Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > NBA Team Forums > Toronto Raptors Forum

Toronto Raptors Forum Toronto Raptors message board - Toronto Raptors forum

Old 04-24-2011, 09:52 PM   #16
bballnoob
Decent college freshman

bballnoob is considered somewhat coolbballnoob is considered somewhat cool
Default Re: Raps Forum Eastern Conference Playoff Predictions

Can't argue with success I suppose but the Atlanta offense is such a cluster****. I don't even know what Drew draws up in those timeouts, it's just an isolation every time. Reminds me of Vinny Del-Negro with Chicago.
bballnoob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2011, 10:04 PM   #17
bokes15
Playoffs!

bokes15 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbokes15 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbokes15 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbokes15 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbokes15 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbokes15 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbokes15 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbokes15 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

^^ Yeah, the problem to me is actually just the fact that Orlando is lacking good perimeter defenders and it's getting exposed this year. If Atlanta goes against Chicago in the 2nd round, they will get handled rather easily IMO.
bokes15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2011, 09:30 AM   #18
Jballer
Local High School Star

Jballer has decent reputationJballer has decent reputation

I am a little stunned by Orlando too - I may have been way off the mark.

(looks that way)

Frankly I know they are weak perimeter defenders; I just assumed that with the talent on paper there ( Arenas. Turkaglo, QRich, Jameer, et al) some of them could have just turned it up a notch. I mean none of these guys are hall of famers but sheesh - there is a lot of savy vetern talent there.

I was giving Orlando (3 major runs last 3 seasons and Dwight Howard) the benefit of experience ; I kinda thought Miami or Celtics verses Orlando in the finals with Orlando actually winning - being so strong up the middle. Nobody to contain Howard.
Jballer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2011, 11:41 AM   #19
bballnoob
Decent college freshman

bballnoob is considered somewhat coolbballnoob is considered somewhat cool

It just makes you appreciate how good Howard is and the lack of a true second option on the team is glaring. Surrounding a premier big with shooters is a proven strategy (hell a similar Orlando team went to the Finals recently) but Nelson and Turk have to absolutely play out of their minds if their defense isn't able to completely save them.

They gambled getting Arenas to try and get that second go-to guy but he's been one of the worst players in the NBA this past year on Orlando IMO. 35% shooting with the minutes he got is just horrific.
bballnoob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2011, 09:30 AM   #20
Jballer
Local High School Star

Jballer has decent reputationJballer has decent reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by bballnoob
They gambled getting Arenas to try and get that second go-to guy but he's been one of the worst players in the NBA this past year on Orlando IMO. 35% shooting with the minutes he got is just horrific.

+1

Still I thought QRich had some gas left in the tank. Frankly when the deals went down I thought Qrich and Turk were better than Vince on that team. I mean at least Qrich played D consistently. Guess he is not getting minutes.

Jballer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2011, 08:03 AM   #21
bokes15
Playoffs!

bokes15 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbokes15 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbokes15 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbokes15 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbokes15 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbokes15 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbokes15 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbokes15 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Well looks like Atlanta got it done. Surprising, but I don't really care for either team so not really disappointing. Dwight Howard is probably ripped shit right now. He posted career high playoff numbers in scoring, rebounding, and FG% and for all intents and purposes pretty much dominated by himself but had all his teammates fail him, badly.

On another note, I hope that Boston wipes the floor with Miami.
Old 04-29-2011, 09:33 AM   #22
DJMason
High School JV MVP

DJMason is considered somewhat coolDJMason is considered somewhat cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by bokes15
Well looks like Atlanta got it done. Surprising, but I don't really care for either team so not really disappointing. Dwight Howard is probably ripped shit right now. He posted career high playoff numbers in scoring, rebounding, and FG% and for all intents and purposes pretty much dominated by himself but had all his teammates fail him, badly.

On another note, I hope that Boston wipes the floor with Miami.

Miami has pissed me off so much this year that they turned me into a Celtics fan for the simple reason that I see the Celtics as have the best chance to punk them out since if there's one glaring weakness that they have it's that the Heat are self-entitled, soft, whining little ******* and I'm hoping the Celts playing their classic gritty playoff basketball will shut them down hard (with a few miracle shots from Jesus Shuttlesworth thrown in for good measure).

That said I'd think the Celtics would fare much better if they still had Perkins.
DJMason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2011, 12:20 PM   #23
Toni
The Clumsy Waiter

Toni is considered somewhat coolToni is considered somewhat coolToni is considered somewhat cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJMason
Miami has pissed me off so much this year that they turned me into a Celtics fan for the simple reason that I see the Celtics as have the best chance to punk them out since if there's one glaring weakness that they have it's that the Heat are self-entitled, soft, whining little ******* and I'm hoping the Celts playing their classic gritty playoff basketball will shut them down hard (with a few miracle shots from Jesus Shuttlesworth thrown in for good measure).

That said I'd think the Celtics would fare much better if they still had Perkins.

+1

**** Miami
Toni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2011, 07:10 PM   #24
bokes15
Playoffs!

Me too, i've said it before but I hate the heat and everything they stand for, and it would make me extremely happy to see the Celtics take out both the Knicks AND the Heat in the same playoffs. And I don't just want them to win, I want them to win handily, like 4-1 or 4-2.
Old 04-29-2011, 11:34 PM   #25
bada bing
College star

bada bing is a pretty well-respected posterbada bing is a pretty well-respected posterbada bing is a pretty well-respected poster

Bulls will take care of the hawks in 5 or 6 games.

Boston will take care of the heat in 6 games.

I am looking forward to the Celtics/Bulls east finals.
bada bing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2011, 08:07 PM   #26
keantona
I hit open 5-footers

keantona has decent reputation

I could be made to look an idiot on this by the end of the playoffs, but...

... I think fans, writers and other teams are deluding themselves about Miami.

You have one team whose third option would instantly become the first option on most playoff teams. Their second option is the best player in the world. That's a talent imbalance with the entire rest of the league. Fourth, fifth options, bench? Doesn't matter remotely as much as having the central pieces right. Yes, they're new together this year, but they had eighty-two semi-serious practice games to work out how to maximise their talent advantage- that should be enough for any team.

I think it's been obvious since that stupid ESPN show that Miami were the strong favorites to win this year. So obvious that writers have worked themselves into knots to come up with reasons why the Heat actually won't win, so that they can sound sophisticated next to the un-basketball-educated types who think that the team with vastly more talent than everyone else should win. So obvious (and so obnoxious was the process) that most fans hate the Heat most now, and therefore find reasons to attack them- and if they are fans of contenders, find reasons to comfort themselves that they can win. So obvious that players on other teams have to convince themselves that other teams are bigger threats, because if they face up to how good the Heat can be now and for the next several years, they'd get disheartened.

Looking through writers' and fans' previews for the playoffs this year, you'd think the Heat were long shots. They only got a small percentage of the championship predictions most place I looked. And yet... all through this year, the Heat have been the (often overwhelming) favorite to win the championship with almost all the bookies (even though the anti-Heat feeling will have impacted where the bets are placed, ensuring their odds are not as short as they'd be if LeBron wasn't a jackass). I think that's a better predictor than the feelings of writers or fans, because these guys' money depends on getting those odds right.

Like I said, maybe I'm just an idiot missing all the intricacies which some think will mean the Heat really have little chance. But I feel that this year that even idiots can see who the likely NBA champions are.
keantona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2011, 09:31 PM   #27
bokes15
Playoffs!

I respectfully disagree. I feel like talent, depth, and chemistry are bigger advantages than you're making them out to be. For Miami to win it all it (which seems like it would mean taking out Boston, Chicago, AND LA or OKC, it would take a lot. Their big 3 can't be on fire every game and especially against a defense like Boston, I think they will probably double down on Bron and Wade and make the rest of the guys beat them. It won't be an easy series for either team but I honestly think advantage goes to Boston going in. They have 4 all-stars, 3 hall of famers in their starting lineup, so they may be older but they are no slouch either.
Old 05-02-2011, 02:08 PM   #28
lilbeastnani
InsideScoops

lilbeastnani has a bad reputationlilbeastnani has a bad reputationlilbeastnani has a bad reputationlilbeastnani has a bad reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilbeastnani
i'm going with Miami coming out of the east and OKC coming out of the west. book it.
Remember this? Mark it down, take a picture.
lilbeastnani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2011, 05:52 PM   #29
Toni
The Clumsy Waiter

Toni is considered somewhat coolToni is considered somewhat coolToni is considered somewhat cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by bokes15
I respectfully disagree. I feel like talent, depth, and chemistry are bigger advantages than you're making them out to be. For Miami to win it all it (which seems like it would mean taking out Boston, Chicago, AND LA or OKC, it would take a lot. Their big 3 can't be on fire every game and especially against a defense like Boston, I think they will probably double down on Bron and Wade and make the rest of the guys beat them. It won't be an easy series for either team but I honestly think advantage goes to Boston going in. They have 4 all-stars, 3 hall of famers in their starting lineup, so they may be older but they are no slouch either.

If Boston doesn`t start playing better D on Miami`s shooters the series will be over before you know it.
Toni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2011, 06:03 PM   #30
bokes15
Playoffs!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toni
If Boston doesn`t start playing better D on Miami`s shooters the series will be over before you know it.
Well, yeah in hindsight. I made that comment before the series started but anyways I agree. I can't see them leaving James Jones or any other role players so wide open like that again in game 2 though.
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: