Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Off the Court Lounge

Off the Court Lounge Basketball fans talk about everything EXCEPT basketball here

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 12-30-2012, 02:03 AM   #2656
gigantes
‪ ‪
 
gigantes's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 9,832
Default Re: MMA Discussion/News thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Graviton
At least now we know Overeem probably would have merked JDS.
Don't be ridiculous. JDS' quick boxing would be a nightmare for overeem.
gigantes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 02:09 AM   #2657
Graviton
The Lost Ninja Turtle
 
Graviton's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 3,388
Default Re: MMA Discussion/News thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by gigantes
Don't be ridiculous. JDS' quick boxing would be a nightmare for overeem.
Same JDS that was outstruck by a wrestler?

Overeem's striking involves kicks/knees along with punches, he is the more dangerous guy standing. JDS's boxing alone won't be a nightmare for a K-1 champ, especially when he doesn't have to worry about takedowns or the ground game of JDS. When this fight happens next year, you will see the difference between their striking game.
Graviton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 02:16 AM   #2658
DropStep
Good High School Starter
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 947
Default Re: MMA Discussion/News thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Graviton
Same JDS that was outstruck by a wrestler?

Overeem's striking involves kicks/knees along with punches, he is the more dangerous guy standing. JDS's boxing alone won't be a nightmare for a K-1 champ, especially when he doesn't have to worry about takedowns or the ground game of JDS. When this fight happens next year, you will see the difference between their striking game.
Its not that simple.
Cain's pace of takedowns is what opened JDS up to strikes. He had to lower his hands to defend the constant threat of takedown. The same would happen to Overeem if Cain fought the way he fought tonight. In the first fight Cain didnt show any real threat of the takedown which he why he got KTFO.

JDS vs Overeem would be more of a straight forward stand up battle.

Last edited by DropStep : 12-30-2012 at 02:18 AM.
DropStep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 02:16 AM   #2659
gigantes
‪ ‪
 
gigantes's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 9,832
Default Re: MMA Discussion/News thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Graviton
Same JDS that was outstruck by a wrestler?

Overeem's striking involves kicks/knees along with punches, he is the more dangerous guy standing. JDS's boxing alone won't be a nightmare for a K-1 champ, especially when he doesn't have to worry about takedowns or the ground game of JDS. When this fight happens next year, you will see the difference between their striking game.
he was outstruck by a wrestler because he fought a defensive gameplan. a relentless wrestler that's the #1 HW in the world. that must be recognised.

junior's dealt with plenty of other wrestlers in the past and destroyed them.

overeem is fairly slow and lumbering in his movement, while JDS has the best in-and-out movement in the game. he wouldn't stand there and try to trade with overeem, he would make select shots and counters and pick him apart over the course of the fight. even werdum, a much inferior striker to JDS, was too quick and effective for overeem.

and no way -- NO WAY -- would overeem be able to keep JDS on the ground.
gigantes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 02:23 AM   #2660
Graviton
The Lost Ninja Turtle
 
Graviton's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 3,388
Default Re: MMA Discussion/News thread

Idk what Dana's plan is right now, he may not want to make a 3rd fight after that domination. After Overeem handles Bigfoot, he may get a title shot or a fight with JDS for the #1 contender match.

Either way, I don't think he will get knocked out like in his LHW days, it will be a classic kickboxer vs boxer match up. If Alistair uses his kicks and controls the distance wisely, I got him winning by decision, especially if JDS shows up in the same shape he did today. It will be a close fight imo.
Graviton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 02:29 AM   #2661
gigantes
‪ ‪
 
gigantes's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 9,832
Default Re: MMA Discussion/News thread

JDS - overeem would be a great #1 contender's match. everyone wants to see it, either way. fascinating fight IMO.


only thing is, cain will probably need to fight someone in the meantime unless he reaggravated one of his injuries tonight.
gigantes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 02:31 AM   #2662
Graviton
The Lost Ninja Turtle
 
Graviton's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 3,388
Default Re: MMA Discussion/News thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by gigantes
JDS - overeem would be a great #1 contender's match. everyone wants to see it, either way. fascinating fight IMO.


only thing is, cain will probably need to fight someone in the meantime unless he reaggravated one of his injuries tonight.
Feed Werdum to Cain, lets see his sub defense lol.

I guess Cormier is moving down now, him vs Jones would be amazing. He may be the only guy that could put him on his back, but he will also be the smallest guy Jones has ever fought. Biggest reach/height advantage, even worse than vs Rashad.
Graviton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 02:33 AM   #2663
DropStep
Good High School Starter
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 947
Default Re: MMA Discussion/News thread

I think Cain vs Werdum would be a interesting matchup. Werdum would welcome the ground game with open arms. Werdum is also turning into a scrappy striker thanks to his reach.
DropStep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 02:35 AM   #2664
gigantes
‪ ‪
 
gigantes's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 9,832
Default Re: MMA Discussion/News thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Graviton
I guess Cormier is moving down now, him vs Jones would be amazing. He may be the only guy that could put him on his back, but he will also be the smallest guy Jones has ever fought. Biggest reach/height advantage, even worse than vs Rashad.
that would be a great fight.

DC's small, but he's built like a truck. he's also quick as a cat, with excellent reaction times. if anybody could catch JJ with a big shot, i think he could.

he also counters his lack of height very nicely with his patience, waiting for his tall opponents to give him that one little opening he needs.
gigantes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 02:43 AM   #2665
Graviton
The Lost Ninja Turtle
 
Graviton's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 3,388
Default Re: MMA Discussion/News thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by gigantes
that would be a great fight.

DC's small, but he's built like a truck. he's also quick as a cat, with excellent reaction times. if anybody could catch JJ with a big shot, i think he could.

he also counters his lack of height very nicely with his patience, waiting for his tall opponents to give him that one little opening he needs.
Too bad Jones does the same lol, he waits til you get overaggressive then take you down and elbow your face. He also uses those thigh/knee kicks well to pick apart his opponents long with punches from across the cage.

This guy breaks down every stars striking game extremely well, including the holes in their style.

http://www.bloodyelbow.com/2012/9/14...-jones-UFC-152
Graviton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 02:56 AM   #2666
gigantes
‪ ‪
 
gigantes's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 9,832
Default Re: MMA Discussion/News thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Graviton
Too bad Jones does the same lol, he waits til you get overaggressive then take you down and elbow your face. He also uses those thigh/knee kicks well to pick apart his opponents long with punches from across the cage.
truth. jon jones is amazing himself, no question.

i definitely give jones the edge... just that cormier has some possibilities.


Quote:
This guy breaks down every stars striking game extremely well, including the holes in their style.

http://www.bloodyelbow.com/2012/9/14...-jones-UFC-152
yea, that's "jack slack," MMA journalist. i've posted some his breakdowns in the past, like just yesterday.

but yea, his breakdowns are awesome.
gigantes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 02:59 AM   #2667
$LakerGold
|Ronda☆Mir|
 
$LakerGold's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: ☆Lakers Forum☆
Posts: 4,752
Default Re: MMA Discussion/News thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by gigantes
Don't be ridiculous. JDS' quick boxing would be a nightmare for overeem.

Don't forget that Overeem was a K1 Champion. No way in hell you could say JDS would beat him in a striking match.

C'mon.
$LakerGold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 04:05 AM   #2668
Jackass18
The Iron Price
 
Jackass18's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Carcosa
Posts: 13,892
Default Re: MMA Discussion/News thread

I was wondering WTF Cain was doing in the first round with all those terrible takedown attempts, but it all worked out very nicely for him. JDS looked awfully lost like he wasn't prepared at all. Maybe he was way too overconfident? In any case, that should serve as some really good experience for him. Cain was rather impressive aside from completely lacking a killer instinct. JDS could barely keep his hands up and yet Cain chose to smother him in the cage or to take him down and let him get back up.
Jackass18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 04:09 AM   #2669
Jackass18
The Iron Price
 
Jackass18's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Carcosa
Posts: 13,892
Default Re: MMA Discussion/News thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by gigantes
Don't be ridiculous. JDS' quick boxing would be a nightmare for overeem.

Overeem fought better and faster strikers in K-1. JDS's striking defense was a nightmare...

Quote:
even werdum, a much inferior striker to JDS, was too quick and effective for overeem.

Umm, what? Werdum flopped to the ground every single time Overeem went to strike. Also, Werdum is a rather underrated striker. How can you take anything from that fight and apply it to a JDS/Overeem fight? JDS wouldn't flop every time Overeem tried to do anything and Overeem wouldn't be anywhere near as worried about JDS's ground game as he was of Werdum's.
Jackass18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 04:16 AM   #2670
jaydacris
BTE One Hit Wonder
 
jaydacris's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Behind you
Posts: 14,641
Default Re: MMA Discussion/News thread



Last edited by jaydacris : 12-30-2012 at 04:19 AM.
jaydacris is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by:
Reply


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 05:28 PM.




NBA Basketball Forum Key Links:
InsideHoops Home
NBA Rumors
Basketball Blog
NBA Daily Recaps
NBA Videos
Fantasy Basketball
NBA Mock Draft
NBA Free Agents
All-Star Weekend
---
High School Basketball
Streetball
---
InsideHoops Twitter
Search Our Site













Powered by vBulletin Version 3.5.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd. Terms of Use/Service | Privacy Policy