Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Off the Court Lounge

Off the Court Lounge Basketball fans talk about everything EXCEPT basketball here

Old 06-28-2012, 05:14 AM   #1456
gigantes
A piece of fluff

Default Re: MMA Discussion/News thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackass18
Can't agree. Fedor's not getting any younger and all those years he spent doing the same ol' training and not expanding caught up to him. Just look at the level of competition he chose to fight in his last 3. If he had any desire to really improve and not be so set in his ways, then he would have gone after better opponents. Fedor avoided Overeem like the plague and he avoided the UFC. Do you see the confidence in Fedor in his actions?
those are 90% just cliches, though. if you actually watch fedor's last three fights, he's clearly re-emphasized patient striking and the mindset of not over-committing himself, such as he badly fell in to during his very late career. that is, the period of time not just including his three losses, but including his very sloppy wins against rogers and arlovski.

recently i also posted a snippet and link from an extensive three-part article on fedor's very full repertoire of technique, which included an extensive examination of why he essentially began slacking off on technique (hint: it wasn't because of 'age').

all things being equal, i think it would be worth your time to read the series in question.

re: overeem,
the dude is a laughing-stock right now in the MMA community. very few fans of any top HW today feel that if their guy lost to AO that it would be a legit loss. every online community response from non-knuckleheads (i.e., sherdoggers) i've read over AO's recent vow to test himself has been a consensus guffaw. in case you missed it, that is.

there's also the fact that AO failed his conditional provision that he would remain PED-free for a period of time after the lesnar fight, which means that the AO-lesnar fight should be technically thrown out as a decision. i.e., overeem still hasn't beaten brock lesnar officially, in case that's unclear. technically lesnar probably should have won through disqualification.

and yes, i like overeem personally, but he's one of the most tainted fighters on the planet currently. JDS himself is leading the charge that the dude should not be trusted and should be subject to extraordinary testing, in case you somehow missed that also...
gigantes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2012, 06:45 AM   #1457
Jackass18
The Iron Price

Quote:
Originally Posted by gigantes
those are 90% just cliches, though. if you actually watch fedor's last three fights, he's clearly re-emphasized patient striking and the mindset of not over-committing himself, such as he badly fell in to during his very late career.

The difference is his level of competition took a big dive. Monson is mainly a grappler, Ishii is a judoka with little MMA experience, and Rizzo is getting up there in age and he hadn't fought in 2 years. All of Fedor's talk and the route he chose to take after the Hendo fight clearly point to him not having the desire nor confidence to go after the top of the division.

Quote:
re: Overeem,
the dude is a laughing-stock right now in the MMA community. very few fans of any top HW today feel that if their guy lost to AO that it would be a legit loss. every online community response from non-knuckleheads (i.e., sherdoggers) i've read over AO's recent vow to test himself has been a consensus guffaw. in case you missed it, that is.

In case you missed it, a large part of the MMA community is a joke. It's full of hypocrites, trolls and morons who turn on a fighter at the drop of a hat, and also quickly jump on a bandwagon. I pretty much gave up on most MMA forums months ago due to the overwhelming hypocrisy, stupidity and fickleness of people on them. Half the people can't even think for themselves, and many are biased to hell. I haven't found an MMA forum I would even call halfway decent. Either they're too small or they have too many trolls/morons posting. I check MMA sites daily and read some of what people say, but it's the same ol' song and dance. Wait, did you call Sherdoggers non-knuckleheads?

Quote:
and yes, i like overeem personally, but he's one of the most tainted fighters on the planet currently. JDS himself is leading the charge that the dude should not be trusted and should be subject to extraordinary testing, in case you somehow missed that also...

That's funny, all other fighters who have failed a test have been welcomed back with open arms, but for Overeem let's burn him at the stake... JDS didn't bat an eye when he fought a suspicious roider like Carwin and then there's Mir, who put on a good amount of size and muscle in a short period of time a couple years ago, and then we later find out he's on TRT... If Overeem passes all his random tests in the future, then he should be given the same respect as all other guys who pass their tests.
Jackass18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2012, 03:20 PM   #1458
AlphaWolf24
Bringer of Rain

Quote:
those are 90% just cliches, though. if you actually watch fedor's last three fights, he's clearly re-emphasized patient striking and the mindset of not over-committing himself, such as he badly fell in to during his very late career. that is, the period of time not just including his three losses, but including his very sloppy wins against rogers and arlovski.

recently i also posted a snippet and link from an extensive three-part article on fedor's very full repertoire of technique, which included an extensive examination of why he essentially began slacking off on technique (hint: it wasn't because of 'age').

all things being equal, i think it would be worth your time to read the series in question.

there's also the fact that AO failed his conditional provision that he would remain PED-free for a period of time after the lesnar fight, which means that the AO-lesnar fight should be technically thrown out as a decision. i.e., overeem still hasn't beaten brock lesnar officially, in case that's unclear. technically lesnar probably should have won through disqualification.

so do you think Stephan Bonnar and Vitor Belfort should also?.....heck even Dan Henderson is on PED's but has a doctor slip ...as do countless other fighters.

Brock Lesnar has been caught with buckets of PED's in vehicle...you really think he never used?

anyone who has followed AO's career knows he was on PED's....and even if he wasn't he would have still beat Lesnar rather easily.

Last edited by AlphaWolf24 : 06-28-2012 at 03:23 PM.
AlphaWolf24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2012, 11:56 PM   #1459
gigantes
A piece of fluff

no, those are all good points, definitely. i am in no way, shape or form the answer man for this stuff.

as i see it, our whole sport of choice is being more and more raked over the coals due to these PED issues. i think they're just not going to go away until someone necesssary gets off their ass or collective ass and does something useful on the accredited, regular testing front. whether that's DW or someone else, i don't know. i sure don't have any confidence in the nevada board with the way they've bungled decisions and judge oversights the past year, that's for sure.
Old 06-30-2012, 04:37 AM   #1460
Jackass18
The Iron Price

There's still the TRT issue.
Old 07-01-2012, 07:55 PM   #1461
gigantes
A piece of fluff

Quote:
There's still the TRT issue.
Which is a beaucoups weird issue as i understand it. I mean, apparently when a guy starts taking testosterone for any legit or semi-legit reason at all, his testes permanently go in to reduced production mode and he's pretty-much forced to take the stuff the rest of his life. Which is maybe part of why so many pro wrestlers are in such dreadful shape during what should be their gravy years of hoisting fishing poles on Lake Placid. *shrug*

For Sonnen and a bunch of well-known names, what it seems to really come down to is a way to turn their 30-yr old T production in to the same as a 21-yr old. Too many doctors are willng to sign off on that scrip, but shouldn't someone else be willing to put their foot down, like Roy Nelson? Did you see what he pledged to do to fix this whole issue?

Not sure how you feel about the issue, but I kind of like how the issue is being tackled by the fighters themselves.

Agree / disagree / don't care?

Last edited by gigantes : 07-01-2012 at 09:01 PM.
Old 07-02-2012, 08:25 AM   #1462
Jackass18
The Iron Price

I found this article interesting: http://www.mmafighting.com/ufc/2012/...onfuse-us-even
Old 07-02-2012, 09:37 AM   #1463
heyhey
stay mad golden state

Quote:

don't you think that can be attributed to him fighting Monson, Ishii and 40+ Rizzo? there aren't many modern HWs who wouldn't look like prime crocop on the feet against those guys.

Quote:

now that's funny.
heyhey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2012, 04:17 PM   #1464
jaydacris
Rose

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0HDUN...1&feature=plcp

ufc 148 pre fight press conference between silva and sonnen...

saturday cant come soon enough...

watch silva at the end, he's already trying to scrap, dana white holding back silva

Last edited by jaydacris : 07-03-2012 at 04:20 PM.
jaydacris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2012, 05:25 AM   #1465
dkmwise
Local High School Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaydacris
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0HDUN...1&feature=plcp

ufc 148 pre fight press conference between silva and sonnen...

saturday cant come soon enough...

watch silva at the end, he's already trying to scrap, dana white holding back silva

So excited for this fight. I think i'm going to have to watch the countdown show again before Saturday
dkmwise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2012, 05:29 AM   #1466
ClutchOver9000
#Knickstape

Sonnen has the pro-wrestling heel shtick down to a tee. I personally find him very annoying.

Anyway, cant wait for UFC 148, gonna be a bloodbath I think...
ClutchOver9000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2012, 12:44 AM   #1467
gigantes
A piece of fluff

Quote:
Originally Posted by heyhey
don't you think that can be attributed to him fighting Monson, Ishii and 40+ Rizzo? there aren't many modern HWs who wouldn't look like prime crocop on the feet against those guys.
i get how the level of competition was lower in his last three fights but i think that the names of his competition are a bit of a red herring. i mean, biggest thing i keyed on in his last three fights were his actual current speed and power. and amazingly, those two things in particular seemed remarkably similar to fedor's prime speed and power.

the real issue IMO came down to style- whether fedor chooses to be classic fedor, as in 'rock you on the feet and then jump in to your guard for the dramatic finish', or whether he chooses to pick you apart from outside (more boringly) with his extensive standing skill set. i mean, both werdum and hendo don't come off very well in the latter scenerio, you know? at least that's my opinion.

i think all it takes (for some fighters) is a difference in philosophy. for example, when anderson silva starting fighting as a counter-puncher, he more or less became invincible. his skillset didn't change that much, but his philosophy did. that was huge.

if carlos condit had chosen to play the diaz bros' game against nick, i think he very possibly would have gotten embarrassed, as good as a fighter as he is. he did the right thing IMO even though the macho-types put him down so much.

wanderlai silva would quite possibly have been an even better, even more successful legend if he'd utilised more selective aggression instead of aiming to please the fans. he wouldn't be as popular with less standing-and-trading of course, but with his overall talent he might have reversed a few blemishes on his record.

at the same time, i draw the line at guida versus maynard. i hope we can all agree on that one. there's got to be a point when a man stands up and acts like he's in an actual fight... FFS.

Last edited by gigantes : 07-05-2012 at 12:47 AM.
Old 07-05-2012, 12:58 AM   #1468
gigantes
A piece of fluff

Quote:
thanks. very interesting. gonna take me a while to digest...

random side-note: i liked finding out how many of the MMA presenters are also black belts. i mean, joe rogan's cover kind of got blown with his recent promotion, but buffer the announcer is apparently a BB and long-time MA practicioner, and dana white is some kind of belt in some system as well... i don't remember what. also, the referees, like herb dean and big john- most of them seem to be certified experts. not that it's unexpected, but this stuff is rarely mentioned for some reason.

only thing i know about scott coker is that he looks like he's a black belt on cheeseburgers of some kind.
Old 07-05-2012, 11:48 AM   #1469
Jackass18
The Iron Price

Quote:
dana white is some kind of belt in some system as well... i don't remember what.

Boxercise
Old 07-09-2012, 01:01 AM   #1470
gigantes
A piece of fluff

DW and alistair are buddies again, and it shouldn't be too long before we finally see JDS-overeem. (knock on wood)

Alistair Overeem: UFC heavyweight champ Junior Dos Santos is afraid to fight me
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: