, brazilian jiu jitsu, work ethic, will, heart, IQ and you get GSP............... The way Anderson Silva has mastered striking is the way GSP has mastered everything else (including striking)....

In fights, GSP will attack you anywhere 24-7... he is not afraid of anything... however Anderson Silva is afraid of going to the ground, he avoids going to the ground because not just because his wrestling is his weakness but because he is afraid of even being on top and counteracting submission attacks (its a gamble he doesnt like to take and he is much more dominant standing anyways)...

Anderson Silva is the best striker in UFC (so is GSP) and that is basically the only thing that is keeping him dominant in his very low competitive weightclass (which is very overwhelming against any of his those opponents in his weightclass), but he has HORRIBLE wrestling... the only wrestler he ever faced was Chael Sonnen and he was ragdolling Silva like he was a 8 year old girl, almost winning if it wasnt for that lucky triangle he pulled at the last second... now... imagine Sonnen with even better wrestling and equal striking to Silva and even better BJJ... that is GSP...

Silva later improved his takedown defense strategy in his last fight against Sonnen, but that wont work against GSP that well..... neither will Silvas striking work against GSP the way he wants it........ neither will anything else.......

GSP is the best fighter in MMA today... and the best / most complete ever...

Anderson Silva is great and is probably the most entertaining guy to watch for majority of fans due to his striking & striking only & flashiness, but he is overrated when he is called better than GSP........ hell, i think even Jon Jones is probably better fighter than Anderson Silva, for the same exact reasons GSP is better than Anderson Silva... dont get fooled by Anderson Silvas flashiness... he wouldnt touch that championship belt if he had to face something like GSP or yes probably even Jon Jones...

Last edited by pauk : 11-18-2012 at 08:58 PM.
pauk is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 09:02 PM   #2152
ClutchOver9000
#Knickstape
 
ClutchOver9000's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 2,658
Default Re: MMA Discussion/News thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by pauk
Look, i have been watching this "sport" probably earlier than anybody here (and am a longtime martial artist myself, TKD 1st dan, muay thai and a bit of bjj, if that means anything) and i can tell you right now that GSP is the most perfect & well rounded MMA "fighter" ive seen in my life and this i have been saying since the first time i saw him in 2002 (due to potential)... he has absolutely unmatched wrestling (like literally nobody ive seen before in MMA) and his striking can only be matched by Anderson Silva, which brings me to my point.... Anderson Silva will NEVER win against GSP if they decide to fight, i beg you please dont believe otherwise.... he will have as much of a chance against GSP as any of the best strikers GSP ever had to face.... he will fall to the same fate & outcome all of GSPs opponents did, which is GSPs bizarre wrestling....

You see, wrestling is and always will be the best & most important facit of MMA (or in any general no-rule-brawl bar bareknuckle man to man fighting outside your house with a stranger).... Being a superiour wrestler means that YOU control where the fight is gona go... now combine that with the absolute best striking, brazilian jiu jitsu, work ethic, will, heart, IQ and you get GSP............... The way Anderson Silva has mastered striking is the way GSP has mastered everything else (including striking)....

In fights, GSP will attack you anywhere 24-7... he is not afraid of anything... however Anderson Silva is afraid of going to the ground, he avoids going to the ground because not just because his wrestling is his weakness but because he is afraid of even being on top and counteracting submission attacks (its a gamble he doesnt like to take and he is much more dominant standing anyways)...

Anderson Silva is the best striker in UFC (so is GSP) and that is basically the only thing that is keeping him dominant in his very low competitive weightclass (which is very overwhelming against any of his those opponents in his weightclass), but he has HORRIBLE wrestling... the only wrestler he ever faced was Chael Sonnen and he was ragdolling Silva like he was a 8 year old girl, almost winning if it wasnt for that lucky triangle he pulled at the last second... now... imagine Sonnen with even better wrestling and equal striking to Silva and even better BJJ... that is GSP...

Silva later improved his takedown defense strategy in his last fight against Sonnen, but that wont work against GSP that well..... neither will Silvas striking work against GSP the way he wants it........ neither will anything else.......

GSP is the best fighter in MMA today... and the best / most complete ever...

Anderson Silva is great and is probably the most entertaining guy to watch for majority of fans due to his striking & striking only & flashiness, but he is overrated when he is called better than GSP........ hell, i think even Jon Jones is probably better fighter than Anderson Silva, for the same exact reasons GSP is better than Anderson Silva... dont get fooled by Anderson Silvas flashiness... he wouldnt touch that championship belt if he had to face something like GSP or yes probably even Jon Jones...



pauk gonna pauk
ClutchOver9000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 10:02 PM   #2153
gigantes
Tor Johnson.
 
gigantes's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 12,845
Default Re: MMA Discussion/News thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClutchOver9000
iirc, its a weight issue preventing that fight from taking place. Cyborg wants Rousey at 145 (the now defunct division that Cyborg was champ in and that Rousey previously fought at) and Rousey said she'll only take that fight at 135 (the division in which she is currently champion).
i know all the official explanations and storylines, thank you very much. fact is, ronda rousey has competed quite often as a judoka at 145 and i see no good reason why she can't fight there again on this important occasion.

fact is, i see no good reason why rousey can't hold belts in the two main divisions of WMMA.

if ronda and her manager were really so hyperconcerned about cyborg cheating, they could push for VADA testing at every step and clear up the whole matter.

in the end, their words and behavior says to me that they lack confidence and keep looking for an edge. they keep trying to win a war of words, resist all compromise, and thus the danger keeps getting pushed away. meanwhile, the sport goes nowhere.


Quote:
Originally Posted by raiderfan19
Lhw is the best division in the sport. Jones is just too damn good
i don't disagree about jones, but at the end of the day it makes for a sorry division at the top level. compare that to WW where the top 3-4 contenders all have realistic chances to upset GSP and take over the belt. thus, i'd rather watch a top WW match any day because the excitement and unpredictability is that much greater. simple fact of reality.
gigantes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 10:46 PM   #2154
ClutchOver9000
#Knickstape
 
ClutchOver9000's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 2,658
Default Re: MMA Discussion/News thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by gigantes
i know all the official explanations and storylines, thank you very much. fact is, ronda rousey has competed quite often as a judoka at 145 and i see no good reason why she can't fight there again on this important occasion.

fact is, i see no good reason why rousey can't hold belts in the two main divisions of WMMA.

if ronda and her manager were really so hyperconcerned about cyborg cheating, they could push for VADA testing at every step and clear up the whole matter.

in the end, their words and behavior says to me that they lack confidence and keep looking for an edge. they keep trying to win a war of words, resist all compromise, and thus the danger keeps getting pushed away. meanwhile, the sport goes nowhere.

I actually agree w/ you, I was simply stating what the "stalemate" was. IMO Rousey is very much worried when it comes to Cyborg. She'll never admit it but it comes off that way.
ClutchOver9000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 10:47 PM   #2155
AlphaWolf24
Bringer of Rain
 
AlphaWolf24's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 9,445
Default Re: MMA Discussion/News thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by pauk
Look, i have been watching this "sport" probably earlier than anybody here (and am a longtime martial artist myself, TKD 1st dan, muay thai and a bit of bjj, if that means anything) and i can tell you right now that GSP is the most perfect & well rounded MMA "fighter" ive seen in my life and this i have been saying since the first time i saw him in 2002 (due to potential)... he has absolutely unmatched wrestling (like literally nobody ive seen before in MMA) and his striking can only be matched by Anderson Silva, which brings me to my point.... Anderson Silva will NEVER win against GSP if they decide to fight, i beg you please dont believe otherwise.... he will have as much of a chance against GSP as any of the best strikers GSP ever had to face.... he will fall to the same fate & outcome all of GSPs opponents did, which is GSPs bizarre wrestling....

You see, wrestling is and always will be the best & most important facit of MMA (or in any general no-rule-brawl bar bareknuckle man to man fighting outside your house with a stranger).... Being a superiour wrestler means that YOU control where the fight is gona go... now combine that with the absolute best striking, brazilian jiu jitsu, work ethic, will, heart, IQ and you get GSP............... The way Anderson Silva has mastered striking is the way GSP has mastered everything else (including striking)....

In fights, GSP will attack you anywhere 24-7... he is not afraid of anything... however Anderson Silva is afraid of going to the ground, he avoids going to the ground because not just because his wrestling is his weakness but because he is afraid of even being on top and counteracting submission attacks (its a gamble he doesnt like to take and he is much more dominant standing anyways)...

Anderson Silva is the best striker in UFC (so is GSP) and that is basically the only thing that is keeping him dominant in his very low competitive weightclass (which is very overwhelming against any of his those opponents in his weightclass), but he has HORRIBLE wrestling... the only wrestler he ever faced was Chael Sonnen and he was ragdolling Silva like he was a 8 year old girl, almost winning if it wasnt for that lucky triangle he pulled at the last second... now... imagine Sonnen with even better wrestling and equal striking to Silva and even better BJJ... that is GSP...

Silva later improved his takedown defense strategy in his last fight against Sonnen, but that wont work against GSP that well..... neither will Silvas striking work against GSP the way he wants it........ neither will anything else.......

GSP is the best fighter in MMA today... and the best / most complete ever...

Anderson Silva is great and is probably the most entertaining guy to watch for majority of fans due to his striking & striking only & flashiness, but he is overrated when he is called better than GSP........ hell, i think even Jon Jones is probably better fighter than Anderson Silva, for the same exact reasons GSP is better than Anderson Silva... dont get fooled by Anderson Silvas flashiness... he wouldnt touch that championship belt if he had to face something like GSP or yes probably even Jon Jones...


You have been watching longer then anyone?? ....

whatever TUF Newb



GSP is great.....but the GOAT doesn't tap to strikes...

and wrestling isn't the best base....maybe a great base for the "UFC" Rules/scoring make believe points for takedowns.......but not for for real Vale Tudo

Last edited by AlphaWolf24 : 11-18-2012 at 10:50 PM.
AlphaWolf24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 10:51 PM   #2156
gigantes
Tor Johnson.
 
gigantes's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 12,845
Default Re: MMA Discussion/News thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClutchOver9000
I actually agree w/ you, I was simply stating what the "stalemate" was. IMO Rousey is very much worried when it comes to Cyborg. She'll never admit it but it comes off that way.
totally agree, and pardon me if i was preaching to the choir.
gigantes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 02:37 AM   #2157
raiderfan19
Shazam!
 
raiderfan19's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 6,108
Default Re: MMA Discussion/News thread

As for lhw vs ww, exciting isn't the same thing as better.

Ill take jones/Hendo/machida/rua/rashad over the top 5 in any other weight class and then you have the up and comers in Davis, glover and gustaffson plus solid old guys in lil nog/Forrest/page among others. That's a great 11 people and you still have guys like bader lurking on the fringe. Jones being an animal doesn't diminish that division
raiderfan19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 05:14 AM   #2158
Jackass18
The Iron Price
 
Jackass18's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Carcosa
Posts: 12,736
Default Re: MMA Discussion/News thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by pauk
Look, i have been watching this "sport" probably earlier than anybody here (and am a longtime martial artist myself, TKD 1st dan, muay thai and a bit of bjj, if that means anything) and i can tell you right now that GSP is the most perfect & well rounded MMA "fighter" ive seen in my life and this i have been saying since the first time i saw him in 2002 (due to potential)... he has absolutely unmatched wrestling (like literally nobody ive seen before in MMA) and his striking can only be matched by Anderson Silva, which brings me to my point.... Anderson Silva will NEVER win against GSP if they decide to fight, i beg you please dont believe otherwise.... he will have as much of a chance against GSP as any of the best strikers GSP ever had to face.... he will fall to the same fate & outcome all of GSPs opponents did, which is GSPs bizarre wrestling....

You see, wrestling is and always will be the best & most important facit of MMA (or in any general no-rule-brawl bar bareknuckle man to man fighting outside your house with a stranger).... Being a superiour wrestler means that YOU control where the fight is gona go... now combine that with the absolute best striking, brazilian jiu jitsu, work ethic, will, heart, IQ and you get GSP............... The way Anderson Silva has mastered striking is the way GSP has mastered everything else (including striking)....

In fights, GSP will attack you anywhere 24-7... he is not afraid of anything... however Anderson Silva is afraid of going to the ground, he avoids going to the ground because not just because his wrestling is his weakness but because he is afraid of even being on top and counteracting submission attacks (its a gamble he doesnt like to take and he is much more dominant standing anyways)...

Anderson Silva is the best striker in UFC (so is GSP) and that is basically the only thing that is keeping him dominant in his very low competitive weightclass (which is very overwhelming against any of his those opponents in his weightclass), but he has HORRIBLE wrestling... the only wrestler he ever faced was Chael Sonnen and he was ragdolling Silva like he was a 8 year old girl, almost winning if it wasnt for that lucky triangle he pulled at the last second... now... imagine Sonnen with even better wrestling and equal striking to Silva and even better BJJ... that is GSP...

Silva later improved his takedown defense strategy in his last fight against Sonnen, but that wont work against GSP that well..... neither will Silvas striking work against GSP the way he wants it........ neither will anything else.......

GSP is the best fighter in MMA today... and the best / most complete ever...

Anderson Silva is great and is probably the most entertaining guy to watch for majority of fans due to his striking & striking only & flashiness, but he is overrated when he is called better than GSP........ hell, i think even Jon Jones is probably better fighter than Anderson Silva, for the same exact reasons GSP is better than Anderson Silva... dont get fooled by Anderson Silvas flashiness... he wouldnt touch that championship belt if he had to face something like GSP or yes probably even Jon Jones...

The **** is this nonsense?
Jackass18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 05:31 AM   #2159
Jackass18
The Iron Price
 
Jackass18's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Carcosa
Posts: 12,736
Default Re: MMA Discussion/News thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by raiderfan19
As for lhw vs ww, exciting isn't the same thing as better.

Ill take jones/Hendo/machida/rua/rashad over the top 5 in any other weight class and then you have the up and comers in Davis, glover and gustaffson plus solid old guys in lil nog/Forrest/page among others. That's a great 11 people and you still have guys like bader lurking on the fringe. Jones being an animal doesn't diminish that division

LW and WW are better. Better top 10s and more depth.
Jackass18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 09:26 AM   #2160
raiderfan19
Shazam!
 
raiderfan19's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 6,108
Default Re: MMA Discussion/News thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackass18
LW and WW are better. Better top 10s and more depth.
I don't agree(and I don't think depth after the top ten matters much) I really think the only lhw is being considered less impressive right now is because of how good jones is...
raiderfan19 is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by:
Reply


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 09:18 PM.




NBA Basketball Forum Key Links:
InsideHoops Home
NBA Rumors
Basketball Blog
NBA Daily Recaps
NBA Videos
Fantasy Basketball
NBA Mock Draft
NBA Free Agents
All-Star Weekend
---
High School Basketball
Streetball
---
InsideHoops Twitter
Search Our Site















Powered by vBulletin Version 3.5.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2016, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd. Terms of Use/Service | Privacy Policy