Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Off the Court Lounge

Off the Court Lounge Basketball fans talk about everything EXCEPT basketball here

Old 12-13-2006, 01:31 AM   #16
PleezeBelieve
#TeamOhio: 73-9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timmy D for MVP
Brady Quinn is more of a passer. I mean most teams would pick an Alex Smith Steve Young type player (mobile, but still a great passer), over a Michael Vick type player (very mobile but some passing is suspect which is changing as of late). But I still see Troy Smith doing better in the NFL right now because he still has a good passing ability and he can run like no other.

Plus that funky release can't be helping him (it killed that kid from Oregon)
See, these are the type of parrots that I'm talking about. He's automatically associating Troy with Vick, and I don't know why? Troy is a pocket passer that threw for 30 touchdowns with a 67% completition rate on damn near 300 pass attempts.

And the fact he's even using Alex Smith as an example of someone who's supposedly more NFL ready than Troy is absurd and negates me from taking him serious from here on out.
PleezeBelieve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2006, 02:31 AM   #17
kentatm
NBA Legend

Default ...

Quote:
Quinn will be a great PRO player.

yea right, he will be Rick Meir.

anyways, if you guys think its skin color bumping him down you are fools.

its his height. tons of QBs get unfairly dissed in the draft b/c of their height. anyone that doesnt know that doesnt follow pro football.

also, as was said, his delivery is a bit wonky.

finally, you must take into effect the rated higher simply b/c he plays for Notre Dame factor for Quinn.
kentatm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2006, 02:40 AM   #18
MMM
877-954-1893

The best QB in this draft will be Russell from LSU imo people might think I'm crazy for saying that but I've seen a lot of games of this guy and he is a winner. He has won in every tough SEC stadium basically not sure of the swamp.
MMM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2006, 02:56 AM   #19
gsxr1kryder
Decent playground baller

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyBravo5
He's white thats why. They always say that Black QB's need 2-3 years to mature. Or that they aren't accurate.

I am so glad that VY is killing them this year.

i'm sorry but i'm failing to understand why you say Quinn will be picked higher because he's white.

vince got picked (by my beloved Titans...oh yeah) ahead of Leinhart last year, so i don't see the reasoning. White,Black, hispanic, it doesn't matter. it's what the teams think you'll do for their franchise.

Smith has got a better outlook at getting picked first in my opinion, because like what was said, he hasn't choked in the Big games.
gsxr1kryder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2006, 03:03 AM   #20
PleezeBelieve

Quote:
Originally Posted by kentatm
yea right, he will be Rick Meir.

anyways, if you guys think its skin color bumping him down you are fools.

its his height. tons of QBs get unfairly dissed in the draft b/c of their height. anyone that doesnt know that doesnt follow pro football.

also, as was said, his delivery is a bit wonky.

finally, you must take into effect the rated higher simply b/c he plays for Notre Dame factor for Quinn.
Okay even if I take your heed to your words, Brady Quinn has "issues" as well. Basically when you're not going by game footage to breakdown any given player, how is anything you bring up relevant or be really taken that serious?

While the football pundits will tell me Troy's height and throwing motion are a concern, they overlook, or just choose to not highlight, Quinn's struggles? Yeah Troy's 6'1'', but he was the best player on the field during the toughest games of the season. And Brady's 6'4'', but he struggled BIGTIME in just about every major game he had in his collegiate career.

Now if you're a NFL franchise, which one should be more of a concern to you?
Old 12-13-2006, 03:07 AM   #21
Wuxia
Local High School Star

Dude, the answer is simple. Quinn has the size to sustain the wear and tear of the NFL. Smith might be a good quarterback in college, but the guy is 5'10. He'd get break in half in the pro.
Wuxia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2006, 03:11 AM   #22
Dick Biggly
Good High School Starter

Smith is Seneca Wallace part 2. Brady Quinn, could he be a bust? YEah, but he could also be a franchise QB. Smith doesn't have that kind of upside.
Dick Biggly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2006, 03:14 AM   #23
PleezeBelieve

Quote:
Originally Posted by gsxr1kryder
i'm sorry but i'm failing to understand why you say Quinn will be picked higher because he's white.

vince got picked (by my beloved Titans...oh yeah) ahead of Leinhart last year, so i don't see the reasoning. White,Black, hispanic, it doesn't matter. it's what the teams think you'll do for their franchise.

Smith has got a better outlook at getting picked first in my opinion, because like what was said, he hasn't choked in the Big games.
It's fancinating how people just don't see the obvious. Yeah, the Titans picked Vince, but they were looked upon as reaching when they did it. I mean, most of these draft experts had Cutler higher rated than Vince. And keep in mind, Vince had just single-handily won the championship four months earlier. Is there any doubt that if Vince was white with the same skill set, he would'nt have easily been the #1 pick? If there is, it shouldn't be. The last four or five QB's taken as the first pick in the draft (other than Carson Palmer) had done absolutely nothing compared to Vince. From Carr, to Alex Smith, to Eli, to Tim Couch....what did they ever do on the field more than Vince to deserve the #1 pick?
Old 12-13-2006, 03:17 AM   #24
PleezeBelieve

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wuxia
Dude, the answer is simple. Quinn has the size to sustain the wear and tear of the NFL. Smith might be a good quarterback in college, but the guy is 5'10. He'd get break in half in the pro.
Idiot, he's not 5'10''. He's an easy 6-foot. But once again, what does that have to do with what either player did on the field against similar elite competition? I would wait for you to come up with an ignorant answer, but I don't have time to wait, so I'll just answer it for you...."NOTHING".
Old 12-13-2006, 03:20 AM   #25
PleezeBelieve

Quote:
Originally Posted by **** Biggly
Smith is Seneca Wallace part 2. Brady Quinn, could he be a bust? YEah, but he could also be a franchise QB. Smith doesn't have that kind of upside.
Are you dudes just talkin out of your ass becasue you don't know any better or what?

WHAT THE F*CK MAKES BRADY QUINN ANY MORE OF A FRANCHISE QB THAN TROY SMITH WHEN TROY SMITH HAS NOT ONLY OUT-PLAYED HIM HEAD-TO-HEAD, BUT AGAINST COMMON OPPONENTS AS WELL?
Old 12-13-2006, 03:26 AM   #26
kentatm
NBA Legend

Default ...

Quote:
Now if you're a NFL franchise, which one should be more of a concern to you?

Quote:
Idiot, he's not 5'10''. He's an easy 6-foot. But once again, what does that have to do with what either player did on the field against similar elite competition? I would wait for you to come up with an ignorant answer, but I don't have time to wait, so I'll just answer it for you...."NOTHING".

you simply dont understand how they rate QBs for the pros. coming from a winning team means very little to them

John Elway NEVER EVEN MADE A BOWL GAME but that didnt mean anything and he was drafted #1 and was the prototypical size they wanted.

meanwhile you have a guy like Doug Flutie who was a winner, recieved tons of awards in college, left as the all time passing leader in yards and was shat on by the NFL mainly b/c he was small. He was even replaced by scrub Rob Johnson on the Bills b/c of that crap even though he brought them wins and Rob only brought losses.

in the NFL if you are tall and can throw the ball, you get preferential treatment. is it right, fair or even smart? NO. but thats the way it goes. deal with it.

(edit - mixed Rob with Doug)

Last edited by kentatm : 12-13-2006 at 03:33 AM.
kentatm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2006, 03:33 AM   #27
Y2Gezee
Troll spotting pro

Smith will be a good pro, but yeah his height is the problem. Though Drew Brees, Mark Brunell, Vick (though, he has never ever had good receivers to really prove it) and a few others have shown that you can be very very good QBs at that height.

I think Chris Leak will be a very good QB in the league, the guy is very smart and has learned a hell of a lot of systems including this most confusing system under Myer and has excelled.

But I'd definately take Quinn first. The guy is atleast just as good as Smith, but Taller. Not saying he's going to definately be better, but height does seem to help.

And Smith is listed at 6-1. McNabb is like 6-2, and is the best QB in the league.

Last edited by Y2Gezee : 12-13-2006 at 03:42 AM.
Y2Gezee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2006, 03:53 AM   #28
dak121
College superstar

Quinn already has experience in a pro-style offense, and statistically he's doing more with less.(don't believe the hype - next to Boise State ND has the worst overall talent in the top 15) They lost some big games but that happens when the talent gap is fairly wide like it is between ND and USC/Michigan this year.

Smith has a chance to be a decent NFL player but he's a major risk. How many 5'10'' QBs make it big in the NFL? Doug Flutie? For his sake he would be best served to be drafted by a quality team that will allow him to sit and learn how to read defenses for a few seasons before throwing him out there.(like the Bears or Ravens)

Hopefully he's not another Woody Dantzler/Joe Hamilton. Those 2 were amazing QBs in college, flameouts in the pros.
dak121 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2006, 04:01 AM   #29
PleezeBelieve

Quote:
Originally Posted by kentatm
you simply dont understand how they rate QBs for the pros. coming from a winning team means very little to them

John Elway NEVER EVEN MADE A BOWL GAME but that didnt mean anything and he was drafted #1 and was the prototypical size they wanted.

meanwhile you have a guy like Doug Flutie who was a winner, recieved tons of awards in college, left as the all time passing leader in yards and was shat on by the NFL mainly b/c he was small. He was even replaced by scrub Rob Johnson on the Bills b/c of that crap even though he brought them wins and Rob only brought losses.

in the NFL if you are tall and can throw the ball, you get preferential treatment. is it right, fair or even smart? NO. but thats the way it goes. deal with it.

(edit - mixed Rob with Doug)
Why when people try to make an arument, they automatically use an extreme case to sujpport their opinions? Dude, Elway is the exception not the norm. Quinn has nothing in comparison to the physical qualities that Elway had anyway. And neither does Smith to Flutie, so what's you're point? There will always be succesful quarterbacks that are both taller and shorter. And I'd be willing to bet that the dependency of their success didn't soley rest upon how tall they were.

Honestly, you dudes are acting like idiots, man. It's like some of your are arguing in support of a flawed system, that being the draft. Yeah, I know most of the quaterback drafted over the last 15 years have all been a certain height, but just because they were drafted there, that doesn't mean those players were successful, does it? What's so hard to understand about this?

It seems to me that this draft process has tones of residual rascism. I mean, when it comes to these African-American QB's, it just seems to be one complaint or "question of uncertainity" after another. Here this year, the focus is on Troy's height. Last year, Vince was tall enough, but people had questions about his ability to run a pro-style offense. I could go on, and on, and on....but it's no need cause noone seems to be listening anyway. I mean, the 4 or 5 people that have come into the thread to tell me WHY Troy won't be successful, have not made one mention of the countless flaws in Brady's game...so why bother arguing if people feel comfortable living in denial and oppression?
Old 12-13-2006, 04:07 AM   #30
PleezeBelieve

Quote:
Originally Posted by dak121
Quinn already has experience in a pro-style offense, and statistically he's doing more with less.(don't believe the hype - next to Boise State ND has the worst overall talent in the top 15) They lost some big games but that happens when the talent gap is fairly wide like it is between ND and USC/Michigan this year.

Smith has a chance to be a decent NFL player but he's a major risk. How many 5'10'' QBs make it big in the NFL? Doug Flutie? For his sake he would be best served to be drafted by a quality team that will allow him to sit and learn how to read defenses for a few seasons before throwing him out there.(like the Bears or Ravens)

Hopefully he's not another Woody Dantzler/Joe Hamilton. Those 2 were amazing QBs in college, flameouts in the pros.
Riiight, that why they were a pre-season top-5 team, huh? Not to mention, if they were so talent-deprived, why were they significantly higher rated than Michigan coming into the season. Keep the excuses coming, they're rather comical.

...btw, Flutie is 5'8'', not 5'10. Stop comparing Smith to him, geeeesh.
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: