Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Off the Court Lounge

Off the Court Lounge Basketball fans talk about everything EXCEPT basketball here

Old 11-14-2011, 03:11 PM   #631
Real Men Wear Green
Your ad here

Default Re: MMA Discussion/News thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by raiderfan19
Fedor.

If you mean ufc, the closest i can think of was tim sylvia
I was more referring to UFC, but thank you nonetheless.
Real Men Wear Green is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2011, 06:38 PM   #632
ErhnamDjinn
“Homo homini lupus est

Quote:
Originally Posted by raiderfan19
Fedor.

If you mean ufc, the closest i can think of was tim sylvia
yup Fedor almost 1 decade undefeated well technically if you dont count the TK fight. So shocking he actually lost 3 straight and one to a small LHW.
ErhnamDjinn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2011, 10:20 PM   #633
jamal99
Valar Morghulis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Real Men Wear Green
Has anyone ever had a long reign on top of the heavyweight division?
Fedor was undefeated for 10 years.
The Last Emperor!
jamal99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2011, 10:33 PM   #634
jamal99
Valar Morghulis

Quote:
Originally Posted by ErhnamDjinn
yup Fedor almost 1 decade undefeated well technically if you dont count the TK fight. So shocking he actually lost 3 straight and one to a small LHW.
1st one was really stupid, Fedor is much better fighter than Werdum. Other 2 were sadly legit, Bigfoot had significant size advantage and Hendo caught him with his powerful right...
Now I hope he destroys Monson and goes back on track.
jamal99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2011, 12:13 AM   #635
gigantes
A piece of fluff

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamal99
1st one was really stupid, Fedor is much better fighter than Werdum. Other 2 were sadly legit, Bigfoot had significant size advantage and Hendo caught him with his powerful right...
i'm not sure i agree that fedor is a much better fighter than werdum at this point. OTOH, i don't think fedor is anywhere as 'done' as i had previously believed:

i re-watched the fedor-bigfoot fight the other night and kind of got a reality check- fedor can actually still throw those unholy looping bombs just as well as ever. in the 1st round, bigfoot was nimble enough to dance back just before getting clobbered 95% of the time, but you can still see how fast and lethal that round punch is coming from fedor. with his somewhat long arms and short stature, he does an amazing job of using his torso as a 'twirling base' for his incredibly fast roundhouses to explode off towards a target. very different from a cormier, who is similar in several ways to fedor, but who seemed to get in his less-explosive, more technically sound shots from a boxer's POV. i.e., more straight shots and power shots from inside, not outside. which is what bigfoot couldn't deal with, obviously.

dunno how much of that makes sense, but the bottom line seems to be "it's complicated." fedor lost to one guy who basically suckered him into his superb submission game, and a light HW who played a pretty amazing escape trick from underneath and who is probably quicker than fedor, anyway. still, the only guy he lost to that i'm not sure how he can beat is bigfoot. i.e., fedor's strikes can't reach him, and the nogueira-trained big guy probably has the better overall ground game, too.

fedor is still fedor, but the technique of the sport has kind of caught up with him at this point. for every particular skill in the sport there is a HW fighter who does that thing better, outside of his amazingly explosive strikes from a small HW.

so fedor is in reality a top ten HW IMO, and once he gets a couple wins back under him that will be an easy call to make. what won't be so easy is getting back into SF and the UFC. dana white despises fedor's management team for past tactics, and no matter how good you are, the very emotional dana white is pretty much in control of MMA these days.
gigantes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2011, 02:15 AM   #636
Jackass18
The Iron Price

Quote:
Originally Posted by Real Men Wear Green
Has anyone ever had a long reign on top of the heavyweight division?

History of all of their belts: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_UFC_champions

Nobody has defended the UFC HW belt more than twice.
Jackass18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2011, 08:31 AM   #637
ErhnamDjinn
“Homo homini lupus est

Quote:
Originally Posted by gigantes
i'm not sure i agree that fedor is a much better fighter than werdum at this point. OTOH, i don't think fedor is anywhere as 'done' as i had previously believed:

i re-watched the fedor-bigfoot fight the other night and kind of got a reality check- fedor can actually still throw those unholy looping bombs just as well as ever. in the 1st round, bigfoot was nimble enough to dance back just before getting clobbered 95% of the time, but you can still see how fast and lethal that round punch is coming from fedor. with his somewhat long arms and short stature, he does an amazing job of using his torso as a 'twirling base' for his incredibly fast roundhouses to explode off towards a target. very different from a cormier, who is similar in several ways to fedor, but who seemed to get in his less-explosive, more technically sound shots from a boxer's POV. i.e., more straight shots and power shots from inside, not outside. which is what bigfoot couldn't deal with, obviously.

dunno how much of that makes sense, but the bottom line seems to be "it's complicated." fedor lost to one guy who basically suckered him into his superb submission game, and a light HW who played a pretty amazing escape trick from underneath and who is probably quicker than fedor, anyway. still, the only guy he lost to that i'm not sure how he can beat is bigfoot. i.e., fedor's strikes can't reach him, and the nogueira-trained big guy probably has the better overall ground game, too.

fedor is still fedor, but the technique of the sport has kind of caught up with him at this point. for every particular skill in the sport there is a HW fighter who does that thing better, outside of his amazingly explosive strikes from a small HW.

so fedor is in reality a top ten HW IMO, and once he gets a couple wins back under him that will be an easy call to make. what won't be so easy is getting back into SF and the UFC. dana white despises fedor's management team for past tactics, and no matter how good you are, the very emotional dana white is pretty much in control of MMA these days.
actually lorenzo fertitta offered fedor a ufc contract albeit smaller and without the
Co promotion after his loss to Dan, but they still insisted on co promotion so that shut the door on that. Fedor needs to expand his training cant train with just friends he may also want to move to lhw although he will probably lose the speed advantage .
ErhnamDjinn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2011, 01:36 PM   #638
goldenboy_smith
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brujesino
Also

lol @ this pic
goldenboy_smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2011, 03:41 PM   #639
Brujesino
Stephen Kerry

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldenboy_smith
lol @ this pic
Brujesino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2011, 08:39 PM   #640
gigantes
A piece of fluff

Quote:
Originally Posted by ErhnamDjinn
actually lorenzo fertitta offered fedor a ufc contract albeit smaller and without the
Co promotion after his loss to Dan, but they still insisted on co promotion so that shut the door on that. Fedor needs to expand his training cant train with just friends he may also want to move to lhw although he will probably lose the speed advantage .
is that right? so this was just before DW decided to kick fedor out of SF and trash him publically? if so, talk about suicidal strategy on M1 global's part...

and about the idea of fedor fighting at LHW, it still goes back to the issue of where? i mean, fedor is 35 now, maybe with a couple years left fighting at the same level. that's around 4-6 fights left to prove anything outside of zuffa MMA. and by the time he might possibly, finally get into the UFC, i really question how much time he'd have left in the tank. many would say the tank is already running low...

really sucks that M1G negotiated so hardass against zuffa when there was the possibility of setting up fedor - lesnar. because fedor probably would have won that fight, in hindsight.
gigantes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2011, 01:16 AM   #641
The Macho Man
Randy Savage

http://watch.tsn.ca/#clip569248

Chael Interview on some Canadian show
The Macho Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2011, 01:27 AM   #642
Brujesino
Stephen Kerry

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Macho Man

Just about to post this.

The dude clearly doesnt know shit about MMA and is a GSP ******ger.Couldnt even pronounce jiu jitsu and then couldnt pronounce Nogueira so he just starting calling them "The Brothers".
Brujesino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2011, 02:56 AM   #643
vinsane01
National High School Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Macho Man

Chael is there to entertain fans, on and off the octagon. The interviewer should know better not to over-criticize and over-analyze whatever chael is saying.

Plus, Chael got pissed off immediately since the guy didnt research about him enough. Most fans already know that chael's offer is not up for grabs anymore. So why ask him that? That said, it looks like chael was having a bad day and i dont think he'll get riled up and upset so easily by such an interview in any other day.
vinsane01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2011, 04:51 PM   #644
Kobe Jnr
Banned

Guess we wont see Silva V Sonnen till mid nest year. Silva's shoulder..

Anyone have a link or torrent for bellator 58? I can't find it, and everyone's saying the main event was a classic. I vant to see it!
Kobe Jnr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2011, 04:53 PM   #645
jaydacris
Rose

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kobe Jnr
Guess we wont see Silva V Sonnen till mid nest year. Silva's shoulder..

Anyone have a link or torrent for bellator 58? I can't find it, and everyone's saying the main event was a classic. I vant to see it!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=HziG9DBfJf0

jaydacris is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: