Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Streetball Forum

Streetball Forum Streetball Message Board - street basketball and streetball forum

Old 04-08-2011, 08:20 PM   #1
bobbyflay
Kids at the park dunk on me

Default How to have a beast mentality?

I used to be able to have a on/off switch to go beast in game. Now, I just go soft the whole game unless something pisses me off. Is there something I can do alone that can make me a beast again. I can't join football/any of those sports as of now. When I try to motivate myself, it's just short term. Before, I was like he's good, that guy is good, I'm better. Now I'm like, that guy has better hops than me, that guy guy has more speed then me, that guy has a better shot than me, that guy is a better player than me..
bobbyflay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2011, 10:10 PM   #2
theydidntnameme
Can barely lace up my sneakers

Default Re: How to have a beast mentality?

try doing crazy stuff. like slapping yourself and talking to yourself. u might want to do it in a bathroom or something if u dont want people to see u. u dont have 2 walk on the court running ur mouth, just put that game face on and tune everything out... like when u shoot, u wont even see the defender, all u see is the basket.. that sort of thing
theydidntnameme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2011, 11:25 PM   #3
BrentISballin
Local High School Star

When I want to get motivated I just watch youtube mixes of random bball players and i'll play a song that motivates me over the top of the vid
BrentISballin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2011, 12:09 AM   #4
Clippersfan86
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbyflay
I used to be able to have a on/off switch to go beast in game. Now, I just go soft the whole game unless something pisses me off. Is there something I can do alone that can make me a beast again. I can't join football/any of those sports as of now. When I try to motivate myself, it's just short term. Before, I was like he's good, that guy is good, I'm better. Now I'm like, that guy has better hops than me, that guy guy has more speed then me, that guy has a better shot than me, that guy is a better player than me..

Similar to my thread earlier. Can't turn it on anymore unless someone talks trash like you.
Clippersfan86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2011, 04:10 AM   #5
bdreason
Game. Set. Match.

I'm 30 and I play really passive now most of the time, because honestly, I really don't give a ****.

If I'm getting beat on defense I'll get pumped up, but I'm a good defender so I can usually lock my guy down without getting worked up. If the guy I'm playing against wants to get real physical, then obviously I have to step my game up, but the it feels more like a chore these days.

When I was playing ball in HS and College I definitely had more dog in me. I just mainly want to relax and have a good time now. I have too much drama in my real life... I don't need more playinn ball.
bdreason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2011, 04:53 AM   #6
Sticks
Serious playground baller

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdreason
When I was playing ball in HS and College I definitely had more dog in me. I just mainly want to relax and have a good time now. I have too much drama in my real life... I don't need more playinn ball.

It's mostly this. There's 2 reasons to play basketball mainly. First is to win at all costs. Second is to have fun and relax. If you play for the second reason that beast mentallity usually takes a back-seat.
Sticks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2011, 12:41 PM   #7
Rake2204
7-time NBA All-Star

I try to imagine someone watching me play and judging me off of how I'm doing. For instance, if my friends or my little brothers are watching me, I tend to step up an extra notch. Therefore, when they're not there, I just to imagine they are. I also picture people not thinking I'm good enough, bringing in a "prove yourself" factor.
Rake2204 is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: