Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Off the Court Lounge

Off the Court Lounge Basketball fans talk about everything EXCEPT basketball here

Old 03-18-2013, 09:54 AM   #3151
ErhnamDjinn
“Homo homini lupus est

Default Re: MMA Discussion/News thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by andremiller07
Cain vs Bigfoot I was a perfect example of how cuts can ruin a fight (not saying Bigfoot would have won), but that cut on around his nose area just bleed into his eyes and he had to fight literally blind and got masscared for it. That's the only reason why I'm not a big fan of elbows, they are extremely nasty when pulled off tho.

Plus why would a fighter want to win via cut anyway? The fans don't want to see it nor do I think any fighter wants to win via cutting someone it leaves to many questions and we don't know what could have happend.
yup this was exactly the fight I was about to mention that changed the fight, also Kenny Florian specifically gameplanned before to do this and cause cuts, it limits the options of BJJ guys from the bottom. Also take down cant be scored .5 or something because it becomes subjective, I mean what will they define at a takedown with no damage. But I do agree its to easy for wrestlers to score on takedowns, maybe they should also consider submission attempts from the ground of your back in order to balance it out.

I also do believe if there is non advancement of position for a set amount of time maybe 30 seconds its should be a automatic standup.
ErhnamDjinn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 11:23 AM   #3152
pauk
NBA Legend

Thing is this not a sport really, its a real fight, it started that way, they didnt even have gloves or weight limits back in the days, almost no rules... its as real as it legally gets, MMA today is basically a real fight with even more initiated rules to become legal for viewing (and hence making more money), it only looks more like a sport.......

With that being said just like in a real fight wrestling/taking your opponent down is the most powerful/advantageous aspect...... in any random brawl outside with a stranger you will quickly find out that you can be even Bruce Lee standing up and meet a guy who doesnt even know how to punch but if his wrestling is better and especially accompanied with premier BJJ then either you are going to sleep and/or have a broken limb and/or have a screwed face due ground n pound..........

If you want two guys just throwing hands and/or hands&legs at eachother then watch Boxing or Kickboxing... but remember, none of that is anywhere close to real fighting, especially not Boxing....
pauk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 11:39 AM   #3153
STATUTORY
Bear Chested Da Brawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackass18
No. Takedowns score in Greco-Roman, freestyle wrestling, Sambo, judo, BJJ, etc..., but you want to say they shouldn't score in MMA for no reason? If you want to say they should score less, then OK, I'll agree, but worth 0? Nah. When a person gets a takedown, then they end up in control, which is part of the scoring criteria, so do you want to do away with control, also? Also, I'll point out that the judges gave the 3rd round to Condit even though he was taken down 4 times and had 0 takedowns himself. I find it odd that many people seem to blame just the wrestler. What about the guy on bottom who isn't doing a damn thing?

They should allow knees to a downed opponent. That gives wrestlers another tool whenever their opponent tries to turtle up and goes into defense mode.

Also, GSP said that Nick was hard to hit, hard to control and had a really awkward style of BJJ that was really difficult to prepare for, but I guess everyone here complaining would go and sub Nick Diaz with ease, right?

this is MMA not wrestling, the goal of a fight is not to pin the other guy but to end the match or damage the opponent to a point where the ref needs to stop it. A takedown puts you in a position where you can easier leverage your ability to damage the other guy but it by itself is not actually an offensive manuever, it only can advance your chances to win conditional on you being active while in the guard.

This is why yellow cards to deter stalling or judges being more educated about the sport and stopping rewarding the top guy LnPing with decisions is a necessity. too much of this bs throwing short elbows that do nothing but give the appearance of activity bullshit.

Get rid of elbows, it's not in the spirit of martial arts and is exploited to prevent action. in lull of elbows, the same space the guy on top would need to throw a punch is what the guy on bottom needs for a submission. WIthout elbows the game would be brought back to a balance instead of this Greg Jackson wrestling/jabbing point fest we see today.

oh and institute soccer kicks and knees on the ground again.
STATUTORY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 01:17 PM   #3154
AlphaWolf24
Bringer of Rain

Quote:
Originally Posted by pauk
Thing is this not a sport really, its a real fight, it started that way, they didnt even have gloves or weight limits back in the days, almost no rules... its as real as it legally gets, MMA today is basically a real fight with even more initiated rules to become legal for viewing (and hence making more money), it only looks more like a sport.......

With that being said just like in a real fight wrestling/taking your opponent down is the most powerful/advantageous aspect...... in any random brawl outside with a stranger you will quickly find out that you can be even Bruce Lee standing up and meet a guy who doesnt even know how to punch but if his wrestling is better and especially accompanied with premier BJJ then either you are going to sleep and/or have a broken limb and/or have a screwed face due ground n pound..........

If you want two guys just throwing hands and/or hands&legs at eachother then watch Boxing or Kickboxing... but remember, none of that is anywhere close to real fighting, especially not Boxing....

- No it's not!...bieng able to fight anyhwere is the best advantage. ( heck...why would you want to close distance in a streetfight anyways?)

- Gracie Jujitsu proved to the world.....With great technique....even bieng on the bottom you can make your opponent quit/hurt your opponent so he/she cannot fight......or choke your opponent unconsious.

- many times....the smaller weaker opponent is going to be on the bottom anyways( in a "real fight")

- It's not about wanting to watch guy's just Strike / brawl on thier feet....it's about wanting to see 2 guys try and make thier opponent unable to continue to Fight!!!

in a timed match....ending the Fight has to be the main goal.....not scoring points via having better position/stalling to avoid damage...

If you get in a better position....at least have a passion to try to end the fight.....it has to be this way in TIMED match...or else what is the point? ( wich fighter can take the least damage in 15 minutes?......wich fighter can be on top for 15 minutes?....wich fighter can jab the most times?)

-

Last edited by AlphaWolf24 : 03-18-2013 at 01:28 PM.
AlphaWolf24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 03:22 PM   #3155
Norcaliblunt
Local High School Star

In a real street fight if you take someone down and start ground and pounding on them, that's when dudes homies run up and start stomping you.
Norcaliblunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 03:25 PM   #3156
Norcaliblunt
Local High School Star

If Nick retires at least the 209 still has good old Scottie Brooks coach of the OKC Thunder to be the home area hero to root for. Lol.

Last edited by Norcaliblunt : 03-18-2013 at 07:24 PM.
Norcaliblunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 08:13 PM   #3157
gigantes
Tor Johnson.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackass18
I said I prefer him as the bad guy. I like when there's bad guys and good guys to root against and for. Nick was great in his role as a bad guy, but mother****er talking like he wants to be a good guy? Who would we be left with as a bad guy? Bisping? Kos? If you've seen Sonnen on TUF and/or as an analyst for Fuel TV, then you can see he isn't a bad guy at all. I like watching Diaz fight (he's been a rather entertaining fighter) and when he talks (similar to Tito in that they'll say something stupid and/or off-the-wall). I'm more put off by the Diaz fans than Diaz himself. Effing Sherdog...
well said.

although that also puts the finger on a weak point i personally have in MMA-- that is, i'm 99% in it for the science of fighting, while 99% of people seem like they're in it for the sheer brutality (or a hybrid of the two).

violence is not the usual way to solve problems, but when push comes to shove, every man needs to know how to break skulls as quickly and efficiently as possible.

but storylines and bad guys do sell tickets to the violence-lovers, so we gotta respect that.

same reason i kind of wish dana would eschew the high road versus vince-mac and just straight take the challenge and beat the shit out of him in an octagon. although since the dude does seem to be his idol, dana would probably just judof-cuk him for the whole, short fight. meh.

Quote:
They probably wouldn't be nearly as entertaining, but would probably win more often, do better against wrestlers and have much better game plans.
and, shit... who's going to pull them away from their army of yes-men and their support system?

of the two of them, i think it's nate who has to make the leap and hope that nick follows. he's got a better head than his older brother and has much more of his career in front of him. we can only hope.

but the diaz bros are very awesome to me because they show how REAL fights are conducted in life. mostly with psychology, and only occasionally with the body.
gigantes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 08:16 PM   #3158
gigantes
Tor Johnson.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlphaWolf24
NB4 hugs and handshakes " we were just trying to sell Tickets" ....Wolf Tickets.
er... maybe because you're being a total idiot, as usual?
Old 03-19-2013, 10:53 AM   #3159
AlphaWolf24
Bringer of Rain

Quote:
Originally Posted by gigantes
er... maybe because you're being a total idiot, as usual?
er....maybe I was right......like always...

( yawns).....next.

( opens pocket)
Old 03-20-2013, 12:58 AM   #3160
$LakerGold
#TeamRousey #TeamStark

Mr.IKnowEverything .... Just ignore him
$LakerGold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 11:11 AM   #3161
AlphaWolf24
Bringer of Rain

post fight Joe Rogan interviewed both Nick and George....

- George said that Nick has been around longer then him ( George)...and knows how to promote a fight....

- George also said to the crowd " Nick is a real good guy and they should cheer for him..." Both Fighters raised each others hand...

- Dana sold wolf tickets homey!
Old 03-20-2013, 05:02 PM   #3162
gigantes
Tor Johnson.

i like that alistair seems to be letting go of some cockiness, but... did he actually say "wheat"?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JCPS88-NYIY

and the mcdonald's thing is pretty insane. not even a reasonably-smart person eats that crap, and this pro athlete is eating it routinely?? you shitting me, bro?
Old 03-20-2013, 07:23 PM   #3163
jaydacris
Al

GSP had a fever and a sprained ankle/injured achilles during the fight with diaz (injured it a week prior to the fight), and might have injured it even more during the fight

makes sense, his takedowns werent very GSPesque in the later rounds (diaz still did a good job stuffing some of them)

GSP revealed this by saying "i dont like to make excuses, but i had these injuries during the fight"
just kidding, he didnt say anything at all, it was his trainer who revealed the information :p

he'll be taking some time off, but prly should still be able to fight hendricks later this year

Last edited by jaydacris : 03-20-2013 at 07:27 PM.
jaydacris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 07:27 PM   #3164
Budadiiii
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaydacris
GSP had a fever and a sprained ankle/injured achilles during the fight with diaz (injured it a week prior to the fight), and might have injured it even more during the fight

makes sense, his takedowns werent very GSPesque in the later rounds (diaz still did a good job stuffing some of them)

he'll be taking some time off, but prly should still be able to fight hendricks later this year
Of course you actually have to go out of your way to find out that information.

If Diaz had a fever and a sprained ankle we wouldn't hear the end of it.

I'm glad GSP ended this attention whores career.... until he needs another paycheck.
Budadiiii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 11:25 PM   #3165
Jackass18
The Iron Price

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlphaWolf24
post fight Joe Rogan interviewed both Nick and George....

- George said that Nick has been around longer then him ( George)...and knows how to promote a fight....

- George also said to the crowd " Nick is a real good guy and they should cheer for him..." Both Fighters raised each others hand...

- Dana sold wolf tickets homey!

Dana said that neither Nick nor GSP are good actors. GSP said there was real animosity between them, and if you listened to both of them talk afterwards, then you can see it (that was a rather half-assed hug after the fight). When the fight gets done, then fighters usually want to 'bury the hatchet' and move on. Plus, they typically gain a bit of respect for each other after they fight. Now, was GSP as pissed off as people thought he was? No.
Jackass18 is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: