Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Off the Court Lounge

Off the Court Lounge Basketball fans talk about everything EXCEPT basketball here

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 03-08-2013, 11:46 PM   #3001
B-Low
The Love B-Low
 
B-Low's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Crowned Prince of the OTC
Posts: 15,345
Default Re: MMA Discussion/News thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brujesino
When i think about Basketball i think of people putting a ball in a basket and/or defending other players from putting a ball in a basket.

When i think of fighting i think of two guys trying to beat the shit out of each other not laying on top of each other.

Let's look at some of GSP's last few opponents and see if he doesn't beat the shit out of them








He just goes about it a more strategic way. Let's look at GSP vs Condit and let's look at Diaz vs. Condit.

Diaz sticks to the same "exciting" brawling/boxing/standing gameplan he always uses. Condit avoids him, evades his hits, sticks him and moves. Diaz can't do shit against him and ends up losing the fight because he refused to change his style up.

GSP fights Condit. Takes him down, bloodies him up, just dominates the guy for 5 rounds. They both landed hits on Condit. Difference was GSP used a strategy that didn't allow Condit to run. A guy can't stick you and move if you're holding him down. Nick Diaz lost because he sticks to his same game plan and if that doesn't work he flips out and starts complaining and getting frustrated. That's why he's not as good a fighter as St Pierre.

You said the purpose of basketball is to score and defend, but fighting is about beating someone's ass. There's lots of ways to score. Some exciting like 3 pointers and dunks, some not so exciting like hook shots and bank shots. In fighting there's exciting ways to beat someone's ass (the Wanderlei style) and there's less exciting ways to beat someone's ass (take em down, ground and pound). GSP beats people's asses just fine. He just takes a different route to do it.
B-Low is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 12:01 AM   #3002
Brujesino
Stephen Kerry
 
Brujesino's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: 209
Posts: 16,315
Default Re: MMA Discussion/News thread

Its cool that he dominates his opponents he just doesn it in a really boring manner.

I guess its just me but the whole strategy of winning a fight by not having to fight is pretty stupid.You say its smart to hold someone down i say he is preventing a fight from happening.

Its whatever-Nick Diaz
Brujesino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 12:07 AM   #3003
B-Low
The Love B-Low
 
B-Low's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Crowned Prince of the OTC
Posts: 15,345
Default Re: MMA Discussion/News thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brujesino
Its cool that he dominates his opponents he just doesn it in a really boring manner.

I guess its just me but the whole strategy of winning a fight by not having to fight is pretty stupid.You say its smart to hold someone down i say he is preventing a fight from happening.

Its whatever-Nick Diaz

I mean you can say he's holding them down to prevent a fight from happening. But in reality he's holding them down to keep from getting hit. Again if you compare it to basketball, that's like saying you hate when teams play defense because they're trying to make it a boring/low scoring game. They're playing defense because to win the game you have to stop the other team from scoring, while still managing to score yourself. When you fight, you keep the other guy from hitting you while still managing to hit him, because that's how you win the fight.

Nick Diaz is an all offensive fighter. He's the old school Suns. He throws punches like crazy, but that's it. And just like the old Suns, it makes for some exciting games, but it doesn't win championships. Spurs ball wins championships, just like GSP's style wins him championship fights. Keep the other team from scoring, but score yourself. Keep the other fighter from hitting you, while hitting him yourself. Same plan, different game.
B-Low is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 12:20 AM   #3004
Brujesino
Stephen Kerry
 
Brujesino's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: 209
Posts: 16,315
Default Re: MMA Discussion/News thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by B-Low
I mean you can say he's holding them down to prevent a fight from happening. But in reality he's holding them down to keep from getting hit. Again if you compare it to basketball, that's like saying you hate when teams play defense because they're trying to make it a boring/low scoring game. They're playing defense because to win the game you have to stop the other team from scoring, while still managing to score yourself. When you fight, you keep the other guy from hitting you while still managing to hit him, because that's how you win the fight.

Nick Diaz is an all offensive fighter. He's the old school Suns. He throws punches like crazy, but that's it. And just like the old Suns, it makes for some exciting games, but it doesn't win championships. Spurs ball wins championships, just like GSP's style wins him championship fights. Keep the other team from scoring, but score yourself. Keep the other fighter from hitting you, while hitting him yourself. Same plan, different game.
You cant really compare a non contact sport like basketball to the most contact sport because basketball is basketball.

A fight is a fight in which two people fight.Like fighters.Fighting one on one because they are fighters.Fighting each other to see who the best fighter is so that they can tell other fighters that they can beat them in a fight should they ever fight.Thats what a fighter does, they fight,like fighters.

We have different thoughts of what a fight is.Also i dont give a shit if GSP or Nick is the better fighter because the way the rules are in MMA it doesnt matter, if they had pride rules then we would see who were the best fighters.
Brujesino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 01:20 AM   #3005
gigantes
Tor Johnson.
 
gigantes's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 12,888
Default Re: MMA Discussion/News thread

so is this discussion like separating people truly interested in the science of MMA from those who just like to see a good brawl?


but... i do see one of you currently losing, if i had to call the decision right this moment...
gigantes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 06:20 AM   #3006
andremiller07
#Dre Day in Sac Town
 
andremiller07's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 7,307
Default Re: MMA Discussion/News thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brujesino
We have different thoughts of what a fight is.Also i dont give a shit if GSP or Nick is the better fighter because the way the rules are in MMA it doesnt matter, if they had pride rules then we would see who were the best fighters.

This x1000 repped

I just can't stand it when a fighter gets a take down and than "pretends" to work by throwing weak ass punches that do nothing and little shots to the body just because they don't want to be stood up while the guy from the bottom is doing everything to win by going for submissions & sweeps.

The scoring system is so in favour of wrestlers its unreal, its basically like wrestlers are Kevin Durrant & James Harden getting every f&*king lame call while others get hammered and don't even get a whistle. Imo if the guy on top is not doing anything other than trying to negate/control where the person on the bottom is being aggressive of the bottom looking for subs than that round should go to the person on the bottom.

The whole judging system needs a overhaul it encourages pure athletes to hold on from the top for dare life while weaker/more skilled fighters get killed by judges. Seriously I have seen fights where the guy from the bottom does more damage and still losses since the guy on top "had control". A takedown in the Octogon is almost worth more than life itself.

While I don't really like GSP as a fighter I do however acknowledge hes great at what he does and while I do think Nick Diaz is overall a slightly more skilled fighter, the problem for Diaz in the match up between the two is that GSP is also skilled enough to do very well against Nick but also possess insane athletic ability which just makes his an almost impossible fight @170.

Last edited by andremiller07 : 03-09-2013 at 06:26 AM.
andremiller07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 07:44 AM   #3007
DropStep
Good High School Starter
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 862
Default Re: MMA Discussion/News thread

Most of the UFC champs are exciting. Cain,Jones,Silva,Bendo, Aldo, Barao, even Mighty Mouse. Guys who try to get by just wrestle****ing end up being gatekeepers in the UFC. Which means guys are figuring out ways to beat them.

UFC is content in making guys who wrestle**** climb slowly up the ladder. Guys like Fitch, Guida, are gonna need to win 5+ fights in a row to get anyway near a title shot discussion in the UFC. While more exciting fighters get title shots pretty quickly. Dana White has made it known he wants to cut fighters and lay n pray fighters are at the top of his list.

I never understood Nick Diaz, for a guy who trains mma its puzzling for him to be so immature towards other styles. I get he wants fighters to play into game but he seems to skip the lesson of forcing fighters into your game. Nate Diaz got completely outclassed when he fought Bendo, He just stood there hoping Bendo would come into his range and fight him flat footed. I see the same for Diaz unless he learns how to force GSP into his game.

Last edited by DropStep : 03-09-2013 at 07:46 AM.
DropStep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 09:15 AM   #3008
ErhnamDjinn
“Homo homini lupus est
 
ErhnamDjinn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Lurking in Dominaria
Posts: 2,716
Default Re: MMA Discussion/News thread

as per ariel hellwani, it will be Mark Hunt vs Jds at Ufc 160 not sure how to react but I believe its a risky fight for JDS to take and a big oppurtunity for Hunt
ErhnamDjinn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 09:59 AM   #3009
andremiller07
#Dre Day in Sac Town
 
andremiller07's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 7,307
Default Re: MMA Discussion/News thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by ErhnamDjinn
as per ariel hellwani, it will be Mark Hunt vs Jds at Ufc 160 not sure how to react but I believe its a risky fight for JDS to take and a big oppurtunity for Hunt

True interesting fight no doubt but I would have prefered JDS to wait for Reem and get Hunt to fight someone else. Both have shown good chins, but the speed advantage will go to JDS and the power I don't know tbh I don't know if Mark still has that same power he had in K1 (he can no doubt still smash you in 1 punch). I could see JDS throwing in a couple takedowns to put doubt into Hunts mind but I doubt he will lay n gay him.
andremiller07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 02:45 PM   #3010
Bobcats2013
- Back 2 Back Titles -
 
Bobcats2013's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Seattle
Posts: 2,691
Default Re: MMA Discussion/News thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Macho Man
Mark Hunt in the UFC HW title picture in 2013.

Shows how much the heavyweight division has fallen back to it's 2006 roots.
Bobcats2013 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 08:15 PM   #3011
Jackass18
The Iron Price
 
Jackass18's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Carcosa
Posts: 12,736
Default Re: MMA Discussion/News thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brujesino
We have different thoughts of what a fight is.Also i dont give a shit if GSP or Nick is the better fighter because the way the rules are in MMA it doesnt matter, if they had pride rules then we would see who were the best fighters.

Pride scoring rules wouldn't change the outcome of any GSP fight (well, maybe Penn wins their match up). He absolutely dominates his opponents so what's the relevance for bringing that up?
Jackass18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 08:37 PM   #3012
Jackass18
The Iron Price
 
Jackass18's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Carcosa
Posts: 12,736
Default Re: MMA Discussion/News thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by andremiller07
I just can't stand it when a fighter gets a take down and than "pretends" to work by throwing weak ass punches that do nothing and little shots to the body just because they don't want to be stood up while the guy from the bottom is doing everything to win by going for submissions & sweeps.

I don't think it's as bad as it used to be. If the guy on bottom is constantly going for subs and sweeps while the guy on top isn't really doing anything, then the guy on bottom is more likely to win the round than he would be in the past. Granted, they have to be legit attempts and he has to be outworking the guy on top. I don't think half-assed sub attempts that have 0 chance of doing anything should count that much. You think the guy on top should score big for a weak kimura attempt?

Quote:
The scoring system is so in favour of wrestlers its unreal, its basically like wrestlers are Kevin Durrant & James Harden getting every f&*king lame call while others get hammered and don't even get a whistle.

Well, you could say that's more a problem of the refs. If a ref is very slow to stand them up, then you can't really blame the wrestler too much. There's just so much inconsistency with the refs. One ref will let a guy lay on top while doing nothing for an entire round while another will quickly stand them up even though the guy on top is in side control and landing nice shots.

Quote:
while I do think Nick Diaz is overall a slightly more skilled fighter

Based on what? I don't know how anyone who has watched both fighters can say this. I'm not saying he can't win, but he just hasn't shown that much skill compared to GSP.
Jackass18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 08:44 PM   #3013
AlphaWolf24
Bringer of Rain
 
AlphaWolf24's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 9,445
Default Re: MMA Discussion/News thread

why post pics of Fighters faces...and not post pics of GSP's


vs condit


vs BJ



vs fitch..




- and why are people using Basketball in relation to MMA?....a team sport that you have a definite winner?

-Blake Griffin vs Duncan?.....no GSP is more Like Lebron James not entering the dunk contest because he might lose.

- again..GSP is agreat fighter...he does use take downs and plays it safe so he wont get hit.

Wonderful!!....he doesn't get hit.....Hey Nick .....just stand in your corner and never engage!....throw 1 leg kick and run away for 5 rounds.....you will score more points!!..and win!......some people will say you are smart!


PS: Nick is not a offensive fighter..he just tries to fight..not score points...he is a fighter who uses his Boxing to soften up his opponent/make his opponent desperate....I'm sure if he cared about scoring points/vs winning and being an exciting fighter he could just hang back and jab alittle....maybe go for a submission once in awhile and win.


thank god he doesn't fight like that.

Last edited by AlphaWolf24 : 03-09-2013 at 09:10 PM.
AlphaWolf24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 09:08 PM   #3014
AlphaWolf24
Bringer of Rain
 
AlphaWolf24's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 9,445
Default Re: MMA Discussion/News thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackass18
He got his face rearranged by KJ Noons. He took some big shots from Gomi. He got his ass kicked by Jeremy Jackson, but that was a long time ago.

Before Nick got surgery he got cut easily...KJ noons landed some good shots...was it a azz whoopin?...no...It was stopped because of a cut...

Jeremy Jackson blasted him and won very early in the fight....Nick didn't tap ( like GSP did)




What? The guy who arguably lost to Mike Aina is a better fighter? The guy who doesn't know how to change his style if it isn't working is a better fighter? The guy who has been lost against wrestlers is a better fighter?


change his style?...you mean work on double leg and control position so he doesn't get hit?


What good fighters has Nick finished? Yeah, that's what I thought.


serial?...Lawler,Neer,Tibau,Cybog,Daley,Gomi....

it's been 5 years since GSP finished someone
!@


I really hope GSP doesn't **** up. Nick as champ? I wouldn't know what to say. Maybe the emo would finally learn to cheer up a bit? Crack a smile? I don't know, I just hope it goes like Ben Askren/Karl Amoussou.


emo?....

AlphaWolf24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 09:26 PM   #3015
AlphaWolf24
Bringer of Rain
 
AlphaWolf24's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 9,445
Default Re: MMA Discussion/News thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by gigantes
so is this discussion like separating people truly interested in the science of MMA from those who just like to see a good brawl?


but... i do see one of you currently losing, if i had to call the decision right this moment...


kind of sounds like.....when MMA first started in the states...

Boxing fans would say.." oh MMA/UFC is just brawling, hugging and stupid"...a good boxer would smash a BJJ expert....or MMA fighter"

"Boxing is a science.....MMA fighters just brawl"




- what I'm saying is......we have to top shelf MMA fighters.... go out and try to render the opponent helpless or make him quit.

If that means putting yourself in a position where you may get hit...ok, that's why it's called Fighting.

- I under stand the super technical part...I understand not wanting to take damage.....but the main goal should be...FINISHING...not escaping damage.

- if escaping damage is the main goal....then never go for a takedown.....always circle away......and just jab.

- to me a great "MMA Fighter" is someone who fights with a passion to end the fight ......while using extreme technical skill....
AlphaWolf24 is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by:
Reply


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 02:06 AM.




NBA Basketball Forum Key Links:
InsideHoops Home
NBA Rumors
Basketball Blog
NBA Daily Recaps
NBA Videos
Fantasy Basketball
NBA Mock Draft
NBA Free Agents
All-Star Weekend
---
High School Basketball
Streetball
---
InsideHoops Twitter
Search Our Site















Powered by vBulletin Version 3.5.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2016, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd. Terms of Use/Service | Privacy Policy