Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Off the Court Lounge

Off the Court Lounge Basketball fans talk about everything EXCEPT basketball here

Old 02-20-2013, 02:54 PM   #2956
jaydacris
Rose

Default Re: MMA Discussion/News thread

Jon Fitch and 15 other fighters cut
jaydacris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 03:00 PM   #2957
gigantes
A piece of fluff

that dickhead volkmann i could see cutting... but jon fitch???

these guys are clearly drunk with power.
gigantes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 03:09 PM   #2958
ClutchOver9000
#Knickstape

This is why fighters need unions. I'm not a Fitch fan in the least but last time I checked the guy is a top 10 WW. Only in the UFC does a top 10 fighter in his weight class get cut coming off one loss.
ClutchOver9000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 04:17 PM   #2959
AlphaWolf24
Bringer of Rain

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClutchOver9000
This is why fighters need unions. I'm not a Fitch fan in the least but last time I checked the guy is a top 10 WW. Only in the UFC does a top 10 fighter in his weight class get cut coming off one loss.

would kill the sport...

Fitch got cut because no one ( outside the hardcore fans like myself) wants to watch him fight.

again....hardcore fans who understand the sport enjoy watching someone like Fitch fight.....but that only makes up 1% of the fanbase.....

In order for the UFC to thrive/exist they need exciting fights that can get the mainstream/casual person to watch....that is complete opposite of Fitch's skillset/mindset...

again..I know Fitch is an elite fighter.....his skillset/minset is to control position and never put himself in a bad spot....even if that means not going for a finish.....most fans hate fights like that.......

- If we had a Fighters union....that's pretty much what all fights would end up bieng like...book it.

- at least now there is pressure for fighters to perform at a high level AND try and finish the fight.......Unions would take pressure off of the Fighters.

- Part of me does like the pressure.....you gonna be a diamond? or a piece of Coal?
AlphaWolf24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 05:14 PM   #2960
gigantes
A piece of fluff

you are so full of shit...
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlphaWolf24
would kill the sport...

Fitch got cut because no one ( outside the hardcore fans like myself) wants to watch him fight.

again....hardcore fans who understand the sport enjoy watching someone like Fitch fight.....but that only makes up 1% of the fanbase.....

In order for the UFC to thrive/exist they need exciting fights that can get the mainstream/casual person to watch....that is complete opposite of Fitch's skillset/mindset...

again..I know Fitch is an elite fighter.....his skillset/minset is to control position and never put himself in a bad spot....even if that means not going for a finish.....most fans hate fights like that.......

- If we had a Fighters union....that's pretty much what all fights would end up bieng like...book it.

- at least now there is pressure for fighters to perform at a high level AND try and finish the fight.......Unions would take pressure off of the Fighters.

- Part of me does like the pressure.....you gonna be a diamond? or a piece of Coal?
...one doesn't even BEGIN to know where to start.

nevermind... carry on, sir.
gigantes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 06:30 PM   #2961
Reef
College star

The only way a union would work is if the big stars like Anderson, GSP, Jones get behind it since they're the biggest attractions and are pretty much irreplaceable.
Reef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 08:05 PM   #2962
Jackass18
The Iron Price

I know he's not the most entertaining fighter, but how in the hell do you cut Fitch? You let Dan Hardy stick around after losing 4 in a row, but you cut Fitch after just 1 loss? Also, I read: "Sources close to the UFC told MMAjunkie.com the UFC plans to release as many as 100 fighters in 2013"
Jackass18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 08:09 PM   #2963
B-Low
The Love B-Low

Damn they cut Vladimir Matyushenko too. I liked his fights...he was a tough vet
B-Low is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 10:05 PM   #2964
raiderfan19
Shazam!

This could/should mean that bellator will take up the old pride spot as a legit 2nd option to UFC.

And the exciting thing is just.... Stupid if you want to be considered a real sport you can't say that you cut people because they aren't exciting even if they are clearly better than others you kept on the roster. You'd never hear a team in the nba, MLB, or nfl cut someone and say yeah he's awesome but he's not entertaining.
raiderfan19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 10:07 PM   #2965
B-Low
The Love B-Low

Quote:
Originally Posted by raiderfan19
And the exciting thing is just.... Stupid if you want to be considered a real sport you can't say that you cut people because they aren't exciting even if they are clearly better than others you kept on the roster. You'd never hear a team in the nba, MLB, or nfl cut someone and say yeah he's awesome but he's not entertaining.

"agreed"
B-Low is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 11:08 PM   #2966
$LakerGold
#TeamMir #TeamRousey

HAHA

"Why is it whenever someone gets cut early by the @UFC, everyone gives me shit? I would have cut me way before @JonFitchdotnet too!" ~Dan Hardy via Twitter"
$LakerGold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 11:09 PM   #2967
$LakerGold
#TeamMir #TeamRousey

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlphaWolf24
would kill the sport...

$LakerGold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 12:38 AM   #2968
Jackass18
The Iron Price

Quote:
Originally Posted by $LakerGold
HAHA

"Why is it whenever someone gets cut early by the @UFC, everyone gives me shit? I would have cut me way before @JonFitchdotnet too!" ~Dan Hardy via Twitter"

Leonard Garcia is a better example nowadays anyway. He's lucky he hasn't lost his last 10-11 fights in a row.

A Ben Askren/Jon Fitch fight could be interesting for Bellator. Some might call it a battle of boring blankets or whatever, but it would be interesting to me.
Jackass18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 01:18 AM   #2969
raiderfan19
Shazam!

I think people overestimate how important everything being a standup war is to the fans. That's ALL k1 is and it's better than anyone in the UFC and hardly anyone watched it.
raiderfan19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 04:13 AM   #2970
Toizumi
veteran savvy

Fitch is a gamer. He comes in with a gameplan and executes it. People may call him boring, but I think it proves how good of a fighter he is. Thing is, he was (from what I've read) overpaid and currently not a contender. This cut gives the UFC to resign him in the future for less money.

I feel bad for the guy. Remember after the Erik Silva fight, in which he was great, how he was talking to his wife at home, saying that he was finally coming home with some money. damn. Your ****in with a man's livelihood and based on his results/skills he did not deserve to be cut. Hope to see him back in the UFC soon.
Toizumi is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: