Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Off the Court Lounge

Off the Court Lounge Basketball fans talk about everything EXCEPT basketball here

Old 02-24-2013, 02:23 AM   #3061
B-Low
The Love B-Low

Default Re: MMA Discussion/News thread

wow that's shocking I thought for sure Dana would give it to Ronda since he's so damn infatuated with her

Also a funny note about Faber, notice when he chopped his hair off he got his ass whooped last year, then he grows it back and he looks like the old top-contender Urijah? He's got that Sampson thing going
B-Low is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 02:27 AM   #3062
jaydacris
Rose

liz's arm

that choke was tight, ronda's teeth/mouthguard imprinted into her arm
jaydacris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 02:27 AM   #3063
9erempiree
27 yrs of watching NBA

Quote:
Originally Posted by B-Low
wow that's shocking I thought for sure Dana would give it to Ronda since he's so damn infatuated with her

Also a funny note about Faber, notice when he chopped his hair off he got his ass whooped last year, then he grows it back and he looks like the old top-contender Urijah? He's got that Sampson thing going

Is he on Team Alpha Male?

I remember when I was told the name of his team, I thought it was a joke.

I believe his team were known to choke people out.
9erempiree is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 02:37 AM   #3064
B-Low
The Love B-Low

Yeah Alpha Male is usually known for the guillotine. He just switched it up to a different choke tonight
Old 02-24-2013, 02:53 AM   #3065
jaydacris
Rose

Aldo is refusing to fight Pettis... interesting
jaydacris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 03:01 AM   #3066
B-Low
The Love B-Low

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaydacris
Aldo is refusing to fight Pettis... interesting

Oh wow. I mean I kinda dont blame him though. All this weight class jumping for title shots is just getting out of hand. Chael jumps up to LHW and gets a shot. Frankie drops down to FW and gets a shot. Pettis sees that and drops down to FW to butt in line and get a shot instead of taking his LW one. Rashad almost drops to MW and gets an immediate shot. Jones may jump to HW and get a shot.

If UFC is gonna keep this whole "ranking system" thing going, they're gonna have to be more strict with the policy about switching weight classes because it's not fair to the guys in the division that someone from another class can just cut in line and basically put their division on hold for another half a year, so top contenders will have to fight someone else and possibly lose their spot in the pecking order. Pettis beat top LIGHTWEIGHTS to earn a LIGHTWEIGHT title shot. Why should get to automatically fight for the FW belt when he's never fought a single FW? It's not fair to the current contenders. Weight classes exist for a reason
Old 02-24-2013, 04:36 AM   #3067
Patrick Chewing
Cobra Kai Sensei

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClutchOver9000
This girl has WMMA on lock. Only fighter that can dethrone her is Cyborg and that fight's not gonna happen.

Yeah I just read on Sherdog that Cyborg just signed a multi-fight deal with Invicta FC. I think that fight can happen, but not this year. Cyborg is pound for pound the best Women's MMA fighter in my opinion, but it's all up to Dana and Zuffa.
Patrick Chewing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 07:23 AM   #3068
raiderfan19
Shazam!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick Chewing
Yeah I just read on Sherdog that Cyborg just signed a multi-fight deal with Invicta FC. I think that fight can happen, but not this year. Cyborg is pound for pound the best Women's MMA fighter in my opinion, but it's all up to Dana and Zuffa.
Cyborg is roided up though and shouldn't be allowed to fight(nor should reem)

As for the weight class jumping, it depends on the situation. I have no problem with an all time great champ(that distinction seems kinda pointless with how new Mma is) moving up and being given a chance to fight for the title in a higher weight class. Ie I wouldn't mind bones fighting Cain, Andy fighting bones, gsp fighting Andy or aldo fighting bendo but other than that I don't think people should be given immediate title shots unless there is just no one who deserves one(see current 185 position)
raiderfan19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 11:01 AM   #3069
andremiller07
#QuincyAcy Fan

Ok fight card the Hendo/Lyoto fight was a bit on the boring side due to the massive edge in speed Lyoto had. Didn't watch the main event not really a fan of womens combat sports.

Court vs Neer was good, so was one of the prelim fights I can't think of now
andremiller07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 05:43 PM   #3070
Jackass18
The Iron Price

Quote:
Originally Posted by 9erempiree
My stance still stands even though it was the best fight tonight but it was hard to see Rousey's face the way it was. Maybe as I get use to it, I will warm up to it.

Bermudez/Grice was a million times better.

As for Aldo, very odd, I didn't think I'd see Aldo ducking anyone, though maybe there's some other reason (maybe he's trying to get more money?).
Jackass18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 06:13 PM   #3071
B-Low
The Love B-Low

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackass18
Bermudez/Grice was a million times better.

As for Aldo, very odd, I didn't think I'd see Aldo ducking anyone, though maybe there's some other reason (maybe he's trying to get more money?).

He's refusing cuz he said he doesn't feel like Pettis should just be able to come down to his weight class (having never even won a UFC title) and get an immediate title shot. Dana apparently said he's taking the fight or "he won't like how this turns out"

And on another note Dana said after the PPV last night that he's "really close" to cancelling next month's title fight cuz Diaz is still skipping out on Primetime filmings and other press stuff. And now he said Nate is skipping Primetime shootings too. Apparently they've blown over $50,000 in paying film crews to show up and set up for the day only to have to pack up and leave.
Old 02-24-2013, 06:20 PM   #3072
Jackass18
The Iron Price

Quote:
Originally Posted by B-Low
Oh wow. I mean I kinda dont blame him though. All this weight class jumping for title shots is just getting out of hand. Chael jumps up to LHW and gets a shot. Frankie drops down to FW and gets a shot. Pettis sees that and drops down to FW to butt in line and get a shot instead of taking his LW one.

Can you blame Pettis? Waiting for a title shot at LW hasn't worked out too well for him. What if Melendez and Henderson have a draw or a really close fight? Dana seems to love doing rematches at LW. I find it rather odd that Aldo didn't say anything about Edgar, who was on a 2-fight losing streak (losing to a guy that Pettis beat), but has a problem with Pettis? I liked DFW's comment - "I wouldn't want to face Pettis either."

Quote:
Pettis beat top LIGHTWEIGHTS to earn a LIGHTWEIGHT title shot. Why should get to automatically fight for the FW belt when he's never fought a single FW? It's not fair to the current contenders. Weight classes exist for a reason

Fair? Pettis has been screwed out of a title shot. Also, there's a difference between going up a division and getting a title shot and going down a division and getting a title shot. Though, I think Pettis is one of the very few people I don't have a problem with dropping down and getting a title shot in this circumstance.
Old 02-24-2013, 06:46 PM   #3073
Jackass18
The Iron Price

Quote:
Originally Posted by raiderfan19
Cyborg is roided up though and shouldn't be allowed to fight(nor should reem)

That doesn't make any kind of sense to me. If Joe Blow out there makes 1 poor decision in his career, then he shouldn't be allowed to ever fight in the UFC? What about all the guys on TRT? Do they all get a 'Get Out of Jail Free' card? Dana was pissed with Overeem, but then changed his tune after they had a meeting afterwards, which kind of says a lot to me (usually it's not good to be in Dana's doghouse). If you get rid of every guy who has ever been busted for anything, then you're going to be getting rid of quite a number of people and probably a number of people who would surprise you. What about guys who have 'cheated' in some other fashion? Get rid of them too? Does that include GSP even if it wasn't his fault? Nick Diaz? That's considered 'cheating'.

If a person passes his tests, whether it's Cyborg or Josh Barnett or anyone else, then they should be able to fight. You can't just deny someone because of something they did in the past. You can't just assume they're still on it and deny them or else that opens the door for accusations to be made against pretty much every single fighter.
Old 02-24-2013, 06:55 PM   #3074
gigantes
A piece of fluff

aldo - pettis is NOT comparable to sonnen - jones, belfort - jones, the last anderson silva one or even GSP - diaz... or a couple more silly ones i can't remember right now.

because it's a very good pure match-up and great fight for the fans as well. if aldo really truly doesn't like it, he's a lot stranger and more narcissistic than i ever imagined. my impression was always that he's a true pro and a sensible guy, but i've been known to be totally wrong before. :P

anyway, glad i didn't spend the money or time on the fights last night but grateful for internet video. carmouche came through in a HUGE way for the UFC last night, and i hope dana can remove his head from his sphincter for a brief moment and let her know how very grateful he is (or should be).

also interesting to see chiesa persevere and good to see court not get robbed this time.

and henderson should STILL get the next shot against jones IMO. at least, over machida, anyway. SURE he'll get demolished, but jones needs to finish his collection of heads so he can get his ass over to HW, where it will finally get interesting for him. no way is gustafsson ready at this point... that's nothing but fool's gold at the mo.
gigantes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 07:20 PM   #3075
B-Low
The Love B-Low

Quote:
Originally Posted by gigantes
carmouche came through in a HUGE way for the UFC last night, and i hope dana can remove his head from his sphincter for a brief moment and let her know how very grateful he is (or should be).

Yeah he praised the hell out of her at the press conference last night and it sounded like she's gonna be getting a pretty damn big paycheck for this PPV

And as far as Pettis/Aldo, don't get me wrong i definitely want to see the fight, but I can also see how frustrating it must be for the other FW's to have not one but TWO lightweights come down and tie their champ up. I mean Frankie got his shot in January, and Pettis' isn't until August (meaning after that there probably won't be another title match until early 14 depending on how that fight goes). So basically two people from another division (one being Pettis who has already said if he wins that belt, he's gonna go back up to 155 and try to win the LW title too so who knows when he'll want to defend it) have the entire division tied up for well over a year. Leaves the natural FW's trying to figure out when/what fights to take that will leave them available when one of them actually gets a shot.
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: