Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Off the Court Lounge

Off the Court Lounge Basketball fans talk about everything EXCEPT basketball here

Old 04-01-2011, 04:57 PM   #1
pete's montreux
Blu Ray™ Savant

pete's montreux is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablepete's montreux is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablepete's montreux is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablepete's montreux is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablepete's montreux is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablepete's montreux is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablepete's montreux is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablepete's montreux is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablepete's montreux is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablepete's montreux is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablepete's montreux is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable
Default I think I'm addicted to distraction

And It's totally because of the age I grew up in. Most of the guys my age [around 25] have been using a computer every day for about 10 years. Multi-tasking is like second nature to me. I was thinking about it today, and I can't remember the last time I actually did one thing at once. Even when I'm watching a movie I'm also doing something else, depending on the movie of course. Very rarely do I give a movie nowadays 100% of my attention, a lot of the time you can get away with it, some times you can't.

Everyone knows what I'm talking about...

You're on your computer, the TV is on next to you, you're watching a show, checking your e-mail or Facebook or Twitter or what-not, sending and answering texts, looking up this, responding to that, doing this, doing that...f*cking homework, banking, ordering shit online, making plans.

I literally can't just sit down and f*cking do one thing. It's ridiculous.

The only time that happens is like 10 minutes before I go to bed, I'm only watching TV, that's it. Any other time of the day and I'm juggling like 10 tabs, phone is next to me, TV is on...

It's bad. Just writing this post took me 15 minutes, most of which was looking up at the TV watching the Red Sox game, also checked the memo I wrote to myself earlier today, went and asked my brother something, threw some shit away from my drawer...

Is multi-tasking a good thing or a bad thing? How does it affect the guys going to school?
pete's montreux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2011, 05:02 PM   #2
pete's montreux
Blu Ray™ Savant

pete's montreux is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablepete's montreux is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablepete's montreux is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablepete's montreux is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablepete's montreux is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablepete's montreux is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablepete's montreux is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablepete's montreux is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablepete's montreux is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablepete's montreux is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablepete's montreux is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable
Default Re: I think I'm addicted to distraction

and yes also eating blah blah blah
Old 04-01-2011, 05:02 PM   #3
Jailblazers7
will-to-bigness

Jailblazers7 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJailblazers7 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJailblazers7 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJailblazers7 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJailblazers7 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJailblazers7 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJailblazers7 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJailblazers7 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJailblazers7 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJailblazers7 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJailblazers7 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

I have this problem too which is exactly why I love to read. Shut everything off, quiet my mind, and just read.
Jailblazers7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2011, 05:07 PM   #4
YouCallILose
Banned

YouCallILose has an EXTREMELY bad reputation around these partsYouCallILose has an EXTREMELY bad reputation around these partsYouCallILose has an EXTREMELY bad reputation around these partsYouCallILose has an EXTREMELY bad reputation around these partsYouCallILose has an EXTREMELY bad reputation around these partsYouCallILose has an EXTREMELY bad reputation around these parts

vyvanse/adderall/concerta

its your best friend
YouCallILose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2011, 05:08 PM   #5
Riddler
D-94

Riddler is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRiddler is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRiddler is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRiddler is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRiddler is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRiddler is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRiddler is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRiddler is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRiddler is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by pete's montreux
Just writing this post took me 15 minutes, most of which was looking up at the TV watching the Red Sox game

I'm watching this $Hit too.

good game.
Riddler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2011, 05:09 PM   #6
Stuckey
ifirtworld

Stuckey has a terrific reputationStuckey has a terrific reputationStuckey has a terrific reputationStuckey has a terrific reputationStuckey has a terrific reputationStuckey has a terrific reputation

is this you?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7jT0JT3N47g
Stuckey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2011, 05:10 PM   #7
pete's montreux
Blu Ray™ Savant

Quote:
Originally Posted by YouCallILose
vyvanse/adderall/concerta

its your best friend

yeah I thought about this as well, but i dont really think its a condition like these drugs supposedly treat

although maybe it is now, 10-15 years of computer multi-tasking, i wonder if that's somehow burning this into out brains and affecting our ability to concentrate as humans
Old 04-01-2011, 05:11 PM   #8
pete's montreux
Blu Ray™ Savant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stuckey

i thought about that scene when i was writing this post

ok back to hating you
Old 04-01-2011, 05:12 PM   #9
YouCallILose
Banned

YouCallILose has an EXTREMELY bad reputation around these partsYouCallILose has an EXTREMELY bad reputation around these partsYouCallILose has an EXTREMELY bad reputation around these partsYouCallILose has an EXTREMELY bad reputation around these partsYouCallILose has an EXTREMELY bad reputation around these partsYouCallILose has an EXTREMELY bad reputation around these parts

Quote:
Originally Posted by pete's montreux
yeah I thought about this as well, but i dont really think its a condition like these drugs supposedly treat

although maybe it is now, 10-15 years of computer multi-tasking, i wonder if that's somehow burning this into out brains and affecting our ability to concentrate as humans

yes it is, i am the say way when i am off of it.

when im on vyvanse, im prescribed, i can sit down and study for 12-14 straight hours without moving
YouCallILose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2011, 05:12 PM   #10
pete's montreux
Blu Ray™ Savant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stillatitdamnit
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fu6DfMlGkqc "The f*ck are you still doing drving a garbage truck?"

i'm sorry i dont understand this post
Old 04-01-2011, 05:13 PM   #11
pete's montreux
Blu Ray™ Savant

Quote:
Originally Posted by YouCallILose
yes it is, i am the say way when i am off of it.

when im on vyvanse, im prescribed, i can sit down and study for 12-14 straight hours without moving

i don't need to concentrate that much where i can convince my doc to prescribe me something like those
Old 04-01-2011, 05:20 PM   #12
ProfessorMurder
I am your soldier!

ProfessorMurder is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableProfessorMurder is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableProfessorMurder is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableProfessorMurder is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableProfessorMurder is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableProfessorMurder is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableProfessorMurder is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableProfessorMurder is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableProfessorMurder is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableProfessorMurder is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableProfessorMurder is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

You've just got to limit yourself.

Recently, for example, I started making myself put my laptop to sleep while I watch NBA games. I like posting in game threads, but you lose concentration on the game. My rule now is only show up at halftime, or on a commercial if something really awesome happened.

----

Since I've got some OCD tendencies, doing multiple things can actually help me relieve a lot of stress. i.e. Playing video games while having a conversation with a friend.

That occupies my mental faculties because of conversation, while leaving my baser hand-eye linear thinking to the game.

---

Realizes the irony in me posting in this thread while listening to music and taking a break from writing my screenplay... But I specified a break time at least.
ProfessorMurder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2011, 05:24 PM   #13
vapid
Paranoid Android

vapid has an incredible reputation herevapid has an incredible reputation herevapid has an incredible reputation herevapid has an incredible reputation herevapid has an incredible reputation herevapid has an incredible reputation herevapid has an incredible reputation here

I think you just have a lack of self control. I love to multi task as well but when I need to focus on one thing I can. And I'm not the only person that can do that without aderall. Also a habit of procrastination could also fuel this behavior.
vapid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2011, 05:24 PM   #14
pete's montreux
Blu Ray™ Savant

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProfessorMurder
You've just got to limit yourself.

Recently, for example, I started making myself put my laptop to sleep while I watch NBA games. I like posting in game threads, but you lose concentration on the game. My rule now is only show up at halftime, or on a commercial if something really awesome happened.

----

Since I've got some OCD tendencies, doing multiple things can actually help me relieve a lot of stress. i.e. Playing video games while having a conversation with a friend.

That occupies my mental faculties because of conversation, while leaving my baser hand-eye linear thinking to the game.

---

Realizes the irony in me posting in this thread while listening to music and taking a break from writing my screenplay... But I specified a break time at least.

Looks like you've got this issue covered. I won't expect a reply until your next schedule break, though.
Old 04-01-2011, 05:27 PM   #15
pete's montreux
Blu Ray™ Savant

Quote:
Originally Posted by vapid
I think you just have a lack of self control. I love to multi task as well but when I need to focus on one thing I can. And I'm not the only person that can do that without aderall. Also a habit of procrastination could also fuel this behavior.

No, no I don't think It's a lack of self-control, if it was, I wouldn't be able to handle doing anything without excess. I think It's just how I described it.

And I don't really procrastinate at all. I'm very good at getting things done BEFORE everything else to get it out of the way. The only time this doesn't happen is when I work a long day and I'm just too tired to do anything.

But for the most part I like to get everything out of the way so that by the end of the day I can relax without having any pressure.
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: