Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Off the Court Lounge

Off the Court Lounge Basketball fans talk about everything EXCEPT basketball here

Old 05-20-2012, 09:38 AM   #1351
MeloMike
Nugz/Melo/Habs/Jays

MeloMike has decent reputationMeloMike has decent reputation
Default Re: MMA Discussion/News thread

I am a Barnett fan, but Cormier impressed the hell out of me in that fight.

One fight then title shot I hope if he goes to the UFC. Guy is athletic as hell. Some of those slams were awesome, just rag dolled Barnett.
MeloMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2012, 08:33 PM   #1352
gigantes
A piece of fluff

gigantes is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegigantes is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegigantes is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegigantes is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegigantes is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegigantes is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegigantes is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegigantes is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegigantes is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegigantes is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegigantes is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Any opinion on how far Cormier can go in the UFC? Any opinion re: Barnett?

Personally I tag them around the 3 - 6 range, jockeying with the likes of Mir and Werdum. (No Overeem, no Carwin in that equation)

Any opinion on how good Gil Melendez really is? Better than Bendo, Edgar, Nate...?

Last edited by gigantes : 05-20-2012 at 08:37 PM.
gigantes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2012, 09:17 PM   #1353
jamal99
Valar Morghulis

jamal99 has an incredible reputation herejamal99 has an incredible reputation herejamal99 has an incredible reputation herejamal99 has an incredible reputation herejamal99 has an incredible reputation herejamal99 has an incredible reputation here

Quote:
Originally Posted by gigantes
Any opinion on how good Gil Melendez really is? Better than Bendo, Edgar, Nate...?
He is good, that's for suer, but it is hard to tell how good because he isn't facing top competition right now.
I think that he would be able to beat those guys you listed, but he could lose as well. So, we'll just have to wait and see...
jamal99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2012, 09:38 PM   #1354
Edwin
Serious playground baller

Edwin is considered somewhat coolEdwin is considered somewhat cool

If Thomson almost rear naked choked Melendez and almost beat him, Henderson and Edgar would beat him.

Nate won't be fighting him as they're both from the Cesar Gracie Jiu-Jitsu training camp, but if they did, Melendez would probably beat him as Nate similar to his brother don't have good takedown defense.

Cormier and Barnett could be top 5 Heavyweights in the UFC easily. I think Cormier would only lose to Dos Santos but would beat every other Heavyweight.

Barnett would probably be able to beat most Heavyweights also.

Last edited by Edwin : 05-20-2012 at 09:47 PM.
Edwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 12:51 AM   #1355
Jackass18
The Iron Price

Jackass18 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJackass18 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJackass18 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJackass18 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJackass18 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJackass18 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJackass18 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJackass18 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJackass18 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJackass18 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJackass18 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edwin
If Thomson almost rear naked choked Melendez and almost beat him, Henderson and Edgar would beat him.

Nate won't be fighting him as they're both from the Cesar Gracie Jiu-Jitsu training camp, but if they did, Melendez would probably beat him as Nate similar to his brother don't have good takedown defense.

Cormier and Barnett could be top 5 Heavyweights in the UFC easily. I think Cormier would only lose to Dos Santos but would beat every other Heavyweight.

Barnett would probably be able to beat most Heavyweights also.

Can't say I really agree with any of that. The LW division is hard to call, and Thomson is underrated. Just because Melendez had a close fight with Thomson doesn't mean he'd automatically lose to Henderson and Edgar. Too early to say for Cormier. I think Velasquez (granted, they probably wouldn't fight each other) and Overeem beat him with stand up, and guys like Werdum and Mir could possibly sub him. As for Barnett, Cormier is the only top level HW he's faced in the past 5 years. The HW division is too much of a guessing game.
Jackass18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 06:39 AM   #1356
Edwin
Serious playground baller

Edwin is considered somewhat coolEdwin is considered somewhat cool

I mean, Melendez probably had an off night and everyone does, but I just don't think he's someone to beat the top UFC Lightweights. The UFC has a ton of good Lightweight wrestlers with better striking than Melendez. Also it's kind of hard to compare how Melendez will do against the top UFC Lightweights as he hasn't really fought any top ranked Lightweights. Don't get me wrong, Masvidal, Thomson, Kawajiri, Ishida, etc. are super talented and fun to watch, but they're not top ranked Lightweights.

Cormier's got the tools to beat Overeem, Werdum and Mir.

When fighting a stand up fighter like Overeem, Cormier just has to continuously take him down and grind out a decision.

When fighting guys like Werdum and Mir who are submission based fighters, Cormier just has to do what he did to Barnett, stop the fighting from getting to the ground and keep it standing and strike with them.

I know it's easier said than done, but those are just strategies that Cormier can use against those guys.
Edwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 06:09 PM   #1357
gigantes
A piece of fluff

gigantes is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegigantes is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegigantes is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegigantes is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegigantes is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegigantes is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegigantes is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegigantes is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegigantes is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegigantes is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegigantes is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

i think people are still underestimating cormier's boxing a little bit. not only is his striking power and speed reminiscent of prime fedor (probably even more sound technically) but he has a really interesting and highly effective defensive system... almost diaz-like with the open arm positions. his fights are very interesting to watch just for the defense alone IMO.

given the speed and skill differential, i don't think overeem, werdum or most others outside JDS would be able to touch him with their hands. just a guess, but i'm thinking muay thai / kickboxing might be the best way to get him in trouble...
Old 05-21-2012, 06:43 PM   #1358
jaydacris
Rose

jaydacris is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablejaydacris is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablejaydacris is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablejaydacris is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablejaydacris is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablejaydacris is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablejaydacris is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablejaydacris is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablejaydacris is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablejaydacris is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablejaydacris is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Hopefully Cormier gets his hand situation looked at. Broke his hand in each of his last two fights.
jaydacris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 07:35 PM   #1359
Brujesino
Someone buy me a PS4

Brujesino is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableBrujesino is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableBrujesino is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableBrujesino is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableBrujesino is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableBrujesino is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableBrujesino is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableBrujesino is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableBrujesino is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableBrujesino is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableBrujesino is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:
Originally Posted by gigantes
i think people are still underestimating cormier's boxing a little bit. not only is his striking power and speed reminiscent of prime fedor (probably even more sound technically) but he has a really interesting and highly effective defensive system... almost diaz-like with the open arm positions. his fights are very interesting to watch just for the defense alone IMO.

given the speed and skill differential, i don't think overeem, werdum or most others outside JDS would be able to touch him with their hands. just a guess, but i'm thinking muay thai / kickboxing might be the best way to get him in trouble...
I know it just your opinion but have to disagree with most of it.

1.Cormiers striking power a prime fedors?Nah he doesnt have much power in his hands i know he ko'd bigfoot BUT it was the speed of the punches.Sometimes speed is power but as far just one hit power?Nah,not close to fedor.Speed yes and technically i agree hes better then fedor.

2.Cormier's defense?Hes moves in good angles but its not really all that great.I thought Barnetts defense was much better.

Also as a Diaz fan.Nick probably has the worst defensive boxing ever he literally puts his face out there so it gets hit.He doesnt use angles either he just comes straight at you and he puts his hands in the air as a way to taunt you.His defense is his offense he puts his face out there so you can punch it so he can counter you with 3 or 4 body punches.

agree to disagree i guess
Brujesino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 07:39 PM   #1360
jamal99
Valar Morghulis

jamal99 has an incredible reputation herejamal99 has an incredible reputation herejamal99 has an incredible reputation herejamal99 has an incredible reputation herejamal99 has an incredible reputation herejamal99 has an incredible reputation here

Nick Diaz got 12 months suspension for weed, but Overeem got 9 months for steroids. **** that...
Old 05-21-2012, 07:43 PM   #1361
Kobe Jnr
Banned

Kobe Jnr is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableKobe Jnr is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableKobe Jnr is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableKobe Jnr is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableKobe Jnr is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableKobe Jnr is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableKobe Jnr is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableKobe Jnr is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableKobe Jnr is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableKobe Jnr is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableKobe Jnr is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

AC "Mr Diaz you tested positive several yrs ago for Marijuana and you told the Commission at that time it was a isolated incident and it wouldn't happen again"

Diaz "Yes"

AC "you tested positive again so how soon after testifying did you start using again"?

Diaz "when I got home"

AC "so you just told us that to get through the hearing"?

Diaz "Yes"

Fack, 12 months just for weed.. need more fighters like him.
Kobe Jnr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 07:49 PM   #1362
Brujesino
Someone buy me a PS4

Brujesino is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableBrujesino is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableBrujesino is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableBrujesino is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableBrujesino is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableBrujesino is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableBrujesino is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableBrujesino is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableBrujesino is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableBrujesino is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableBrujesino is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamal99
Nick Diaz got 12 months suspension for weed, but Overeem got 9 months for steroids. **** that...
And sonnen is allowed to use trt
Brujesino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 11:09 PM   #1363
gigantes
A piece of fluff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brujesino
1.Cormiers striking power a prime fedors?Nah he doesnt have much power in his hands i know he ko'd bigfoot BUT it was the speed of the punches.Sometimes speed is power but as far just one hit power?Nah,not close to fedor.Speed yes and technically i agree hes better then fedor.
no no, that's why i used the word "reminiscent." cormier's not the same, but there's enough there to find some comparisons, i think. and i would definitely say that cormier has plenty of power in his speedy punches. maybe not quite fedor power, but he's rocked the chins of plenty of hulking men with a single punch. out of the blue, seemingly out of reach, like fedor used to do.

Quote:
Cormier's defense?Hes moves in good angles but its not really all that great.I thought Barnetts defense was much better.

Also as a Diaz fan.Nick probably has the worst defensive boxing ever he literally puts his face out there so it gets hit.He doesnt use angles either he just comes straight at you and he puts his hands in the air as a way to taunt you.His defense is his offense he puts his face out there so you can punch it so he can counter you with 3 or 4 body punches.
it's a complex subject. the diaz bros don't play the classical defensive boxing game, but after they've tuned in to their opponents rhythm and imposed their own, they're very hard to hurt. they may have to take a few punches in the early going, but after a little while their opponent is typically confused and frustrated as hell, given to lunging instead of technical smart striking. it's a whole different approach to defense, i guess. one that's not talked about or celebrated enough IMO.

cormier doesn't protect himself classically, but i think he's superb at reading the other fighter's intentions and slipping / turning / blocking their attacks. he looks like he's just standing there, almost napping on his feet, but he's still completely ready for you... also liable to tag you with a lightning strike just when you think it's safe to relax a tiny bit. he plays that start-and-stop rhythm superbly, just like the diaz bros do.

anyway, yea... just my opinion of course.
Old 05-23-2012, 08:04 PM   #1364
jamal99
Valar Morghulis

Watch out for this guy, biggest Serbian MMA hope. He's from my city too
http://www.sherdog.com/fighter/Bojan-Velickovic-76620

He won a local MMA reality show (with ease) and earned to fight at Ring of Fire 41 in Colorado. He prepared for the fight with American Top Team and knocked the guy out in minute and a half. He continued to work with ATT and proceeded to win his next fight in Serbia as easily as the ones before. His next fight was scheduled for June 23rd here in Serbia, but got canceled because he signed with one of the worlds biggest organizations. Still unknown which one, but I doubt it's UFC, SF isn't signing new guys afaik, so maybe Bellator?
4 out of 6 wins in 1st round, 5 subs and 1 KO, scary that he's a primarily a MT fighter.

Hector Lombard tweeted about him
https://twitter.com/HectorLombard/st...898243/photo/1
Old 05-23-2012, 10:35 PM   #1365
Jackass18
The Iron Price

Jackass18 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJackass18 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJackass18 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJackass18 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJackass18 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJackass18 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJackass18 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJackass18 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJackass18 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJackass18 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJackass18 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edwin
I mean, Melendez probably had an off night and everyone does, but I just don't think he's someone to beat the top UFC Lightweights. The UFC has a ton of good Lightweight wrestlers with better striking than Melendez. Also it's kind of hard to compare how Melendez will do against the top UFC Lightweights as he hasn't really fought any top ranked Lightweights. Don't get me wrong, Masvidal, Thomson, Kawajiri, Ishida, etc. are super talented and fun to watch, but they're not top ranked Lightweights.

Well, it's not like Ben Henderson is the most tested LW. Edgar's only faced 3 different top level LWs and he's awfully lucky to have a winning record against them.

Quote:
Cormier's got the tools to beat Overeem, Werdum and Mir.

He could win, but I wouldn't be that confident. Overeem would have a huge advantage in reach and striking, and his strength and sub skills would be a counter to Cormier's wrestling. We don't know how good Cormier's defensive sub skills are against elite grapplers. Cormier's size and lack of reach are a concern to me.

Quote:
When fighting a stand up fighter like Overeem, Cormier just has to continuously take him down and grind out a decision.

Yeah, it's just so easy, right? A bigger and stronger Lesnar did it with no problems? Avoiding those knees is easy? Not getting caught by strikes or a submission is easy?

Quote:
When fighting guys like Werdum and Mir who are submission based fighters, Cormier just has to do what he did to Barnett, stop the fighting from getting to the ground and keep it standing and strike with them.

Mir and Werdum can strike, too. Also, Barnett broke his hand early in that fight.
Jackass18 is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: