Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Off the Court Lounge

Off the Court Lounge Basketball fans talk about everything EXCEPT basketball here

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 03-08-2013, 07:56 AM   #3181
andremiller07
#QuincyAcy Fan
 
andremiller07's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 6,523
andremiller07 has an incredible reputation hereandremiller07 has an incredible reputation hereandremiller07 has an incredible reputation hereandremiller07 has an incredible reputation hereandremiller07 has an incredible reputation hereandremiller07 has an incredible reputation hereandremiller07 has an incredible reputation hereandremiller07 has an incredible reputation here
Default Re: MMA Discussion/News thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkmwise
How can you say GSP will win the fight but Diaz is a better fighter..

Because GSP is 100 times the athlete Nick Diaz is, if they were equal from a athletic point of view Diaz would murder him. GSP as an athlete will be to much for Diaz not because hes more skilled or talented as a fighter.
andremiller07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 08:43 AM   #3182
Toizumi
veteran savvy
 
Toizumi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 4,462
Toizumi is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterToizumi is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterToizumi is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterToizumi is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterToizumi is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterToizumi is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterToizumi is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterToizumi is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterToizumi is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster
Default Re: MMA Discussion/News thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by andremiller07
Because GSP is 100 times the athlete Nick Diaz is, if they were equal from a athletic point of view Diaz would murder him. GSP as an athlete will be to much for Diaz not because hes more skilled or talented as a fighter.

GSP is strong and has a top heavy wrestling/grappling game. That's not just strength, but also a skill. If Diaz had the physical tools of GSP, he'd still get outwrestled, as he will be next weekend. Both guys have great striking and obviously Diaz has better BJJ, but GSP is the better fighter in my book. The fact that he only gets decision wins does not change that.

Physical strength really matters in MMA, but only if you know how to use it. I have tapped out bodybuilders weighing 200 lbs with ease, but have also been easily outgrappled by guys weighing 135, because they utilized their strenghts and had good techniques. Gleison Tibau is crazy athletic at LW, but that does not make him a champion. There is no excuse when you fight a guy in the same weight class. GSP to most is considered the better fighter and not because he is stronger. You come in weighing the same..
Toizumi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 10:47 AM   #3183
ErhnamDjinn
“Homo homini lupus est
 
ErhnamDjinn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Lurking in Dominaria
Posts: 2,555
ErhnamDjinn is considered somewhat coolErhnamDjinn is considered somewhat cool
Default Re: MMA Discussion/News thread

Saturdays fight will most likely be another hug fest decision for GSP, even GSP admits he has to fight safe in order to not make the same mistake he did when fighting Matt Serra. It might not be the most aesthetic form of fighting but it works for him, people also underrate his standup especially his Jab.
ErhnamDjinn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 01:14 PM   #3184
AlphaWolf24
Bringer of Rain
 
AlphaWolf24's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 8,013
AlphaWolf24 has decent reputationAlphaWolf24 has decent reputation
Default Re: MMA Discussion/News thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qwyjibo
I some of this "GSP will win but Diaz is a better fighter" stuff.

Isn't the sport MMA? Hasn't GSP clearly been the better fighter when it comes to MMA? Wrestling is a part of that, you know. Are you guys talking if these guys just took out into the street or something? If so, who cares?


yes it is....

- 2 guys in a cage.....they are trying to "MMA" each other .....

- It's not about bieng in the street.....it's about "fighting".....trying to make your opponent QUIT!!!...it shouldn't be about scoring points.

- I really hate that a takedown is thought of so highly in the sport.....especially since BJJ pretty much makes takedowns useless.

- wrestling is important....but it gets Overrated in American MMA because of the rules
AlphaWolf24 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 01:23 PM   #3185
AlphaWolf24
Bringer of Rain
 
AlphaWolf24's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 8,013
AlphaWolf24 has decent reputationAlphaWolf24 has decent reputation
Default Re: MMA Discussion/News thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkmwise
How can you say GSP will win the fight but Diaz is a better fighter. Points are part of mma, wrestling is part of mma, physical skills are part of mma. Thats like saying this year the 49ers were the best team in the NFL even though the Ravens beat them in the superbowl, thats just nonsense.

And GSP is not Gray Maynard, he doesn't just lay on people all his fights.

Of his first 18 MMA wins, 5 were by decision, 5 by submission and 8 by KO/TKO. More recently he does fight more conservatively because he's with Greg Jackson but his game isn't lacking in any aspect of fighting.


- GSP is a great Fighter...no one is arguing this point.

- I'm saying the way it's judged allows GSP to win....without really " fighting" in terms of...what original vale Tudo is all about...( making the opponent quit or become unconsious/unable to defend himself)...

- I understand he is a great wrestler ( who didn't start training wrestling until his MMA career started!!!!! and now is the arguably the best in MMA)

- it's a Timed sport now....scoring point is a very logical way to win.....just hope it doesn't turn into point fighting, and ruin the sport...ala boxing.



imagine the 9ers scored 1 touchdown by running......Ravens scored 1 touchdown by throwing.....refs decide the Ravens win because throwing is harder to do...

that's what a GSP fight is like.

Last edited by AlphaWolf24 : 03-08-2013 at 01:25 PM.
AlphaWolf24 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 04:52 PM   #3186
Brujesino
Someone buy me a PS4
 
Brujesino's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Right ****ing Now!
Posts: 15,441
Brujesino is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableBrujesino is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableBrujesino is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableBrujesino is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableBrujesino is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableBrujesino is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableBrujesino is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableBrujesino is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableBrujesino is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableBrujesino is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableBrujesino is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable
Default Re: MMA Discussion/News thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlphaWolf24

- I really hate that a takedown is thought of so highly in the sport.....especially since BJJ pretty much makes takedowns useless.

- wrestling is important....but it gets Overrated in American MMA because of the rules
I agree with the wrestling part.There is literally no way you can win a decision if a wrestler takes you down hell even if he attempts to takes you down and fails.

Remember Bader vs Lil Nog?Round 2 and 3 were just bader shooting for takedowns and getting them stuffed and yet somehow he won that.

Guida vs Pettis and Guida vs Hioki.Theres a shit load more but too lazy to type them out.
Brujesino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 04:58 PM   #3187
Patrick Chewing
Liberalism = Insanity
 
Patrick Chewing's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: NYC
Posts: 8,615
Patrick Chewing is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablePatrick Chewing is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablePatrick Chewing is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablePatrick Chewing is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablePatrick Chewing is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablePatrick Chewing is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablePatrick Chewing is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablePatrick Chewing is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablePatrick Chewing is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablePatrick Chewing is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablePatrick Chewing is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable
Default Re: MMA Discussion/News thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by ErhnamDjinn
Saturdays fight will most likely be another hug fest decision for GSP, even GSP admits he has to fight safe in order to not make the same mistake he did when fighting Matt Serra. It might not be the most aesthetic form of fighting but it works for him, people also underrate his standup especially his Jab.


GSP fights are so boring
Patrick Chewing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 05:38 PM   #3188
ErhnamDjinn
“Homo homini lupus est
 
ErhnamDjinn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Lurking in Dominaria
Posts: 2,555
ErhnamDjinn is considered somewhat coolErhnamDjinn is considered somewhat cool
Default Re: MMA Discussion/News thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick Chewing
GSP fights are so boring
yup only time I got excited was when Condit head kicked him, sure he's effective but come on let me sleep now, if only all fights were like Hendo/Shogun or Stann / Wanderlei, lolz the UFC would have so many new fans. Heck I was far more excited with the Ronda Rousey fight then most of GSP's fights.
ErhnamDjinn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 09:30 PM   #3189
Jackass18
The Iron Price
 
Jackass18's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Carcosa
Posts: 14,009
Jackass18 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJackass18 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJackass18 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJackass18 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJackass18 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJackass18 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJackass18 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJackass18 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJackass18 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJackass18 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJackass18 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable
Default Re: MMA Discussion/News thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlphaWolf24
- Nick Diaz has never gotten his ass whooped....he's gotten cut up...but anybody thinkin they gonna whoop nick diaz?....aint gonna happen.

He got his face rearranged by KJ Noons. He took some big shots from Gomi. He got his ass kicked by Jeremy Jackson, but that was a long time ago.

Quote:
Nick Diaz = better at fighting.

What? The guy who arguably lost to Mike Aina is a better fighter? The guy who doesn't know how to change his style if it isn't working is a better fighter? The guy who has been lost against wrestlers is a better fighter?

Quote:
- It's not about bieng in the street.....it's about "fighting".....trying to make your opponent QUIT!!!...it shouldn't be about scoring points.

What good fighters has Nick finished? Yeah, that's what I thought.

I really hope GSP doesn't **** up. Nick as champ? I wouldn't know what to say. Maybe the emo would finally learn to cheer up a bit? Crack a smile? I don't know, I just hope it goes like Ben Askren/Karl Amoussou.

Last edited by Jackass18 : 03-08-2013 at 09:33 PM.
Jackass18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 09:38 PM   #3190
Jackass18
The Iron Price
 
Jackass18's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Carcosa
Posts: 14,009
Jackass18 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJackass18 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJackass18 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJackass18 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJackass18 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJackass18 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJackass18 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJackass18 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJackass18 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJackass18 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJackass18 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable
Default Re: MMA Discussion/News thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by andremiller07
Because GSP is 100 times the athlete Nick Diaz is, if they were equal from a athletic point of view Diaz would murder him. GSP as an athlete will be to much for Diaz not because hes more skilled or talented as a fighter.

LOL, what nonsense. Nick as a fighter is rather overrated. Try watching him fight instead of talking about all kinds of nonsense about how much of a fighter he is. A whole lot of talk for someone who hasn't really accomplished all that much.

You want to take away GSP's athleticism? What if we take away Nick's cardio?
Jackass18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 09:41 PM   #3191
Budadiiii
Banned
 
Budadiiii's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Coke Boyz
Posts: 8,400
Budadiiii has one of the lowest reputations on this boardBudadiiii has one of the lowest reputations on this boardBudadiiii has one of the lowest reputations on this boardBudadiiii has one of the lowest reputations on this boardBudadiiii has one of the lowest reputations on this boardBudadiiii has one of the lowest reputations on this boardBudadiiii has one of the lowest reputations on this board
Default Re: MMA Discussion/News thread

GSP the GOAT. He's going to destroy Diaz. Book that a million times. If the rules changed, I guarantee you GSP would adapt and still be the best.

He's the Michael Jordan of MMA.
Budadiiii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 10:51 PM   #3192
dkmwise
Local High School Star
 
dkmwise's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 1,475
dkmwise is a pretty well-respected posterdkmwise is a pretty well-respected posterdkmwise is a pretty well-respected posterdkmwise is a pretty well-respected poster
Default Re: MMA Discussion/News thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlphaWolf24
- GSP is a great Fighter...no one is arguing this point.

imagine the 9ers scored 1 touchdown by running......Ravens scored 1 touchdown by throwing.....refs decide the Ravens win because throwing is harder to do...

that's what a GSP fight is like.

That scenerio would mean that GSP dominated his opponent on the ground and his opponent dominated him in the stand up and he was awarded the decision. When was the last time someone dominated him with their stand up?
dkmwise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 10:52 PM   #3193
dkmwise
Local High School Star
 
dkmwise's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 1,475
dkmwise is a pretty well-respected posterdkmwise is a pretty well-respected posterdkmwise is a pretty well-respected posterdkmwise is a pretty well-respected poster
Default Re: MMA Discussion/News thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by andremiller07
Because GSP is 100 times the athlete Nick Diaz is, if they were equal from a athletic point of view Diaz would murder him. GSP as an athlete will be to much for Diaz not because hes more skilled or talented as a fighter.

What is it that people think Diaz is so much more talented at?

Wrestling - GSP by far
BJJ - Maybe Diaz by a little
Muay Thai - GSP
Boxing - Equal
dkmwise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 10:55 PM   #3194
B-Low
The Love B-Low
 
B-Low's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Crowned Prince of the OTC
Posts: 15,594
B-Low is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableB-Low is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableB-Low is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableB-Low is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableB-Low is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableB-Low is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableB-Low is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableB-Low is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableB-Low is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableB-Low is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableB-Low is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable
Default Re: MMA Discussion/News thread

Saying Diaz is a better fighter than GSP is like saying Blake Griffin is a better basketball player than Tim Duncan just because Duncan plays a safe/boring game. GSP fights, GSP wins. That's why you fight, to win.
B-Low is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 11:21 PM   #3195
dkmwise
Local High School Star
 
dkmwise's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 1,475
dkmwise is a pretty well-respected posterdkmwise is a pretty well-respected posterdkmwise is a pretty well-respected posterdkmwise is a pretty well-respected poster
Default Re: MMA Discussion/News thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by B-Low
Saying Diaz is a better fighter than GSP is like saying Blake Griffin is a better basketball player than Tim Duncan just because Duncan plays a safe/boring game. GSP fights, GSP wins. That's why you fight, to win.

That was said perfectly. Great point
dkmwise is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by:
Reply


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 01:38 PM.




NBA Basketball Forum Key Links:
InsideHoops Home
NBA Rumors
Basketball Blog
NBA Daily Recaps
NBA Videos
Fantasy Basketball
NBA Mock Draft
NBA Free Agents
All-Star Weekend
---
High School Basketball
Streetball
---
InsideHoops Twitter
Search Our Site













Powered by vBulletin Version 3.5.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd. Terms of Use/Service | Privacy Policy