Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Off the Court Lounge

Off the Court Lounge Basketball fans talk about everything EXCEPT basketball here

Old 03-17-2013, 05:10 AM   #3331
blacknapalm
spider 3 y banana

blacknapalm has an incredible reputation hereblacknapalm has an incredible reputation hereblacknapalm has an incredible reputation hereblacknapalm has an incredible reputation hereblacknapalm has an incredible reputation hereblacknapalm has an incredible reputation hereblacknapalm has an incredible reputation hereblacknapalm has an incredible reputation here
Default Re: MMA Discussion/News thread

i def don't always agree w/ jackass but i do on this point. i can't say i'm a big diaz fan but i always appreciated the fact he brought it during fights. he was entertaining and just unpredictable. he doesn't give PC answers and i don't necessarily see him as a 'bad' guy. i think he really appreciates all his fans and isn't selfish at all. there's no doubt mma has been a huge part of his lifestyle.

and when he overmatches his opponent and knows it? it's even more entertaining. call it disrespectful or whatever but it's like he has an eternal chip on his shoulder. silva's done the same when he was in full control. silva can be even more offensive imo since he does it against fighters that he's clearly better against. for diaz, it's part of his gameplan...even if he's losing

that said, kinda found it funny how even more diaz fans seemed to come out of the woodwork, especially with his recent actions. people want to praise him being honest or whatever, but he sort of came off as whiny and about being more about promoting the past couple weeks. it makes it look even more that way when he asks for a rematch and a possibility w/ silva. like...how are you going to ask for silva? you're not exactly a legend, all-time great.

the whole walking around with his hands down just seemed weak. even if he was trying to instigate gsp, he wasted valuable time. there's nothing wrong w/ gsp sticking with his gameplan and hell, he stood with nick. he just used his athleticism to duck in and out and not play the 'dirty boxing' game.

if you want to call what gsp does a 'points' game...whatever. no one criticizes the great NBA coaches of exploiting matchups. you play to your strengths. ya, i don't find gsp fights to be the most exciting but he's good at what he does. he's smothering, has great balance and is brilliant at taking short, powerful shots. diaz peppered him a couple times but he was never in any real danger. call it safe if you want but he forces his gameplan and wins.

i also want to echo that i thought condit might have beat hendricks. i was surprised it wasn't at least a split decision.

jake was awesome. he seems to be getting more aggressive. totally down w/ him fighting someone like condit next. he almost reminds me of maia in his improvement though i think much of maia's success is due to moving down a weight class which i said he should have done for a couple years now....

anyway, random thoughts. pretty good card overall. first couple fights were snooze fests but the top of the card made up for it.

Last edited by blacknapalm : 03-17-2013 at 05:24 AM.
blacknapalm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 06:57 AM   #3332
DropStep
Good High School Starter

DropStep has decent reputation

UFC should continue to make weight class themed cards. Have the top guys from each division fight each other.
Hendrix vs GSP
Condit vs Rory
Maia vs Ellenberger
Martin Kampmann vs Tarec Saffiedine

Those fights should headline the next WW themed card.

GSP fights very safe(its very surprising how many non MMA fans know who he is and tune into see him fight), its a bit hard to watch with a large group of people who are trying to get into MMA. You almost have to keep them interested by breaking out a comedy routine. But the Hendrix vs Condit, Ellenberger vs Nate fights were good enough to make them semi MMA fans.

Patrick Cote winning that fight made me cringe.

Last edited by DropStep : 03-17-2013 at 07:35 AM.
DropStep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 08:35 AM   #3333
andremiller07
#QuincyAcy Fan

andremiller07 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterandremiller07 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterandremiller07 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterandremiller07 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterandremiller07 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterandremiller07 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterandremiller07 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterandremiller07 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

If Hendrix did break his hand the UFC should do Ellenberger vs GSP, Jake is the only one explosive/athletic enough to catch GSP standing on the feet and KO him (which is very hard to do). While GSP would most likely take him down and sub him out I would say just based on KO power/athletic ability Jake has the best shot atm plus hes a decent wrestler and that KO on Nate "the fake" was fair epic. Hendrix falls in the same boat but I don't think he quiet has the speed of Jake and hes only a 1 hand puncher kinda like Koschek where as Jake can hit with both.

MMA needs to change the scoring system, takedowns unless they do damage should be worth zero, 99% inflict zero damage and all your doing is getting the fight to the ground, I don't see fighters getting points for keeping the fight standing or fighting there way up to the fight. I honestly think if takedowns were not worth anything (unless damaging) that Condit wins that fight (still close). I can't understand why a takedown is worth so and it at times makes the sport annoying as hell
andremiller07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 09:31 AM   #3334
DropStep
Good High School Starter

DropStep has decent reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by andremiller07

MMA needs to change the scoring system, takedowns unless they do damage should be worth zero, 99% inflict zero damage and all your doing is getting the fight to the ground, I don't see fighters getting points for keeping the fight standing or fighting there way up to the fight. I honestly think if takedowns were not worth anything (unless damaging) that Condit wins that fight (still close). I can't understand why a takedown is worth so and it at times makes the sport annoying as hell

I agree the scoring system needs to be changed but takedowns always should weighed. Just not as much as they are now. If you ran your rule, when a guy gets a takedown the man on the bottom is just gonna hug him or hold his wrist, avoid the action.

I think judges should be held more accountable and be forced to give explanations when a controversial decision happens.

I also think the judges understood Condit winning would mean Condit vs GSP again and they probably wanted to see something new.
DropStep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 11:53 AM   #3335
B-Low
The Love B-Low

B-Low is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableB-Low is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableB-Low is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableB-Low is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableB-Low is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableB-Low is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableB-Low is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableB-Low is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableB-Low is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableB-Low is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableB-Low is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Just some stats from last night for those wondering:

Significant Strikes
GSP - 105
Diaz - 41

Total Strikes
GSP - 210
Diaz - 80

Takedowns
GSP - 9
Diaz - 0

With that said, I'm watching the postfight show and they're actually arguing about who should be GSP's next opponent. Dom Cruz says the obvious answer, Hendricks. But Chael (and Rogan hinted at it too) says ELLENBERGER should get the next shot??

I'm sorry but if Hendricks doesn't get the next shot then I don't know what to say. You can't come up with a ranking system like this and then COMPLETELY ignore it. Before tonight even happened, Hendricks was ranked #1, Condit was #2, Ellenberger was #6 and Nate was unranked.

The #1 beat the #2 (controversial or not, it happened). The #6 beat someone unranked. How in God's name could that possibly even remotely result in the #6 jumping all the way up to #1?? I don't think UFC quite has a grip on how a ranking system works...
B-Low is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 12:20 PM   #3336
Qwyjibo
Yankee.Hotel.Foxtrot

Qwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterQwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterQwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterQwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterQwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterQwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterQwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterQwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterQwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterQwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterQwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Hendricks absolutely deserves it right now. No one else should even be up for it. I don't care how good Ellenberger looked or what Maia does next or whatever.

Hendricks should've been the one fighting GSP last night but they needed to get this Diaz fight finally out of the way for good.
Qwyjibo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 12:28 PM   #3337
B-Low
The Love B-Low

B-Low is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableB-Low is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableB-Low is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableB-Low is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableB-Low is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableB-Low is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableB-Low is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableB-Low is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableB-Low is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableB-Low is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableB-Low is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Yeah next fights need to be:

GSP vs. Hendricks
Condit vs. Rory
Ellenberger vs. Maia

Winner of Jake vs. Maia gets the next title shot if GSP wins. But to be completely honest, I really just have a feeling that Hendricks might KO St Pierre. I'm a HUGE GSP fan. Borderline stan. Hell I just wore a GSP shirt to church to celebrate his win lol...but I think Johnny has a very real shot at dethroning him. Nick doesn't even hit that hard and in round 3 last night he had GSP kind of shook before Georges took him down (and kept looking up at the clock). Watching the bombs Hendricks was throwing at Condit just made me think that he might be the one...
Old 03-17-2013, 02:10 PM   #3338
Brujesino
Someone buy me a PS4

Brujesino is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableBrujesino is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableBrujesino is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableBrujesino is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableBrujesino is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableBrujesino is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableBrujesino is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableBrujesino is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableBrujesino is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableBrujesino is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableBrujesino is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:
Originally Posted by B-Low

Hell I just wore a GSP shirt to church to celebrate his win lol...
What the ****?
Brujesino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 02:11 PM   #3339
jaydacris
Rose

jaydacris is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablejaydacris is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablejaydacris is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablejaydacris is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablejaydacris is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablejaydacris is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablejaydacris is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablejaydacris is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablejaydacris is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablejaydacris is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablejaydacris is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

pfft, jesus is a diaz fan!
jaydacris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 02:14 PM   #3340
B-Low
The Love B-Low

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brujesino
What the ****?

yep haha... and its funny this old guy came up to me and went "St Pierre eh? Quite a performance he had last night. That Diaz guy is nuts"
Old 03-17-2013, 02:26 PM   #3341
Brujesino
Someone buy me a PS4

Brujesino is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableBrujesino is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableBrujesino is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableBrujesino is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableBrujesino is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableBrujesino is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableBrujesino is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableBrujesino is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableBrujesino is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableBrujesino is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableBrujesino is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaydacris
pfft, jesus is a diaz fan!
Jesus is Diaz
Brujesino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 02:29 PM   #3342
The Macho Man
Randy Savage

The Macho Man is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThe Macho Man is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThe Macho Man is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThe Macho Man is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThe Macho Man is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThe Macho Man is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThe Macho Man is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThe Macho Man is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThe Macho Man is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThe Macho Man is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThe Macho Man is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:
Originally Posted by B-Low
Just some stats from last night for those wondering:

Significant Strikes
GSP - 105
Diaz - 41

Total Strikes
GSP - 210
Diaz - 80

Takedowns
GSP - 9
Diaz - 0

With that said, I'm watching the postfight show and they're actually arguing about who should be GSP's next opponent. Dom Cruz says the obvious answer, Hendricks. But Chael (and Rogan hinted at it too) says ELLENBERGER should get the next shot??

I'm sorry but if Hendricks doesn't get the next shot then I don't know what to say. You can't come up with a ranking system like this and then COMPLETELY ignore it. Before tonight even happened, Hendricks was ranked #1, Condit was #2, Ellenberger was #6 and Nate was unranked.

The #1 beat the #2 (controversial or not, it happened). The #6 beat someone unranked. How in God's name could that possibly even remotely result in the #6 jumping all the way up to #1?? I don't think UFC quite has a grip on how a ranking system works...

Chael doesn't think Chael should get the next shot?
The Macho Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 06:05 PM   #3343
pauk
NBA Legend

pauk has an incredible reputation herepauk has an incredible reputation herepauk has an incredible reputation herepauk has an incredible reputation herepauk has an incredible reputation herepauk has an incredible reputation herepauk has an incredible reputation here

Please man... for Silva, Jones and especially GSP dont believe any fight hype (that somebody can give them even a "good fight")... there is nobody out there who has a chance, its ZERO chance... especially against GSP because of his overwhelming wrestling... he just takes anybody down and beats you, then feels bad for you and gives you a chance to not look like a complete noob by not taking you down and letting you throw some weakass punch

Last edited by pauk : 03-17-2013 at 06:11 PM.
pauk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 09:59 PM   #3344
AlphaWolf24
Bringer of Rain

AlphaWolf24 is considered somewhat coolAlphaWolf24 is considered somewhat cool

GSP definitely outclassed/out positioned Diaz.....

- funny part is....Diaz did more damage to GSP ( from hitting him in the 3rd round) then all of the "position control/ elbow strikes/takedowns" from GSP.

- I sure hope MMA changes it's scoring system/essence of the sport.....example: Condit should have won....GSP might actually fight.

Last edited by AlphaWolf24 : 03-17-2013 at 10:37 PM.
AlphaWolf24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 10:12 PM   #3345
STATUTORY
Bear Chested Da Brawn

STATUTORY has a bad reputationSTATUTORY has a bad reputationSTATUTORY has a bad reputationSTATUTORY has a bad reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlphaWolf24
GSP definitely outclassed/out positioned Diaz.....

- funny part is....Diaz did more damage to GSP ( from hitting him in the 3rd round) then all of the "position control/ elbow strikes/takedowns" from GSP.

- I sure hope MMA changes it's scoring system/ideal of the sport.....example: Condit should have won....GSP might actually fight.

sports going in the wrong direction

bring back pride rules
STATUTORY is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: