Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Off the Court Lounge

Off the Court Lounge Basketball fans talk about everything EXCEPT basketball here

Old 11-18-2012, 01:52 AM   #2311
blacknapalm
spider 3 y banana

blacknapalm has an incredible reputation hereblacknapalm has an incredible reputation hereblacknapalm has an incredible reputation hereblacknapalm has an incredible reputation hereblacknapalm has an incredible reputation hereblacknapalm has an incredible reputation hereblacknapalm has an incredible reputation hereblacknapalm has an incredible reputation here
Default Re: MMA Discussion/News thread

it's hard for me to see gsp get anything other than a decision win over silva. the likelihood of that happening is also hard for me to see.silva's chin is just ironclad. it's much easier for me to see silva win with a KO or sub.

then again, i was huge on kampmann tonight. maybe his striking is overrated but damn, i think his bigger issue tonight was his defense. hands down, little head movement, not switching up stances = no bueno.

silva's takedown defense is still really good even if he struggles w/ wrestlers the most. his hips and knees should stuff a takedown or two and off his back, i don't think gsp gets into half guard as easily. in the end, i just think silva is much bigger naturally and it would show on fight night.

i'd look forward to just about any matchup though. hendricks? will be interesting for sure. diaz? say what you want about him but almost all his fights are entertaining. the build up would write itself. i know diaz is out of the running for now but any of those three fights is fine by me.

Last edited by blacknapalm : 11-18-2012 at 01:56 AM.
blacknapalm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 02:13 AM   #2312
ClutchOver9000
#Knickstape

ClutchOver9000 has an incredible reputation hereClutchOver9000 has an incredible reputation hereClutchOver9000 has an incredible reputation hereClutchOver9000 has an incredible reputation hereClutchOver9000 has an incredible reputation hereClutchOver9000 has an incredible reputation here

Quote:
Originally Posted by gigantes
GSP should have no trouble taking silva down, so i can't agree. not that i think his chances are better... silva is too gifted not to have the edge IMO.

Silva's reflexes are on another level, he is too gifted a striker, too strong and too big for GSP. Not to forget mentioning that he has a spectacular chin.

But you are right, I can't say GSP has no chance but rather a slim chance. GSP would take Anderson down, might even dominate for a couple rounds but it'd be a matter of time 'till either Silva tagged him or locked in a sub and that'd be all she wrote.
ClutchOver9000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 02:56 PM   #2313
gigantes
A piece of fluff

gigantes is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegigantes is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegigantes is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegigantes is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegigantes is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegigantes is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegigantes is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegigantes is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegigantes is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegigantes is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegigantes is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

mostly agree, but i can at least see a path to victory for GSP.

i'm just glad to see a lot of online MMA followers be so negative about the fight. IMO it's an unequal matchup that will prove nothing at the catchweight it's fought at, will create further delays in two divisions, and whose only real point is to funnel large amounts of money from very casual fans towards those at the top. i certainly hope GSP calls it for the bullshit that it is... just that i have a sinking feeling that he'll give in in the end.

by contrast, an actual legit matchup that needs to be worked out ASAP is the rousey-cyborg match. DFW, if he had an ounce of integrity, should make that fight a condition for a women's division being opened in the UFC. or at least something along those lines... you know.
gigantes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 04:10 PM   #2314
Jackass18
The Iron Price

Jackass18 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJackass18 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJackass18 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJackass18 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJackass18 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJackass18 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJackass18 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJackass18 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJackass18 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJackass18 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJackass18 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:
Originally Posted by blacknapalm
it's hard for me to see gsp get anything other than a decision win over silva. the likelihood of that happening is also hard for me to see.silva's chin is just ironclad. it's much easier for me to see silva win with a KO or sub.

then again, i was huge on kampmann tonight. maybe his striking is overrated but damn, i think his bigger issue tonight was his defense. hands down, little head movement, not switching up stances = no bueno.

silva's takedown defense is still really good even if he struggles w/ wrestlers the most. his hips and knees should stuff a takedown or two and off his back, i don't think gsp gets into half guard as easily. in the end, i just think silva is much bigger naturally and it would show on fight night.

i'd look forward to just about any matchup though. hendricks? will be interesting for sure. diaz? say what you want about him but almost all his fights are entertaining. the build up would write itself. i know diaz is out of the running for now but any of those three fights is fine by me.

Why Diaz? Losing to Condit means you earn a title shot? Not to mention he got suspended, then threw a hissyfit and retired. If he were to get a title shot ahead of Hendricks then the sport would lose all credibility.
Jackass18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 04:39 PM   #2315
jaydacris
Rose

jaydacris is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablejaydacris is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablejaydacris is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablejaydacris is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablejaydacris is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablejaydacris is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablejaydacris is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablejaydacris is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablejaydacris is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablejaydacris is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablejaydacris is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

just let diaz and koscheck fight each other. they both said they want to fight each other. and their mouths will promote the fight

both of them dont deserve any sort of fight that is near title contending. and the fight is great, because the loser will be knocked pretty far down the WW totem pole.
jaydacris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 04:48 PM   #2316
gigantes
A piece of fluff

gigantes is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegigantes is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegigantes is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegigantes is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegigantes is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegigantes is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegigantes is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegigantes is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegigantes is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegigantes is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegigantes is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

i'd love to see diaz take on hendricks or condit again. especially if condit decided to go to war with him and beat his ass down this time. OTOH, diaz is an amazing fighter, and it would also be cool to see him pull the upset against either of them.

either of those would be a nice consolation prize for me if GSP - silva goes down. nick is eligible again in february IIRC.

thank god WW has so much going on these days considering how close MW and LHW are too being total farces these days...
Old 11-18-2012, 06:40 PM   #2317
ClutchOver9000
#Knickstape

ClutchOver9000 has an incredible reputation hereClutchOver9000 has an incredible reputation hereClutchOver9000 has an incredible reputation hereClutchOver9000 has an incredible reputation hereClutchOver9000 has an incredible reputation hereClutchOver9000 has an incredible reputation here

Quote:
by contrast, an actual legit matchup that needs to be worked out ASAP is the rousey-cyborg match. DFW, if he had an ounce of integrity, should make that fight a condition for a women's division being opened in the UFC. or at least something along those lines... you know.

iirc, its a weight issue preventing that fight from taking place. Cyborg wants Rousey at 145 (the now defunct division that Cyborg was champ in and that Rousey previously fought at) and Rousey said she'll only take that fight at 135 (the division in which she is currently champion).
Old 11-18-2012, 06:52 PM   #2318
raiderfan19
Shazam!

raiderfan19 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterraiderfan19 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterraiderfan19 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterraiderfan19 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterraiderfan19 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterraiderfan19 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterraiderfan19 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterraiderfan19 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterraiderfan19 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterraiderfan19 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Quote:
i'd love to see diaz take on hendricks or condit again. especially if condit decided to go to war with him and beat his ass down this time. OTOH, diaz is an amazing fighter, and it would also be cool to see him pull the upset against either of them.

either of those would be a nice consolation prize for me if GSP - silva goes down. nick is eligible again in february IIRC.

thank god WW has so much going on these days considering how close MW and LHW are too being total farces these days...
Lhw is the best division in the sport. Jones is just too damn good
raiderfan19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 07:51 PM   #2319
Jackass18
The Iron Price

Jackass18 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJackass18 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJackass18 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJackass18 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJackass18 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJackass18 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJackass18 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJackass18 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJackass18 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJackass18 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJackass18 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClutchOver9000
iirc, its a weight issue preventing that fight from taking place. Cyborg wants Rousey at 145 (the now defunct division that Cyborg was champ in and that Rousey previously fought at) and Rousey said she'll only take that fight at 135 (the division in which she is currently champion).

Cyborg's cardiologist told her that she couldn't cut to 135
Jackass18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 08:47 PM   #2320
pauk
NBA Legend

pauk has a near all-star reputation herepauk has a near all-star reputation herepauk has a near all-star reputation herepauk has a near all-star reputation herepauk has a near all-star reputation herepauk has a near all-star reputation here

Look, i have been watching this "sport" probably earlier than anybody here (and am a longtime martial artist myself, TKD 1st dan, muay thai and a bit of bjj, if that means anything) and i can tell you right now that GSP is the most perfect & well rounded MMA "fighter" ive seen in my life and this i have been saying since the first time i saw him in 2002 (due to potential)... he has absolutely unmatched wrestling (like literally nobody ive seen before in MMA) and his striking can only be matched by Anderson Silva, which brings me to my point.... Anderson Silva will NEVER win against GSP if they decide to fight, i beg you please dont believe otherwise.... he will have as much of a chance against GSP as any of the best strikers GSP ever had to face.... he will fall to the same fate & outcome all of GSPs opponents did, which is GSPs bizarre wrestling....

You see, wrestling is and always will be the best & most important facit of MMA (or in any general no-rule-brawl bar bareknuckle man to man fighting outside your house with a stranger).... Being a superiour wrestler means that YOU control where the fight is gona go... now combine that with the absolute best striking, brazilian jiu jitsu, work ethic, will, heart, IQ and you get GSP............... The way Anderson Silva has mastered striking is the way GSP has mastered everything else (including striking)....

In fights, GSP will attack you anywhere 24-7... he is not afraid of anything... however Anderson Silva is afraid of going to the ground, he avoids going to the ground because not just because his wrestling is his weakness but because he is afraid of even being on top and counteracting submission attacks (its a gamble he doesnt like to take and he is much more dominant standing anyways)...

Anderson Silva is the best striker in UFC (so is GSP) and that is basically the only thing that is keeping him dominant in his very low competitive weightclass (which is very overwhelming against any of his those opponents in his weightclass), but he has HORRIBLE wrestling... the only wrestler he ever faced was Chael Sonnen and he was ragdolling Silva like he was a 8 year old girl, almost winning if it wasnt for that lucky triangle he pulled at the last second... now... imagine Sonnen with even better wrestling and equal striking to Silva and even better BJJ... that is GSP...

Silva later improved his takedown defense strategy in his last fight against Sonnen, but that wont work against GSP that well..... neither will Silvas striking work against GSP the way he wants it........ neither will anything else.......

GSP is the best fighter in MMA today... and the best / most complete ever...

Anderson Silva is great and is probably the most entertaining guy to watch for majority of fans due to his striking & striking only & flashiness, but he is overrated when he is called better than GSP........ hell, i think even Jon Jones is probably better fighter than Anderson Silva, for the same exact reasons GSP is better than Anderson Silva... dont get fooled by Anderson Silvas flashiness... he wouldnt touch that championship belt if he had to face something like GSP or yes probably even Jon Jones...

Last edited by pauk : 11-18-2012 at 08:58 PM.
pauk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 09:02 PM   #2321
ClutchOver9000
#Knickstape

Quote:
Originally Posted by pauk
Look, i have been watching this "sport" probably earlier than anybody here (and am a longtime martial artist myself, TKD 1st dan, muay thai and a bit of bjj, if that means anything) and i can tell you right now that GSP is the most perfect & well rounded MMA "fighter" ive seen in my life and this i have been saying since the first time i saw him in 2002 (due to potential)... he has absolutely unmatched wrestling (like literally nobody ive seen before in MMA) and his striking can only be matched by Anderson Silva, which brings me to my point.... Anderson Silva will NEVER win against GSP if they decide to fight, i beg you please dont believe otherwise.... he will have as much of a chance against GSP as any of the best strikers GSP ever had to face.... he will fall to the same fate & outcome all of GSPs opponents did, which is GSPs bizarre wrestling....

You see, wrestling is and always will be the best & most important facit of MMA (or in any general no-rule-brawl bar bareknuckle man to man fighting outside your house with a stranger).... Being a superiour wrestler means that YOU control where the fight is gona go... now combine that with the absolute best striking, brazilian jiu jitsu, work ethic, will, heart, IQ and you get GSP............... The way Anderson Silva has mastered striking is the way GSP has mastered everything else (including striking)....

In fights, GSP will attack you anywhere 24-7... he is not afraid of anything... however Anderson Silva is afraid of going to the ground, he avoids going to the ground because not just because his wrestling is his weakness but because he is afraid of even being on top and counteracting submission attacks (its a gamble he doesnt like to take and he is much more dominant standing anyways)...

Anderson Silva is the best striker in UFC (so is GSP) and that is basically the only thing that is keeping him dominant in his very low competitive weightclass (which is very overwhelming against any of his those opponents in his weightclass), but he has HORRIBLE wrestling... the only wrestler he ever faced was Chael Sonnen and he was ragdolling Silva like he was a 8 year old girl, almost winning if it wasnt for that lucky triangle he pulled at the last second... now... imagine Sonnen with even better wrestling and equal striking to Silva and even better BJJ... that is GSP...

Silva later improved his takedown defense strategy in his last fight against Sonnen, but that wont work against GSP that well..... neither will Silvas striking work against GSP the way he wants it........ neither will anything else.......

Anderson Silva is great and is probably the most entertaining guy to watch for majority of fans due to his striking & striking only & flashiness, but he is overrated when he is called better than GSP........ hell, i think even Jon Jones is probably better fighter than Anderson Silva, for the same exact reasons GSP is better than Anderson Silva... dont get fooled by Anderson Silvas flashiness... he wouldnt touch that championship belt if he had to face something like GSP or yes probably even Jon Jones...

pauk gonna pauk
Old 11-18-2012, 10:02 PM   #2322
gigantes
A piece of fluff

Quote:
i know all the official explanations and storylines, thank you very much. fact is, ronda rousey has competed quite often as a judoka at 145 and i see no good reason why she can't fight there again on this important occasion.

fact is, i see no good reason why rousey can't hold belts in the two main divisions of WMMA.

if ronda and her manager were really so hyperconcerned about cyborg cheating, they could push for VADA testing at every step and clear up the whole matter.

in the end, their words and behavior says to me that they lack confidence and keep looking for an edge. they keep trying to win a war of words, resist all compromise, and thus the danger keeps getting pushed away. meanwhile, the sport goes nowhere.

Quote:
Originally Posted by raiderfan19
Lhw is the best division in the sport. Jones is just too damn good
i don't disagree about jones, but at the end of the day it makes for a sorry division at the top level. compare that to WW where the top 3-4 contenders all have realistic chances to upset GSP and take over the belt. thus, i'd rather watch a top WW match any day because the excitement and unpredictability is that much greater. simple fact of reality.
Old 11-18-2012, 10:46 PM   #2323
ClutchOver9000
#Knickstape

Quote:
i know all the official explanations and storylines, thank you very much. fact is, ronda rousey has competed quite often as a judoka at 145 and i see no good reason why she can't fight there again on this important occasion.

fact is, i see no good reason why rousey can't hold belts in the two main divisions of WMMA.

if ronda and her manager were really so hyperconcerned about cyborg cheating, they could push for VADA testing at every step and clear up the whole matter.

in the end, their words and behavior says to me that they lack confidence and keep looking for an edge. they keep trying to win a war of words, resist all compromise, and thus the danger keeps getting pushed away. meanwhile, the sport goes nowhere.

I actually agree w/ you, I was simply stating what the "stalemate" was. IMO Rousey is very much worried when it comes to Cyborg. She'll never admit it but it comes off that way.
Old 11-18-2012, 10:47 PM   #2324
AlphaWolf24
Bringer of Rain

AlphaWolf24 has decent reputationAlphaWolf24 has decent reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by pauk

You have been watching longer then anyone?? ....

whatever TUF Newb

GSP is great.....but the GOAT doesn't tap to strikes...

and wrestling isn't the best base....maybe a great base for the "UFC" Rules/scoring make believe points for takedowns.......but not for for real Vale Tudo

Last edited by AlphaWolf24 : 11-18-2012 at 10:50 PM.
AlphaWolf24 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 10:51 PM   #2325
gigantes
A piece of fluff

Quote:
I actually agree w/ you, I was simply stating what the "stalemate" was. IMO Rousey is very much worried when it comes to Cyborg. She'll never admit it but it comes off that way.
totally agree, and pardon me if i was preaching to the choir.
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: