Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Off the Court Lounge

Off the Court Lounge Basketball fans talk about everything EXCEPT basketball here

Old 08-18-2013, 12:28 AM   #3976
gigantes
Tor Johnson.

Default Re: MMA Discussion/News thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by $LakerGold
Well, everyone's different. Brock showed in the past that all that muscle mass can actually be effective --- if you just know how to use it. ...
yea, but the difference is that brock's physique was along the lines of his real build. even if he didn't lift weights he'd still have a pretty monstrous build. he was also a much better natural athlete than overeem. at least at his fighting weight, anyway.

overeem is very tall, obviously, but his real build is not that amazing before hitting the weights and whatever supplements. if you look at the narrow points of his physique that can't be altered much by muscle mass, you'll see what i mean.

those two things, natural build and athleticism, are a huge gulf between the two.
gigantes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2013, 12:53 AM   #3977
$LakerGold
#TeamRousey #TeamStark

Quote:
Originally Posted by gigantes
yea, but the difference is that brock's physique was along the lines of his real build. even if he didn't lift weights he'd still have a pretty monstrous build. he was also a much better natural athlete than overeem. at least at his fighting weight, anyway.

overeem is very tall, obviously, but his real build is not that amazing before hitting the weights and whatever supplements. if you look at the narrow points of his physique that can't be altered much by muscle mass, you'll see what i mean.

those two things, natural build and athleticism, are a huge gulf between the two.

Yes, I agree with you. lol

All I'm saying is that they are good in their own ways, & Overeem was at his best when he was all well-muscled.
$LakerGold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2013, 05:16 AM   #3978
gigantes
Tor Johnson.

overeemís biggest problem to me is not the muscles or lack of muscles, itís the lack of a plan B.

when he gasses, half-gasses or gets dinged up, he just seems to shut down. not only does he not salvage the situation, he practically offers himself up to be beaten on. i donít think of him as a bully, but itís classic bully behavior.

i would not be surprised that after getting brutally KOíd so many times in the past, his thoughts get mushy pretty quickly when hit in the head. that could explain part of it.
Old 08-18-2013, 05:24 AM   #3979
blacknapalm
spider 2 y banana

Quote:
Originally Posted by gigantes
overeem’s biggest problem to me is not the muscles or lack of muscles, it’s the lack of a plan B.

when he gasses, half-gasses or gets dinged up, he just seems to shut down. not only does he not salvage the situation, he practically offers himself up to be beaten on. i don’t think of him as a bully, but it’s classic bully behavior.

i would not be surprised that after getting brutally KO’d so many times in the past, his thoughts get mushy pretty quickly when hit in the head. that could explain part of it.

i agree that's a part of it but cardio is a serious issue as well. he gassed himself going for the finish. browne was pushing forward throwing those front kicks. so you're right as well...the fact reem didn't adjust to that is a red flag. i'm tired of saying the narrative of him being too overconfident. his spacing totally sucked. still, questions about his chin are lame. browne hit him pretty solidly. the replay showed a wicked whiplash and the ball of his foot hit him pretty squarely in the chin. browne ain't small so that's gonna be felt.

i'm not a fan of reem so i can't say i'm totally disappointed. he needs to gameplan or move on. it might be mental. i still think a lot of his success came from roids. not all but a good portion to get him over the top. he was a great fighter regardless but i think those roids made him go into the 'elite' realm. you're a fool if you think that was his first time using. he's been yoked and just like at his weight transformation with his body frame.

when he has control he can be devastating. when he doesn't, it's a struggle to the finish usually in his defeat.

Last edited by blacknapalm : 08-18-2013 at 05:26 AM.
blacknapalm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2013, 06:08 AM   #3980
gigantes
Tor Johnson.

@blacknapalm,
jack slack disagrees with you and most others about roids being as big of a deal as people think. he said the reem greatly upgraded his skillset, too. of course i wouldn't really know since i didn't follow reem at all in the past. just throwing it out there in case you didn't see the article.

anyway, you seem to be misunderstanding how i questioned his chin. i'm not saying his chin showed weakness from the final kick, i'm saying his thoughts may have started getting a little cloudy from the time browne got back to his feet and clocked him a couple times with his fists. and or the first couple of those kicks.

i'm saying it's not an all-or-nothing proposition. there can be shades of damage and shades of shutdown between a totally fresh chin and a guy who's been KO'd around a dozen times across two sports, as well as a couple times in practice, apparently.

cloudier thoughts = poorer decisions = poorer defense = possibility to get KO'd... is my hypothesis.

i still think he should have hugged, tossed the occasional knee, and waited for his second wind.
Old 08-18-2013, 09:56 AM   #3981
andremiller07
#Dre Day in Sac Town

First time I watched some of an MMA event in ages, and Uriah Hall after all the hype looks like nothing more than the 185 version of Cheick Kongo to me (I doubt he will be as successful as Kongo tbh) dude is garbage. Shogun needs to retire before he does anymore damage to his legacy dude just is not the same since that knee injury prior to entering the UFC.

Good to see Super Steven Siler get another W always enjoyed him for some reason.
andremiller07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2013, 02:39 PM   #3982
bdreason
Game. Set. Match.

So tired of Sonnen and the UFC's promotion of him. Guy has finished one fight in the last 7 years, yet the UFC continues to promote him because he runs his mouth like a WWE wrestler.
bdreason is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2013, 08:52 PM   #3983
tontoz
NBA sixth man of the year

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdreason
So tired of Sonnen and the UFC's promotion of him. Guy has finished one fight in the last 7 years, yet the UFC continues to promote him because he runs his mouth like a WWE wrestler.

He has finished 2 of his last 4 fights.
tontoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2013, 09:04 PM   #3984
B-Low
The Love B-Low

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdreason

Sonnen's good and UFC likes him because he's willing to fight anyone, any time, on a month's notice or even a week's notice. He does studio work for them, promotion work for them etc.

And when you look at it, yeah he's lost, but he's lost to Silva and Jones which would be the same for 99.999% of the men ever to step foot in the Octagon. The fact is Sonnen can still beat just about anybody in the UFC that doesn't have a belt and more importantly he's WILLING to do so. So he gets promoted.
B-Low is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2013, 09:05 PM   #3985
TheSilentKiller
NBA Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by B-Low
Sonnen's good and UFC likes him because he's willing to fight anyone, any time, on a month's notice or even a week's notice. He does studio work for them, promotion work for them etc.

And when you look at it, yeah he's lost, but he's lost to Silva and Jones which would be the same for 99.999% of the men ever to step foot in the Octagon. The fact is Sonnen can still beat just about anybody in the UFC that doesn't have a belt and more importantly he's WILLING to do so. So he gets promoted.
this is the very reason i like Sonnen. Talks soooo much shit but he's willing to duke it out with anybody.
TheSilentKiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2013, 09:39 PM   #3986
gigantes
Tor Johnson.

kid nate at SBN is saying reem should get cut or IS going to be cut.

that's ridiculous to me. overeem was dominating in all three UFC fights, with roids and without. he's exciting, he's a draw, someone always gets knocked out, and he's in a premiere division amongst an always-thin talent pool.

UFC overpaid him... it's not his fault and it's not our fault. just deal with it and renegotiate his contract, i say. or am i wrong... does anybody here really want to see him cut?
Old 08-18-2013, 09:49 PM   #3987
B-Low
The Love B-Low

Nah he shouldn't get cut. Too much marketability still left in him and like gigantes said he is still a good fighter who would crush the majority of heavyweights. When people beat Overeem, it's still a big deal. The time to cut somebody is when people are no longer surprised to see them lose.

Plus people really, really, really, really like seeing him lose
Old 08-22-2013, 12:24 AM   #3988
jaydacris
Al

time for a news update bump:

- Tim Kennedy vs Machida (at middleweight) scheduled for UFC Fight for the Troops 3 on Nov. 6 in Fort Cambell, Kentucky

- Belfort vs Henderson being targeted for UFC Fight Night 32 in Brazil on Nov. 9 (at light heavyweight)

- Lawler vs Rory MacDonald added to UFC 167

- Sonnen vs Wanderlei Silva is the possible UFC 167 co main event

- Bjorn Rebney says Bellator likely not re-signing Askren, but of course take that with a grain of salt. would be cool to see Askren in UFC

- Chandler vs Alvarez 2 is happening on the Ortiz-Rampage Bellator PPV card
jaydacris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013, 12:44 AM   #3989
gigantes
Tor Johnson.

oh boy, lawlor - young macdonald...

whereís the drooling smiley when you need it?
Old 08-22-2013, 11:01 AM   #3990
B-Low
The Love B-Low

Vitor vs. Dan Henderson this November in.....wait for it.....BRAZIL!!!!

God when was the last time Belfort fought outside of Brazil? Shockingly I don't think he has ever since he went all "brown Hulk" on us.
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: