Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Off the Court Lounge

Off the Court Lounge Basketball fans talk about everything EXCEPT basketball here

Old 08-04-2013, 12:10 AM   #3496
LosScandalous
pilot talk 3

Default Re: MMA Discussion/News thread

Coin flip fight
LosScandalous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2013, 12:12 AM   #3497
$LakerGold
#TeamRousey #TeamStark

Dana has to do something with this. smh
$LakerGold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2013, 12:12 AM   #3498
$LakerGold
#TeamRousey #TeamStark

29-28? More like 30-27 all 3 rounds to Lyoto. WTF.
Old 08-04-2013, 12:13 AM   #3499
redhonda76
Go NY GO NY GO

How can 2 takedowns with minimal damage can score so much than Machida landing the punches.
redhonda76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2013, 12:13 AM   #3500
LosScandalous
pilot talk 3

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/UFC_163

go to the results
LosScandalous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2013, 12:26 AM   #3501
gigantes
Tor Johnson.

i’ll have to watch the full fight, but the decision sounds like complete bullshit.

brasilian judges ripping off a brasilian in brasil... was not expecting that!
gigantes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2013, 12:49 AM   #3502
bmulls
Great college starter

That sucks, KZ was starting to look a lot better in the 4th. God I bet that hurt like a mofo
bmulls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2013, 01:22 AM   #3503
$LakerGold
#TeamRousey #TeamStark

Whatever ... Diaz 1, 2, & 5.
Old 08-04-2013, 01:23 AM   #3504
$LakerGold
#TeamRousey #TeamStark

"Wow!!! I had Machida winning all 3 rds but that's what happens when u leave it up to the judges!" ~Dana White via Twitter
Old 08-04-2013, 01:27 AM   #3505
bdreason
Game. Set. Match.

Not watching the fights, but I assume Lyoto was backpedaling the whole fight. Maybe judges gave Davis the edge for aggression and octagon control?

MMA judges are garbage. They really need to have a 5 judge system to reduce error.
bdreason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2013, 01:57 AM   #3506
$LakerGold
#TeamRousey #TeamStark

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdreason
Not watching the fights, but I assume Lyoto was backpedaling the whole fight. Maybe judges gave Davis the edge for aggression and octagon control?

MMA judges are garbage. They really need to have a 5 judge system to reduce error.
It was the other way around. Phil Davis was hesitating throughout the entire time. Couldn't pull the trigger. lol
Old 08-04-2013, 02:19 AM   #3507
ClutchOver9000
#Knickstape

Shitty card all around.

Felt bad for KZ. You could tell this was the most important fight of his life. Crazy thing is, even though he lost the first 3 rds, he still had a good shot, Aldo was fading as he always does. KZ could've wore him out to a victory who knows...but Aldo saw KZ was injured and like a shark in blood infested water, went for the kill.

As for the co-main.... bleh. My opinion on Phil Davis? Bleh.

In the prelims I did lulz at Magalhaes running straight into 40 year old Perrosh's right hand and getting knocked out in 14 secs of the 1st.
ClutchOver9000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2013, 03:24 AM   #3508
gigantes
Tor Johnson.

just watched it on youtube (lol). my thoughts:

- machida clear winner round one.
- rounds 2-3 not all that decisive either way.
- davis with a couple takedowns, but got very little done, there. LnP is little points in my book.
- when in doubt in these cases, i hit some stats. okay, fightmetric has it 27 - 21 significant strikes in favor of machida, 29 - 27 total strikes favor of davis, total performance rating 41 - 27 for machida.

CONCLUSION: somewhat close fight, but machida looks like the clear winner here. ISSUES: if the scoring / judging system isn't working, maybe it's time to revisit it. like, why is there this pressure to score a winner in each round? the rules permit 10 - 10 rounds to be scored, so why don't judges ever do that, like for rounds 2-3? and why can't fight stats be used to help decide close decisions?

thoughts on phil davis:

davis is one of the most unnatural-looking fighters i've even seen. he may be a great wrestler, but his main move in the octagon seems to be the bunny-hop. by the end of the 2nd he looked half-gassed merely from all the dorky dance floor moves he was throwing down.

when he's doing GnP his knee attacks look alright, but his arm strikes are straight from a bad cartoon, like pro wrestling. as in, make the motion of the strike but then pull back just as you connect so that almost zero damage is done. those strikes were some of the weirdest shit i've ever seen in MMA.

davis is in his prime now, but still looks like a work in progress. why is that? some wrestlers look like MMA world-beaters within a year or two of beginning (hello, weidman). this guy has been training for, what... six years now? and yet looks almost as uncomfortable on the feet as brock lesnar. so who's he train under, exactly? oh yea... alliance and lloyd irvin. alrighty then!

Last edited by gigantes : 08-04-2013 at 08:24 AM.
Old 08-05-2013, 12:56 PM   #3509
AlphaWolf24
Bringer of Rain

Quote:
Originally Posted by gigantes
just watched it on youtube (lol). my thoughts:

- machida clear winner round one.
- rounds 2-3 not all that decisive either way.
- davis with a couple takedowns, but got very little done, there. LnP is little points in my book.
- when in doubt in these cases, i hit some stats. okay, fightmetric has it 27 - 21 significant strikes in favor of machida, 29 - 27 total strikes favor of davis, total performance rating 41 - 27 for machida.

CONCLUSION: somewhat close fight, but machida looks like the clear winner here. ISSUES: if the scoring / judging system isn't working, maybe it's time to revisit it. like, why is there this pressure to score a winner in each round? the rules permit 10 - 10 rounds to be scored, so why don't judges ever do that, like for rounds 2-3? and why can't fight stats be used to help decide close decisions?

thoughts on phil davis:

davis is one of the most unnatural-looking fighters i've even seen. he may be a great wrestler, but his main move in the octagon seems to be the bunny-hop. by the end of the 2nd he looked half-gassed merely from all the dorky dance floor moves he was throwing down.

when he's doing GnP his knee attacks look alright, but his arm strikes are straight from a bad cartoon, like pro wrestling. as in, make the motion of the strike but then pull back just as you connect so that almost zero damage is done. those strikes were some of the weirdest shit i've ever seen in MMA.

davis is in his prime now, but still looks like a work in progress. why is that? some wrestlers look like MMA world-beaters within a year or two of beginning (hello, weidman). this guy has been training for, what... six years now? and yet looks almost as uncomfortable on the feet as brock lesnar. so who's he train under, exactly? oh yea... alliance and lloyd irvin. alrighty then!

- I thought Davis striking looked alot better.....( he was fighting Machida....most fighters look lost on the feet vs Machida)

- In fact...outside of the 2 knees and stiff jab Machida threw....I thought Davis did a moer damage against machida on the feet...

I was not surprised at all at Davis winning ( especially under UFC rules.....takedowns and control are important)

Davis even threw a great switch kick against Machida in the 2nd round ( I think)...

Machida needs to fight with more urgency....that's twice he lost on decisions that he could have won if he was more aggressive...

It's a timed event FFS!
AlphaWolf24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013, 01:38 PM   #3510
gigantes
Tor Johnson.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlphaWolf24
- I thought Davis striking looked alot better.....( he was fighting Machida....most fighters look lost on the feet vs Machida)

- In fact...outside of the 2 knees and stiff jab Machida threw....I thought Davis did a moer damage against machida on the feet...

I was not surprised at all at Davis winning ( especially under UFC rules.....takedowns and control are important)

Davis even threw a great switch kick against Machida in the 2nd round ( I think)...

Machida needs to fight with more urgency....that's twice he lost on decisions that he could have won if he was more aggressive...

It's a timed event FFS!
yea, youíre right i think. and itís true davis is definitely coming along. i would really like to see him train somewhere else, though. heís hitting his prime and still has some weird habits and tendencies IMO. iím also just not a big fan of alliance (ex: products like leben) and irvin (ex: rape cases and attitude).
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: