Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Off the Court Lounge

Off the Court Lounge Basketball fans talk about everything EXCEPT basketball here

Old 04-02-2012, 05:59 PM   #1141
Edwin
Serious playground baller

Edwin is considered somewhat coolEdwin is considered somewhat cool
Default Re: MMA Discussion/News thread

I just watched the second episode of TUF Brazil and here's some thoughts.

One of the highlights of the show was Wanderlei talking about Pepey's hair being a copy of Neymar's hair. Good stuff.

Galeto's little speech about his family and being a champion is only part of life was very emotional. He's a very emotional dude as seen.

Pepey vs. Galeto wasn't much to write about, both guys just tried to play it safe. I liked how Pepey looked after his preliminary win and Galeto really made me start liking him after his speech, but they really tried to play it safe for the most part and just try and get a clean safe win.

I have high hopes for this season, so hopefully the next episode is better than this one.
Edwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 12:39 PM   #1142
Edwin

The upcoming May Strikeforce card will have Barnett vs. Cormier in the Strikeforce HWGP Final, Melendez vs. Thomson 3 for the Strikeforce Lightweight Title, Feijao vs. Kyle II, Nah-Shon Burrell vs. Bobby Voelker and Gian Villante vs. Derrick Mehmen.

Outside of Barnett vs. Cormier, this card is really weak, but that's not surprising, since Strikeforce's roster is really thin.

I'm going to sound redundant and repetitive, but Strikeforce should just be absorbed completely by the UFC. I want fighters like Barnett, Cormier, Melendez, etc. already fight top competition in the UFC instead of just fighting each other and then fighting unranked fighters in Strikeforce.
Old 04-03-2012, 01:13 PM   #1143
AlphaWolf24
Bringer of Rain

AlphaWolf24 has decent reputationAlphaWolf24 has decent reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edwin
The upcoming May Strikeforce card will have Barnett vs. Cormier in the Strikeforce HWGP Final, Melendez vs. Thomson 3 for the Strikeforce Lightweight Title, Feijao vs. Kyle II, Nah-Shon Burrell vs. Bobby Voelker and Gian Villante vs. Derrick Mehmen.

Outside of Barnett vs. Cormier, this card is really weak, but that's not surprising, since Strikeforce's roster is really thin.

I'm going to sound redundant and repetitive, but Strikeforce should just be absorbed completely by the UFC. I want fighters like Barnett, Cormier, Melendez, etc. already fight top competition in the UFC instead of just fighting each other and then fighting unranked fighters in Strikeforce.

they will become the "UFC" they had previous contracts with Showtime ..once those are over they will become UFC.
AlphaWolf24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 06:17 PM   #1144
Jackass18
The Iron Price

Jackass18 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJackass18 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJackass18 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJackass18 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJackass18 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJackass18 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJackass18 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJackass18 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJackass18 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJackass18 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJackass18 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

I was hoping they'd send a UFC guy over to fight Melendez.
Jackass18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 07:02 PM   #1145
Pointguard
NBA sixth man of the year

Pointguard is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterPointguard is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterPointguard is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterPointguard is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterPointguard is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterPointguard is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterPointguard is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterPointguard is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterPointguard is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterPointguard is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterPointguard is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackass18

I'll be rooting for Wolverine
He was knocked out on the first elbow. Ref was a bit late.
Pointguard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 10:06 PM   #1146
gigantes
A piece of fluff

gigantes is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegigantes is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegigantes is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegigantes is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegigantes is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegigantes is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegigantes is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegigantes is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegigantes is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegigantes is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegigantes is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

one day before i die i need the right person to hold my hand and help me get excited about professional wrestling. it's not that i want to be a snob, it's more like i keep failing to find a way to take it seriously.

the other night, Brockle Snar made his return to fake wrestling after eight years and many writers said the moment was "electric":
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vZBhU...layer_embedded

i definitely got piqued reading the description, then i watched the video. 78,000 arrested adolescents going nuts watching two guys performing in slow motion with their scripts practically hanging out of their back pockets. what is actually interesting about that? i still just fail to get it.

on a side note, i do find some interesting angles- does brock look smaller physically and a little more gray in the face these days? is he happier knowing that he makes an easy third of a mil for every one of these kayfabe appearances and that he doesn't have to risk his face getting smashed in? is he going to cause the fake wrestling organisers as many headaches with his prima donna behavior as he did the first time around?

immediately afterwards i had to rewatch the brock vs. AO fight to bring me back to reality. and well, i still don't understand WTF he was thinking trying to fight on his feet against alistair- that fight would have been perfect for the charge-and-takedown approach he used against cain, because no way would AO have pulled the slick escape-off-his-back routine the way cain did. and granted, any time you charge alistair you're risking a deadly knee to the face, but for fighters of a certain style i think that's a risk you just have to take. also, with brock's midsection being as touchy as it was... again, why try to fight on the feet?

re-watching that fight also made overeem's performance look a lot less special, particularly with the JDS fight coming up. i mean, AO's main positive accomplishment against brock was his use of deadly muay thai knees. but he definitely did not look very precise or dangerous with his arm striking. fact is, replaying the fight, he looked just as useless in that area as he did against werdum. so right now i'm just not seeing how that's going to succeed against JDS, who is a murderously-efficient MMA boxer / puncher. a guy who's probably not going to ever let AO get in to his middle leg-striking game.

okay, there's my pointless MMA ramble for the month.
gigantes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 11:38 PM   #1147
Edwin

I used to be a big Pro-Wrestling fan and I used to not like MMA. I watched a lot of Pro-Wrestling as a kid and when I grew up and had access to the Internet, I began watching Japanese Pro-Wrestling. MMA fighters fought in Japanese Pro-Wrestling and Pro-Wrestlers fought in PRIDE and DEEP and that's where my interest in MMA began, but I didn't really care that much.

Once I began to get interested in MMA and the quality of Pro-Wrestling declined, I began to lose interest in Pro-Wrestling and gaining interest in MMA. Now I have no interest in Pro-Wrestling and I like MMA.

Pro-Wrestling is enjoyable in small doses. To enjoy Pro-Wrestling you have to keep in mind that it's fake, so don't expect the wrestlers to shoot on each other. That's why most MMA fans despise Pro-Wrestling, because they want the guys to shoot on each other and they lose the enjoyment of Pro-Wrestling.

I really hope you can understand what I'm trying to get at. I think it's pretty clear though. Have fun. Yeah that is really all for now.

Last edited by Edwin : 04-03-2012 at 11:40 PM.
Old 04-04-2012, 12:00 AM   #1148
B-Low
The Love B-Low

B-Low is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableB-Low is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableB-Low is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableB-Low is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableB-Low is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableB-Low is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableB-Low is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableB-Low is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableB-Low is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableB-Low is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableB-Low is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edwin
I used to be a big Pro-Wrestling fan and I used to not like MMA. I watched a lot of Pro-Wrestling as a kid and when I grew up and had access to the Internet, I began watching Japanese Pro-Wrestling. MMA fighters fought in Japanese Pro-Wrestling and Pro-Wrestlers fought in PRIDE and DEEP and that's where my interest in MMA began, but I didn't really care that much.

Once I began to get interested in MMA and the quality of Pro-Wrestling declined, I began to lose interest in Pro-Wrestling and gaining interest in MMA. Now I have no interest in Pro-Wrestling and I like MMA.

Pro-Wrestling is enjoyable in small doses. To enjoy Pro-Wrestling you have to keep in mind that it's fake, so don't expect the wrestlers to shoot on each other. That's why most MMA fans despise Pro-Wrestling, because they want the guys to shoot on each other and they lose the enjoyment of Pro-Wrestling.

I really hope you can understand what I'm trying to get at. I think it's pretty clear though. Have fun. Yeah that is really all for now.

I still watch WWE and UFC. In fact the only series I have set on my DVR are WWE Raw, WWE Smackdown, UFC Unleashed, UFC Tonight, UFC Ultimate Insider and Ultimate Fighter.

There was actually an article on ESPN a while ago about how WWE fans resent MMA and MMA fans resent WWE and how ridiculous the whole thing is. Honestly a good amount of UFC fighters will say that they love pro wrestling and a good amount of pro wreslers will say they love UFC (Look in the crowd at the events and you'll see guys like JR, Stone Cold, Goldberg, Taker etc).

I never got why people say "I don't watch wrestling I watch UFC instead" or vice versa when they don't share a single time slot...even their PPV's are on different nights. Like you said if you take each one for what it is, then there's absolutely no reason why people can't just sit back and enjoy both. Pretty much anytime someone that likes MMA mentions WWE they specifically call it "fake WWE" or "fake wrestling".

It's 2012 nobody thinks it's real, at all. 10 year olds know it's fake, women know it's fake, grown men know its fake. It's a performing art, just like watching a play on stage or a gymnastics routine. It's not a sport, it's a form of entertainment.

Saying "I don't get how people can watch that stuff" and "I don't get the appeal" actually echoes a lot of the opinions that I hear MMA critics give. I've had dozens upon dozens of people ask me "How can you watch two guys roll around hugging each other on the ground trying to mount each other? That's the gayest thing I've ever seen". Fans of the sport know that there's more to it than that, just like fans of pro wrestling know that there's more to it than "just two guys in their underwear play fighting."
B-Low is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2012, 12:15 AM   #1149
Edwin

Some MMA fighters who enjoy Pro-Wrestling are:

Josh Barnett who wrestles in IGF in Japan, has wrestled for other promotions in Japan like New Japan Pro-Wrestling and acts like a wrestler in interviews. Spencer Fisher who acts like Ric Flair after his fights he wins, likes Ric Flair and likes Pro-Wrestling. Tank Abbot wrestled in WCW. Tito Ortiz who appeared in TNA. Minowaman who has wrestled in the Japanese MMA promotion DEEP, wrestles as Tiger Mask V, wrestles in IGF in Japan. Kazushi Sakuraba I think explains himself. Katsuyori Shibata see above. Tim Sylvia has wrestled in IGF in Japan. Don Frye has wrestled in New Japan Pro-Wrestling. Dan Severn used to wrestle in WWF. Ken Shamrock see above. Bas Rutten wrestled in New Japan Pro-Wrestling. Mark Coleman has wrestled in IGF in Japan. Kevin Randleman has wrestled in IGF in Japan.

There's a ton more, but those are the ones I can remember off the top of my head.
Old 04-04-2012, 12:17 AM   #1150
B-Low
The Love B-Low

B-Low is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableB-Low is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableB-Low is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableB-Low is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableB-Low is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableB-Low is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableB-Low is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableB-Low is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableB-Low is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableB-Low is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableB-Low is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Also Rampage has said he wanted to give WWE a try at some point, and Chael Sonnen/CM Punk are really good friends. If you remember Punk was supposed to be in Sonnen's corner at his fight in Feb but couldn't make it, and Sonnen attended the WWE PPV that same weekend and was in the front row
Old 04-04-2012, 12:27 AM   #1151
gigantes
A piece of fluff

gigantes is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegigantes is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegigantes is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegigantes is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegigantes is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegigantes is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegigantes is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegigantes is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegigantes is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegigantes is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegigantes is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

very nice posts. i guess i'll keep trying to be open-minded and see what happens, then.

regarding this:
Quote:
How can you watch two guys roll around hugging each other on the ground trying to mount each other? That's the gayest thing I've ever seen.
you know, all i can advise such people is: good luck stepping away from your video console and meme pics one day and getting in to a real fight in the real world. let me know how it works out for you calling someone "gay" when you're fighting them tooth and nail, body on body.
Old 04-04-2012, 12:48 AM   #1152
Brujesino
Someone buy me a PS4

Brujesino is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableBrujesino is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableBrujesino is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableBrujesino is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableBrujesino is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableBrujesino is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableBrujesino is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableBrujesino is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableBrujesino is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableBrujesino is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableBrujesino is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:
Originally Posted by gigantes
very nice posts. i guess i'll keep trying to be open-minded and see what happens, then.

regarding this:

you know, all i can advise such people is: good luck stepping away from your video console and meme pics one day and getting in to a real fight in the real world. let me know how it works out for you calling someone "gay" when you're fighting them tooth and nail, body on body.
Sounds gay.
Brujesino is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2012, 01:53 AM   #1153
B-Low
The Love B-Low

Quote:
Originally Posted by gigantes

regarding this:

Right i tell people the same thing. It's a fight, and if you have to pin them down to win the fight then you do that. I think people are just so used to boxing in America that anything outside of punches is considered weird in fighting. It ties in with my point that I was making though, that people who UNDERSTAND the UFC/MMA know that there's more to it. Calling MMA "gay" just shows a lack of understanding for the actual sport, just like calling pro wrestling "grown men play fighting in their underwear" shows a lack of understanding for that specific form of entertainment.

There's so many more layers to both MMA and pro wrestling than anyone is willing to learn, and both get a bad rap with non-fans because of those layers. Granted one is scripted entertainment and the other is pure sport and competition, but the similarities in hate that both industries get is pretty damn close. The fans of the two sports are a lot more alike than they'd like to admit even though they're on two complete opposite ends of the spectrum. Both feature world class athletes who take YEARS off their lives trying to make a living, and both are misunderstood by a public who judges the industry from the outside rather than taking the time to learn the details and appreciate the art, whether it's martial arts or performing arts.
Old 04-04-2012, 02:15 AM   #1154
Brujesino
Someone buy me a PS4

Brujesino is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableBrujesino is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableBrujesino is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableBrujesino is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableBrujesino is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableBrujesino is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableBrujesino is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableBrujesino is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableBrujesino is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableBrujesino is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableBrujesino is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:
Originally Posted by B-Low
Right i tell people the same thing. It's a fight, and if you have to pin them down to win the fight then you do that. I think people are just so used to boxing in America that anything outside of punches is considered weird in fighting. It ties in with my point that I was making though, that people who UNDERSTAND the UFC/MMA know that there's more to it. Calling MMA "gay" just shows a lack of understanding for the actual sport, just like calling pro wrestling "grown men play fighting in their underwear" shows a lack of understanding for that specific form of entertainment.

Then dont get mad when people start calling the sport gay when one man lays on top of the other because as you say all hes doing is pinning him down and not doing anything else.

Personally as a person who has trained a bit, i dont consider pinning someone down a fight.
Brujesino is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2012, 02:36 AM   #1155
gigantes
A piece of fluff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brujesino
Sounds gay.
welcome to reality. hope you enjoy your stay.

Quote:
Originally Posted by B-Low

There's so many more layers to both MMA and pro wrestling than anyone is willing to learn, and both get a bad rap with non-fans because of those layers. Granted one is scripted entertainment and the other is pure sport and competition, but the similarities in hate that both industries get is pretty damn close. The fans of the two sports are a lot more alike than they'd like to admit even though they're on two complete opposite ends of the spectrum. Both feature world class athletes who take YEARS off their lives trying to make a living, and both are misunderstood by a public who judges the industry from the outside rather than taking the time to learn the details and appreciate the art, whether it's martial arts or performing arts.
yea, you're probably right. well said.
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: