Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > NBA Team Forums > Toronto Raptors Forum

Toronto Raptors Forum Toronto Raptors message board - Toronto Raptors forum

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 04-10-2011, 07:30 PM   #16
SESSEL15
High School Starter
 
SESSEL15's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Sydney
Posts: 843
SESSEL15 has an OK reputation so far
Default Re: The *OFFICIAL* Europe vs. Canada thread

This board has some great posters showing intriguing opinions and minimal bias. I find it completely childish for some on this board to firmly believe the liking/disliking of players is choosen by where these players are from.
SESSEL15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2011, 07:32 PM   #17
Toni
The Clumsy Waiter
 
Toni's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Canada
Posts: 2,497
Toni is considered somewhat coolToni is considered somewhat coolToni is considered somewhat cool
Default Re: The *OFFICIAL* Europe vs. Canada thread

Why hasn't this thread been locked yet?

This forum is turning into a gongshow.
Toni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2011, 07:43 PM   #18
bokes15
Playoffs!
 
bokes15's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: New York City
Posts: 9,272
bokes15 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbokes15 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbokes15 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbokes15 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbokes15 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbokes15 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbokes15 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbokes15 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster
Default Re: The *OFFICIAL* Europe vs. Canada thread

^^ I can't speak for Chambs and Funk but I personally haven't locked it because two posters (of who I won't name but we all know who they are) are hi-jacking every thread no matter what the topic is about with this nonsense about Europe and racism. So i'd rather it all be in one thread than in EVERY thread. Unfortunately we don't have banning powers. That would solve the problem completely.
bokes15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2011, 07:49 PM   #19
FCardelle
High School JV MVP
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Spain
Posts: 678
FCardelle has an OK reputation so far
Default Re: The *OFFICIAL* Europe vs. Canada thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJMason
America/Canada invented Basketball, ergo our version of the game is the "true" version whether you like it or not. I'd also like to point out that when America actually bothers to try in international play they mop the floor with the world, so I think they can handle the complexity of European tactics.
The original version included fruit baskets and no dribble at all and it was like 11 vs 11 I think... what's your point?

Come on, guys... team USA is always full of all-stars while the other countries have no more than one all-star... and USA not always win.
Oh... Lebron/Wade/Bryant/Carmeto/Bosh/. won to Rubio/Navarro/Rudy/Garbajosa/Gasol in the Olympics... great...
Can't you see that it just proves my point: NBA (or USA if you want) is only better to Europe because they have better players. We have better tactics, better coaches and better fans.
FCardelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2011, 07:50 PM   #20
Toni
The Clumsy Waiter
 
Toni's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Canada
Posts: 2,497
Toni is considered somewhat coolToni is considered somewhat coolToni is considered somewhat cool
Default Re: The *OFFICIAL* Europe vs. Canada thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by bokes15
^^ I can't speak for Chambs and Funk but I personally haven't locked it because two posters (of who I won't name but we all know who they are) are hi-jacking every thread no matter what the topic is about with this nonsense about Europe and racism. So i'd rather it all be in one thread than in EVERY thread. Unfortunately we don't have banning powers. That would solve the problem completely.

I know it`s just so annoying. I just want to talk basketball. I really don`t care if our players are from the States or Europe. It just seems biased on everyones part because the worst and the highest players on our team are European. And that is coming from a guy who is EUROPEAN lol.
Toni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2011, 07:55 PM   #21
kmart
No props needed
 
kmart's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 1,061
kmart has an OK reputation so far
Default Re: The *OFFICIAL* Europe vs. Canada thread

Every time European's are discussed it usually turns into a discussion about how Europeans are discriminated on the board and that we are silly stupid "white Americans" who cannot see the European game like they can. I don't hate European players I treat them like any other player on the team. I'll have my opinions about each Euro player as I would American. I just do not like the Europeans on this team (Calderon and Bargs), and I think that they are poor at defense. They don't fit in the mold of what I would want for the future of this team. It doesn't mean I hate every single European, it doesn't mean that every European sucks at D, and it doesn't mean that my opinions on them are biased to hate them because I am a "White American".
kmart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2011, 08:01 PM   #22
bada bing
College star
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 4,231
bada bing is a pretty well-respected posterbada bing is a pretty well-respected posterbada bing is a pretty well-respected poster
Default Re: The *OFFICIAL* Europe vs. Canada thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by bokes15
^^ I can't speak for Chambs and Funk but I personally haven't locked it because two posters (of who I won't name but we all know who they are) are hi-jacking every thread no matter what the topic is about with this nonsense about Europe and racism. So i'd rather it all be in one thread than in EVERY thread. Unfortunately we don't have banning powers. That would solve the problem completely.

i know man. This thing has been going on for a long time now. i remember talking to you about this a loooong time ago and the bs has still continued. Every freaking thread has turned into stupid accusations and these 2 posters have literally on a mission to destroy this forum. There is no meaningful discussion in any threads now.

i dont mind lilbeastnani anymore as i do the other two. Lilbeastnani is actually sometimes funny and comes out looking like a clown. its cool. going back and forth with him isn't too bad either. we all know where he is coming from.

Seriously just message jeff or steve and ask them to take charge of this forum. its getting out of hand. the playoffs are coming up and i hope we can continue some meaningful playoff discussion in this forum among ourselves without being labeled as racists or haters.
bada bing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2011, 08:03 PM   #23
bokes15
Playoffs!
 
bokes15's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: New York City
Posts: 9,272
bokes15 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbokes15 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbokes15 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbokes15 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbokes15 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbokes15 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbokes15 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbokes15 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster
Default Re: The *OFFICIAL* Europe vs. Canada thread

Yeah I hear you guys, it's annoying to all of us. In previous years there were many heated debates/discussions over various players and things going on with this team, but all of those were basketball related which is totally fine. This year, it seems like everything leads to a damn Europe debate.
bokes15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2011, 09:56 AM   #24
Doko
High School Starter
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 831
Doko has decent reputation
Default Re: The *OFFICIAL* Europe vs. Canada thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by bokes15
^^ I can't speak for Chambs and Funk but I personally haven't locked it because two posters (of who I won't name but we all know who they are) are hi-jacking every thread no matter what the topic is about with this nonsense about Europe and racism. So i'd rather it all be in one thread than in EVERY thread. Unfortunately we don't have banning powers. That would solve the problem completely.

It may be true that FC is hijacking some threads turning them into a Europe/Canada debate as of late, but I want to ask you, since you're a mod and probably the less biased of the bunch, is it true or is it not true that many posters (and you know who I'm referring to) hijack every single thread (just as much if not more) turning it into an anti-Bargnani thread?
If you want to call out people, call them all out, not just the ones that don't share your views.
For me to see people taking shots at Bargs and Jose in every single thread, even if it's not related to them, is just as annoying as it is for you to see the Europe/Canada argument brought up.
Doko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2011, 10:17 AM   #25
bokes15
Playoffs!
 
bokes15's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: New York City
Posts: 9,272
bokes15 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbokes15 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbokes15 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbokes15 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbokes15 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbokes15 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbokes15 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbokes15 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster
Default Re: The *OFFICIAL* Europe vs. Canada thread

^^ That's the most annoying part of it all. That you guys continue to complain that it's about who shares your views vs. who doesn't share your views. There are established posters here like Toni, Q, Rapsfan, RT, etc... who can tell you that in the time i've been here (speaking for me personally, not anyone else) we've had many disagreements over the years on a variety of topics. But the reason it never escalated to this point is because this is how the disagreement/argument would go.

1. I state my opinion, and add some facts to back it up.
2. They state their counter opinion and use facts to back it up.
3. Either we come to an eventual agreement or we agree to disagree and it ends there.

Now what happens is.
1. A person states there opinions and uses facts to back them up.
2. 2nd person doesn't like or agree with the opinion so calls first person ignorant and racist.
3. Person 1 is offended by this and continues the name calling.
4. The board goes to shit.

If you don't like an opinion that has been given on the board, state your counter opinion (without insults and accusations) and leave it at that. I know you wish that the majority of people on this board would share your opinions, but let's be real, they don't. And we're not at fault for that, so don't hold the board hostage for that reason, it's not fair to the rest of us.
bokes15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2011, 10:45 AM   #26
FCardelle
High School JV MVP
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Spain
Posts: 678
FCardelle has an OK reputation so far
Default Re: The *OFFICIAL* Europe vs. Canada thread

If you don't close this thread, I will use it.

DJMason insulted European basketball.
The pathetic clown whose name I won't write, and who is not even a Raptors fan, but he sometimes posts here because this is the only place where he can insult people whenever he wants without being banned or being sent to hospital, and that produces him sexual pleasure ... well, he insulted me again.

I don't want disturb the forum, so I am using this thread. I think this is its purpose, so I can't see the problem.
FCardelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2011, 11:24 AM   #27
DJMason
High School JV MVP
 
DJMason's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 691
DJMason is considered somewhat coolDJMason is considered somewhat cool
Default Re: The *OFFICIAL* Europe vs. Canada thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by FCardelle
If you don't close this thread, I will use it.

DJMason insulted European basketball.
The pathetic clown whose name I won't write, and who is not even a Raptors fan, but he sometimes posts here because this is the only place where he can insult people whenever he wants without being banned or being sent to hospital, and that produces him sexual pleasure ... well, he insulted me again.

I don't want disturb the forum, so I am using this thread. I think this is its purpose, so I can't see the problem.

I'm honestly not trying to be a d!ck here, but did this post even have a purpose other than to drop my name for some reason? Yes I insulted European basketball, but I did it in defense of the greatest Canadian to ever play NBA basketball which is, you know, what this forum is dedicated to discussing since that's the league the Raptors play in. Now if I trolled a Euro-league forum for that purpose, then that'd be a different story.

I personally vow not to discuss European basketball on this forum again. This is an NBA forum, and as such I will restrict any comments about European basketball to evaluations of European players who have declared themselves for the NBA draft. I hope to God everyone else does the same.
DJMason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2011, 11:39 AM   #28
bluerap
Local High School Star
 
bluerap's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 1,014
bluerap has decent reputation
Default Re: The *OFFICIAL* Europe vs. Canada thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by bokes15
^^ That's the most annoying part of it all. That you guys continue to complain that it's about who shares your views vs. who doesn't share your views. There are established posters here like Toni, Q, Rapsfan, RT, etc... who can tell you that in the time i've been here (speaking for me personally, not anyone else) we've had many disagreements over the years on a variety of topics. But the reason it never escalated to this point is because this is how the disagreement/argument would go.

1. I state my opinion, and add some facts to back it up.
2. They state their counter opinion and use facts to back it up.
3. Either we come to an eventual agreement or we agree to disagree and it ends there.

Now what happens is.
1. A person states there opinions and uses facts to back them up.
2. 2nd person doesn't like or agree with the opinion so calls first person ignorant and racist.
3. Person 1 is offended by this and continues the name calling.
4. The board goes to shit.

If you don't like an opinion that has been given on the board, state your counter opinion (without insults and accusations) and leave it at that. I know you wish that the majority of people on this board would share your opinions, but let's be real, they don't. And we're not at fault for that, so don't hold the board hostage for that reason, it's not fair to the rest of us.

Good point.

I remember when the TJ vs. Jose argument was going on and no one said anything about euros. Perhaps because it was a 50/50 split, even the majority favouring Jose. But those were rational arguments and no one took it personally.

I think this thread should remain open, even sticky. If the thread bothers you, than you don't even have to open it. But at least when other threads get out of hand we can all direct posters back here.
bluerap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2011, 11:44 AM   #29
DJMason
High School JV MVP
 
DJMason's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 691
DJMason is considered somewhat coolDJMason is considered somewhat cool
Default Re: The *OFFICIAL* Europe vs. Canada thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluerap
Good point.

I remember when the TJ vs. Jose argument was going on and no one said anything about euros. Perhaps because it was a 50/50 split, even the majority favouring Jose. But those were rational arguments and no one took it personally.

I think this thread should remain open, even sticky. If the thread bothers you, than you don't even have to open it. But at least when other threads get out of hand we can all direct posters back here.

Honestly even as recent as the Bosh debates, the Euro argument wasn't nearly as strong. Hell I was even someone who preferred Bargs at 10 mill to Bosh at max $$$ at one point since I thought he'd grow and not regress if given a shot, for which me and bokey had some relatively heated discussion that in no way involved Europe.

My opinions always have and always will depend on what a player accomplishes/can accomplish at the NBA level since that's what matters to the Toronto Raptors.
DJMason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2011, 01:05 PM   #30
bokes15
Playoffs!
 
bokes15's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: New York City
Posts: 9,272
bokes15 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbokes15 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbokes15 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbokes15 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbokes15 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbokes15 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbokes15 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbokes15 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster
Default Re: The *OFFICIAL* Europe vs. Canada thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJMason
Honestly even as recent as the Bosh debates, the Euro argument wasn't nearly as strong. Hell I was even someone who preferred Bargs at 10 mill to Bosh at max $$$ at one point since I thought he'd grow and not regress if given a shot, for which me and bokey had some relatively heated discussion that in no way involved Europe.

My opinions always have and always will depend on what a player accomplishes/can accomplish at the NBA level since that's what matters to the Toronto Raptors.
Exactly. Like i've said before, I remember you and even Toni adamantly arguing in favor of Bargnani over Bosh (and I know for various reasons like cheaper cost, Bosh not being a leader, etc...). And even though I didn't agree with you guys, it remained a healthy basketball debate that at the end of the day we were all fine with, despite varying opinions. But now, it's being taken to the next level by saying that we like or dislike a player based on where they come from, that's just ridiculous and out of hand. I'm tired of having every topic turning into people being called "euro-haters" and those people in turn having to spend mutiple posts explaining that this is a BASKETBALL forum where basketball is discussed.

Edit: To add, let me just put this out there... The BEST and HIGHEST PAID players on ANY team are subject to the MOST SCRUTINY. That's a damn near fact that you just have to live with. And who are the highest paid and best players on our team this year? Bargnani and Calderon. Notice they took a lot less heat while Bosh was here? Well now Bosh is not here and that role falls down on them, if you can't deal with that, i'm gonna be blunt. A Raptors NBA basketabll forum is the wrong place for you to be.

Last edited by bokes15 : 04-11-2011 at 01:08 PM.
bokes15 is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by:
Reply


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 12:26 PM.




NBA Basketball Forum Key Links:
InsideHoops Home
NBA Rumors
Basketball Blog
NBA Daily Recaps
NBA Videos
Fantasy Basketball
NBA Mock Draft
NBA Free Agents
All-Star Weekend
---
High School Basketball
Streetball
---
InsideHoops Twitter
Search Our Site















Powered by vBulletin Version 3.5.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd. Terms of Use/Service | Privacy Policy