Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Off the Court Lounge

Off the Court Lounge Basketball fans talk about everything EXCEPT basketball here

Old 01-08-2012, 01:04 AM   #856
B-Low
The Love B-Low

Default Re: MMA Discussion/News thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qwyjibo
It would be a shame to have Jardine win here. He's been getting these big fights simply because there hasn't been anyone else to go with.

Shame avoided.
B-Low is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2012, 01:07 AM   #857
Qwyjibo
Yankee.Hotel.Foxtrot

Quote:
Originally Posted by B-Low
Shame avoided.
Yep. All is right in the MMA world. At least for tonight.
Qwyjibo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2012, 01:19 AM   #858
B-Low
The Love B-Low

watchin Rampage/Jon Jones on FuelTV now. Crazy seein the difference in production quality between the two lol. I wonder how much UFC is gonna help out Strikeforce's production value.
Old 01-08-2012, 01:24 AM   #859
Brujesino
Stephen Kerry

Quote:
watchin Rampage/Jon Jones on FuelTV now. Crazy seein the difference in production quality between the two lol. I wonder how much UFC is gonna help out Strikeforce's production value.
They made it worse.They took away the stage and the pyro everything is plain now.Also no hype or promotion for any of these events.
Brujesino is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2012, 01:28 AM   #860
B-Low
The Love B-Low

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brujesino
They made it worse.They took away the stage and the pyro everything is plain now.Also no hype or promotion for any of these events.

Oh damn I didnt know they used to have all that. I had never seen a full Strikeforce event, just individual matches online before. I noticed on their entrances tonight it looked like old school bingo hall ECW lol
Old 01-08-2012, 01:34 AM   #861
Brujesino
Stephen Kerry

Quote:
Oh damn I didnt know they used to have all that. I had never seen a full Strikeforce event, just individual matches online before. I noticed on their entrances tonight it looked like old school bingo hall ECW lol
Ya this event was plain as hell you could see all 163 people out in the audience.
Old 01-08-2012, 01:36 AM   #862
B-Low
The Love B-Low

So do you think SF is gonna last on its own or will the top names just get absorbed and the company folds?
Old 01-08-2012, 01:51 AM   #863
Brujesino
Stephen Kerry

They signed a 2 year contract with showtime so they will still be around.All the heavyweights are going to the UFC and it looks like the winner of the GP fights frank mir for the #1 contender for the UFC belt.

No other fighters can go to the ufc.
Old 01-13-2012, 05:05 PM   #864
The Macho Man
Randy Savage

Anderson hurt his back, will probably be out even longer.

Florian also hurt his back and may have to retire, but who cares.
The Macho Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2012, 08:10 PM   #865
B-Low
The Love B-Low

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Macho Man

Florian also hurt his back and may have to retire, but who cares.

Yeah I thought Florian already retired

On a different note though, here's a pretty interesting read from ESPN about the salaries of the UFC guys. UFC's getting HUGE over the past few years but aside from a handful of fighters, salaries aren't budging.

http://espn.go.com/espn/otl/story/_/...ainful-hit-all

Quote:
LAS VEGAS -- UFC fighters are among the toughest athletes competing in sports. Fiercely competitive, they enter the octagon knowing they could be cut, bruised or placed in submission holds that could render them temporarily unconscious. With each fight, they run the risk of suffering career-ending injuries.

But mentioning "fighter pay" to this same group of men brings forth a completely different side. They become consumed with fear. Flight instincts take over.

"Career suicide," one current fighter said when approached by "Outside the Lines" for comment.

"It would be the end of my career," said another current fighter, a former champion, when asked for an on-the-record interview about the UFC's fighter pay scale.

The men who run the Ultimate Fighting Championship are benefiting from unprecedented revenue growth -- the company purchased rival Strikeforce in March for $34 million, further tightening its stranglehold on the mixed martial arts industry. Recently, the UFC inked a seven-year deal worth a reported $100 million annually with FOX, its first significant broadcast agreement with a major network.

The UFC, $44 million in debt as recently as 2005, according to chief executive officer Lorenzo Fertitta, is today widely believed by industry insiders to be worth north of a billion dollars.

While paydays for top draws like Anderson Silva and Georges St. Pierre can run into the millions (St. Pierre recently told Agence France-Presse he earns between $4 million and $5 million per fight), entry-level fighters who compete under the banner of the UFC do so for as little as $6,000 if they fail to win their first match.

"We're basically fighting for crumbs," said one current UFC fighter, a veteran of more than a dozen years in the sport who also asked that his name be withheld for fear of reprisals from UFC management.

"The top 5 percent [of fighters] are definitely making good money, but you've got to look at the guys at the bottom of the card," the fighter said. "They can't fight anywhere else. If they make $10,000 a fight and fight every six months, they can't make ends meet."

"We're definitely not getting our fair share of the cash," said another fighter currently under contract with the UFC. A fan favorite, he, too, refused to be named, citing concerns about the reaction from UFC management.

"Any opposition, they [expletive] crush it," said the fighter. "Until somebody starts a union, we're all sort of at their mercy."

Quote:
After examining pay-per-view numbers, live gate proceeds and other revenue streams, Maysey estimates the UFC has annual revenues between $350 million and $450 million.

Yet the median per fight income for fighters remains low, between $17,000 and $23,000, figures he said he obtained from his many conversations with current fighters.

Opinions? Do you see a union forming up anytime soon?
Old 01-13-2012, 11:03 PM   #866
Qwyjibo
Yankee.Hotel.Foxtrot

Anthony Johnson missed weight by 11 pounds?

Holy shit he needs to fire whoever was preparing him for this fight. How the hell does that even happen?
Qwyjibo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2012, 12:45 AM   #867
ErhnamDjinn
“Homo homini lupus est

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qwyjibo
Anthony Johnson missed weight by 11 pounds?

Holy shit he needs to fire whoever was preparing him for this fight. How the hell does that even happen?
Yeah what a moron and he actually did that multiple times, dana said win or lose his job is on the line
ErhnamDjinn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2012, 12:55 AM   #868
vinsane01
National High School Star

11 lbs over weight in a bout where he moves one division up? I just saw his wiki page and he has had 3 catchweight fights which most likely means this is his 3rd ufc fight failing to cut appropriately. This is a must win for him, given the circumstance his in, it's reasonable to fire him if he loses.
vinsane01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2012, 08:43 AM   #869
Jackass18
The Iron Price

Quote:
Opinions? Do you see a union forming up anytime soon?

I don't see it happening anytime soon. Hell, those fighters are too scared to even speak out. They'd need some of the top guys to make a stand, but if the top guys are getting paid well, then there's not much motivation for them to make a stand (granted, they could go stand up for their teammates, but that's less motivating).
Jackass18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2012, 09:15 AM   #870
DropStep
Good High School Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Macho Man

I think father time is starting to hit Silva. Anderson Silva is 37 years old. I dont want to see him retire but i have feeling he might be retiring soon.
DropStep is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: