Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > College and High School Basketball Forum

College and High School Basketball Forum College basketball message board, high school basketball message board

Old 04-14-2011, 12:45 AM   #1
ILLsmak
Life goes on.

ILLsmak has decent reputation
Default Why are people coming out early when there is going to be a lockout?

This baffles me...

Correct me if I'm wrong, but if there's a lockout they're not gonna get paid either, are they?

-Smak
ILLsmak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2011, 01:12 AM   #2
InspiredLebowski
Roy Hibbert Super Star

InspiredLebowski is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableInspiredLebowski is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableInspiredLebowski is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableInspiredLebowski is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableInspiredLebowski is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableInspiredLebowski is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableInspiredLebowski is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableInspiredLebowski is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableInspiredLebowski is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableInspiredLebowski is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableInspiredLebowski is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable
Default Re: Why are people coming out early when there is going to be a lockout?

They can get loans/lines of credit from their agent. A lot of the smaller agents are pissed off about it actually, but there's nothing illegal or improper about it (far as I know). Just the big time agents can easily afford to say give a guy a million dollar credit line where for a lot of the small guys if that guy busts/doesn't get drafted high enough/doesn't pay him back he's outta business.

The lockout's definitely a reason to pause if you're not guaranteed a high draft slot, but if you are the only reason to consider it is just that you won't get to play ball.
InspiredLebowski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2011, 02:29 AM   #3
UtahJazzFan88
Jazz Fan

UtahJazzFan88 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterUtahJazzFan88 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterUtahJazzFan88 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterUtahJazzFan88 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterUtahJazzFan88 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterUtahJazzFan88 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterUtahJazzFan88 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterUtahJazzFan88 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster
Default Re: Why are people coming out early when there is going to be a lockout?

I don't understand the logic of Harrison Barnes going back to school, I guess it's great to go back to school, but he's basically denying himself a chance at a Top 3 Pick, there isn't much room at all to improve either.
UtahJazzFan88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2011, 12:58 PM   #4
KG215
NBA Legend and Hall of Famer

KG215 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterKG215 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterKG215 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterKG215 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterKG215 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterKG215 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterKG215 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterKG215 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterKG215 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterKG215 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by UtahJazzFan88
I don't understand the logic of Harrison Barnes going back to school, I guess it's great to go back to school, but he's basically denying himself a chance at a Top 3 Pick, there isn't much room at all to improve either.

Perry Jones and Jared Sullinger would have a chance to go just as high as Barnes. Why do you understand the logic of them going back to school?
KG215 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2011, 01:17 PM   #5
Qwyjibo
Yankee.Hotel.Foxtrot

Qwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterQwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterQwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterQwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterQwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterQwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterQwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterQwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterQwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterQwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterQwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by KG215
Perry Jones and Jared Sullinger would have a chance to go just as high as Barnes. Why do you understand the logic of them going back to school?
They don't make sense either. All these guys would be taken in the first 5-7 picks of the draft with each one having a legit shot at #1 if they impress in the pre-draft and individual workouts.

There was a story about Mike Bibby a couple months ago about how glad he was that he declared for the draft even though there was a lockout pending then too. I'm pretty guys like Bibby, Carter, Hughes and even Olowokandi (who made some damn nice money in his career) had no regrets entering the draft. It's too risky. Who knows, you might have a down year that doesn't reflect your true talent level, or get injured or whatever. Even dropping 5 spots will cost you a fair bit of money. Unless you really like school and come from a wealthy family, I don't see the benefit of turning down a guaranteed high pick.
Qwyjibo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2011, 02:17 PM   #6
ukfan22
Great young streetballer

ukfan22 has decent reputation

Barnes, Sullinger and Perry Jones are all coming back because of the lockout.

If Knight or T Jones comes back, it will be because of the lockout.
ukfan22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2011, 02:20 PM   #7
RedBlackAttack
The Paterfamilias

RedBlackAttack is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRedBlackAttack is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRedBlackAttack is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRedBlackAttack is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRedBlackAttack is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRedBlackAttack is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRedBlackAttack is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRedBlackAttack is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRedBlackAttack is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRedBlackAttack is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRedBlackAttack is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Barnes hasn't officially declared that he is coming back to school, right? I know there are rumors out there that he enrolled in fall semester classes for 2011, but I don't buy into every rumor I hear. Unless I am missing something, there is nothing official on Barnes.

Derrick Williams just declared for the draft and hired an agent... No surprise there.
RedBlackAttack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2011, 02:28 PM   #8
Qwyjibo
Yankee.Hotel.Foxtrot

Qwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterQwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterQwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterQwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterQwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterQwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterQwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterQwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterQwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterQwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterQwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Quote:
Derrick Williams just declared for the draft and hired an agent... No surprise there.
Smart guy. With guys like Jones and Sullinger out, it gives Williams and even bigger incentive to go into the draft. Less competition for him and he's probably locked in for a top 3 pick right now. This is why it's a good move to wait before making a decision. Someone like Brandon Knight could sneak his way into the top 5 with some good workouts if he decides to go. He'd have no chance of that if all the other top underclassmen went into the draft.
Qwyjibo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2011, 02:44 PM   #9
RedBlackAttack
The Paterfamilias

RedBlackAttack is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRedBlackAttack is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRedBlackAttack is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRedBlackAttack is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRedBlackAttack is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRedBlackAttack is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRedBlackAttack is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRedBlackAttack is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRedBlackAttack is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRedBlackAttack is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRedBlackAttack is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qwyjibo
Smart guy. With guys like Jones and Sullinger out, it gives Williams and even bigger incentive to go into the draft. Less competition for him and he's probably locked in for a top 3 pick right now. This is why it's a good move to wait before making a decision. Someone like Brandon Knight could sneak his way into the top 5 with some good workouts if he decides to go. He'd have no chance of that if all the other top underclassmen went into the draft.
I'd be surprised if Irving and Williams didn't go 1-2, depending on where the ping-pong balls pop and where team needs lie. Maybe Terrence Jones has a chance to sneak in there, too, if he declares, but I don't see anyone else really leaping either of those two.
Old 04-14-2011, 03:26 PM   #10
KG215

KG215 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterKG215 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterKG215 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterKG215 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterKG215 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterKG215 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterKG215 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterKG215 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterKG215 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterKG215 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedBlackAttack
Barnes hasn't officially declared that he is coming back to school, right? I know there are rumors out there that he enrolled in fall semester classes for 2011, but I don't buy into every rumor I hear. Unless I am missing something, there is nothing official on Barnes.

Nope, Barnes himself hasn't announced his intentions either way, yet. We still have a thread on here that makes it sound factual and as a result people are buying into it as fact. There are a ton of rumors circulating that Barnes is coming back but I think a lot of those are just recycled information. You know, someone "credible" tweeted it, then someone else "credible" saw that tweet, made his own tweet, and it's caught on like wildfire from there.

Then there was an article released about a week ago from some site called isportsweb.com saying Barnes was coming back. It said Barnes has actually enrolled for summer classes at UNC and apparently applied for a summer internship. However, none of this is official because Barnes himself hasn't actually said whether he is returning or going to the NBA.
Old 04-14-2011, 03:34 PM   #11
InspiredLebowski
Roy Hibbert Super Star

InspiredLebowski is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableInspiredLebowski is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableInspiredLebowski is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableInspiredLebowski is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableInspiredLebowski is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableInspiredLebowski is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableInspiredLebowski is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableInspiredLebowski is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableInspiredLebowski is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableInspiredLebowski is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableInspiredLebowski is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

I feel like as every day goes by and there's no official word from Barnes the more likely he is to leave. I figured once Henson and Zeller said they were coming back if Barnes was staying it'd only be a couple days, what's it been, two weeks?
InspiredLebowski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2011, 06:52 PM   #12
KG215

Quote:
Originally Posted by InspiredLebowski
I feel like as every day goes by and there's no official word from Barnes the more likely he is to leave. I figured once Henson and Zeller said they were coming back if Barnes was staying it'd only be a couple days, what's it been, two weeks?

It was last Wednesday when they announced they were coming back.

UNC fans are divided on Barnes taking longer to make his decision. Some see it as nothing more than him having more to consider since he's pretty much a guaranteed top 5 pick, while Zeller and Henson weren't even guaranteed lottery picks. Others think the longer he waits the better the odds he goes to the NBA.
Old 04-15-2011, 09:49 AM   #13
ILLsmak
Life goes on.

ILLsmak has decent reputation

Yea but you guys act like those guys aren't getting money already. They might even be getting money from agents already... it makes no sense to go to the draft with a definite lockout.

But I guess not everyone has long-term thinking skills.

-Smak
ILLsmak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2011, 03:18 PM   #14
RedBlackAttack
The Paterfamilias

Quote:
Originally Posted by ILLsmak
Yea but you guys act like those guys aren't getting money already. They might even be getting money from agents already... it makes no sense to go to the draft with a definite lockout.

But I guess not everyone has long-term thinking skills.

-Smak
Actually, this is when it makes the most sense. After the lockout, there will be a new CBA in place that may have a serious impact on rookie wage scales and length of rookie contracts. By entering now, these guys know the kind of contract that they can expect (substantial and long). Waiting until after the lockout and when there is a new CBA in place is like rolling the proverbial dice.
Old 04-15-2011, 04:55 PM   #15
UwishUhadWall
Kids at the park dunk on me

UwishUhadWall has not been impressing people

Terrence Morris...

Start there.
UwishUhadWall is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: