Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > NBA Team Forums > Toronto Raptors Forum

Toronto Raptors Forum Toronto Raptors message board - Toronto Raptors forum

Old 02-14-2011, 05:12 PM   #1
bokes15
Playoffs!

bokes15 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbokes15 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbokes15 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbokes15 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbokes15 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbokes15 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbokes15 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbokes15 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster
Default Let's talk about Ed Davis

Lost in the shuffle of this god aweful season, Ed Davis has been stepping it up lately at least defensively. He's averaging 8 rebounds/game for the month of January and has generally been a bright spot for us in addition to Demar putting up nearly 19/game in both January and February. What do you think is his (Davis's) ceiling and what kind of player would you compare him to?
bokes15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2011, 05:24 PM   #2
bballnoob
Decent college freshman

bballnoob is considered somewhat coolbballnoob is considered somewhat cool
Default Re: Let's talk about Ed Davis

Quote:
Originally Posted by bokes15
Lost in the shuffle of this god aweful season, Ed Davis has been stepping it up lately at least defensively. He's averaging 8 rebounds/game for the month of January and has generally been a bright spot for us in addition to Demar putting up nearly 19/game in both January and February. What do you think is his (Davis's) ceiling and what kind of player would you compare him to?

Love his motor (high activity level is a really important trait in a big for me personally). His finishing needs work but that will come when he develops his body. I hate that hitch in his shot (near the apex) and obviously his FT's have suffered. Most of all though (which was apparent from the moment he stepped on the floor) he has great awareness and defensive instincts. He's rarely out of place and I don't have the stat on me but his foul rate is pretty low which is really good for a shot blocking rookie.

His ceiling IMO is an Okafor type player at power foward. I'd be ecstatic if he became a double-double guy.
bballnoob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2011, 05:39 PM   #3
Chamberlain
Riggin' for Wiggins!

Chamberlain has a terrific reputationChamberlain has a terrific reputationChamberlain has a terrific reputationChamberlain has a terrific reputationChamberlain has a terrific reputation

Most of you probably know I was 100% against drafting Davis, but I also said that I really hoped that he would prove me wrong.

He has, so far.

I like the fact that he looks better in just about every game. His energy and effort is what I like most. It's refreshing to see, especially given some of the players we've had on recent teams and even this current team.

I'd be very content with Ed Davis' career if he could average 13-15ppg, and 8-10rpg on a consistent basis. The effort and natural ability he has on defense is enough to make up for what he may lack on the offensive end, and as he gets older/bigger/stronger, he'll only get better.

So what do I see his ceiling as? I've heard this comparison about a player before, it may have even been about Davis, but it was a PJ Brown type player with a bit more offense. If we could get that out of Ed, I'd be very happy.
Chamberlain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2011, 08:53 PM   #4
BRabbiT

BRabbiT is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableBRabbiT is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableBRabbiT is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableBRabbiT is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableBRabbiT is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableBRabbiT is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableBRabbiT is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableBRabbiT is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableBRabbiT is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableBRabbiT is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableBRabbiT is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chamberlain
So what do I see his ceiling as? I've heard this comparison about a player before, it may have even been about Davis, but it was a PJ Brown type player with a bit more offense. If we could get that out of Ed, I'd be very happy.

that'd be great.
BRabbiT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2011, 09:03 PM   #5
Dr.Funk
Decent college freshman

Dr.Funk has decent reputationDr.Funk has decent reputation

He's starting to remind me of Antonio Davis.
Dr.Funk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2011, 09:04 PM   #6
Qwyjibo
Yankee.Hotel.Foxtrot

Qwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterQwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterQwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterQwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterQwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterQwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterQwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterQwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterQwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterQwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterQwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

I loved the pick because he basically fell right into the Raptors lap. They probably weren't expecting him to be around at that point. No brainer pick but with the Raptors management, sometimes you can make assumptions like that.

It's a start to getting some more defense and rebounding in the frontcourt. They just need to address the big hole at C.
Qwyjibo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2011, 10:00 PM   #7
SESSEL15
High School Starter

SESSEL15 has an OK reputation so far

Loving his game. If I recall correctly he missed some time during his college year and he missed alot of time at the beginning of the season. So he's still getting into the grove of things. His hustle is admirable. Should be a very servicable starter in the future. Patience is key.
SESSEL15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2011, 10:10 PM   #8
Chamberlain
Riggin' for Wiggins!

Chamberlain has a terrific reputationChamberlain has a terrific reputationChamberlain has a terrific reputationChamberlain has a terrific reputationChamberlain has a terrific reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by SESSEL15
Loving his game. If I recall correctly he missed some time during his college year and he missed alot of time at the beginning of the season. So he's still getting into the grove of things. His hustle is admirable. Should be a very servicable starter in the future. Patience is key.

I think it was a hand issue in college, maybe a broken thumb or something. I can't really recall.
Chamberlain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2011, 10:32 PM   #9
Pistol Pete
Who Dat? Geaux Saints!

Pistol Pete has decent reputationPistol Pete has decent reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chamberlain
I think it was a hand issue in college, maybe a broken thumb or something. I can't really recall.

He broke his wrist and sat out the season, that's why he was kind of a wildcard entering the draft, because prior to that, he was thought to be a lock top 3-5 pick if he left as a freshmen. He came back, snapped the wrist, sat out, and slid a bit down the draft board.

I'm really pleased with his play, I mean, he's young, athletic, plays a high energy game and has a strong defensive mindset. He's everything we need in this team. We look to have two legitimate pieces in DeMar DeRozan and Ed Davis, if we could add a piece like Kyrie Irving, our core starts looking very solid. We suck for another year, add a 3 (probably since doubt they'd draft a 5 with Bargnani here), and suddenly we're kind of a team on the rise...

...assuming Colangelo doesn't get impatient and **** it up in the meantime.
Pistol Pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2011, 10:39 PM   #10
SESSEL15
High School Starter

SESSEL15 has an OK reputation so far

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pistol Pete
We look to have two legitimate pieces in DeMar DeRozan and Ed Davis, if we could add a piece like Kyrie Irving, our core starts looking very solid. We suck for another year, add a 3 (probably since doubt they'd draft a 5 with Bargnani here), and suddenly we're kind of a team on the rise...

I agree. We really need a stud in the draft this year. DeMar and Ed and progressing well. If we could just get that one guy.
SESSEL15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2011, 11:47 PM   #11
Toni
The Clumsy Waiter

Toni is considered somewhat coolToni is considered somewhat coolToni is considered somewhat cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pistol Pete
He broke his wrist and sat out the season, that's why he was kind of a wildcard entering the draft, because prior to that, he was thought to be a lock top 3-5 pick if he left as a freshmen. He came back, snapped the wrist, sat out, and slid a bit down the draft board.

I'm really pleased with his play, I mean, he's young, athletic, plays a high energy game and has a strong defensive mindset. He's everything we need in this team. We look to have two legitimate pieces in DeMar DeRozan and Ed Davis, if we could add a piece like Kyrie Irving, our core starts looking very solid. We suck for another year, add a 3 (probably since doubt they'd draft a 5 with Bargnani here), and suddenly we're kind of a team on the rise...

I like the sounds of that Pistol

Toni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2011, 12:10 AM   #12
bokes15
Playoffs!

bokes15 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbokes15 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbokes15 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbokes15 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbokes15 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbokes15 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbokes15 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbokes15 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

I quite honestly feel like this team would look totally different with a legit 5. Every team needs a high energy guy like Ed Davis has shown himself to be so far. And alongside a legit 5, it could be a pretty good combination. Or perhaps even having him coming off the bench if we got more depth at any time.
bokes15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2011, 01:41 AM   #13
stalf
I airball my layups

stalf has an OK reputation so far

for a c, ideally a bynum like player, back to basket 20/10 with a little more energy on both ends of the floor. then ship bargs/calderon back. somehow lure dwill in 2 years :P
stalf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2011, 07:49 AM   #14
bluerap
Local High School Star

bluerap has decent reputation

yeah all we need is an all-star centre and an all-star pg.
that's easy enough.

seriously though, davis has been impressive, but he is not really a good long-term fit with Bargs.

We need one of them to be paired with a legit all-star that has an all-around game.

either we have to pair davis with a 20/10 c, or pair bargs with a 20/12 pf.
bluerap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2011, 08:14 AM   #15
Harrison_Barnes
Local High School Star

Harrison_Barnes is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterHarrison_Barnes is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterHarrison_Barnes is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterHarrison_Barnes is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterHarrison_Barnes is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterHarrison_Barnes is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterHarrison_Barnes is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterHarrison_Barnes is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterHarrison_Barnes is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterHarrison_Barnes is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterHarrison_Barnes is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluerap
yeah all we need is an all-star centre and an all-star pg.
that's easy enough.

seriously though, davis has been impressive, but he is not really a good long-term fit with Bargs.

We need one of them to be paired with a legit all-star that has an all-around game.

either we have to pair davis with a 20/10 c, or pair bargs with a 20/12 pf.

I'd take this option.
Harrison_Barnes is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: