Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > NBA Team Forums > Toronto Raptors Forum

Toronto Raptors Forum Toronto Raptors message board - Toronto Raptors forum

Old 04-05-2011, 11:00 AM   #1
Jballer
Local High School Star

Default D'Antoni brings agent to practice...

Needs work on his 3 pointer?

Another earlier post says the NY meglomaniac owner wont discuss extensions with Walsh D"antoni or anyone till Issah tells him what to do.

http://www.fannation.com/truth_and_rumors/nba

D'Antoni for coach of the Raptors anyone ??

I am mixed. I like Triano but....

Thoughts ?
Jballer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2011, 04:40 PM   #2
Toni
The Clumsy Waiter

Default Re: D'Antoni brings agent to practice...

Not a fan of making our defense even worse. No thanks.
Toni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2011, 05:29 PM   #3
bokes15
Playoffs!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toni
Not a fan of making our defense even worse. No thanks.
agree 100%. There's very few established coaches that I wouldn't take over Jay Triano and Mike D'antoni happens to be one of them. Sure he'd probably improve our offense, but our defense would probably get even worse if that's possible.
bokes15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2011, 08:44 PM   #4
kmart
No props needed

A lot of players want to play for him though... So maybe pick him up sign an allstar and fire him before the season begins?
kmart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2011, 09:36 PM   #5
bokes15
Playoffs!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmart
A lot of players want to play for him though... So maybe pick him up sign an allstar and fire him before the season begins?
They want to play for him because he has a fast paced offense and doesn't hold anyone accountable on the defensive end. Not something I look for in a quality head coach for a championship level team.
Old 04-05-2011, 10:12 PM   #6
keantona
I hit open 5-footers

He's not ideal but I'd take him. He would at least give the team an identity, something other than the 'laughing stock of the league' one they have now.
keantona is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2011, 10:33 PM   #7
RaininThrees
Meats Don't Clash

Quote:
Originally Posted by bokes15
They want to play for him because he has a fast paced offense and doesn't hold anyone accountable on the defensive end. Not something I look for in a quality head coach for a championship level team.

Exactly. They love him bcs they're gross #s go up, leading to nicer pay cheques.
RaininThrees is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2011, 01:17 AM   #8
kmart
No props needed

Quote:

I'll agree with you there. Simple way to put it hes overrated 8 years of coaching not once has he had the finals.
kmart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2011, 09:43 AM   #9
bokes15
Playoffs!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmart
I'll agree with you there. Simple way to put it hes overrated 8 years of coaching not once has he had the finals.
Right. And he definitely had the talent to get it done. A prime Nash/Amar'e/Marion along with solid support guys like Diaw, Joe Johnson (at one point), Barbosa, Bell, etc etc... They should've had at least one finals appearance. I mean hell, Dallas had one.
Old 04-06-2011, 09:49 AM   #10
FCardelle
High School JV MVP

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by wikipedia
D’Antoni began his career as head coach for his most loyal club, Milan. He remained for four seasons, from 1990 to 1994, leading the club to the 1992 European Championship Final Four and 1993 Korac Cup. He was then chosen to coach Benetton Treviso, another major Italian basketball club. During his tenure (1994–1997), the team captured the Cup of Europe and Coppa Italia (in 1995) and won the domestic league title in 1996–97. Coach D’Antoni's Italian teams went to the playoffs each season, and he was twice voted the league’s Coach of the Year. In 2001, D'Antoni returned to Italy for a second stint as the coach of Benetton Treviso. In his one season back in Europe, he led the team to a 28–8 record, a league championship and 2002 Euroleague Final Four, coaching a team filled with many former NBA stars.
He will win titles if he has good players.
FCardelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2011, 10:25 AM   #11
DJMason
High School JV MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by FCardelle
He will win titles if he has good players.

He's had a HOF point guard (arguably the most important position in the game) and two perenial allstars play for him all at the same time with a solid bench. If he needs a better team than that to win then he isn't a good coach since I'm pretty sure I could coach a team to a championship if the requirement is that it be better than having the Suns team in its prime (before I get critiqued this is an obvious overstatement).
DJMason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2011, 12:29 PM   #12
FCardelle
High School JV MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJMason
He's had a HOF point guard (arguably the most important position in the game) and two perenial allstars play for him all at the same time with a solid bench. If he needs a better team than that to win then he isn't a good coach since I'm pretty sure I could coach a team to a championship if the requirement is that it be better than having the Suns team in its prime (before I get critiqued this is an obvious overstatement).
It is Nash who has never won any title, not D'Antoni.
FCardelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2011, 02:19 PM   #13
Jballer
Local High School Star

Further angst: Daily Buzz CNNSI

Howard Beck, New York Times: Before the game, [Mike] D’Antoni came as close as he has to admitting some misgivings about the [Carmelo] Anthony deal — in particular the decision to radically alter the roster so late in the season. “But the bottom line, either you’re going to be a team player, as we ask our players to do,” D’Antoni said, adding, “And if it’s better for the organization to do it, you do it. And it’s not, ‘Oh my, what’s going to happen to me?’ Well, you know what, this is the best for the team and best for the future of the New York Knicks; then if I’m supposed to be the coach, then I go along with what’s best for the Knicks. And I think it’s clear that it’s best for the Knicks.”

--

As for D'Antoni over other vetern coaches available: Who ?? Who next year?

I am unsure if the guy is a winner in the finals but he did take teams (with quality players) deep into the playoff in multiple years.

I dunno the answer tho I think I smell - smoke.
Jballer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2011, 02:28 PM   #14
Toni
The Clumsy Waiter

Quote:

**** off man you are the most annoying poster in the world. That comment really pissed me off. Nash is one of the best point guards and passers of ALL TIME.

Now, if we were talking about Jose Calderon or a guy like Sarunas Jasikevicius, for instance, it would be a completely different story. Right?
Toni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2011, 04:11 PM   #15
DJMason
High School JV MVP

Quote:

I'm going to speak some truth that you're not gonna like: If it didn't happen in the NBA it doesn't count.

If Nash went to the sub D-League that is Europe he'd mop up those non-defense playing scrubs all day, every day AND shoot better than them. There's a reason why Europe is where people like Iverson go to get overpaid and have their careers die.

I'm with Toni, with comments like that on Canada's team's board, GTFO.
DJMason is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: