Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Off the Court Lounge

Off the Court Lounge Basketball fans talk about everything EXCEPT basketball here

Old 07-30-2013, 12:19 PM   #3841
$LakerGold
#TeamRousey #TeamStark

Default Re: MMA Discussion/News thread

After, he went on to discuss one instance of how fans can sometimes take things to far;

Quote:
I was sitting on the toilet and I heard screaming, ĎGSP! GSP are you there? I was saying to myself, ĎAre you serious? Is he really calling me while Iím on the toilet right now?í And I didnít say a word. So Iím waiting and Iím like, Ē Shoot, I canít believe heís doing this to me.í Iím a shy guy. I donít like to be on the spot. So I wait. When I finished, I flushed and I even waited the next five minutes to make sure everybody that was in the [bathroom] when the guy called me Ö was gone, so it was different people because I donít want to be put on the spot.Ē ~GSP

http://tapnapsnap.com/gsp-on-being-t...-come-with-it/
$LakerGold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2013, 01:23 PM   #3842
Zan Tabak
Only the finest

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClutchOver9000
Srsly? He'd most likely rag doll you to submission. Would def beat your ass but you won't be put into a coma.

Now Robbie Lawler on the other hand. That's one scary mofo. Imagine hitting on a girl at a club, and finding out her BF is a pissed off Robbie Lawler Can you say brain damage?

If we're going for the one dude you wouldn't want to piss off, I think Cain would take the prize.
Zan Tabak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2013, 01:46 PM   #3843
Zan Tabak
Only the finest

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Macho Man
Palhares
Over Cain? Not sure about that Macho. Don't get me wrong, I wouldn't want to piss him off either!
Old 07-30-2013, 03:01 PM   #3844
Zan Tabak
Only the finest

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Macho Man
Cain seems like he would stop beating me when I'm unconscious. Palhares I don't have confidence he would stop, or he would rip my leg off. He just seems meaner and crazier.
point taken. Cain does seem like a nicer guy.
Old 07-30-2013, 04:46 PM   #3845
gigantes
Tor Johnson.

meh. paul harris would kick palharesí ass.

in unrelated news, this ballerina keeps
reminding me of demetrius johnson for some reason:

yea... slow day in MMA, eh?
gigantes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2013, 05:00 PM   #3846
Graviton
◕‿◕

That Ellenberger vs Rory fight was the worst display of MMA I have ever seen in UFC, right up there with Kimbo Slice vs Houston Alexander.

The issue was beyond their passiveness, multiple times in the fight BOTH of them were LITERALLY standing at arms length and STARING at each other's eyes like some gay lovers. That wasn't the Ellenberger I remember, ever since getting knocked out he has turned into an extremely passive shell of a fighter. And Rory's hype definitely took a hit that day, he coulda taken him down or thrown some different kicks instead of doing that same little weakass front kick and jab. He even slipped during one of those shitty kicks and fell on his ass like an amateur while Ellenberger again stood there and was too scared to go in on a grounded opponent for some reason.

That fight was a giant cluster****, both fighters were so damn passive and one dimensional, made GSP look like Jon Jones. Rory just threw a jab every 30 seconds and Ellenberger just missed everything and stood there doing nothing even after 2 rounds of losing. How the **** are these guys so highly ranked, especially Rory at #3 when he has only beaten 1 Top 10 opponent. I am pretty sure Thiago Alves, Kampmann, Koscheck, Diaz, Condit and some others would beat those guys or expose their weaknesses at least. Rory is getting that Jon Jones hype push, just without the actual results, quality of opponents beaten and exciting performances.
Graviton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2013, 05:19 PM   #3847
gigantes
Tor Johnson.

after blowing off any necessary steam over the weekend, i don't get why anybody's still disappointed with rory at this point.

it's not like he goes out there and does this every time. no, he was facing a very dangerous striker, came in with a counter-strategy, and ellenberger never adapted. to me that's on ellenberger, especially after he talked all that crap in the buildup.

name of the game is to take what the situation gives you and exploit it. versus penn, mills, pyle and diaz, rory showed that same approach, just found different weaknesses and fought accordingly with results as we saw. even against condit he was doing great and being exciting until basically getting too sloppy. he is NOT a boring or passive fighter to me.

yes, dana white jumped on the mic afterwards, beat his chest and said the same old shit to look tough and appease the fans, but the reality is that he's pretty much merciless to anyone who loses without going out on their shields. just like going against silva or the diazes, it's better to just ignore the bully-talk and stick to your plan. it can't always be an exciting fight. that's life.

no, the burden was on team ellenberger IMO and they shit the bed on this one.
Old 07-30-2013, 05:30 PM   #3848
Graviton
◕‿◕

Quote:
Originally Posted by gigantes
after blowing off any necessary steam over the weekend, i don't get why anybody's still disappointed with rory at this point.

it's not like he goes out there and does this every time. no, he was facing a very dangerous striker, came in with a counter-strategy, and ellenberger never adapted. to me that's on ellenberger, especially after he talked all that crap in the buildup.

name of the game is to take what the situation gives you and exploit it. versus penn, mills, pyle and diaz, rory showed that same approach, just found different weaknesses and fought accordingly with results as we saw. even against condit he was doing great and being exciting until basically getting too sloppy. he is NOT a boring or passive fighter to me.

yes, dana white jumped on the mic afterwards, beat his chest and said the same old shit to look tough and appease the fans, but the reality is that he's pretty much merciless to anyone who loses without going out on their shields. just like going against silva or the diazes, it's better to just ignore the bully-talk and stick to your plan. it can't always be an exciting fight. that's life.

no, the burden was on team ellenberger IMO and they shit the bed on this one.

Not like Rory actually fought like Condit and moved around and threw different strikes, if Ellenberger stood at the end of the cage and didn't stalk him Rory would basically be standing in his own corner doing nothing himself. Ellenberger was a statue, but Rory was just the same statue that simply threw a strike every minute or two. He never engaged, he never pushed the pace, he never even attempted a takedown. Burger was initiating EVERYTHING.

Either way Rory is clearly not on the same level as Jones/GSP/Aldo and some other multi dimensional champions, he is like a robot and fights like one as well. He had a reach advantage on that "dangerous striker", he had plenty chances to actually hurt him when Ellenberger exposed himself over and over but he decided to just stand there and outpoint him. And not the exciting Franky Edgar outpointing with takedowns as well as strikes. Even against Penn he was overly cautious, even though Penn was basically done and a punching bag. Rory just doesn't seem to have that killer instinct.

This fight showed me that WW isn't as stacked as I thought, LW is definitely way ahead in terms of quality.
Old 07-30-2013, 06:00 PM   #3849
gigantes
Tor Johnson.

well, if you already had that kind of outlook on rory, why are you disappointed with this result?

you basically just confirmed what you already believed and now you're mad about it...?
Old 07-30-2013, 06:09 PM   #3850
Graviton
◕‿◕

Quote:
well, if you already had that kind of outlook on rory, why are you disappointed with this result?

you basically just confirmed what you already believed and now you're mad about it...?
Because I thought he would actually take the next step after that Mills fight and be the Jon Jones of WW division. But obviously with GSP tutoring him that's a lost cause.

He has the same tools and skills as Jones, just not the mindset.
Old 07-30-2013, 06:34 PM   #3851
gigantes
Tor Johnson.

well, to each their own.

would definitely love to see him take on the other top WW's, tho. we still don't know what this kid's ceiling is, but the condit rematch would be pretty interesting.

would also love to see nick diaz unretire and match him... because the fight would probably spend a lot more time on the feet than the diaz - GSP one.
Old 07-30-2013, 07:27 PM   #3852
Graviton
◕‿◕

Quote:
well, to each their own.

would definitely love to see him take on the other top WW's, tho. we still don't know what this kid's ceiling is, but the condit rematch would be pretty interesting.

would also love to see nick diaz unretire and match him... because the fight would probably spend a lot more time on the feet than the diaz - GSP one.
How many times has Diaz retired now? WTF is going on with him? I like his younger brother so much more, has a lot less mental issues.
Old 07-30-2013, 08:02 PM   #3853
gigantes
Tor Johnson.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Graviton
How many times has Diaz retired now? WTF is going on with him? I like his younger brother so much more, has a lot less mental issues.
Old 07-30-2013, 08:06 PM   #3854
gigantes
Tor Johnson.

but seriously... nick is definitely complicated and has some issues. he's pissed me off plenty a time, but he's also a must-see fighter and very down to earth with fans.

i do think he has a bit of a persecution complex that he unintentionally fuels by his approach to life, but then everyone's got something. but at the end of the day he's a decent guy IMO. not very professional, but that's a different story.
Old 07-30-2013, 08:13 PM   #3855
Graviton
◕‿◕

Quote:
but seriously... nick is definitely complicated and has some issues. he's pissed me off plenty a time, but he's also a must-see fighter and very down to earth with fans.

i do think he has a bit of a persecution complex that he unintentionally fuels by his approach to life, but then everyone's got something. but at the end of the day he's a decent guy IMO. not very professional, but that's a different story.
Yea, watching videos of him and his brother outside UFC really gives you the feel that they are your average down to earth guys. Always cool with the fans, taking pictures and talking with them. I think they just have issues with the bright lights and the mainstream show business.
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: