Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Off the Court Lounge

Off the Court Lounge Basketball fans talk about everything EXCEPT basketball here

Old 05-29-2013, 07:25 PM   #3406
B-Low
The Love B-Low

Default Re: MMA Discussion/News thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaydacris

Should be fun to watch lol. But @ disallowing elbow shots to an opponent when on the ground. GSP made Diaz hate those apparently
B-Low is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2013, 07:34 PM   #3407
Brujesino
Stephen Kerry

Quote:
Originally Posted by B-Low
Should be fun to watch lol. But @ disallowing elbow shots to an opponent when on the ground. GSP made Diaz hate those apparently
Did GSP even throw an elbow?That was a serious laying on top of someone.

Too bad they cant put in more pride rules.
Brujesino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2013, 07:51 PM   #3408
B-Low
The Love B-Low

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brujesino
Did GSP even throw an elbow?That was a serious laying on top of someone.

Too bad they cant put in more pride rules.

Yeah there were some short elbows in there
B-Low is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2013, 08:08 PM   #3409
WWRWestbrookDo?
GOATbrook Activated

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackass18
Am I the only one not looking forward to Cain/JDS III? This will make Cain's last 5 fights:

JDS
Bigfoot
JDS
Bigfoot
JDS

Lovely variety there, UFC. I don't know why they gave JDS the title shot so damn quickly especially when he just got dominated for 5 ****ing rounds against Cain. Save that fight for down the road. I would have at least waited 'til to see if Werdum beat Big Nog. I just hope they don't give Roy Nelson a title shot if he beats Miocic.

I don't think any current heavyweight can beat Cain. Yes a lucky punch can occur but once the fight gets past round 1 it's game over for his opponent.

Cain vs. Jon Jones....is the super fight I want to see.
WWRWestbrookDo? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2013, 09:38 PM   #3410
jaydacris
Al

frank mir vs josh barnett added to ufc 164

barnett got this
jaydacris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2013, 09:47 PM   #3411
WWRWestbrookDo?
GOATbrook Activated

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaydacris

damn I hope he doesn't blow his money..He's a cool dude. Met him and he was one of the nicest fighters I've met.
Old 05-29-2013, 10:45 PM   #3412
gigantes
Tor Johnson.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WWRWestbrookDo?
I don't think any current heavyweight can beat Cain. Yes a lucky punch can occur but once the fight gets past round 1 it's game over for his opponent.
even as a big cain fan, i can't agree. as a slightly-small HW whose head can be wobbled at times, he is at risk against most of his opponents. just about all of his opponents, really, now that he has to fight the absolute best.

to me he's a bit like fedor... physically a bit of an underdog who uses masterful technique and strategy to beat the bullies. every time i see him fight lately i can see him losing if he makes a mistake.
gigantes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 12:30 AM   #3413
$LakerGold
#TeamRousey #TeamStark

Exclamation Re: MMA Discussion/News thread

Mir Vs. Barnett set for UFC 164. I thought 164 was gonna be at Toronto. FUUUUUUUUU!!! I was gonna go again!
$LakerGold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 12:35 AM   #3414
WWRWestbrookDo?
GOATbrook Activated

Quote:
Originally Posted by gigantes
even as a big cain fan, i can't agree. as a slightly-small HW whose head can be wobbled at times, he is at risk against most of his opponents. just about all of his opponents, really, now that he has to fight the absolute best.

to me he's a bit like fedor... physically a bit of an underdog who uses masterful technique and strategy to beat the bullies. every time i see him fight lately i can see him losing if he makes a mistake.

who in the heavyweight division do you think can give Cain problems? IMO you have to catch him early like the JDS fight or you have to have excellent takedown defense.
Old 05-30-2013, 12:43 AM   #3415
raiderfan19
Shazam!

It's not even that you have to hav excellent td defense. You have to have cardio that quite frankly no other hw has. As to the Cain/fedor comp I understand where you are going with that, but fedor had one of the greatest chins of all time. Cains chin is his only question mark.
raiderfan19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 03:29 AM   #3416
gigantes
Tor Johnson.

@WWRW...,
- junior, obviously. he may gas a little in mid-fight, but now we know that his 2nd wind is very impressive. not to mention, his incredible toughness. the 2nd fight was the only one i know of in which cain said he was exhausted at the end.

- bigfoot may have gotten whomped 2x, but he is exactly the type i was talking about... one mistake against him and the fight can be over... due to strikes or due to under-position. cain could fight that type of guy 10 more times and every time he would be in danger.

- if lesnar hadn't been a stubborn idiot about learning modern MMA, particularly standup, he could give cain or anyone else enormous problems IMO. particularly if he didn't have a short gas tank with all that unnecessary muscle. guy was a freak of nature who took cain down and somehow let him slide out from underneath. watch it again some time and tell me that didn't look very weird to you.

- overeem, werdum, the retired carwin and maybe some others could all give cain a lot of trouble IMO. they're bigger, stronger, have better jitz, better muay thai, kickboxing, knockout power as the case may be.

i love cain, but this common idea that he's some sort of invincible legend is horse-pucky IMO. to me he's more likeable because of his flaws, not because he's a lock. fedor was never a lock, either. he had to keep slaying giants every step of the way. very different from a spider or a jones...
Old 05-31-2013, 12:53 AM   #3417
Jackass18
The Iron Price

Quote:
Originally Posted by WWRWestbrookDo?

The HW division is a pretty unproven division. Cain hasn't fought most of the top 10, and before too long you can say that he's spent the last 3 years fighting only 2 different guys. It's rare that these HWs fight more than twice a year. It would be nice if we got more fights out of them, and it's shame we have to see the top guy fighting the same guys over and over in the limited number of times he does fight.

I think the thing that separates Cain from most of the division is his cardio. Having those skills and cardio is a big plus for him.
Jackass18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2013, 10:27 PM   #3418
$LakerGold
#TeamRousey #TeamStark

Quote:
Dana White on Roy Nelson ~"Roy loves to say I'll never give him a title shot, but dude, beat someone and then I'll give you the shot. Roy is knocking off these guys ranked six through 10, but when he gets to fighting the top five guys, he can't do the same thing. You're not going to get a title shot for beating No. 6 and No. 8. You have to beat the top guys. If Nelson goes out there and beats the guys ranked head of him, then yeah, he'll get one. But he's not going to get one just by talking about it and doing whatever the hell he is trying to do. He's going to have to fight for it, just like everyone else."

Hahaha ... this is what makes me hate him sometimes. WTF DANA.
$LakerGold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2013, 10:33 PM   #3419
millwad
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by $LakerGold
Hahaha ... this is what makes me hate him sometimes. WTF DANA.

What a douche, Roy Nelson has won 3 straight in the first round and still he gets to face Stipe Miocic, a guy who lost to Struve who himself got knocked out by Nelson.

Give Roy some better competition to face then, Dana..
millwad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2013, 03:28 AM   #3420
gigantes
Tor Johnson.

i like roy a lot, but this is the game that he chose to play. when you're a regular annoyance to the forces in charge, you're not going to get the best opportunities.
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: