Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > College and High School Basketball Forum

College and High School Basketball Forum College basketball message board, high school basketball message board

Old 04-02-2011, 10:52 PM   #1
L.Kizzle
ISH's Negro Historian

L.Kizzle has a terrific reputationL.Kizzle has a terrific reputationL.Kizzle has a terrific reputationL.Kizzle has a terrific reputationL.Kizzle has a terrific reputation
Default 35 Sec shot clock?

You don't need over half a minute to get a decent shot.
L.Kizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2011, 10:56 PM   #2
StateProperty
Sixers|Eagles|Phillies

StateProperty has an incredible reputation hereStateProperty has an incredible reputation hereStateProperty has an incredible reputation hereStateProperty has an incredible reputation hereStateProperty has an incredible reputation hereStateProperty has an incredible reputation hereStateProperty has an incredible reputation hereStateProperty has an incredible reputation here
Default Re: 35 Sec shot clock?

I went to a D3 girls game and they had a 30 sec shot clock. Thought that was perfect. 24 secs in the NBA is a big reason why it's so isolated on offense, which I hate.
StateProperty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2011, 05:40 PM   #3
SkyR#1fanCapCou
Decent playground baller

SkyR#1fanCapCou has an OK reputation so far

30-second shot clock for men and women in the community college game in my state, 30 seconds for high school girls and as of last year, a 35-second clock for high school boys (prior to that, there was no shot-clock for the boys game, which made a for a few boring possessions in the last seconds of halves/4th quarters).

I like it at 30-seconds anything more is just asking for trouble.
SkyR#1fanCapCou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2011, 11:15 PM   #4
Eat Like A Bosh
Banned

Eat Like A Bosh has an incredible reputation hereEat Like A Bosh has an incredible reputation hereEat Like A Bosh has an incredible reputation hereEat Like A Bosh has an incredible reputation hereEat Like A Bosh has an incredible reputation hereEat Like A Bosh has an incredible reputation hereEat Like A Bosh has an incredible reputation here

See? This and 20 minute halves are one of the main reasons why college games are all low scoring.

A longer shot clock gives more opportunity to stall.
Eat Like A Bosh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2011, 12:00 PM   #5
DeuceWallaces
I am your density

DeuceWallaces is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDeuceWallaces is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDeuceWallaces is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDeuceWallaces is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDeuceWallaces is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDeuceWallaces is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDeuceWallaces is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDeuceWallaces is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDeuceWallaces is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDeuceWallaces is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDeuceWallaces is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

It makes it unbearable to watch at times, but it's one of the primary drivers for parity; without it there would be a lot less upsets.
DeuceWallaces is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2011, 02:35 PM   #6
Thorpesaurous
NBA rookie of the year

Thorpesaurous is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThorpesaurous is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThorpesaurous is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThorpesaurous is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThorpesaurous is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThorpesaurous is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThorpesaurous is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThorpesaurous is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThorpesaurous is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThorpesaurous is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThorpesaurous is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

I like it. Like State says up there, the 24 second is one of the reasons there's so much iso in the NBA, which I'm not crazy about.

I remember when it was 45 seconds. I wouldn't even be opposed to the longer run, but I think it's pretty close to perfect as is.

It does obviously lead to more parity. And it can make some games hard to watch. But the positive is that it's one of the main factors in allowing so many different styles of play be successfull. It allows teams to actually conciously try to control tempo. To work for the type of offense they want to play. To manipulate defensively to force the opponent out of their tempo.

If the game simply comes down to what team has the better shot makers, which is what happens over a long stretch of time, then there's not much point getting into the nuts and bolts of the game. It may as well become a game of knockout. The reason the really talented teams, like Duke, consistently play at such a high pace, is because they know that the more shots that are taken in a game, the more likely their players are to be the ones who make more. And less talented teams often play at a slower tempo because they know that over a smaller sample size, they're chances of making more than anyone else push closer and closer to even.

I find that styles make games, and it's one of the reasons I prefer the college game.
Thorpesaurous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2011, 03:45 PM   #7
bdreason
Game. Set. Match.

bdreason is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbdreason is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbdreason is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbdreason is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbdreason is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbdreason is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbdreason is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbdreason is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbdreason is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbdreason is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbdreason is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

35 seconds is ridiculous, and from what I've heard from NBA rookies, actually hinders their development in College. Pretty much every rookie complains about adjusting to the pace of the NBA. It's not about guys running faster, it's about getting into your set quickly and being efficient with the ball. NCAA should really think about switching to a 30 sec or 24 sec shot clock.

The funny thing is how little these teams do with the 35 seconds. It's usually 10 passes around the perimeter and then they jack up a 3 point shot.
bdreason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2011, 03:52 PM   #8
Thorpesaurous
NBA rookie of the year

Thorpesaurous is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThorpesaurous is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThorpesaurous is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThorpesaurous is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThorpesaurous is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThorpesaurous is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThorpesaurous is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThorpesaurous is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThorpesaurous is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThorpesaurous is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThorpesaurous is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

The difference is really about recognizing what's a good shot and what's not. The same shot could be of very different value depending on how much time is left on the shot clock, and because the NBA clock is so short, it's about realizing that you need to take that first decent look.

The definitely need to move the three point line back though. The euro game has issues with it still in that that shot is so makeable, it warps the offenses decision making way too much.
Old 04-11-2011, 05:44 PM   #9
wang4three
NJ Net Fan For Life.

wang4three has an incredible reputation herewang4three has an incredible reputation herewang4three has an incredible reputation herewang4three has an incredible reputation herewang4three has an incredible reputation herewang4three has an incredible reputation herewang4three has an incredible reputation herewang4three has an incredible reputation here

It's fine, don't really mind it. If it was 30, I'd be ok with it. Anything less is ridiculous.
wang4three is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2011, 09:52 AM   #10
ILLsmak
Life goes on.

ILLsmak has decent reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by wang4three
It's fine, don't really mind it. If it was 30, I'd be ok with it. Anything less is ridiculous.

I think the shot clock along with the 5 second closely guarded is great. The reason there is less iso in college is because of the 5 second rule not because of the 35 second clock.

The college game isn't much less scoring when you think that there are worse players and less time... and on average less FTA.

Very few if any teams use the whole 35 second clock on a consistent basis. It only comes into effect late in games.

-Smak
ILLsmak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2011, 11:29 AM   #11
Thorpesaurous
NBA rookie of the year

Quote:
Originally Posted by ILLsmak
I think the shot clock along with the 5 second closely guarded is great. The reason there is less iso in college is because of the 5 second rule not because of the 35 second clock.

The college game isn't much less scoring when you think that there are worse players and less time... and on average less FTA.

Very few if any teams use the whole 35 second clock on a consistent basis. It only comes into effect late in games.

-Smak

You can throw the lack of an illegal defense / defensive 3 seconds into that less iso equation too.
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: