Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Off the Court Lounge

Off the Court Lounge Basketball fans talk about everything EXCEPT basketball here

Old 04-27-2013, 12:43 AM   #3526
raiderfan19
Shazam!

Default Re: MMA Discussion/News thread

Chael is the most overrated fighter in Mma. Will be glad to see him get killed
raiderfan19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 03:55 PM   #3527
lefthook00
College star

Cain vs. Jones is my dream matchup.
lefthook00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 04:47 PM   #3528
Qwyjibo
Yankee.Hotel.Foxtrot

Quote:
Originally Posted by lefthook00
Cain vs. Jones is my dream matchup.
That would be interesting. I honestly wouldn't know who to pick in that matchup. I can't see Jones taking him down much (or at all?) and Cain has the power in the standup. It depends on if he can get close to him consistently.
Qwyjibo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 04:50 PM   #3529
B-Low
The Love B-Low

Are they still going with Machida as the #1 contender? I honestly have no idea what LHW I'd wanna see Jones fight next (that would be a legit challenge for him). Unless Cormier is ready to come down...
B-Low is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 05:20 PM   #3530
lefthook00
College star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qwyjibo
That would be interesting. I honestly wouldn't know who to pick in that matchup. I can't see Jones taking him down much (or at all?) and Cain has the power in the standup. It depends on if he can get close to him consistently.

Hopefully it happens eventually once Jones moves up!
Old 04-28-2013, 05:21 PM   #3531
gigantes
‪ ‪

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qwyjibo
hmm... it seems pretty clear to me based on what we know here and now:

cain would likely bull rush and lock up jones to prevent the dude's killing attack at range. but cain would be a lot heavier, stronger and faster than sonnen was. no flipping cain to the ground in that matchup. it would be a very interesting fight with jones ability to sneak-attack elbows, but i think cain would wear him down and break him in the end.

not to mention, jones is going to fall apart trying to throw his long, skinny frame in to the HW division. he can add all the muscle he wants, but that's not going to fix the problem nor make his gas tank any bigger.

can you imagine jones doing a title eliminator versus someone like hunt, carwin, nelson, etc...? he thought he had trouble with broken hands and toes before...??
gigantes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 05:22 PM   #3532
lefthook00
College star

Quote:
Originally Posted by B-Low
Are they still going with Machida as the #1 contender? I honestly have no idea what LHW I'd wanna see Jones fight next (that would be a legit challenge for him). Unless Cormier is ready to come down...

I say Machida rematch, Silva, or just move up. It seems like Jones is going to move up soon if those two don't happen, so he might as well fight Cormier @ heavy as his first fight at that weight.
Old 04-28-2013, 05:33 PM   #3533
B-Low
The Love B-Low

Quote:
Originally Posted by lefthook00
I say Machida rematch, Silva, or just move up. It seems like Jones is going to move up soon if those two don't happen, so he might as well fight Cormier @ heavy as his first fight at that weight.

Right. Here's UFC's top 10 ranking

1 Lyoto Machida
2 Alexander Gustafsson
3 Dan Henderson
4 Glover Teixeira
5 Antonio Rogerio Nogueira
6 Rashad Evans
7 Mauricio Rua
8 Phil Davis
9 Gegard Mousasi
10 Ryan Bader

The only one that would even be interesting is Gustafsson and that's strictly because of the similary reach/frame. Skillwise Jones rips him apart. There's really nothing at all left at 205 for Jones and I really don't see anyone on the horizon that will be able to challenge him at all. This might be the first time ever that UFC has to take the belt off someone for being so good they killed the division
Old 04-28-2013, 06:46 PM   #3534
gigantes
‪ ‪

for all you sonnen-haters:

Quote:
You know what? When I get in there, I just want to know who's better," Sonnen said. "I just want to feel these other guys. I want to see what the hype's about. If they would have called the match [in his favor because of Jones' broken toe], I wouldn't have had any illusions. I knew in those first five minutes who the better fighter was.

"I'm sure it would have gone to a rematch and we'd have had to do that again, because it would only have been right to Jon. But I got my questions answered tonight."

Quote:
"I've had a lot of fights, and they haven't all gone my way," Sonnen said. "But I've only been beaten up twice and that was No. 2. And he beat me at my own game. It's frustrating and it's tough. That's it.

"I was [surprised by him]. I'll have to watch the replay to see what he did. He was on my leg before I knew it. I don't know how he set it up, if he threw a punch. I don't know what happened. He was just in on my leg. I've been in that spot all my life, and I haven't fallen down like that. I got up, and he did it again. I got up and he did it again. I don't think I've been taken down three times in my career, and he took me down three times in one round."

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/mma--af...065509327.html
gigantes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 07:12 PM   #3535
millwad
NBA rookie of the year

Quote:
Originally Posted by B-Low
Right. Here's UFC's top 10 ranking

1 Lyoto Machida
2 Alexander Gustafsson
3 Dan Henderson
4 Glover Teixeira
5 Antonio Rogerio Nogueira
6 Rashad Evans
7 Mauricio Rua
8 Phil Davis
9 Gegard Mousasi
10 Ryan Bader

The only one that would even be interesting is Gustafsson and that's strictly because of the similary reach/frame. Skillwise Jones rips him apart. There's really nothing at all left at 205 for Jones and I really don't see anyone on the horizon that will be able to challenge him at all. This might be the first time ever that UFC has to take the belt off someone for being so good they killed the division

Used to be my favorite division but as you just said, Jones just killed the division completely. No one is even anywhere close to his..

As a swede I would love to see Gustafsson get a shot but Jones is just so much better that it's not even funny.

Jones fight against Sonnen was never even the a little interesting, it's was like a lamb going at it with a lion.
millwad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 07:19 PM   #3536
B-Low
The Love B-Low

Quote:
Originally Posted by millwad
Used to be my favorite division but as you just said, Jones just killed the division completely. No one is even anywhere close to his..

As a swede I would love to see Gustafsson get a shot but Jones is just so much better that it's not even funny.

Jones fight against Sonnen was never even the a little interesting, it's was like a lamb going at it with a lion.

And Jones is a unique situation because he's so damn young. St Pierre, there's people who have a chance against him (I'm damn near a GSP stan and even I think Hendricks might be the one to take it) and either way he says he's only gonna do 2-3 more fights then hang it up. Silva is untouchable at 185, but he's getting up there in age and says he'll be gone after a few more fights. But Jon is 25 YEARS OLD. The fact that he's already cleared his division out and still has a good 10 years left in his career is just unfair lol.
Old 04-28-2013, 07:26 PM   #3537
Lebron23
Most Valuable Player

I watched the fight last night (Balls Channel). Jones is a F*cking beast. I love to see Jones fight Silva @ Catchweight.
Lebron23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 07:32 PM   #3538
phelix2000
Decent playground baller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lebron23
I watched the fight last night (Balls Channel). Jones is a F*cking beast. I love to see Jones fight Silva @ Catchweight.

Silva called Dana White last night after Jones's victory asking for a fight. Saw it on yahoo.
phelix2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 08:04 PM   #3539
Lebron23
Most Valuable Player

Who do you think wins? Jon Jones vs. Prime Tito Ortiz

@Phelix2000

Lebron23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 08:05 PM   #3540
jaydacris
BTE One Hit Wonder