Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Off the Court Lounge

Off the Court Lounge Basketball fans talk about everything EXCEPT basketball here

Old 08-05-2014, 01:07 AM   #5581
bdreason
Game. Set. Match.

Default Re: MMA Discussion/News thread

I doubt Diaz ever makes the Silva fight. He'll do something stupid or fail a drug test or something.

And the Cormier/Jones fight was obviously staged. Great move to increase hype for the fight though.
bdreason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2014, 01:41 AM   #5582
gigantes
Tor Johnson.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBoss
How so?
it goes back years and involves countless episodes. if you follow the news items or hang around sherdog or the MMA-underground forums you'll prolly get a taste.

for the record, i really just want jones to conduct himself a little better. he's unbelievably talented and accomplished, but still pretty young. a lot of the stuff that sets him off so easily, other greats such as fedor, silva, GSP, etc would just ignore. i just hope he gets it one day.
gigantes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2014, 03:15 AM   #5583
blacknapalm
spider 2 y banana

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdreason
And the Cormier/Jones fight was obviously staged. Great move to increase hype for the fight though.

i'm not entirely sure after watching it again. i usually side with the 'it was staged' crowd but let's look at a couple things.

- it was done in a public hotel lobby...on a stage without excessive security. there's just so many things that could go wrong here besides people getting involved, namely people falling wrong. if things got out of hand, public opinion would turn on the ufc real quick and all that would take is an overzealous fan or drunk idiot jumping into the fray.

- cormier threw his shoe into the crowd...hard. if that hit somebody and broke their nose or something? lawsuit. there were also kids around.

- cormier isn't 100% so why risk this fight? gus fight already got called off. if cormier gets hurt? there is no main event and more ufc backlash. they already had a jones card cancelled last year. these guys were talking enough trash to avoid that risk. there's also a stacked undercard.

anyway, the sportscenter interview was hilarious. DC just basically laughing at everything jones said jones got annoyed but DC also got annoyed when jones said DC acted high and mighty due to his wrestling credentials when they first met. who knows the real story? what is clear is these guys don't like each other. while most mma feuds are fluff and spin, there's something behind this one. sort of reminds me of the first tate-rousey fight.

Last edited by blacknapalm : 08-05-2014 at 05:09 AM.
blacknapalm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2014, 07:34 AM   #5584
gigantes
Tor Johnson.

it's ugly. they kept after it on twitter. jones was saying DC's wrestling was weak... DC was saying jones hits like a bish and next time don't put his dirty face on him. pretty ugly,

incredibly, they have to do another showdown photo-op today in a different city.
Old 08-05-2014, 07:37 AM   #5585
Cocaine80s
Banned

lol Dana really gonna stage a fight when DC got a ****ed up knee?

common sense mane
Cocaine80s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2014, 08:40 AM   #5586
Angel Face
Caped Baldy

at that scuffle being staged, Jones looked like he wants to kill Cormier. Anyway, realistically Jones would win this fight. He has speed, strength, size and reach advantage and I don't like Jones. He has become an asshole after winning the title, back then he was a humble kid. I hope Cormier knocks him out upset victory, humbles him again.
Angel Face is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2014, 12:49 PM   #5587
AlphaWolf24
Bringer of Rain

They obviously ( from past interviews and even years before when they met each other) get on each others nerves...

Jones stood over DC postured up ( showed he was the taller person) and put his forehead on him ( a natural Alpha stance )......DC pushed him back and Jones threw a punch.

seems like alot of people fell down and got stepped on....kinda dangerous for a " staged" fight....but who knows.
AlphaWolf24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2014, 02:34 PM   #5588
Real Men Wear Green
Please clap.

I won't say it was choreographed but if the UFC (or other sport fighting organizations) really wanted to stop stare down fights in press conferences we wouldn't see them happening all the time. They may be pretending to be upset but the UFC really sees such things as fight promotion. You have all that testosterone between two men that have been getting into fights, sanctioned as well as unsanctioned, since they were children now staring into the face of someone they know they are going to be fighting, just inches away from each other. UFC acting like it's some kind of horrifying event when they trade blows is laughable.
Real Men Wear Green is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2014, 05:08 PM   #5589
GetBuckets
I airball my layups

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angel Face
at that scuffle being staged, Jones looked like he wants to kill Cormier. Anyway, realistically Jones would win this fight. He has speed, strength, size and reach advantage and I don't like Jones. He has become an asshole after winning the title, back then he was a humble kid. I hope Cormier knocks him out upset victory, humbles him again.

One way or another I wanna see Jones v Weidman Superfight, - I liked Jones when he first started, but like you said, he has let it go to his head and turned into a complete asshole. I am a huge fan of Weidman and Rousey in the UFC (those are the only two I really root for). :)
GetBuckets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2014, 05:42 PM   #5590
Shade8780
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by gigantes
Shade8780 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2014, 05:56 PM   #5591
hateraid
Is it in you?

I have an inside source that told me that the Jones/DC scuffle was staged. I know some sponsors for Bones.
hateraid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2014, 06:19 PM   #5592
gigantes
Tor Johnson.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hateraid
I have an inside source that told me that the Jones/DC scuffle was staged. I know some sponsors for Bones.
then do the right thing, and tell them that they're full of shit.
Old 08-06-2014, 02:17 AM   #5593
hateraid
Is it in you?

Quote:
Originally Posted by gigantes
then do the right thing, and tell them that they're full of shit.

I would say scripted, more like "encouraged" to take certain actions to promote the fight.
hateraid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2014, 01:11 PM   #5594
AlphaWolf24
Bringer of Rain

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBoss
I've been getting into MMA/UFC this past year. Can someone explain to me all the hate for Jon Jones? How is he being fake?

Fighter A fights some fights and makes a name for himself....

Fighter A develops some fans as Fighter A keeps winning/fighting good exciting fights..

Fighter A keeps winning and keeps gaining fans until Fighter A beats Fighter B and becomes Champion...

Fighter B's fans are pissed Fighter A beat Fighter B

Fighter B's fans find every flaw with Fighter A to mask the fact that Fighter A beat Fighter B

fighter C comes along...

Fighter C fights some fights and makes a name for himself....

Fighter C develops some fans as Fighter C keeps winning/fighting good exciting fights..

Fighter C keeps winning and keeps gaining fans until Fighter C beats Fighter A and becomes Champion...

well you get the point
AlphaWolf24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2014, 09:11 PM   #5595
ArbitraryWater
Kobe Polanski

http://www.mmafighting.com/2014/8/8/...ge-before-espn

When will this fight be? Me wanna see
ArbitraryWater is online now   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: