Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Off the Court Lounge

Off the Court Lounge Basketball fans talk about everything EXCEPT basketball here

Old 11-16-2013, 03:54 AM   #4456
bdreason
Game. Set. Match.

Default Re: MMA Discussion/News thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brujesino
A week ago Jones said that the UFC is making him fight all the tough guys and everyone else was getting the easy fights.

That's what happens when you're the champ.

The UFC only feeds cans to contenders... to build them up for a title fight.
bdreason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2013, 02:11 AM   #4457
$LakerGold
#TeamRousey #TeamStark

See how easy it is if we just ignore the trolls. Averages 3 posts when ignored.

Great night, yo. I'm waiting for that "essay"
$LakerGold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2013, 02:12 AM   #4458
jaydacris
Al

Rockhold vs Philippou

and

Benson Henderson vs Josh Thompson

were announced tonight
jaydacris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2013, 02:27 AM   #4459
gigantes
Tor Johnson.

forgot to mention before-- i'm not a fan of the way dana is low-balling askren by dismissing his ability and style.

IMO so far it's another case of him trying to artificially manipulate the types of fighters on the roster.

no, if the UFC is supposed to be about the best in the world, then you have to give askren his shot. not every fight can be about two guys who stand and trade in order to please bloodsport fans, in order to make the most money. MMA is more than that.
gigantes is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2013, 03:51 AM   #4460
$LakerGold
#TeamRousey #TeamStark

The thing is, I think Dana suspects that Bellator is playing a tricky card here, IMO. I don't know what it is ... but it could be just the publicity itself. It leads to people checking Ben Askren's record & that leads to Bellator -- but like I said, I don't know/not sure.

Or, it could be just Dana being Dana. He is the boss, & at the end of the day it's his decision. But for some reason, I have this feeling that Dana is being like this just because Askren is connected to Bellator, & we all know he hates Bdork.
Old 11-17-2013, 07:30 PM   #4461
gigantes
Tor Johnson.

what i'm not clear on is how it got decided that the UFC would borrow boxing's 10-pt must system in the first place. who were the major parties involved? and did the UFC's decision mean that all future MMA orgs would follow suit?

and now, in to the present... how could such a system be changed at this point? is it decided state by state by the athletic commissions? does the event organiser even have input on that?

since most judges are by proxy political appointees... as are douchebags like keith kizer who oversee them... you can't actually force them to score rounds 10-10 or 10-8 the way that they should be doing. so that part seems like a lost cause.

personally i think that a combo system would be nice. a means of combining round by round scoring with fightmetrics with the eye test.

random example: the judges decision gets one third share, a small panel of pro fighters make an overall decision for one third share, and fightmetrics / compubox combined efficiency gets the last share.

there are many proposed systems of course, but the point is that something needs to change for the good of the sport.
Old 11-17-2013, 08:12 PM   #4462
Real Men Wear Green
Please clap.

Quote:
Originally Posted by B-Low
Yeah he'll say that right after a loss, but then tonight he's back to ranting and raving like usual
Can a fighter afford to be "realistic?" If a guy doesn't have the mentality that he can beat anybody he's not going to be as confident as he needs to be.
Real Men Wear Green is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2013, 08:50 PM   #4463
$LakerGold
#TeamRousey #TeamStark

Exclamation Re: MMA Discussion/News thread

Off-Topic: This Is Not Happening: Joe Rogan Meets A Crazy Stripper
http://youtu.be/-tpPZ74AdpI?t=36s

Quote:
"She's only about 90 lbs, that p***y gotta be tight." - Mark "The Hammer" Coleman
Old 11-19-2013, 08:54 PM   #4464
gigantes
Tor Johnson.

tickle tickle!

Old 11-19-2013, 08:55 PM   #4465
$LakerGold
#TeamRousey #TeamStark

Old 11-19-2013, 08:56 PM   #4466
$LakerGold
#TeamRousey #TeamStark

Quote:
Originally Posted by gigantes
tickle tickle!

lmao. Arianny is so hot. omg.
Old 11-19-2013, 09:12 PM   #4467
lefthook00
College star

Quote:
Originally Posted by gigantes
what i'm not clear on is how it got decided that the UFC would borrow boxing's 10-pt must system in the first place. who were the major parties involved? and did the UFC's decision mean that all future MMA orgs would follow suit?

and now, in to the present... how could such a system be changed at this point? is it decided state by state by the athletic commissions? does the event organiser even have input on that?

since most judges are by proxy political appointees... as are douchebags like keith kizer who oversee them... you can't actually force them to score rounds 10-10 or 10-8 the way that they should be doing. so that part seems like a lost cause.

personally i think that a combo system would be nice. a means of combining round by round scoring with fightmetrics with the eye test.

random example: the judges decision gets one third share, a small panel of pro fighters make an overall decision for one third share, and fightmetrics / compubox combined efficiency gets the last share.

there are many proposed systems of course, but the point is that something needs to change for the good of the sport.

I think mma/UFC had a really hard time becoming legalized in the beginning IIRC, adopting the 10-point system probably helped the UFC become legalized. Maybe something to do with the Nevada State Athletic Commission back in the day?
lefthook00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2013, 09:17 PM   #4468
lefthook00
College star

I think keeping the 10-point system would be okay if the judges weren't so retarded. Can't use boxing judges for mma...
Old 11-20-2013, 05:43 AM   #4469
gigantes
Tor Johnson.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lefthook00
I think mma/UFC had a really hard time becoming legalized in the beginning IIRC, adopting the 10-point system probably helped the UFC become legalized. Maybe something to do with the Nevada State Athletic Commission back in the day?
ah, good point. using the boxing system was quite possibly a strategic / political appeasement in the wake of all that early resistance... like john mccain going all apeshit against MMA.

Quote:
I think keeping the 10-point system would be okay if the judges weren't so retarded. Can't use boxing judges for mma...
problem is, i don't think they have any motivation or stimulus to change. kizer sounded like he was almost amused by the whole GSP - dana white thing. anyway, he's just some political crony whose main concern is not making waves and keeping the money flowing in. i don't think he gives a shit.

but if they integrated fightmetrics and the eye test, i think the system could much better survive any one part making a poor conclusion.

jon jones pulled out of two cards in a row because he's STILL messed up from the gustafsson fight...!
Old 11-20-2013, 05:12 PM   #4470
lefthook00
College star

nvm.

Last edited by lefthook00 : 11-21-2013 at 05:05 AM.
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: