Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Off the Court Lounge

Off the Court Lounge Basketball fans talk about everything EXCEPT basketball here

Old 07-30-2013, 05:30 PM   #3871
Graviton
◕‿◕

Default Re: MMA Discussion/News thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by gigantes
after blowing off any necessary steam over the weekend, i don't get why anybody's still disappointed with rory at this point.

it's not like he goes out there and does this every time. no, he was facing a very dangerous striker, came in with a counter-strategy, and ellenberger never adapted. to me that's on ellenberger, especially after he talked all that crap in the buildup.

name of the game is to take what the situation gives you and exploit it. versus penn, mills, pyle and diaz, rory showed that same approach, just found different weaknesses and fought accordingly with results as we saw. even against condit he was doing great and being exciting until basically getting too sloppy. he is NOT a boring or passive fighter to me.

yes, dana white jumped on the mic afterwards, beat his chest and said the same old shit to look tough and appease the fans, but the reality is that he's pretty much merciless to anyone who loses without going out on their shields. just like going against silva or the diazes, it's better to just ignore the bully-talk and stick to your plan. it can't always be an exciting fight. that's life.

no, the burden was on team ellenberger IMO and they shit the bed on this one.

Not like Rory actually fought like Condit and moved around and threw different strikes, if Ellenberger stood at the end of the cage and didn't stalk him Rory would basically be standing in his own corner doing nothing himself. Ellenberger was a statue, but Rory was just the same statue that simply threw a strike every minute or two. He never engaged, he never pushed the pace, he never even attempted a takedown. Burger was initiating EVERYTHING.

Either way Rory is clearly not on the same level as Jones/GSP/Aldo and some other multi dimensional champions, he is like a robot and fights like one as well. He had a reach advantage on that "dangerous striker", he had plenty chances to actually hurt him when Ellenberger exposed himself over and over but he decided to just stand there and outpoint him. And not the exciting Franky Edgar outpointing with takedowns as well as strikes. Even against Penn he was overly cautious, even though Penn was basically done and a punching bag. Rory just doesn't seem to have that killer instinct.

This fight showed me that WW isn't as stacked as I thought, LW is definitely way ahead in terms of quality.
Graviton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2013, 06:00 PM   #3872
gigantes
Tor Johnson.

well, if you already had that kind of outlook on rory, why are you disappointed with this result?

you basically just confirmed what you already believed and now you're mad about it...?
gigantes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2013, 06:09 PM   #3873
Graviton
◕‿◕

Quote:
well, if you already had that kind of outlook on rory, why are you disappointed with this result?

you basically just confirmed what you already believed and now you're mad about it...?
Because I thought he would actually take the next step after that Mills fight and be the Jon Jones of WW division. But obviously with GSP tutoring him that's a lost cause.

He has the same tools and skills as Jones, just not the mindset.
Old 07-30-2013, 06:34 PM   #3874
gigantes
Tor Johnson.

well, to each their own.

would definitely love to see him take on the other top WW's, tho. we still don't know what this kid's ceiling is, but the condit rematch would be pretty interesting.

would also love to see nick diaz unretire and match him... because the fight would probably spend a lot more time on the feet than the diaz - GSP one.
Old 07-30-2013, 07:27 PM   #3875
Graviton
◕‿◕

Quote:
well, to each their own.

would definitely love to see him take on the other top WW's, tho. we still don't know what this kid's ceiling is, but the condit rematch would be pretty interesting.

would also love to see nick diaz unretire and match him... because the fight would probably spend a lot more time on the feet than the diaz - GSP one.
How many times has Diaz retired now? WTF is going on with him? I like his younger brother so much more, has a lot less mental issues.
Old 07-30-2013, 08:02 PM   #3876
gigantes
Tor Johnson.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Graviton
How many times has Diaz retired now? WTF is going on with him? I like his younger brother so much more, has a lot less mental issues.
Old 07-30-2013, 08:06 PM   #3877
gigantes
Tor Johnson.

but seriously... nick is definitely complicated and has some issues. he's pissed me off plenty a time, but he's also a must-see fighter and very down to earth with fans.

i do think he has a bit of a persecution complex that he unintentionally fuels by his approach to life, but then everyone's got something. but at the end of the day he's a decent guy IMO. not very professional, but that's a different story.
Old 07-30-2013, 08:13 PM   #3878
Graviton
◕‿◕

Quote:
but seriously... nick is definitely complicated and has some issues. he's pissed me off plenty a time, but he's also a must-see fighter and very down to earth with fans.

i do think he has a bit of a persecution complex that he unintentionally fuels by his approach to life, but then everyone's got something. but at the end of the day he's a decent guy IMO. not very professional, but that's a different story.
Yea, watching videos of him and his brother outside UFC really gives you the feel that they are your average down to earth guys. Always cool with the fans, taking pictures and talking with them. I think they just have issues with the bright lights and the mainstream show business.
Old 07-30-2013, 09:08 PM   #3879
jaydacris
Al

jaydacris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2013, 09:20 PM   #3880
$LakerGold
#TeamRousey #TeamStark

I really bet that Eddie Bravo is hoping for another Twister. Watch, if he does it, Eddie will be ALL OVER HIS DICK RIDING IT LIKE A MOTHERFUCKER.
$LakerGold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2013, 04:03 AM   #3881
Jackass18
The Iron Price

Quote:
Originally Posted by Graviton
How the **** are these guys so highly ranked, especially Rory at #3 when he has only beaten 1 Top 10 opponent.

Who should be ranked above him?

Quote:
Rory is getting that Jon Jones hype push, just without the actual results, quality of opponents beaten and exciting performances.

He has 1 boring performance and all of the sudden he hasn't ever been exciting? He's beaten quality opponents. There's more to MMA than just the top 10. Why do some people act like if you're not in the top 10, then you're irrelevant?

Quote:
Even against Penn he was overly cautious, even though Penn was basically done and a punching bag. Rory just doesn't seem to have that killer instinct.

Eh, Penn is incredibly difficult to finish. He's only been finished twice, once after suffering broken ribs and the other was basically due to exhaustion at the end of the 4th round against GSP. Rory has 15 wins with 12 via stoppage, but he can't finish? Maybe he's given his past 2 opponents too much respect, but he's done what he's supposed to do - win.

Bellator has a nice card on tonight.
Jackass18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2013, 04:21 AM   #3882
gigantes
Tor Johnson.

if the club falls through tonight i'll try to watch that. haven't seen live bellator in ages... never actually seen askren or chandler fight.
Old 07-31-2013, 01:51 PM   #3883
AlphaWolf24
Bringer of Rain

Quote:
if the club falls through tonight i'll try to watch that. haven't seen live bellator in ages... never actually seen askren or chandler fight.

you aint missing much
AlphaWolf24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2013, 04:01 PM   #3884
Brujesino
Stephen Kerry

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlphaWolf24
you aint missing much
What i like about him is that hes honest.Hes not like GSP where he hypes up a fight and says stupid stuff as if he was going KO someone or put a beating on him.Askren just straight up tells you hes going to blanket you.

But yayou aint missing much.
Brujesino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2013, 05:01 PM   #3885
jaydacris
Al

jaydacris is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: