Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > NBA Forum

NBA Forum NBA Message Board - NBA Fan Forum

Old 04-11-2011, 07:38 PM   #1
2LeTTeRS
Retired Bloggissist

2LeTTeRS is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster2LeTTeRS is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster2LeTTeRS is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster2LeTTeRS is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster2LeTTeRS is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster2LeTTeRS is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster2LeTTeRS is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster2LeTTeRS is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster
Default Jay Bilas - Colleges SHOULD NOT pay players; but they SHOULD get paid endorsements

Quote:
ESPN Analyst Jay Bilas thinks collegiate players should have the opportunity to make money while in college from endorsement deals. In an interview with NCAA Hoops radio show host Clay Dade, Bilas said the principal of amateurism is outdated and doesn't believe its morally right. "I don't think that college athletes need to be paid by the universities but they shouldn't be restricted from realizing monetary gains from outside the universities," said Bilas. He went on to talk about how former Blue Devil Trajan Langdon was able to play professional baseball while playing Duke (making roughly $500,000 a year) and still be eligible but players are prohibited from being paid to do commercials.

Check out the rest of the interview at Blogtalkradio.com/ncaahoops because Jay Bilas made some excellent points about the issues he has with the NCAA amateurism rules.

http://www.courtcred.com/college/ite...-get-paid.html

Agree or disagree?
2LeTTeRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2011, 07:43 PM   #2
YAH trick YAH
Local High School Star

YAH trick YAH has decent reputationYAH trick YAH has decent reputation
Default Re: Jay Bilas - Colleges SHOULD NOT pay players; but they SHOULD get paid endorsements

Agree. They shouldn't get paid directly from the school for going there. The scholarships are enough. The elite players that are making the school money should get a little something though. They are featured in ads for TV networks, their likenesses used in video games (please bring back CH2K), and jerseys with their numbers on them.
YAH trick YAH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2011, 08:00 PM   #3
Crown&Coke
Stay Strong Droth

Crown&Coke is popular on this boardCrown&Coke is popular on this boardCrown&Coke is popular on this boardCrown&Coke is popular on this boardCrown&Coke is popular on this board
Default Re: Jay Bilas - Colleges SHOULD NOT pay players; but they SHOULD get paid endorsements

how about all the money generated by NCAA sports be used on more scholarships for kids who are not athletically gifted instead of going to high ranking officials to fatten their pockets?

I don't know how you can allow for kids to get paid on an equality basis. Some guys have more commercial appeal than others, and you are opening up a big can of worms.

There is no easy answer, but the kids are getting scammed hard. Just pay them. Take all the money, let the school have 1/4th of it, and the rest give to all college athletes as a stipend. Even the Lacrosse team gets a cut.

NCAA is a joke, but i love it still
Crown&Coke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2011, 08:02 PM   #4
2LeTTeRS
Retired Bloggissist

2LeTTeRS is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster2LeTTeRS is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster2LeTTeRS is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster2LeTTeRS is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster2LeTTeRS is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster2LeTTeRS is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster2LeTTeRS is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster2LeTTeRS is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Also who knew Bilas was a practicing attorney who went to law school while being an assistant coach at Duke? This guy coached at Duke for 3 years, and in that span they made it to the Final Four all 3 years and won 2 national championships.
Old 04-11-2011, 08:14 PM   #5
UTRavens
Can barely lace up my sneakers

UTRavens has an OK reputation so far

I never understood why this was even a legitimate debate. Colleges aren't just sitting around in piles of money. Start paying players, and watch big time college sports become as competitive as women's basketball.
UTRavens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2011, 08:17 PM   #6
2LeTTeRS
Retired Bloggissist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crown&Coke
how about all the money generated by NCAA sports be used on more scholarships for kids who are not athletically gifted instead of going to high ranking officials to fatten their pockets?

I don't know how you can allow for kids to get paid on an equality basis. Some guys have more commercial appeal than others, and you are opening up a big can of worms.

There is no easy answer, but the kids are getting scammed hard. Just pay them. Take all the money, let the school have 1/4th of it, and the rest give to all college athletes as a stipend. Even the Lacrosse team gets a cut.

NCAA is a joke, but i love it still

Do you know how much taxes would increase to support public universities if they gave that much of the revenue pay to players? That is just not a good idea. I say ditch the amateurism rules, let players get paid for commercials and sign shoe deals.

I just see Bilas' idea as a better option than keeping the status quo or attempting to have the NCAA or the colleges decide how much to pay what players.
Old 04-11-2011, 09:47 PM   #7
ALBballer
Religion? LOL? WTF?

ALBballer has an incredible reputation hereALBballer has an incredible reputation hereALBballer has an incredible reputation hereALBballer has an incredible reputation hereALBballer has an incredible reputation hereALBballer has an incredible reputation hereALBballer has an incredible reputation hereALBballer has an incredible reputation here

I'm not well informed with the rules, but why aren't college players allowed to get paid by sponsors? Are they considered professionals if they are getting paid? Sounds ridiculous to me and unfair. Many of the other students in my UG (some who might even have academic scholarships) are not held to the same standards. I went to a business school and the majority of my classmates held interships and/or FT jobs.

I know law schools restrict FT students from working over 20 hours a week but I don't understand why athletes aren't allowed to profit from their trade. The rest of society does so...
ALBballer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2011, 09:58 PM   #8
2LeTTeRS
Retired Bloggissist

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALBballer
I'm not well informed with the rules, but why aren't college players allowed to get paid by sponsors? Are they considered professionals if they are getting paid? Sounds ridiculous to me and unfair. Many of the other students in my UG (some who might even have academic scholarships) are not held to the same standards. I went to a business school and the majority of my classmates held interships and/or FT jobs.

I know law schools restrict FT students from working over 20 hours a week but I don't understand why athletes aren't allowed to profit from their trade. The rest of society does so...

NCAA has rules which require players to be amateurs to play for their universities. Because of this players lose their eligibility if they are paid in anyway for playing, including profitting off their likeness. They get their scholarship and certain other academic benefits but thats it.

This means they can't get paid for commercials, shoe deals, aren't entitled to a share of their jersey sales, don't get paid for inclusion in video games, etc.; as well as prohibiting payment from schools, AAU coaches and agents.
Old 04-12-2011, 04:14 AM   #9
kentatm
NBA Legend

kentatm is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablekentatm is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablekentatm is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablekentatm is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablekentatm is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablekentatm is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablekentatm is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablekentatm is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablekentatm is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablekentatm is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablekentatm is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

why would this be any different than allowing big time donors to pay kids?

A school like Oregon that is damn near subsidized by Nike would suddenly get all of the best possible players in all sports.
kentatm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2011, 04:29 AM   #10
DuMa
Canned

DuMa has a terrific reputationDuMa has a terrific reputationDuMa has a terrific reputationDuMa has a terrific reputationDuMa has a terrific reputation

i like the idea of paid endorsements but not paid currently to the student athlete at the time while he/she is still elgible for their respective academic institutions. how bout holding the money to be paid to the student-athlete until after their elgibility has ended. sort of like a trust fund.

im not sure how to do this but i know the ncaa right now is just straight robbing these kids. theyve made so much money off these kids that it doesnt feel right.
DuMa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2011, 04:40 AM   #11
wTFaMonkey
RP 4 lyfe

wTFaMonkey is considered somewhat coolwTFaMonkey is considered somewhat coolwTFaMonkey is considered somewhat cool

Im guessing its not fair for the bench warmer compared to the star.
wTFaMonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2011, 08:37 AM   #12
Real Men Wear Green
Don't panic.

Real Men Wear Green is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterReal Men Wear Green is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterReal Men Wear Green is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterReal Men Wear Green is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterReal Men Wear Green is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterReal Men Wear Green is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterReal Men Wear Green is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterReal Men Wear Green is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterReal Men Wear Green is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterReal Men Wear Green is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterReal Men Wear Green is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by kentatm
why would this be any different than allowing big time donors to pay kids?

A school like Oregon that is damn near subsidized by Nike would suddenly get all of the best possible players in all sports.
Nike isn't going to decide against signing the next LeBron James just because he decided to go to UNC. Certain schools would definitely have an unfair advantage, but that's already going on anyway.

On the massive plus side it would lead to a lot more players staying in school for 3 or 4 years. Some guys would still go pro ASAP but if a guy has hundred thousand or million-dollar ad revenue suddenly he's not going pro early out of desperate need.

And lastly, NCAA athletes are getting paid all the time anyway. Legalize it and we don't have to deal with all of these "scandals."
Real Men Wear Green is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2011, 08:39 AM   #13
Real Men Wear Green
Don't panic.

Real Men Wear Green is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterReal Men Wear Green is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterReal Men Wear Green is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterReal Men Wear Green is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterReal Men Wear Green is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterReal Men Wear Green is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterReal Men Wear Green is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterReal Men Wear Green is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterReal Men Wear Green is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterReal Men Wear Green is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterReal Men Wear Green is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by wTFaMonkey
Im guessing its not fair for the bench warmer compared to the star.
Of course it isn't. But that's how it works in the pros, and does anyone care?
Real Men Wear Green is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2011, 08:47 AM   #14
LilBTheBasedGod

If that means we can get real names on NCAA 2K12, then sure do it.
Old 04-12-2011, 08:54 AM   #15
Rake2204
7-time NBA All-Star

Rake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:
Originally Posted by LilBTheBasedGod
If that means we can get real names on NCAA 2K12, then sure do it.
Ha, seriously. I saw my brothers playing College Hoops 2K8 the other day though with updated tournament rosters. It would be nice to have the official squads with real faces though; seems like it'd cost a chunk of change and take a whole lot of work.
Rake2204 is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: