Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Off the Court Lounge

Off the Court Lounge Basketball fans talk about everything EXCEPT basketball here

Old 12-30-2012, 04:22 AM   #2671
JerryWest
KD = da bess

Default Re: MMA Discussion/News thread

^
JerryWest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 04:55 AM   #2672
Graviton
The Lost Ninja Turtle

From Sherdog lol.

Graviton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 05:16 AM   #2673
Graviton
The Lost Ninja Turtle

This is what ****ed JDS up, but still neither guy really looked in top form. For some reason most of the fighters on the main card just looked tired and gassed quickly.

JDS in the hospital. Holy sheet.

Last edited by Graviton : 12-30-2012 at 05:41 AM.
Graviton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 11:35 AM   #2674
andremiller07
#Quincy Acy Bandwagon

Great work by Cain but damn did JDS go to a witch doctor and replace his stamina with current Shogun's or something he gassed quick as. That seriously looked like Shogun (past his prime obv) with the horrible cardio and sloppy as hell boxing and Cain just went Deigo Sanchez mode on him. Man if Diego Sanchez was a natural HW my god would I want to see him vs Cain.

Miller vs Lauzon was easily the best fight but for the rest of the fights my god that card was trash, most of the prelim sucked to even the main event imo while exciting they both looked like crap.

Imo scrap the garbage fight between Bigfoot/Reem thats a quick brutal KO and a pointless fight just make Reem vs Cain.

Last edited by andremiller07 : 12-30-2012 at 11:41 AM.
andremiller07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 12:49 PM   #2675
pauk
NBA Legend

Always knew Dos Santos win over Velasquez was a fluke, he got caught (and that can happen to anybody with 4 oz gloves), couldnt wait for a rematch

Last edited by pauk : 12-30-2012 at 12:53 PM.
pauk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 02:22 PM   #2676
gigantes
‪ ‪

Quote:
Originally Posted by pauk
Always knew Dos Santos win over Velasquez was a fluke, he got caught (and that can happen to anybody with 4 oz gloves), couldnt wait for a rematch
maybe it also goes to show how many MMA fans know almost nothing about fighting. if you've ever gotten your ears boxed (like the double cup-hand that a mean sibling might do to you) you know how dreadful that can be for your balance. cain got caught right in the ear hole in the first fight, his balance got temporarily borked, and he immediately put one hand down to balance himself. then junior swarmed, of course. yet people talked about it as if he KO'd by one punch.

no, cain showed last night that he can walk through plenty of junior's punches if they hit him in the usual places, like his jaw and body. but maybe JDS should go for the ear hole again in their eventual third fight...

but i do think that junior has real paths to victory in a third fight. specifically, his TDD is amazing, but he might be overplaying it to some extent. he probably doesn't need to drop his hands in future, because if he gets taken down, he can almost always get right back up, anyway. and without those lowered hands, cain has a harder time finding his jaw again.

the other thing he might do is, instead of expending all that energy doing the one-legged hop to the fence and scrambling up when taken down, why not concede certain guard positions and use his BJJ like a nog or a werdum? get comfortable off that back and get dangerous with the submissions. he's certainly got the teachers, so the training and confidence is up to him. less worries = less nervousness = less energy wasted.

Quote:
Originally Posted by andremiller07
Great work by Cain but damn did JDS go to a witch doctor and replace his stamina with current Shogun's or something he gassed quick as. That seriously looked like Shogun (past his prime obv) with the horrible cardio and sloppy as hell boxing and Cain just went Deigo Sanchez mode on him.
i fell into the same mistake of thinking like that, then i realised based on the good sense comment that someone made at sherdog (at sherdog!!), that defending against a frenzied attacker and extricating yourself from relentless takedown attempts is extremely tiring work, even after only a couple minutes. like, more tiring than bashing roy nelson's face for three rounds, apparently.

same reason why cain got so tired, as well. when cain velasquez gets tired, you KNOW he's expending huge amounts of energy!

anyway, this was my favorite pic:

BAM!
gigantes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 02:36 PM   #2677
Styles p
NBA rookie of the year

so... Lugz still exist?
Styles p is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 02:38 PM   #2678
gigantes
‪ ‪

actually, maybe there's something to JDS being too built for this fight and having less of a gas tank this time around:
http://www.mmamania.com/2012/12/30/3...cain-velasquez

even on the crappy feeds i was watching last night, he did seem to have a little slower reaction times right from the start.
Old 12-30-2012, 02:39 PM   #2679
pauk
NBA Legend

@Gigantes, i didnt say he got knocked out... i said he got caught and you explained perfectly well how he get caught... i agree with the rest of your post
pauk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 02:44 PM   #2680
DropStep
Good High School Starter

He should of spent less energy trying to stay on his fight. JDS is supposed to be a blackbelt on the ground. He should of changed his gameplan to conserve his energy if Cain is firing off so many takedowns.

I cant wait to see part 3 of this fight.
DropStep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 03:21 PM   #2681
gigantes
‪ ‪

Quote:
Originally Posted by pauk
@Gigantes, i didnt say he got knocked out... i said he got caught and you explained perfectly well how he get caught... i agree with the rest of your post
i should have maybe mentioned that i was riffing on your post, not trying to refute it. so many commenters and posters do the lame "LOL 64 second KO" thing, sounding like they never actually saw the fight or understood what happened.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DropStep
He should of spent less energy trying to stay on his fight. JDS is supposed to be a blackbelt on the ground. He should of changed his gameplan to conserve his energy if Cain is firing off so many takedowns.
and he literally has the best teachers in the world as his BJJ masters. imagine if he was anything close to werdum off his back...
Old 12-30-2012, 07:51 PM   #2682
B-Low
The Love B-Low

Quote:
Originally Posted by gigantes
anyway, this was my favorite pic:

BAM!

Mine

http://img.mixedmartialarts.com/meth...-40-12-725.png
B-Low is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 10:40 PM   #2683
jaydacris
BTE One Hit Wonder

jaydacris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 11:59 PM   #2684
Jackass18
The Iron Price

Quote:
Originally Posted by andremiller07
Miller vs Lauzon was easily the best fight but for the rest of the fights my god that card was trash, most of the prelim sucked to even the main event imo while exciting they both looked like crap.

They were mostly good fights. I think the only one I didn't care for was Leben/Brunson, but that could have just been a case of a decent fighter fighting on short notice against a guy who hadn't fought in over a year. I appreciated seeing Okami neutralize and dominate an opponent who was on a tear and getting close to a title shot.
Jackass18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 12:02 AM   #2685
TheSilentKiller
NBA All-star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackass18
They were mostly good fights. I think the only one I didn't care for was Leben/Brunson, but that could have just been a case of a decent fighter fighting on short notice against a guy who hadn't fought in over a year. I appreciated seeing Okami neutralize and dominate an opponent who was on a tear and getting close to a title shot.
I actually agree with this.

Was hoping JDS could pull out another win but I was fully expecting Cain to win. Never thought he would dominate they way he did though. Those first round punches were damn heavy.
TheSilentKiller is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: