Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > NBA Team Forums > Toronto Raptors Forum

Toronto Raptors Forum Toronto Raptors message board - Toronto Raptors forum

Old 04-13-2011, 08:50 AM   #1
kwajo
Missing Since 2009

kwajo has an incredible reputation herekwajo has an incredible reputation herekwajo has an incredible reputation herekwajo has an incredible reputation herekwajo has an incredible reputation herekwajo has an incredible reputation herekwajo has an incredible reputation here
Talking Canadian Basketball Fans: D-League Possibly Coming North

It looks like there's a chance that three Canadian teams (Quebec City, Halifax & Saint John) might jump ship from the PBL (yes I know you've never heard of it) next season and are now looking at joining the NBA D-League as a possibility. This would be an amazing development for basketball in Canada, and I would think could be a great way of leveraging the "Canada's Team" marketing the Raptors have been using by adding the ability to send players to D-League teams within the country. The only stumbling block right now is the franchise fee ($2.5 million a year), but apparently even the owner of even the smallest market team, Saint John, thinks there's a business case. Frankly I'm pumped at the possibility!

I know we don't have many east coasters on the board, but I thought this news would be of interest to hoops junkies across the country. Any thoughts?
kwajo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2011, 09:19 AM   #2
bokes15
Playoffs!

bokes15 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbokes15 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbokes15 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbokes15 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbokes15 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbokes15 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbokes15 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbokes15 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster
Default Re: Canadian Basketball Fans: D-League Possibly Coming North

Well we had our own personal version of the D-league this year, so maybe it was just an early taste?

Anyways, as for thoughts on it, I quite honestly have never cared about the d-league and probably never will. I think it's a good idea and all, but I just can't really bring myself to watch it.
bokes15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2011, 12:15 PM   #3
Jballer
Local High School Star

Jballer has decent reputationJballer has decent reputation

More interested in news that the LFLUS is coming to Canada

Lflus.com
Jballer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2011, 12:42 PM   #4
Chamberlain
Riggin' for Wiggins!

Chamberlain has a terrific reputationChamberlain has a terrific reputationChamberlain has a terrific reputationChamberlain has a terrific reputationChamberlain has a terrific reputation

It'd be pretty cool if a team came to Halifax. I'll be moving there in a few months, and I'd definitely check out a few games.
Chamberlain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2011, 02:21 PM   #5
Harrison_Barnes
Local High School Star

Harrison_Barnes is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterHarrison_Barnes is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterHarrison_Barnes is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterHarrison_Barnes is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterHarrison_Barnes is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterHarrison_Barnes is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterHarrison_Barnes is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterHarrison_Barnes is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterHarrison_Barnes is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterHarrison_Barnes is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterHarrison_Barnes is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chamberlain
It'd be pretty cool if a team came to Halifax. I'll be moving there in a few months, and I'd definitely check out a few games.

I would love to have a team there.. and if it means we have to get a DL team first.. well then by all means do it! Atlantic Canada is missing a major sports team..
Harrison_Barnes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2011, 02:23 PM   #6
Chamberlain
Riggin' for Wiggins!

Chamberlain has a terrific reputationChamberlain has a terrific reputationChamberlain has a terrific reputationChamberlain has a terrific reputationChamberlain has a terrific reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harrison_Barnes
I would love to have a team there.. and if it means we have to get a DL team first.. well then by all means do it! Atlantic Canada is missing a major sports team..

Road trip!
Old 04-13-2011, 02:39 PM   #7
Harrison_Barnes
Local High School Star

Harrison_Barnes is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterHarrison_Barnes is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterHarrison_Barnes is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterHarrison_Barnes is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterHarrison_Barnes is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterHarrison_Barnes is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterHarrison_Barnes is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterHarrison_Barnes is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterHarrison_Barnes is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterHarrison_Barnes is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterHarrison_Barnes is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Quote:
Road trip!

Hali isn't that much of a road trip haha. You moving up there for work or something man?
Old 04-13-2011, 02:44 PM   #8
Chamberlain
Riggin' for Wiggins!

From where I am it kinda is. Nah, I'm going back to school at SMU.
Old 04-13-2011, 02:50 PM   #9
Harrison_Barnes
Local High School Star

Quote:
From where I am it kinda is. Nah, I'm going back to school at SMU.

Yeah I supposed your like an 1:30 past me. Thats cool, what are you taking? and were going to have to have some X vs SMU discussions for next years season lol.
Old 04-14-2011, 01:33 PM   #10
kwajo
Missing Since 2009

kwajo has an incredible reputation herekwajo has an incredible reputation herekwajo has an incredible reputation herekwajo has an incredible reputation herekwajo has an incredible reputation herekwajo has an incredible reputation herekwajo has an incredible reputation here

Harrison_Barnes is another Maritimer? Sweet! Welcome to the club!

Chamberlain you should check out the Rainmen in Halifax no matter what league they play in, the quality of play is better than you'd expect, there are a bunch of former NCAA guys on the team and they play decent basketball for less than the cost of going out to see a movie. The Metro Centre sucks as a venue for basketball though, Halifax deserves something a lot better, cause that's one of the worst arenas I've ever been in (this is my way of saying Saint John has a much nicer facility than you Nova Scotian bums ).
kwajo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2011, 03:26 PM   #11
QuebecBaller
Next Great White Hope

QuebecBaller is a pretty well-respected posterQuebecBaller is a pretty well-respected posterQuebecBaller is a pretty well-respected posterQuebecBaller is a pretty well-respected poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwajo
It looks like there's a chance that three Canadian teams (Quebec City, Halifax & Saint John) might jump ship from the PBL (yes I know you've never heard of it) next season and are now looking at joining the NBA D-League as a possibility. This would be an amazing development for basketball in Canada, and I would think could be a great way of leveraging the "Canada's Team" marketing the Raptors have been using by adding the ability to send players to D-League teams within the country. The only stumbling block right now is the franchise fee ($2.5 million a year), but apparently even the owner of even the smallest market team, Saint John, thinks there's a business case. Frankly I'm pumped at the possibility!

I know we don't have many east coasters on the board, but I thought this news would be of interest to hoops junkies across the country. Any thoughts?

If the Quebec Kebs move in the D-League, they must change the logo, because right now...

QuebecBaller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2011, 08:39 PM   #12
insidehoops
Administrator

insidehoops has disabled reputation

The actual new Canadian basketball league, the NBL, will have 7 teams. Some info here:

http://www.insidehoops.com/blog/?p=8171
insidehoops is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2011, 09:19 PM   #13
Chamberlain
Riggin' for Wiggins!

Thanks, Jeff.

Can't wait to see some Halifax Rainmen games

Last edited by Chamberlain : 08-11-2011 at 11:26 PM.
Old 08-11-2011, 09:22 PM   #14
Chamberlain
Riggin' for Wiggins!

@kwajo, just seeing your post now and I completely agree. I've been to the Metro Centre for both hockey and basketball and it's just terrible.
Old 08-12-2011, 12:26 PM   #15
Jballer
Local High School Star

Jballer has decent reputationJballer has decent reputation

Biggest threat eva to the dominance of the NBA once we start advertising to US born players that holding a personal amunt of Marijuana is NOT a criminal offence in Canada .....

Damon Stodemyer leads "old pros" to Canada

Saskatoon used to have a Continental basketball franchise as I recall - supported "reasonably well". Saskatchewan Storm - or Saskatoon Storm ???

Good facility in Sask Place...
Jballer is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: