Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > NBA Team Forums > Toronto Raptors Forum

Toronto Raptors Forum Toronto Raptors message board - Toronto Raptors forum

Old 04-08-2011, 12:11 PM   #31
Jballer
Local High School Star

Jballer has decent reputationJballer has decent reputation
Default Re: D'Antoni brings agent to practice...

More Friday Buzz at CNNSI
According to a team executive, who knows a thing or two about a thing or two regarding goings-on behind the screens, Dolan may have eyes for John Calipari . . . to run the front office and coach. Do I have confirmation on this? No. I unsuccessfully reached out to Calipari and left a message. Does it make sense? Yes, especially in view of Dolan’s disinclination to do right by Walsh. We’re talking about a marquee college coach fresh from another Final Four, who owns pro experience (some of it good with the Nets), is an outstanding recruiter (though the NBA’s salary cap may limit that impact), and relates remarkably well with young black players.”

Watching the Knicks is like watching a slow mo train wreck sometimes.

Man as bad as it is here - Dolan and Management - wow

So there are obviously 3 potential candidates D'An, Capi, and A from the rockets.

I guess we will figure this out when BCs exention is announced (or not - as the case may be)
Jballer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2011, 05:39 PM   #32
rosonviyavong
Raps, Jazz, and UCONN

rosonviyavong has an OK reputation so far

UHHH ...no matter what our team is not going to be good in awhile so why not bring him in and sell some tickets.
rosonviyavong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2011, 05:59 PM   #33
Harrison_Barnes
Local High School Star

Harrison_Barnes is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterHarrison_Barnes is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterHarrison_Barnes is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterHarrison_Barnes is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterHarrison_Barnes is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterHarrison_Barnes is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterHarrison_Barnes is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterHarrison_Barnes is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterHarrison_Barnes is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterHarrison_Barnes is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterHarrison_Barnes is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by rosonviyavong
UHHH ...no matter what our team is not going to be good in awhile so why not bring him in and sell some tickets.

Were going to sell tickets no matter who our coach is..
Harrison_Barnes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2011, 07:58 PM   #34
Doko
High School Starter

Doko has decent reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by bokes15
I would call it an overstatement that he probably said while he was annoyed but I wouldn't necessarily even call it totally untrue. Being a great coach or great player in another league (and in this case, another league and another country does not automatically qualify you to be a great coach in the NBA. Just like for example being a great college player with college championships doesn't automatically mean you are gonna be a stud when you enter the league.

So what does it mean then you ask? It means that the guy has potential. If you apply for a job for instance, you're going to list all the credentials from your previous job in your experience section. Then, the employer is going to look at all that you've done and say "hey, this guy did great in his other companies, let's see what he can do for us." BUT, at a certain point after a trial basis, they are going to stop giving you credit based on what you did for your previous company, and judge you based on what you've done for their company (aka the NBA). And that's the point where D'Antoni is at right now. His success in Euroleague hasn't transferred to success in the NBA. He bombed as a coach of the Nuggets in the 98-99 lockout season with a 14-36 record. Then when he became the Suns head coach he was given one of the most talented rosters in the entire league. The best pg in the league at the time Steve Nash, a young stud in Amar'e Stoudemire, an All-Star in Shawn Marion and one of the deepest rosters in the league. Year after year, his run and gun style brought regular season success and massive failure in the playoffs. They had the talent and the tools to win it all, they had all the right pieces, but they had the wrong coach. That's just my opinion.

I agree with everything you said, even tho I wouldn't say D'Antoni didn't accomplish anything in the NBA and is living out of reputation.
I was quoting a very specific post that I felt was utterly ignorant (if not racist) and disrespectful.
Doko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2011, 11:15 AM   #35
DJMason
High School JV MVP

DJMason is considered somewhat coolDJMason is considered somewhat cool

Yes my "ignorant" comment was made out of annoyance with the silly cheapshot against Nash, and Bokes' post is the more drawn-out reasonable way of saying what I wanted to say.

That said I'm not exactly sure that saying the Euro league is a crappy league where NBA players go to get one last payout before there career dies is racist in anyway. The same in reverse is true of MLS and the premiere league. Furthermore, North American isn't a "race" ergo as a white American/Canadian I am of European decent so please cut the "racist" accusations.

As bokes said, for a man with as long an NBA career as D'Antoni has had, his Euroleague accomplishments don't matter one lick since he's proved he can't get it done in the league that matters to the Raptors. It's like the countless college coaches who can't get it done in the NBA but continue to excel in college. Great coaches, just not at the NBA level which as a Raptors fan is all I care about.
DJMason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2011, 12:15 PM   #36
Grey Dawn
KG cancer to the NBA

Grey Dawn has not been impressing people

Woo Woo, loving the Raptors section these days where as soon as anyone disagrees with anyone we all call each other ignorant and tell each other to leave the boards!
Grey Dawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2011, 01:06 PM   #37
Chamberlain
Riggin' for Wiggins!

Chamberlain has a terrific reputationChamberlain has a terrific reputationChamberlain has a terrific reputationChamberlain has a terrific reputationChamberlain has a terrific reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grey Dawn
Woo Woo, loving the Raptors section these days where as soon as anyone disagrees with anyone we all call each other ignorant and tell each other to leave the boards!

I disagree.

Leave.
Chamberlain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2011, 01:12 PM   #38
bada bing
College star

bada bing is a pretty well-respected posterbada bing is a pretty well-respected posterbada bing is a pretty well-respected poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJMason
Yes my "ignorant" comment was made out of annoyance with the silly cheapshot against Nash, and Bokes' post is the more drawn-out reasonable way of saying what I wanted to say.

That said I'm not exactly sure that saying the Euro league is a crappy league where NBA players go to get one last payout before there career dies is racist in anyway. The same in reverse is true of MLS and the premiere league. Furthermore, North American isn't a "race" ergo as a white American/Canadian I am of European decent so please cut the "racist" accusations.

As bokes said, for a man with as long an NBA career as D'Antoni has had, his Euroleague accomplishments don't matter one lick since he's proved he can't get it done in the league that matters to the Raptors. It's like the countless college coaches who can't get it done in the NBA but continue to excel in college. Great coaches, just not at the NBA level which as a Raptors fan is all I care about.

well said. it shows you the ignorance of some fools on this forum that consider it a racist comment to suggest the euro league is inferior to the NBA. I dont know why that would be a hateful comment or why someone would consider that a diss to Europeans.

i dont even know why some of these people even watch the NBA. Just stick to your damn euro league if you consider it soo much better. You can then watch all the europeans play ball while pulling a *********ion marathon.
bada bing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2011, 01:21 PM   #39
bokes15
Playoffs!

bokes15 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbokes15 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbokes15 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbokes15 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbokes15 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbokes15 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbokes15 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbokes15 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

It's like people who will call you sexist for saying that the WNBA is an inferior league that doesn't have nearly as much talent, and loses money year after year. Does it mean I hate women? no. But is what i'm saying about the WNBA absolutely true? hell yes.
bokes15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2011, 02:11 PM   #40
bada bing
College star

bada bing is a pretty well-respected posterbada bing is a pretty well-respected posterbada bing is a pretty well-respected poster

Quote:
It's like people who will call you sexist for saying that the WNBA is an inferior league that doesn't have nearly as much talent, and loses money year after year. Does it mean I hate women? no. But is what i'm saying about the WNBA absolutely true? hell yes.

lol yea. We should just start comparing the MLS to the UEFA now, like how DJMason said. And we should be serious and play the name game every time someone says the MLS is an inferior club. Seriously give me a freaking break here. More than being annoying, making such absurd comments only reflects on the intellect of that user. The worst part about all of this is that a few of these guys are actually serious and believe what they say. I rather deal with a fool and troll like lilbeastnani than delusional turds.
bada bing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2011, 02:11 PM   #41
Toni
The Clumsy Waiter

Toni is considered somewhat coolToni is considered somewhat coolToni is considered somewhat cool

Quote:

+1

Good analogy.
Toni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2011, 02:55 PM   #42
FCardelle
High School JV MVP

FCardelle has an OK reputation so far

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJMason
What? I only said that he never won a title... what's the problem? If he were Spanish he would be World Champion...
FCardelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2011, 04:25 PM   #43
Himan12
On the clouds

Himan12 has an OK reputation so far

Definitely do not want D'Antoni, I loved watching the Run n Gun Suns, but every year in the playoffs MD was out coached pretty badly.
Himan12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2011, 01:13 PM   #44
MightyWhitey
Local High School Star

MightyWhitey has decent reputationMightyWhitey has decent reputation

You guys don't want him. We don't want him. I would be pretty upset if he went from my number 1 team to my second fav team . He has mis-givings about Melo because Melo preached about altering the defensive end of the team. Melo even went so far as to admit his defensive play needed to get much better in order for the Knicks to improve. I think the last few games Melo put his money where his mouth is and showed D'Antoni that you can score 39 points, pull down over 10 rebounds, and still play effective defense in order to win games.
D'Antoni is an offensive genius. Everyone in the league knows this. But he preaches no defense. He's a good Euro Basketball coach. Not a good NBA coach.
MightyWhitey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2011, 01:28 PM   #45
bokes15
Playoffs!

bokes15 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbokes15 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbokes15 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbokes15 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbokes15 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbokes15 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbokes15 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbokes15 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

^Bingo. His offensive schemes are 2nd to none, they simply just don't work well in the NBA. Case in point, this year he created the run and gun Knicks which are a top 2 offensive team the league and a bottom 5 defensive team in the league. A recipe for playoff failure.
bokes15 is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: